The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What the f*ck are they saying

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
do you mean because it will be filled with a bunch of people or what?
You are correct. If everyone was in the fastlane, then it would no longer be fast. We are doing things different than the rest of society by design. If everyone was doing it, we would have to find a different way.

You seem to be mad at the world for some reason. I was a lot like you in high school. Authority just seems to be in the way. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying. It will not help you to be defiant to the point that it gets you in trouble and makes you angry. It would not hurt you to let the world be what it is. You can still do what you want and go where you want to go. It would just be easier without the anger.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
It is what you make of it. It is society's reality, not a lie.

I probably worded this bad as well. It's the biggest lie being fed to our youth in the history of America.

The lie that you won't be successful unless you go to college for 4-10+ years, have loads of debt and when your 50, you might be able to retire with a Mercedes and hefty little 401k. The lie is a slowlane dream.

If people would put in the time and effort to realize that the lie is just a society myth that isn't the slightest bit true, then their would be a lot more people on this forum. I'm not saying that people who want to have a career like a doctor, or scientist, or athlete isn't a good thing. They want to do those things, good for them! But, saying that you won't be successful/wealthy is just a big load of:totalbs:.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The lie that you won't be successful unless you go to college for 4-10+ years, have loads of debt and when your 50, you might be able to retire with a Mercedes and hefty little 401k. The lie is a slowlane dream.

In my opinion this is not a lie. It is simply the rules that society has come to accept and live by. Those of us here are choosing to not live by these rules and are taking the path less traveled. We are a special breed.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
You are correct. If everyone was in the fastlane, then it would no longer be fast. We are doing things different than the rest of society by design. If everyone was doing it, we would have to find a different way.

You seem to be mad at the world for some reason. I was a lot like you in high school. Authority just seems to be in the way. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying. It will not help you to be defiant to the point that it gets you in trouble and makes you angry. It would not hurt you to let the world be what it is. You can still do what you want and go where you want to go. It would just be easier without the anger.

You're probably the most right as anything I have heard on the rest of this thread.

I wasn't even being defiant though. If I do as I am told, then get yelled at with moderately harsh words, I'm not going to respect you anymore. You are both a crazy, rude, and ignorant person that doesn't deserve my respect. You just don't understand who these people think they are.

The way they walk around acting as if their police in a war torn country or something. corralling us in a small section of the campus during lunch like we're a bunch of cattle. It can't be for security reasons because there still classes going on.plus there are more than 3,000+ students in my school so nearly a thousand people in a slice of land the size of a medium sized grocery store. Talking to us however they want, barking orders. It's ridiculous.

It would make me more angry to just sit there and take it like a blind, defenseless puppy. If we can't change the world from what it is then why live on it in the first place.SCREW IT, IM MOVING TO THE MOON:tiphat: LOL! But seriously we're all hear to make a difference in the world, not follow the status quo.

And at the end of the day, I'm still going to build my wealth trinity to where I'll be happy to live off my money system, still going to be a mogul in my industry and probably national fame because of it and my age. But, I just don't like being others whipping boy, I used to always be one. But not anymore. No más.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
If we can't change the world from what it is then why live on it in the first place.SCREW IT, IM MOVING TO THE MOON LOL! But seriously we're all hear to make a difference in the world, not follow the status quo.
We don't need to change the world. We just need to change the world we live in. Your reality is all within your perspective. You will see this as you build your empire. ;)

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
We don't need to change the world. We just need to change the world we live in. Your reality is all within your perspective. You will see this as you build your empire. ;)

Thank you, I see what you're trying to say. I'm probably not going to change the lives of hundreds of millions of people to make them realize they can be more than what society wants them to be, but I can change the lives of the thousands of people I'll meet everyday. By the way, this empire is going to be so big, you'll need to go to the ISS to read the logo.:upyours::hurray:

D

DeletedUser394

Going back to the original topic, I don't understand why this college debate has to be had. It's actually one of few things that is very black and white.

If a person wants a professional career (doctor, lawyer, engineer, accountant, nurse, etc) then they absolutely need school.

For most other professions degrees could offer a foot in the door, or have marginal to no benefit at all. Graduating as a 17th century english major going to help you? Probably not, but if you enjoy it, then go for it.

Attending university and graduating is no more a guarantee of future success than dropping out or not attending and starting a business.

Entrepreneurship is hard. Most of the people that join the board talk about all the things 'they're going to do", and that they're destined for greatness, etc... and then they disappear never to be heard from again. Because real life is hard.

Nobody is forced to go to school, or do anything at all. What it comes down to is personal responsibility and to take that same responsibility for your own actions and choices.

Finally, I never understood 'those who can't do, teach'. Often times we get the example of an obese person teaching a class about nutrition and how you shouldn't listen to them.. why not? I mean, the fundamentals of proper nutrition are well known and researched. I actually had a nutrition class (not in university) held by someone that was slightly overweight. Was her information any less valid? Not at all, I learned quite a bit.

An atheist can teach Catholicism, a liberal can teach communism, an academic can teach the fundamental principles of running a business.

The quality of one's educators are the direct result of the school you go to (by way of your entrance grades). Shitty school will get you shitty educators sometimes. No one here would deny the credentials of an Ivy League professor or even most big name State schools.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
So was life exactly the same pre-9/11, pre-columbine, pre-texting, pre-Facebook, pre-twitter, pre-Instagram, pre- fricken wifi ?!?

No, it wasn't. I had a NES when I was 4. Graphics sucked. I slightly remember hearing about Columbine but my Grandmother changed the channel on the television quickly. Also we didn't have cable TV.
The Clinton scandal news was on during my after school cartoons. I didn't want to hear the president talk, I wanted to watch bugs bunny.

Oh yeah, know what growing up without AC is like? I do.
I didn't have a cell until I was 17 so texting I never really cared about. Don't have a Twitter or an Instagram now.
Your points show your ignorance to anything.

If you must know I remember just about everything from 95' up so...
2001 was the worst year of my life if you must know. My caretaker passed away and 9 months later the world flipped upside down again. I went to live with my mother who was never there and I had to take care of my older sister.

So taxes are just non existent wherever you live and If I didn't go to school my parents would go to jail. So tell me what privilege puts people in jail for not using it, that's why it's a PRIVILEGE!
You know why it's a privilege? Because if you were born in India, you'd probably be dead by now. If you had been born in just about any Asian country excluding Japan, you'd have to pay massive amounts of money for the first few grades. Had you been born in Africa, you might be drawn in as a child solider.
You hit the sperm lottery to be in the states.

It's a F*cking privilege that you are pissing on. You know why parents get locked up for that? Because it's irresponsible parenting. Screwing up a child's life for not sending them to school. High school might seem stupid but that is where most people choose to be what they are going to be for the rest of their lives.

I can see you're pretty literate. Guess who taught you that?

You are 17 so you have much yet to see. Hopefully you can become as humble as I have in the past few years.
Life aint so black and white.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Glad to know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Going back to school is something I'd like to do once my fastlane reaches a point where I can comfortably do so.
Would love the time to go to endless history, classical civ courses once I don't have to make ends meet.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I wish I got to experience the 90s before America went to complete dog shit.

The 80's was were it was at my friend.

TvcstZy.jpg

That is all.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Going back to the original topic, I don't understand why this college debate has to be had. It's actually one of few things that is very black and white.

If a person wants a professional career (doctor, lawyer, engineer, accountant, nurse, etc) then they absolutely need school.

For most other professions degrees could offer a foot in the door, or have marginal to no benefit at all. Graduating as a 17th century english major going to help you? Probably not, but if you enjoy it, then go for it.

Attending university and graduating is no more a guarantee of future success than dropping out or not attending and starting a business.

Entrepreneurship is hard. Most of the people that join the board talk about all the things 'they're going to do", and that they're destined for greatness, etc... and then they disappear never to be heard from again. Because real life is hard.

Nobody is forced to go to school, or do anything at all. What it comes down to is personal responsibility and to take that same responsibility for your own actions and choices.

Finally, I never understood 'those who can't do, teach'. Often times we get the example of an obese person teaching a class about nutrition and how you shouldn't listen to them.. why not? I mean, the fundamentals of proper nutrition are well known and researched. I actually had a nutrition class (not in university) held by someone that was slightly overweight. Was her information any less valid? Not at all, I learned quite a bit.

An atheist can teach Catholicism, a liberal can teach communism, an academic can teach the fundamental principles of running a business.

The quality of one's educators are the direct result of the school you go to (by way of your entrance grades). Shitty school will get you shitty educators sometimes. No one here would deny the credentials of an Ivy League professor or even most big name State schools.
Very well said.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
This forum needs a block (make invisible) thread function.
Agreed. If only people spent the same time on their businesses, or generating ideas for a business, as they do thinking about and writing insanely long posts, then we would see a lot more AMA threads on the forum. For those who say "well you read the whole thing", I didn't, only a few in between posts by people who have quality input. The rest is just rehash of what has been written many times. Not trying to piss anyone off, just my 2 cents.

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
Agreed. If only people spent the same time on their businesses, or generating ideas for a business, as they do thinking about and writing insanely long posts, then we would see a lot more AMA threads on the forum. For those who say "well you read the whole thing", I didn't, only a few in between posts by people who have quality input. The rest is just rehash of what has been written many times. Not trying to piss anyone off, just my 2 cents.

I agree. Not to patronize @TrestonIngle, but he is just 16. I was like that at his age too. I had a bad attitude, I played video games, ate ice-cream, and I thought the world owed everything to me. He has a whole 5 years until he's 21. I'm not defending his attitude or walls of text, cause they truthfully ruined the thread for me, but cut him a break. Everyone was 16 once.

Also, @TrestonIngle, Don't listen to people who say you have a lot of time to learn or do stuff. Don't use that as an excuse to not do anything if you're serious about starting a business. Actually I guess it applies to anything in life. Seriously, DO NOT let your age be a limiting factor for taking action.

Just do something, be humble, and stop complaining. And that other guy is right, this isn't reddit. Nobody likes a pessimist.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
@TrestonIngle I have new for you...You will have people judging you all your life, like the rest of us. We get what you're saying. I believe you just believe we don't get you. The Negative mindset we've just overcome. You aren't the first and not the only one that has been abused verbally, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, or physically. Pretty much it's the victim mentality. We've all had to let go of that theory to get here. So This is what you're not getting. Victim mentality about how all unfair it is in the world doesn't get us anywhere. You let go of all that, and focus on what you want to create.

If you look at any successful man or woman they have haters and lovers in the business. You have to learn to stay neutral, and let go of other people's negative thoughts and messages to you. You battle with it in your mind, go back and forth, and if you were focused you wouldn't care what the world thinks. You can't change, fix, save, anyone. You can walk the walk and send the message. If you walk the walk you will have to learn to communicate with non-violence. Teach others to do the same through actions and words.

We create our reality, and sure other people try to create your reality. Whose in control? This is what I mean by maturing and growing. Developing. You have to learn to respect other people, and no when to listen, and when not to say stuff. You have to learn to hone that energy in a positive direction versus venting it out at the world.

Take that energy and throw into your work versus complaining about how ugly the world is. The rest of us tune it out to be productive. We can't make a difference if we're dwelling on the negatives.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
No, it wasn't. I had a NES when I was 4. Graphics sucked. I slightly remember hearing about Columbine but my Grandmother changed the channel on the television quickly. Also we didn't have cable TV.
The Clinton scandal news was on during my after school cartoons. I didn't want to hear the president talk, I wanted to watch bugs bunny.

Oh yeah, know what growing up without AC is like? I do.
I didn't have a cell until I was 17 so texting I never really cared about. Don't have a Twitter or an Instagram now.
Your points show your ignorance to anything.

If you must know I remember just about everything from 95' up so...
2001 was the worst year of my life if you must know. My caretaker passed away and 9 months later the world flipped upside down again. I went to live with my mother who was never there and I had to take care of my older sister.

You know why it's a privilege? Because if you were born in India, you'd probably be dead by now. If you had been born in just about any Asian country excluding Japan, you'd have to pay massive amounts of money for the first few grades. Had you been born in Africa, you might be drawn in as a child solider.
You hit the sperm lottery to be in the states.

It's a F*cking privilege that you are pissing on. You know why parents get locked up for that? Because it's irresponsible parenting. Screwing up a child's life for not sending them to school. High school might seem stupid but that is where most people choose to be what they are going to be for the rest of their lives.

I can see you're pretty literate. Guess who taught you that?

You are 17 so you have much yet to see. Hopefully you can become as humble as I have in the past few years.
Life aint so black and white.

My ignorance to anything? You're just saying that you were less fortunate growing up. The twitter and Instagram crap is what I wish people in my generation got to grow up without. The things I listed were just references to things nobody can go 2 minutes without in today's society. The stupidity of people now a days.

So by what you said about others being less fortunate than I am being able to go to school, I'm pissing on a "privilege"? There are kids with no clean water or food, does that mean when I don't feel like eating mcdonalds, I'm pissing on a privilege to eat food that tastes good but is bad for me? Your logic makes no sense. Just because someone doesn't have a basic human need doesn't make it a privilege for everyone else.

I understand how school is important to people that don't know where they want to stand in life but it's arrogant of you to say I'm being ungrateful about not appreciating something I don't NEED. I'm not going to learn anything new by the time I graduate, but I'm still going to graduate.

Where is the correlation between parents responsibility and attending school? If a kid is a prodigy genius that would finish high school and graduate school in 10 years summa com laude, But wants to put his time into a technology that would change the world. What would you have them thrown in jail? I am humble, but I also Deserve basic respect as a human being, which I wasn't shown. If I'm showing arrogance on my part then I apologize, I'm not trying to, but it's how I feel about the subject.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
@TrestonIngle I have new for you...You will have people judging you all your life, like the rest of us. We get what you're saying. I believe you just believe we don't get you. The Negative mindset we've just overcome. You aren't the first and not the only one that has been abused verbally, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, or physically. Pretty much it's the victim mentality. We've all had to let go of that theory to get here. So This is what you're not getting. Victim mentality about how all unfair it is in the world doesn't get us anywhere. You let go of all that, and focus on what you want to create.

If you look at any successful man or woman they have haters and lovers in the business. You have to learn to stay neutral, and let go of other people's negative thoughts and messages to you. You battle with it in your mind, go back and forth, and if you were focused you wouldn't care what the world thinks. You can't change, fix, save, anyone. You can walk the walk and send the message. If you walk the walk you will have to learn to communicate with non-violence. Teach others to do the same through actions and words.

We create our reality, and sure other people try to create your reality. Whose in control? This is what I mean by maturing and growing. Developing. You have to learn to respect other people, and no when to listen, and when not to say stuff. You have to learn to hone that energy in a positive direction versus venting it out at the world.

Take that energy and throw into your work versus complaining about how ugly the world is. The rest of us tune it out to be productive. We can't make a difference if we're dwelling on the negatives.

I was never dwelling on the negatives I was just stating that school for me is less productive then working on my

business. I was just telling a story about how ridiculous people in my school think they have power over me or

anyone for that matter. Nothing more, nothing less.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
You have no idea if this will be true. In fact, statistically, it probably won't be.

I never thought of myself as a statistic. Mostly considering that I don't fall into the stereotype of any group, race, ethnicity, religion,political following. Everything I am is different in a totally different aspect from anything else I Believe in or know.

I know I will make it, that is FACT! If not this project then one of my fail safes that would help me get there, but this is the one I know is the most important and goes against our countries' and even entrepreneurial status quo.

I don't believe in statistics till something happens because every statistic I've been compared to is wrong. But like you said before, I could be wrong.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Stop waisting time explaining all this to us. Act and do. WALK YOUR WALK! Talking isn't action. Let us know when you make a million.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
I'll def
Stop waisting time explaining all this to us. Act and do. WALK YOUR WALK! Talking isn't action. Let us know when you make a million.
ill definitely let you know, but like I said, you'll have to wait to early 2015 for a progress thread. Not because I'm not WALKING THE WALK right now, but for legal reasons. Nothing to do with my age but others. When I make the first 100k, 500k, and 1m will be in that thread too, just for you:)

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Well I did not mean for my post to get this intense. Sorry. I just hate when people are trapping others into the slow lane. She says be free be an etrepreneur but then teaches it the way a slow laner would. That was my real problem :)

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Also I would like to add, there is a constant theme going around that even if we have the money for school we shouldnt because we can all learn it elsewhere for free.

1. College experience is amazing. Seriously, every aspect of it.
2. I love educating myself. And of course I can go learn it for free on wikipedia. Hell I created the mobile versions. But it isn't the same as participating with peers and having an indepth conversation.

Do I care for grades. Yea. I like the ego boost of a high grade. But other than that a c or d haha I dont care. It's one grade in my entire life that wont matter.

As per payment. Guys if you own a business you can get so many grants/tax breaks etc... Lol learn the system before you call me a dumbass for spending money. Cause I got my a$$ through my associates degree for free. In fact I was getting paid 2k for a couple semesters.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I'll def. ill definitely let you know, but like I said, you'll have to wait to early 2015 for a progress thread. Not because I'm not WALKING THE WALK right now, but for legal reasons. Nothing to do with my age but others. When I make the first 100k, 500k, and 1m will be in that thread too, just for you:)
Then do it.

Hopefully by then you are humble enough to talk to.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps, so now I'm using my benefits. I'm getting paid to go to school. So now I have 4 years to grow my income and not get a job when I graduate. Even if I find a goldmine, I'm still going to finish school.

It's probably the easiest thing I've done in the past decade. Show up for a few hours a day, study a bit, absolutely relaxing.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I woke up at 4pm today
Woo!

Then I had a shower, a cup of tea, chilled out, read a little, wrote a little, laughed a little.
Now its late and I'm opening up a drink.

I am no millionaire, I still am confused, but hell... There are some good things to my life financially.
I hope you at least get that for yourself.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
What are you confused for. It's all very clear! You just didn't put your sunglasses on to block out the matrix.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.