The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is your EDC knife? Knife Suggestions

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What is your EDC knife, and what do you like about it?

For about 8 years I've carried the CRKT Bear Claw Straight Edge, but they discontinued it and mine disappeared recently.

CRKT.PNG

I ordered this back in September. KA-BAR TDI, but it has yet to arrive. Backordered.

1480_Overview.jpg

I'm looking for something fixed-blade preferably. Something that will hold up and can be used for defense as much as cutting boxes and tape.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Not that :rofl:

1604863019804.png

For self defense:

1604864969528.png

Last edited:

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
FA9AD676-A263-4A11-87A2-8CA352CC63FD.jpeg
Benchmade, can’t remember the model. Great knife, quality steel that holds an edge. Love the locking mechanism, and it comes in a larger version if you’re determined to fight with it.

I don’t have it with me, but the other one I always carry is a Leatherman Free P4. I skinned my first deer with a Leatherman, they are the shit.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Hard to pick just one. I have a little collection going on:

20201108_143723.jpg

I think it really comes down to what fits your hand, has great action, and works out best for you.

I got into it with flippers because I found some knives didn't have great action or had poor thumb studs.

Then I realized, I didn't like liner locks or frame locks because you could get your finger in the way of the knife closing and cut yourself.

Eventually I moved to Axis-style locks ( Benchmade, Ganzo, SOG ), Compression locks ( Spyderco ), and plunge/button locks ( Tangram, Protech, etc )

I also figured out I liked blades at 3-inches or less as the bigger knives were too big for my pocket most times.

Most times, I find myself carrying these days:
  • Spyderco Para 3 or Paramilitary 2
  • SOG Terminus XR
  • QSP Penguin - such a nice fidget knife
  • Benchmade Bugout
If I feel I need to "defend" myself for whatever reason, I tend to carry the Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Made to pick only 1, it would have to be the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 with a really close follow up with the Benchmade 9400

20201108_145534.jpg

Last edited:

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020

For about 8 years I've carried the CRKT Bear Claw Straight Edge, but they discontinued it and mine disappeared recently.

View attachment 35581

I ordered this back in September. KA-BAR TDI, but it has yet to arrive. Backordered.

1480_Overview.jpg

I'm looking for something fixed-blade preferably. Something that will hold up and can be used for defense as much as cutting boxes and tape.
I really like karambits: Amazon.com : FOX 479 G10 Black Emerson Wave Folding Karambit : Sports & Outdoors

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
View attachment 35589
Benchmade, can’t remember the model. Great knife, quality steel that holds an edge. Love the locking mechanism, and it comes in a larger version if you’re determined to fight with it.

I don’t have it with me, but the other one I always carry is a Leatherman Free P4. I skinned my first deer with a Leatherman, they are the shit.
Interesting, I've only owned one Benchmade knife and wasn't that impressed with it out of the box, but I haven't checked them out lately.

Hard to pick just one. I have a little collection going on:

View attachment 35590

I think it really comes down to what fits your hand, has great action, and works out best for you.

I got into it with flippers because I found some knives didn't have great action or had poor thumb studs.

Then I realized, I didn't like liner locks or frame locks because you could get your finger in the way of the knife closing and cut yourself.

Eventually I moved to Axis-style locks ( Benchmade, Ganzo, SOG ), Compression locks ( Spyderco ), and plunge/button locks ( Tangram, Protech, etc )

I also figured out I liked blades at 3-inches or less as the bigger knives were too big for my pocket most times.

Most times, I find myself carrying these days:
  • Spyderco Para 3 or Paramilitary 2
  • SOG Terminus XR
  • QSP Penguin - such a nice fidget knife
  • Benchmade Bugout
If I feel I need to "defend" myself for whatever reason, I tend to carry the Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Made to pick only 1, it would have to be the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 with a really close follow up with the Benchmade 9400

View attachment 35592
Thanks for the breakdown, I think I looked at the Paramilitary 2 as one of the options against the KA-BAR above. I'll take another look at that because I do love Spyderco.

Like you, I like them 3" or less. Maybe a preference because that size is less likely to cause trouble with police, security and anyone else who might come across it. I used to wear a boot knife and my old boss saw it. He brought me in for a talk, but then I showed him the company regulations that said it was good to go.

I really like the karambit style. The bear claw was sort of a karambit in that it was a curved blade. But it wasn't a full karambit like this. I've been hesitant to buy one because some places say you need to spend more time learning how to wield it properly.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Just a very simple BUCK pocket knife.

Discord_cxR7JmaiH7.png

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
PXL_20201109_025215053.jpg

These are the main ones I usually carry, the small Spyderco and the CRKT in my bag and one of the other two on me.

The Kizer is nice if I'm actually wearing real clothes, but usually it's the Spyderco Siren in the waistband of my board shorts. I was gonna get a Paramilitary II, but my friend designed the Siren so I just got that from him. I think I'd still like to try out the Paramilitary tho.

My wife carries a Benchmade auto deploy. I recently tried to get her a Microtech LUDT, but it didn't work out.

I wouldn't use a knife for self defense, but I would like to add a Ka Bar to my collection. That CRKT in the photo is a nice small fixed blade for daily carry, and it comes with a lanyard of you want to wear it.

If I'm hiking I usually carry a Morakniv Companion or similar.

I've give through a few other folders, so far Spyderco really is the best in my experience. At least in terms of utility.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

View attachment 35581

1480_Overview.jpg

I normally carry a gun, so no knife. I like fixed blade stuff from ESEE and might pick up one of their newer folders.

Last edited:

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
If it is good enough for the Finnish army, it is good enough for me: J.P. Peltonen Sissipuukko

Sharp as hell. You can really hack through wood with it. "EDC" is relative. A knife this size is a no-go in Germany unless you carry it for a specific purpose. I only came into the situation once, but when asked by the authorities, I simply say: "Sir, I'm going fishing and am required by law to carry a knife for it." Worked.

Gun: Let's just say I made a mistake there. Sure, a gun that loads 18 cartridges looks impressive as hell. Comes with three problems:

1. Ever tried to aim with such a beast?
2. Ever tried to carry it comfortably?
3. Should I ever end up in a shootout that requires 18 shots to be fired, I guess it would have been better to have packed a rifle, anyway.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
To be clear, self-defense is not the primary purpose of my knife use. It shouldn't be ignored though. Mainly I'm looking for small, functional, and legal :D

That is a FINE pistol. Here's my EDC
View attachment 35603

Have you been taking photography lessons from @AllenCrawley? Almost looks like one of his shoots. :D

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
That is a FINE pistol. Here's my EDC
View attachment 35603
What kind of watch is that? Crazy band.

I left watches and pens out of my post cause I don't wanna get all worked up and derail the thread, I'm actually interested in what knife @Lex DeVille chooses... but consider upping your pen game

chrissroger9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 3, 2020
If it is good enough for the Finnish army, it is good enough for me: J.P. Peltonen Sissipuukko

Sharp as hell. You can really hack through wood with it. "EDC" is relative. A knife this size is a no-go in Germany unless you carry it for a specific purpose. I only came into the situation once, but when asked by the authorities, I simply say: "Sir, I'm going fishing and am required by law to carry a knife for it." Worked.

Gun: Let's just say I made a mistake there. Sure, a gun that loads 18 cartridges looks impressive as hell for best automatic at expertwatchman. Comes with three problems:

1. Ever tried to aim with such a beast?
2. Ever tried to carry it comfortably?
3. Should I ever end up in a shootout that requires 18 shots to be fired like dive watch under 1000, I guess it would have been better to have packed a rifle, anyway.
i have tried it for once. it was really amazing expeirience.

Last edited:

Alleghenyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Nov 18, 2019
Ka-Bar folding tanto blade - cheap enough not to worry about it, good enough for daily knife tasks. I have some other fancier knives I break out when I feel like having some fun.

I’d like to learn about using a knife for self defense but am approaching it with caution - introducing a weapon into an altercation creates a lot of danger and I’ve practiced martial arts for long enough to prefer to avoid violence whenever possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.