The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What laptop have you got?

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
How are the various Chrombooks for battery life?

I've only really traveled with my Samsung Chromebook, since it's super small and can fit on my lap easily on airplanes. I can get about 5-6 hours of use depending on what I'm doing. It has an SDcard slot, so sometimes I load it up with movies and kill it after about two feature length films.

My coworker can get about 8-9 hours out of his new touchscreen chromebook. The Acer chromebook claims to get 13 hours of battery. Depends on what you have and how you use it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
@MJ DeMarco did you ever start using your Google Chromebook?

I am obsessed. They're so cheap, and so great.

I currently have a Toshiba Chromebook. It does 99% of what I need a computer for. The heavy lifting 1% you shouldn't be doing on a laptop anyway. (design work, etc...)

I previously had a Macbook and swore by it, and I am telling you .... I like the Chromebook MORE because of the Google seamless integration.

https://www.google.com/chromebook/

Holy shit this has been my exact same setup for a year.

I hate laptops. They are always impossible to fix and don't last as long as desktops. I would rather work on a desktop all the time.

But for when I do need to be on the go, my Chromebook is great. They weigh nothing, they boot up instantly, and it's exactly what I want on a mobile computer- simple internet access. Can't argue with the price either, mine was $200 with a couple discounts.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
2014 Macbook Pro 13" Retina that I bought refurbished. Put some miles on this thing already in the last 6 months with lots of travel and a handful of drops. One of the best machines I've ever owned.

I'm itching for the new 12" Macbook, but the processor just isn't up to snuff yet. If you're traveling, get the lightest gear you can.

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
MacBook Pro 15-inch Retina Late 2014 version
Was a windows xp laptop user before.

What I love about the mac is the feel of metal, build quality, the trackpad it has is the first one that made me ditch the mouse.
Remember when I had a windows laptop, always had to bring the mouse with me.

I'd buy a chromebook but I use mac-specific software so there was no way to shortcut it...

Why 15 inch? Extra 2 inches make a big difference for me when working (I tested 13 inch one before getting 15 inch one).

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
2014 Macbook Pro 13" Retina that I bought refurbished. Put some miles on this thing already in the last 6 months with lots of travel and a handful of drops. One of the best machines I've ever owned.

I'm itching for the new 12" Macbook, but the processor just isn't up to snuff yet. If you're traveling, get the lightest gear you can.

The design is of the new 12" definitely nice. I did have a chance to try it out at the store. The keyboard would take some getting used to.
The new revolutionary iPad Pro is out with a revolutionary Apple Pencil is out too LOL Not sure why I am laughing... Apple is good about marketing their products. Apple is good about creating "desire" in people to "have it".

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
I have a Dell Lattitude e6440. Bought it to flip, but then remembered that I needed a new laptop so I kept it. Has 3rd gen i7 and 16gb ram. starts up in under 30 seconds, a little heavy, but a solid all around kind of laptop if you can only have one. I dislike the keyboard and craftsmanship of the body, but the guts of the laptop are really solid and is a workhorse. It came with a year or two warranty, and I've had to use it three times since purchasing, so there's that. probably a 6/10 rating if I had to give one.

Never bothered to mess with a chromebook. Do they have hdmi ports? I travel a decent amount, would like something lighter, but would need it for watching tv in my hotel room.

iAmAttila

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Aug 6, 2014
I got a macbookpro 15" retina. Was a windows guy so was super hesitant to switch but macs are really superior. For me these are the selling points. You lift the lid its ready that instant to use. You dont wait for wifi to reconnect. It has killer battery life like no other. The shortcuts like 3 swinger swipe between desktops is a productivity booster.

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
My situation:

I have a desktop and I also have a laptop.

My desktop is about 3 years old and is my primary driver for school and other activities. Its an HP pavilion, with 1 TB of hard drive space. It came with a 22 inch LCD monitor... and currently runs through VGA. I have a second monitor hooked up to it just help multi-task events. When I acquired this computer is costed $750.00 I believe... in around that range.

My laptop on the other hand is a Apple Macbook Pro 13" retina display. I bought this thing 2 weeks ago and it costed over $2000 with a pair of BEATS headphones. The one thing I like about my Macbook is the compatibility with my iPhone, so I can send texts/iMessages from my Macbook. I think its a really cool feature. Plus, if I store some thing on the iCloud, it instantly accessible from my phone or Macbook, which is very useful. The battery works great and you could not ask for a better screen resolution. Truly Apple does make the best pictures for personal computers on the market by far.

Why do I have both systems? The reason I have both is because I am getting into web development and coding. I already had a PC as a main driver and I wanted a mac so I could have both kinds of platforms to work off of. If I ever wanted to design an application for iOS, I believe it might be a little easier to create with a Mac product.

Here is the bottom line.... Compare an Apple and a PC with the same specs, the PC comes out every time on price. Like I said, my PC that I bought 3 years ago has better specs than my 2 week old Macbook and I paid over $1250 more for the Apple. You pay a PREMIUM price for a APPLE. So really it comes down to preference. What do you intend on using the laptop for? Are you a price conscience consumer? Which design do you like better? (I prefer Apples aluminum casing on my Macbook) Etc.

I hope this helps :)

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Dells are garbage. Have owned them previously and have had nothing but issues.
You'll be happy to know that the guy who started them is one of the richest men in the world.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I currently have a Lenovo T440p

Worst laptop I've ever used. The docking station didn't work until I did massive troubleshooting and even when it works it sucks. If the power goes out I sometimes have to reboot the whole damn thing to get my screens working again through the dock. Ridiculous.

Even when it's being used as a laptop the trackpad/mouse buttons are terrible with this whole "flat surface" pad they have going on.

Oh, and the computer is a year old and the battery won't hold a charge anymore. And the performance of this thing sucks in general.

I used a Dell Lattitude for 3 solid years at an old employer without so much as a hiccup or stutter. It was fast, the dock kicked a$$, and in short it was perfect. I was retarded going with lenovo over the dell that always worked - I only made the switch because of the high praise that lenovo gets. Never again.

Kevind88

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 8, 2015
I use a Mac Mini for desktop, Samsung laptop and a Toshiba Chromebook. Now that I can use web based Skype, I am starting to use the Chromebook more and more lately for most of my daily tasks.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I use a Mac Mini for desktop, Samsung laptop and a Toshiba Chromebook. Now that I can use web based Skype, I am starting to use the Chromebook more and more lately for most of my daily tasks.

Web based Skype on chromebook?

ChrisKyle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 29, 2015
You'll be happy to know that the guy who started them is one of the richest men in the world.
Never said he wasn't. From personal experience and 8+ Dell Computers, I would never recommend one. My macbook has and will continue to last a hell of a lot longer.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Never said he wasn't. From personal experience and 8+ Dell Computers, I would never recommend one. My macbook has and will continue to last a hell of a lot longer.
Nah man, I agree that they suck. I just meant it's amusing that the guy who flooded them into the world still becomes one of the richest men in the world.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina with highest specs.

Would prefer the new 12" Macbook but need to remove myself from all task work in my businesses first.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
2nd Hand but practically new Dell Inspiron 15R i7

You can google the battery life but it lasts quite a while, say minimum 3 hours depending on what your doing.

Very Fast for normal apps, generally overall I am happy with my purchase.

Beware of spilling water onto it as I had a small amount of water leak into the touchpad area (between the clickpad) and it shut off. Put some rice all around it and worked fine after 7 days in rice.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
ASUS N751JK

I'd like a chrome book or something tiny and similar for mobility sake but love this for at home and longer travels.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Currently use a dell XPS 17(desktop replacement) an older model, everything's failing on it part by part but the old girl has carried me a long way and is setup exactly how I want.
Going to refurbish it for nostalgic reasons.

Upgrade is going to be a mac air & a thunderbolt display since I can finally outsource the
heavy lifting:).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can't use laptops anymore. I spent too many years working and then playing online poker on laptops. Now I get excruciating neck and shoulder ache whenever I'm on a laptop for even 10 minutes . So much so I have to see a physio to get unknotted.

My chiropractor tells me he gets a lot of youngsters in now who display the signs of whiplash. Their necks have lost their natural curve from looking down at laptop screens all day long. This curve acts like suspension for our heads when we're walking along. He says things are getting steadily worse due to smartphone usage - because people bend their head down even further now, towards their bellies even.

Just be careful using laptops and smartphones too much.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I can't use laptops anymore. I spent too many years working and then playing online poker on laptops. Now I get excruciating neck and shoulder ache whenever I'm on a laptop for even 10 minutes . So much so I have to see a physio to get unknotted.

My chiropractor tells me he gets a lot of youngsters in now who display the signs of whiplash. Their necks have lost their natural curve from looking down at laptop screens all day long. This curve acts like suspension for our heads when we're walking along. He says things are getting steadily worse due to smartphone usage - because people bend their head down even further now, towards their bellies even.

That's why I opting for the imac and a standing desk something like this:rockon:
standing-up-while-working.jpg

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
A standing desk is something I need to figure out too actually.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
i've had some apple and pc, and have gone for PC, 17" screen. I like the screen real estate, battery life isn't too big a deal for me. Unless you are some photog or video editor or phd doing quantum math, most laptops are just internet browsing devices. So I see no reason to pay so much for an apple. I'd rather have a less expensive laptop that I get new every 3yrs or so rather than have an apple for 5-7 yrs. The technology changes quickly in screen, battery, charging, connectivity performance I'd rather have something newer more often. Tablets are a waste for me, hate the on screen keyboard. Mine is a glorified clock on my nightstand. The ideal is a 17" laptop with a touch screen that flips all the way over for a tablet setup. Best of both worlds. I think they have the 15.6" format like that, maybe from Asus. I'll check that out next round.

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Have had more success with Acers until windows 8 came along which caused me to lose my will to live! Asus used to drive me mad with crappy touchpad issues and other ongoing issues they never tried to fix. Have a lenova on windows 7 which is ok but has a few keys that do not shortcut like the function keys (cannot hit F5 to refresh or any function with f keys or some photoshop shortcuts do not work as a result)
Toshiba - screen issues
Asus - pain in arse
Asus - went against better judgement bought again - still pain in arse!
Acer - great until windows 8

Anyone gone with windows 10?

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Have had more success with Acers until windows 8 came along which caused me to lose my will to live! Asus used to drive me mad with crappy touchpad issues and other ongoing issues they never tried to fix. Have a lenova on windows 7 which is ok but has a few keys that do not shortcut like the function keys (cannot hit F5 to refresh or any function with f keys or some photoshop shortcuts do not work as a result)
Toshiba - screen issues
Asus - pain in arse

I'm on an Acer with windows 10, the problem isn't windows 10, it's getting used to windows 10. Acer's are just being terrible for battery life, do you find that too?

Sad to see a bad review of Asus for me, because that's one of my preferred options. Asus Vs Apple was the thought I had when starting this thread, wanted to see what was what. Seems like Apple wins, so will have to go try one out in store and see what I think.

tbfmiss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 22, 2015
Toshiba - screen issues
Asus - pain in arse

I have not, yet. Want to wait a bit.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

From our local news today!

http://wfla.com/2015/09/24/chiropractors-treating-more-tech-neck-cases-in-tampa/

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.