The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What the f*ck are they saying

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Contrary to popular belief, being forced to wake up at 9:15 is actually a terrible, terrible experience. Especially on a Friday! But every week for the next two months I will be forced to do this. Can you take a guess as to why? It isn't a job per say, but rather school. And I am just so bloody upset.

When I started university I already knew my first two years would be a waste (thank you liberal-art schools), but damn was I excited to begin taking classes pertaining to my major(s) Marketing and Entrepreneurship. But F*ck. I was wrong.

Today I am sitting in a class with a "esteemed" entrepreneur whom had the opportunity to work with a fairly distinguished group. She now works for this university in Florida. Guess what, this university is now the fastest growing Entrepreneurship program in the country. Guess who wrote this article... can you say Conflict of Interest. Also fastest growing, yea if you have 1 student before and now 50 of course you're going to be the fastest growing (percentage wise).

Now here's the issue. You would think the 'fastest growing entrepreneurship program' would actually be educationally beneficial, but it isn't. I am sitting here literally hours after closing a successful deal in my hedge fund. In truth I'm ecstatic to learn a thing or two, but not a single day has passed where a class has taught me something worthwhile. Worst, this class is literally the epitome for the failure our education system is leading towards.

She is teaching material that is completely false. She is trying to convince the class that talking to customers or defining if a market exist (via the actual people that would be purchasing) is the wrong way to go. Like what...

The worst part is she is actually manipulating students to believe in her concept. Here I sit challenging her "opinions" which she claims are facts and a student next to me is saying I should stop arguing because I am missing the point.

It is truly sad how these programs are run. Let's not even get started on my other classes. At this point I truly feel they are just creating content to have the ability to say they have a program. Some of these "full-semester" classes can be taught in 2 weeks top.

[HASHTAG]#throwingmoneydownthetoilet[/HASHTAG]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
those that cant do teach

I took one college class, before I dropped out.

Business class

Everyone sits down waiting, teacher walks into the room and says "im going to teach you how to create profitable businesses"

Red Flags, Lots of Red Flags

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Yea I love it, my venture finance professor failed his business venture. Like what. He couldn't finance it properly. RED FLAGS. Now he just works as a teacher. SMH.

As per "those that cant do, teach" I agree majority of the time. But I love teaching and most definitely will when I am older! so roar, I would like to think I can do some things :)

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Just saw that movie. Couldn't have supplied a more perfect clip.

FANTASY LAND !

G

Guest24480

I agree. The director of the entrepreneurship program at my school has never even started her own business. Congrats you have a PhD, but lead by damn example..

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
a student next to me is saying I should stop arguing because I am missing the point.
You are missing the point. By miles.

The goal of college isn't entrepreneurship. It's indentured slavery.

There are two types of teachers. Those who've done and got bored and those who know but can't do.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
...Or they like helping others learn.

I'm sure he'd rather be at a university instead of running a multi-million dollar business.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
...Or they like helping others learn.

Yes they exsist, but they are the exception not the rule

Business is a very unique pursuit

Lots of theories are cute in textbooks but don't apply in the real world

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Why would you feel a need to challenge the teacher?
I use to challenge the teachers. I needed to know if it is worth stay in their class. I didn't go to school for easy A's, I went to learn. Why the hell am I going to sit there when one, it's being taught wrong and two, I know more about the subject then the teacher.

That way I could drop classes quickly without risking my time or money.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
Quick story

One time back in high school

World History class

A student asked the teacher what AD meant

The teacher replied "After Death of Christ"

Me "NOOOOOOOOO"

Teacher "um yeah"

Me "AD means Anno Domini, meaning the birth of Christ. If BC is Before Christ and AD is After Death, that would mean our calendars stopped when he was born, which isnt the case"

I got suspended for 2 weeks LOL

True Story

G

Guest24480

Quick story

World History class

Me "NOOOOOOOOO"

Teacher "um yeah"

Me "AD means Anno Domini, meaning the birth of Christ. If BC is Before Christ and AD is After Death, that would mean our calendars stopped when he was born, which isnt the case"

True Story
Good for you..although I have a feeling you may not have told the whole story. If you got suspended for literally just saying that then that's a little pathetic on the school's part.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Good for you..although I have a feeling you may not have told the whole story. If you got suspended for literally just saying that then that's a little pathetic on the school's part.

My 8yo kid was sent to the principal's office because after finishing his work he dared to read a book instead of staring at the wall.

firmwear

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 26, 2013
Quick story

World History class

Me "NOOOOOOOOO"

Teacher "um yeah"

True Story

Hate to nitpick, but Anno Domini means, "in the year of our Lord."

Also, according to the story, Jesus came back to life, right? So he is not really dead and we are still living in his age.

I am not am expert on religious stuff but atleast the Latin meaning I wrote is correct.

PS: Why are all the educational horror stories coming from Florida?

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)

Also, according to the story, Jesus came back to life, right? So he is not really dead and we are still living in his age.

I am not am expert on religious stuff but atleast the Latin meaning I wrote is correct.

AD means Anno Domini, correct, which is "Year of the Lord". The AD starts at year 1 (there is no zero, that is why the 3rd millennium started in 2001 and not 2000), which is the birth of Christ. The age of Christ starts at his birth, not at his crucifixion. From a religious point of view, Christ has died, went to hell, and then three days later he rose from the death. (just telling you as piece of info, not trying to convert you. REPENT! REPENT! YOU FILTHY SINNER lol)

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I'm sure he'd rather be at a university instead of running a multi-million dollar business.

Some business school professors earn more than successful business owners. Also, a placement at Harvard or Wharton is mega prestigious, you meet presidents and kings that way, and educate their kids, which is a wonderful springboard to certain markets. It's hard to really peg a price on that; you could be making $10M/yr right now with a great product and the Waltons or the Clintons wouldn't return your calls.

Also, imagine the investment potential if you were clearing a solid $500K/yr (plus a legendary pension and fringe benefit package including preferential admission and free tuition at UPenn or Harvard for all your kids) and had a stream of bright-eyed genius IQ kids that you could watch intimately for months, seeing who was all talk and who was executing, then, when they need their first backers, offering huge percentages for paltry sums, you toss them some money and ride it all the way up. It's the kind of VC opportunity only rivaled by Shark Tank.

Business degrees are highly contingent on where you get them, moreso than an engineering degree or a computer science degree. If you go to a small state school, you're going to be taught by a woman who owned Sally's Pizza and made $90K/yr or a man who owned Ed's Quicklube. If you go to the best of the best, you might not be taught by people clearing 8 figures, but the professors there do often make very high 6 or low 7 figure annual salaries. The most important part, though, is that your peers at those places are often already successful-they got in because of that success. It's the power of those networks that is what you're paying for, not because the actual education is going to make you a millionaire.

Like so many things in life, go big or go home. If you can get into a school that's training the founder of the next Lockheed Martin or Google, do it. If you're just going to get a degree from an unheard of state school (that, of course, only charges $5k/yr less than Harvard), why bother? Ask yourself, looking at the tuition, if the exchange of $100K for a degree is more likely to lead to you profiting, or them profiting.

Last edited:

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Well he said that the guy tried to start something up and couldn't fund it. So in this case, it seemed like "Those who can't do, teach". would be correct.

G

GuestUser113

Contrary to popular belief, being forced to wake up at 9:15 is actually a terrible, terrible experience. Especially on a Friday! But every week for the next two months I will be forced to do this. Can you take a guess as to why? It isn't a job per say, but rather school. And I am just so bloody upset.

When I started university I already knew my first two years would be a waste (thank you liberal-art schools), but damn was I excited to begin taking classes pertaining to my major(s) Marketing and Entrepreneurship. But F*ck. I was wrong.

Today I am sitting in a class with a "esteemed" entrepreneur whom had the opportunity to work with a fairly distinguished group. She now works for this university in Florida. Guess what, this university is now the fastest growing Entrepreneurship program in the country. Guess who wrote this article... can you say Conflict of Interest. Also fastest growing, yea if you have 1 student before and now 50 of course you're going to be the fastest growing (percentage wise).

Now here's the issue. You would think the 'fastest growing entrepreneurship program' would actually be educationally beneficial, but it isn't. I am sitting here literally hours after closing a successful deal in my hedge fund. In truth I'm ecstatic to learn a thing or two, but not a single day has passed where a class has taught me something worthwhile. Worst, this class is literally the epitome for the failure our education system is leading towards.

She is teaching material that is completely false. She is trying to convince the class that talking to customers or defining if a market exist (via the actual people that would be purchasing) is the wrong way to go. Like what...

The worst part is she is actually manipulating students to believe in her concept. Here I sit challenging her "opinions" which she claims are facts and a student next to me is saying I should stop arguing because I am missing the point.

It is truly sad how these programs are run. Let's not even get started on my other classes. At this point I truly feel they are just creating content to have the ability to say they have a program. Some of these "full-semester" classes can be taught in 2 weeks top.

[HASHTAG]#throwingmoneydownthetoilet[/HASHTAG]

I thought of this when I read the op.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
What's funny is that there are several universities that now offer entreprenuer degrees. Ironically, these degrees do nothing more than get you prepared to work in the business world for other people rather than teaching you how to start your own. If someone's gonna become one, they just do it. No need for a degree to make you certified. How these schools managed to create a four year program from something you can learn more effectively through a few books and hands on experience is beyond me. But here's a list of the schools that have such a program.

http://www.slu.edu/x17964.xml

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I use to challenge the teachers. I needed to know if it is worth stay in their class. I didn't go to school for easy A's, I went to learn. Why the hell am I going to sit there when one, it's being taught wrong and two, I know more about the subject then the teacher.

I am going to university to learn. I already have a successful business. But there is always more to learn. I am still 20 and I have 40 years worth of knowledge I can utilize for my future. I am damn sure to challenge everyone who professes they have the answer to a successful business. Always ask the question why and you will finally find an answer to a new million-dollar business idea.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL

So you break it down even further to make me seem like an idiot

don-draper-slow-clap.gif

AD means Anno Domini which translate to "in the year of our Lord" which MEANS the year Jesus is born

Me "AD means Anno Domini, meaning the birth of Christ.

I didn't say translates, I said means

Oh boy! A religious debate on TFLF, as if there wasn't a ton of noise already.

I'm no expert on human relations, but I'm pretty sure you just made yourself sound like a smartass

Good job bro, send me a link to your progress thread

firmwear

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 26, 2013
So you break it down even further to make me seem like an idiot

don-draper-slow-clap.gif

AD means Anno Domini which translate to "in the year of our Lord" which MEANS the year Jesus is born

I didn't say translates, I said means

Oh boy! A religious debate on TFLF, as if there wasn't a ton of noise already.

I'm no expert on human relations, but I'm pretty sure you just made yourself sound like a smartass

Good job bro, send me a link to your progress thread

Wow, sorry to hurt your feelings. I did not even say you were wrong, I just wanted to add that the meaning was slightly more intricate than his birth.

Also, I am not religious myself and did not intend to steer the thread in that direction.

But yeah, I will be careful not to reply to your posts in the future. Sorry for annoying you.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
The sad thing is that with business school tuition costs, somebody who had been really successful could probably start a completely badass entrepreneurship school with people who were actually successful.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Can you take a guess as to why? It isn't a job per say, but rather school.

Then why the F*ck are you going to school? Are you enjoying the stress? Drop it and do something more useful for you!

mememan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 16, 2013
Do what I did: skip classes constantly. I have C's in some business GRADUATE CLASSES based purely on attendance. School is a complete joke. Hope you aren't paying to be there :p

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Even though we all $h!t on US education system. Plenty of people overseas want and value US education. Many of them studying in the US and head back home after done with school.

In my opinion I think the "education industry" is going to see some major changes within the next 3-5 years obviously because tuition costs are through the roof & because the younger generation don't want to be in a boat load of debt.

Education is going to be an interesting industry with a lot of opportunity in the next 3+ years. I think we will see a lot of private schooling pop-up under membership site models and make a lot of money.

****But back to entrepreneurship & business courses,

Entrepreneurship can't be taught in my opinion your either are a Entrepreneur or not (Some people get exposed to it earlier or later then other people). The colleges are just doing a great job selling on the recent trends & hype to profit from.

Were currently in a Bubble of people thinking they can run a business BECAUSE it's the current trend or the "Cool" thing todo "Everybody is creating a startup or joining one".

Zuckerburg created a social network side and became a billionaire.
Instagram sold for 1 Billion+ in less then two years.
Whatsapp sold for 16 Billion.
Joe Blow blogs about cat poop and is making 100k off of adsense.
Suzy Q has started affiliate marketing and just quit her job.
Jenna Z makes daily Vlogs on youtube and is making 50k a year.

**Capital is so VAST at the moment:

Investors have no where to park there money except for private equity and are willing to invest in anything to get a return.

(5-Year Bond-1.8%, 10-Year Bond-2.6%)
(Stock Market hitting new highs everyday)
(Real estate still overpriced)
(Savings accounts are giving less than 1%)

Where also seeing a lot of tech companies starting to go public with 0 Profits, been losing money for years. <----Anyone remember 98,99,00?

The second half of this decade is going to be very interesting and i'm excited to see what happens.

jake1720

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 9, 2014
I'm still in college studying engineering. To be honest I like being in the college environment around young people. Sort of rejuvenating. I learned a lot about math and science which actually helps me shape the world a little bit. Once I get FI from a venture I'm gone. I'm learning how to sell and studying copywriting every day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.