The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What online businesses should people with no experience get into ?

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
Hey everyone, so after reading TMF "loved it" I just got really curious about online businesses, and it's been a week that I am on this forum reading a bunch of gold posts for 4 hours every night afterwork, in order to find out what businesses should I get into.

I have zero experience with computer whatsoever, no marketing skills, really nothing that would allow me to add value or to make some profit online, but I'm ready to learn though.
I know that Online businesses aren't the only way to the fastlane, but I'm really attracted to the computer lifestyle and I would LOVE to make it happen.

So after one week on this forum I have learned a lot, but I am still really confused, I don't know how to get started.

What would you do if you could go back where you started ?
What skills would you learn ?
What books would you read ?
What business would you get into ?

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey everyone, so after reading TMF "loved it" I just got really curious about online businesses, and it's been a week that I am on this forum reading a bunch of gold posts for 4 hours every night afterwork, in order to find out what businesses should I get into.

I have zero experience with computer whatsoever, no marketing skills, really nothing that would allow me to add value or to make some profit online, but I'm ready to learn though.
I know that Online businesses aren't the only way to the fastlane, but I'm really attracted to the computer lifestyle and I would LOVE to make it happen.

So after one week on this forum I have learned a lot, but I am still really confused, I don't know how to get started.

Thank you
Check out the responses in this recent thread:
> INTRO - How To Make Money With No Money

Let us know in this thread what your main takeaways are from that thread.

Most importantly, what will you do this coming week to help someone (and ideally get paid).

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
Malaysian cooking couple become YouTube sensation with over 165k subscribers
The husband and wife surely has no Masters in Engineering or MBA. But they know how to cook local cuisine and their USP : Speaking fluently in their country's official language (different from their mother tongue).

If I have no idea about computers, I'll start a private tutoring. Teaching languages. My home country is multilingual, we speak more than one language.

Since I'm an introvert, I'll learn the skills to approach people and converse with them.

It's not necessary to become expert in technology if you're attracted to computer lifestyle because most technology nowadays are designed to be user friendly in a short time. Or else, they'll lose money. If you can access this forum, that means you've already know enough.

I won't read much from books cause it's expensive (compared to online blogs/websites) and sometimes it prevent me from taking action but, other than MJ books, read Felix Dennis - How to Get Rich.

Find what you good at (obviously outside the digital world) and use the Internet to deliver it.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Go for affiliate marketing, you can how to market a product.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Thank you

What's your timeline to be successful and put money in your bank account?

If 5+ years, then e-commerce/Amazon FBA/etc.

If < 1 year, then service based businesses.

I'm personally biased towards products since I believe each person can create a product of value that they care about. However, there's a long learning curve and constant reinvestment, so it takes years to build up inventory and scale if you're starting from 0.

If you're starting with capital, then just buy a business, run it into the ground, learn from the experience, and find how to do it successfully on the next go around.

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
The husband and wife surely has no Masters in Engineering or MBA. But they know how to cook local cuisine and their USP : Speaking fluently in their country's official language (different from their mother tongue).

If I have no idea about computers, I'll start a private tutoring. Teaching languages. My home country is multilingual, we speak more than one language.

Since I'm an introvert, I'll learn the skills to approach people and converse with them.

It's not necessary to become expert in technology if you're attracted to computer lifestyle because most technology nowadays are designed to be user friendly in a short time. Or else, they'll lose money. If you can access this forum, that means you've already know enough.

I won't read much from books cause it's expensive (compared to online blogs/websites) and sometimes it prevent me from taking action but, other than MJ books, read Felix Dennis - How to Get Rich.

Find what you good at (obviously outside the digital world) and use the Internet to deliver it.

Thanks for your reply,
I don't think I have any skills outside the digital world that I could monetize online

Thanks for your reply

I don't think I have any skills outside the digital world that I could monetize online aside from plumbing.
I could make a plumbing company and make a website for it, but where I live there's a lot of competition that'd be hard to stand out.

And I don't see it as a fastlane business, my dad had a plumbing company and it was nothing more than a 9-5, he traded his time for money until he retired and didn't left with much money, and he worked his butt off since he was 18.

I see your point about books being expensive and some might even be a waste of time, but reading TML helped me so much in terms of mindset and perspective on life that I want to read more, I know there is some gems out there

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
Anything that doesn't require capital.
It will give you experience and few lessons.

Capital without experience mostly ends up into failure.

I'm personally biased towards products since I believe each person can create a product of value that they care about. However, there's a long learning curve and constant reinvestment, so it takes years to build up inventory and scale if you're starting from 0.

If you're starting with capital, then just buy a business, run it into the ground, learn from the experience, and find how to do it successfully on the next go around.

I would love to put money in my bank account ASAP =)

I am looking for a biz with high earning potential that I could start right away but not FBA.

I might be wrong but I feel like Amazon FBA is over-saturated, and has low earning potential in 2020, I feel like it's just a complimentary job to make some extra money on the side, and also it doesn't teach any skills that would benefits me longterm except for dealing with manufacturer and negotiation.
But then again I might be totally wrong it's just how I see it.

What skills is required to get into service based businesses ?

Thank you so much for your reply, really insightful.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Mario_fastlaner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 1, 2019
Milano
Anything that doesn't require capital.
It will give you experience and few lessons.

Capital without experience mostly ends up into failure.
Which is valuable anyway. Everything is better than do nothing.

Phikey

Fortune favours the bold.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Nov 7, 2017
Sydney Australia
Just don't get stuck in analysis paralysis. People stay 'wantrapreneurs' for years, spinning their wheels and never trying. You're going to fail at a lot of things as you start this journey, better to start with anything, fail fast and learn fast.
I think it took me 3 or 4 businesses before I finally found what works for me. I made so many stupid mistakes with those businesses but it forced me to learn and that's what you need.
I recommend finding a simple need and providing a solution. Honestly, service based businesses are the easiest to get started in and add value. They'll always be there; people need people to do stuff for them. If I were to start my first business again, I would go offline and do some sort of pressure-washing business or something like that. You'll learn a lot very quickly. You'll be talking directly to your customers which is so important. You can get this set up and make money in your first week with minimal investment.
Clear need, clear solution, clear steps to do it.
I think I saw a thread here (might have been on the INSIDERS) of a guy that did this exact thing. He started a pressure washing business because he needed to start something at all and built it up with employees and everything within a year or so.

My only other advice is to not look at your first business as needing to be some million dollar idea that you'll build for 10 years and then sell. Maybe that happens, but learn while doing first.

Goodluck!

EliE77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 26, 2020
Paris
Just don't get stuck in analysis paralysis. People stay 'wantrapreneurs' for years, spinning their wheels and never trying. You're going to fail at a lot of things as you start this journey, better to start with anything, fail fast and learn fast.
I think it took me 3 or 4 businesses before I finally found what works for me. I made so many stupid mistakes with those businesses but it forced me to learn and that's what you need.
I recommend finding a simple need and providing a solution. Honestly, service based businesses are the easiest to get started in and add value. They'll always be there; people need people to do stuff for them. If I were to start my first business again, I would go offline and do some sort of pressure-washing business or something like that. You'll learn a lot very quickly. You'll be talking directly to your customers which is so important. You can get this set up and make money in your first week with minimal investment.
Clear need, clear solution, clear steps to do it.
I think I saw a thread here (might have been on the INSIDERS) of a guy that did this exact thing. He started a pressure washing business because he needed to start something at all and built it up with employees and everything within a year or so.

My only other advice is to not look at your first business as needing to be some million dollar idea that you'll build for 10 years and then sell. Maybe that happens, but learn while doing first.

Goodluck!

That's some great advice, you couldn't be more right.

I really want to do something online though, I am going to look at all the service based businesses, pick one and get started right away.
Will try my hardest to make it work, if it doesn't, I'll start a plumbing company or something.

Thank you for your reply, it hits home.

Anavore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Sep 24, 2016
Egypt
The answer is always in your DNA.

Find your hidden skills and talents.

Then, think about how you can use them to solve problems.

All while enjoying it.

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada
Check out the responses in this recent thread:
> INTRO - How To Make Money With No Money

Let us know in this thread what your main takeaways are from that thread.

Most importantly, what will you do this coming week to help someone (and ideally get paid).
Hi. I'm not OP, but I just read that entire thread and I found a lot of value in it. Thanks for sharing!

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada

I also enjoyed both of Felix Dennis' books, especially The Narrow Road.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.