The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What improved your life so much that you wish you did it sooner?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Paying for courses and coaching

Yes you can diy things and learn from YouTube and a bunch of different places but a lot of the time you’re just better off paying for a course or book and learning it properly the first time. Just make sure the person you are learning from knows what they are talking about.

Same goes for hiring a coach in the gym, I could look up how to squat but having an expert watch me and tell me exactly what I’m doing wrong and how to fix it is way different. I could google the best routine and try and create my own but at the end of the day they’re more experienced and they’re going to get me to do what I need to do, not just the same exercises I like doing. Plus the accountability and the consistency that having that accountability creates is priceless.

I could say I wish I quit my job sooner but I don’t think that’s true, it’s provided me a good life and I wasn’t ready, but I think a lot of people in my situation would probably say that they should have.

Buying a house. I had the money for a long time to do it but the debt scared me. Now I have a mortgage I realise how its not a big deal at all.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Throwing myself into sales it was a wake up call . Reading TMF it opened my eyes .Joining the Marines it taught me how to follow dependable leaders .I lacked leadership in the home.Both my parents were sidewalkers who had no idea how to achieve goals..plan far ahead...or go beyond hoping to win the lottery. Setting my mind to work on achieving what other's said was too hard or that they would never do helped me the most.I wish I would have started doing that at 13.

Brandaris

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
1. Exercising
2. Making the choices you think are best and not doing what is 'expected' from you.
3. Quit social media / large news websites etc. All those are programmed to make you addicted and will consume more time than you like.
4. Skip the friends that only consume time and energy.
5... probably many more

But big disclaimer here: all the 'bad' choices I made in the past have eventually led me to realize what I should and what I shouldn't do. Someone telling me those things would not have helped, I need to see/realize it myself before I actually change something.

I guess it all boils down to taking action. Make your own choices and pursue them with 100% commitment. That's the quickest way to learn from them and grow into the person you want to be.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NickVGreen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 22, 2019
Recognizing my social anxiety.

Just being in the same room as another person triggers my awareness of them and my need to acknowledge them in my actions and behavior, with an aim to be pleasing and to leave the person better off.

Normal social interaction is tiring. Probably due to my anxiety and go-getter'ishness, I am often either highly engaged or completely on the sidelines, either of which is even more tiring than a simple one-on-one interaction.

After recognizing my anxiety as such, I am more conscious and deliberate about taking significant breaks from social interaction to preempt fatigue (and prevent the situational depression I've experienced whenever my fatigue has crossed a breaking point, as it is followed by a period of suicidal ideation). It is nice to be able to deal with the cause of my depression experience rather than just the symptoms.

Athena's Escape

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jan 5, 2022
Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks!

Mostly working it out myself.

I've known that there was something "weird" about me since I was young. I had the most or second-most absences in elementary school and middle school (my high school had a limited absence policy, so I adjusted, but was even more exhausted). When I got aware of my depressive thoughts as something added on to my thinking rather than core thinking (in high school, when they became more frequent), I tried using that self-awareness as a way to keep it in check.

Still, parts of my family is known for having depression, so I figured that this was just the way things were for me and that I would have to live with it.

It became worse once I started working in IT service though. The constant work socializing combined with trying to have a "normal" social life increased my exhaustion, my depression and my periods of suicidal ideation (to the point where it became "that time of the season" and later "that time of the month"). When I switched to working archives, the socializing and exhaustion continued.

However, when C0VlD-19 hit and we all moved to home office work, it became clear to me (after about three months) that my depression had dramatically decreased. It was still there, but with the reduction it became clearer as an aberration rather than being a core part of me. At the time though, I thought it might be a sign that I had some degree of Asperger's, as I have some friends who are Aspies, and I didn't think of myself as being anxious. I associated anxiousness with cold sweats and panic attacks, not general stress and tension.

After debating with myself and reading on Asperger's though, I figured that it wasn't correct either. My problem is not in being able to see and read social cues, but in over-reading them and interpreting them as if each one is defining and important (while also hedging in order to preempt a faux pas; the joking request might not be a joke...maybe I should just follow up on it just in case). Once I recognized anxiety as something less that full-blown panic attacks and huddling under a blanket, it became easier to recognize myself as being socially anxious. It also became easier to then make sure I take the (significant) breaks I currently need.

I might work on dealing with it later, to try to shape some instincts to reduce the stress (a kind of mental judo). Recognizing it as a part of me rather than my core person means that I can work on it without fundamentally altering my core self.
Thanks for sharing this. I know the struggle of social anxiety.

You might also want to look into the possibility that you're an HSP (highly sensitive person). Dr. Elaine Aron's website and online test (and also Amazon documentary) are great sources to quickly figure out if this fits you.

Sometimes people think they have social anxiety when really they're just more sensitive to environmental stimuli and overwhelmed by being in very stimulating environments for too long. I discovered this about myself and it's been really transformative!

JustMorpheus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 18, 2021

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

It can be whatever in any aspect of your life, both big and small things.
SLEEP/DIET - It is absolutely unreal how much trama and abuse I put body and brain through. From regularly pulling all-nighters to going on a only KitKat diet for a week one time. Getting these simple things right makes a HUGE difference.

Meditation - This, next to sleep was a GAME CHANGER. It’s allowing me to overcome some of the most deeply formed bad habits of my childhood. I’d likely still be in the same mess I was in before or worse if I hadn’t committed to making this a habit.

Spyguy92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Aug 1, 2020
Austin, Texas
1. Buying a house to house hack. Not paying rent is a huge burden lifted.
2. Getting in really good shape.
3. Allowing myself to spend more money on things that will improve my body (sauna/cold plunge membership, different gym memberships, fitness gear, etc.).

I can be frugal to a fault. One way I've been working on changing that is choosing the categories that I really enjoy and care about (fitness being one of them) and spending whatever I want on that category.

BLITZSCALER

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Sep 30, 2018
International $$
Me helped the Ivy Lee Method
The most helpful is about there: focus only at one task at the time

Also put your mobile phone away and all stuff what distracts

Write down all 6 most important task in the most important order at the evening before the next workday.( That's very important!!! I waste lot's of time by thinking in the morning, which task to do, my brain doesn't work very well at morning..) The next morning start with the first task, like in the book The One Thing, by Garry Keller, or Eat That Frog, by Brian Tracy. Your first domino must fall, keep in mind the pareto principle.

Also: Don't think about time, I work on the task until it's finish. My deadline is to complete these 6 tasks.
When I'm tired I make a nap in my bean bag. I hear at my body, when I'm tired I sleep, when I'm awake I work, when I'm hungry I eat aso...

What helps me too: I feel when I'm stressed, my blood pressure grows, get pain in my back. I ask myself, what makes me angry, what is making me nervous about this situation? Then I ask why it makes this feelings in my Ego?

The feeling of completing the most anoying and important task is very satisfying!

For writing down these task I use a little sheet of paper, don't use your phone.

Also I use Green Tea and blueberries for focus, yes it activates your brain, studies have proven it. Use frozen biological Blueberry, they have the most nutrients, because they get instantly frozen after they pick them.
I take also 2 capsules of Johannis Herbs, because this helps against stress. Stress blocks my ability to think clearly.

Here some stuff about this technique
Or search on your own on Google: Ivy Lee Method

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Fasting was key to improving my energy levels and controlling my weight(went from 210 to 155). It changed my life. It got me off my blood pressure meds and improved my self-confidence. We live in a society that is addicted to food.

Avoiding social media is a game changer.

As well as po*nagraphy.

1. Fast and eat a healthy diet.
2. Meditate. If you are highly resistant to it, you need it.
3. Read anything and everything.
4. Exercise. Do push-ups in your bedroom. Do anything. It’s good for your mind/brain.

I’ve centered my whole life around fasting, meditating and getting some exercise. It has significantly improved my mental health and physical health.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Before jiu jitsu, I had never been in a fight or ever stood up for myself.

This affected all areas of my life during high school, I had no balls to do anything even though I was a gym rat.

Brazilian jiu jitsu is one of those things where if you do it for long enough, it inevitably builds your confidence and character.

Also, from my experience, people who go to jiu jitsu gyms seem to be doing cool stuff in their lives.. A lot of them are heavily interested in entrepreneurship.

The people that you train with become your family. Rickson Gracie shows this in his autobiography.

You also won't encounter many yes-men. People are straight up and honest with you.

Here's one of my favorite jiu jitsu rolls ever:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ASonA9t6c

Also check out this video of joe rogan getting his black belt
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTIb16BiGc4
I'm seeing jiu jitsu mentioned so often that now I want to try it.
But I'm also dedicating to bodybuilding.
Interesting that you say BJJ had more benefits in character and confidence than the gym. It seems to me it gets you a different type of confidence, one to handle confrontation perhaps ?
Interested in seeing what you think it exactly benefitted you in

Dan99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Oct 9, 2022
I grew up very sheltered and ignorant, and whilst I avoided many pitfalls and look back with immense gratitude, I still have much to learn.
The list
1. The bare basics of how people work (such primal motives for common human behaviour such as sex, drugs, alcohol, power and status were elusive to me).
2. That the things you learn can increase the amount of money you get.
3. You need to do things to learn them. General taking action.
4. Meditation.

5. The correct way to train (challenge yourself, don't fry your central nervous system, don't get injured)
6. How to stay consistent with tight schedules.
7. That entrepreneurship was a thing, that early retirement was a thing.
8. That I can control my environment.
9. It's good to spend money on investments in health, education, and time.
10. Uni is a scam unless you need/ would benefit sufficiently from the degree. and many of the people there aren't there to learn.
11. The effect of instant gratification.
12. How to handle friendship properly.
13. How to orient learning around a central project.
14. That school has an agenda too.
15. Extra-curricular activities sometimes give useless skills and aren't enjoyable
16. Some books are not providers of quality information, or enjoyable.
17. There are 'mental skills' that basically amount to party tricks unless they serve a pragmatic function (those stupid 'organisation hacks' that don't work)
18. Journaling: writing things down is good.
19. Any of the monetizable, easily available skills to side hustle online when I had hours of free time every day.
20. How to sleep. ( and to stop reading books full of anecdotes and stories)

I think that'll do.
Thank you anyone who read to the end.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A standing computer workstation and treadmill. Sitting all day is like smoking a pack a day? Who knows if that's BS, but I know sedentary sitting for hours on end isn't good. Now I can get 10,000 steps a day no problem, and while doing some boring stuff.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
1.) The power of Hypnosis. I was a social phobe and it made me super unhappy. I made too many decisions because of the phobia. Hypnosis completely cured me of it.
2.) How I handled money. I am no longer a consumer in the U.S. sense. I don't buy "stuff" the minute I think I want it and let it pile up with other "stuff".
3.) Gratitude. Should be self explanatory.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I've got a pretty cliche response but it is something over the last year that I've come to realize and internalize deeply. I think the most important thing you can do is stop measuring your success up to others. I've done this throughout my childhood and early adulthood and it likely has cost me happiness and focus. Happiness because it is impossible to live up to others' standards - everyone is given a unique set of advantages and circumstances in life - and focus because I have been looking outside myself instead of within.

I highly recommend measuring your success by your own standards and respecting your own unique advantages and disadvantages.

Play the hand you've been dealt and stop peaking over at others' hands so to speak.

If I had internalized this earlier I'm sure at the very least the last 20 years would have been filled with much less regret.

cinquino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Nov 21, 2022
Good job man, what was the final straw for you that made you quit alcohol in the first place? And what was the pivotal change that made the decision to quit stick? I had effectively spent 2016-2022 drinking daily. At first it was 3 pints of beer a day, towards the end I averaged about 10 standard drinks a day, and like you when I did the accounts I found I spent mid 4-figures on alcohol in the latter half of 2022 alone.

The catastrophe of having childhood traumas and enabling/borderline parents letting/wanting to me be a NEET meant I was able to pass out drunk once by afternoon and again to sleep. I relate with you with just sitting with the full scope of emotions and thoughts. I just sit with the pain now rather than drink it away. The pain of regret of wasting more time far outweighs the pain of just sitting with everything and so far that notion has helped me stay clean almost 3 months now, knock on wood.
Hey Brother,

I quit at 39 because I decided that I didn't want to go into another decade of my drinking the way I had been since I was 15. The best thing I did for myself at that time was to find a good AA meeting. The rooms and, more importantly, the stories, helped me feel not alone and that's what got me through. It can be challenging to find a good meeting but go. Find one. It's worth it. If you can do it for 3 months you can to it for 4. Then 5, 6 and a year. Life is SO much better now for me. You got this and you are not alone. The pain will pass and on the other side is freedom. I will say one more thing...

This forum is all about freedom. Not being able to say not to alcohol, drugs or whatever is not freedom, it's slavery. You can lie to yourself and say things like "I can stop whenever" or "I've earned this.." or "It's how I unwind" whatever, that's all bullshit. If it's true, quit for a year a prove it. So, for me, alcohol means slavery and I'm a fee man. And I know you are too...

FlashingFlash

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 14, 2022
India
I was on a "self-improvement journey" for about 2.5 years.
Total waste of time.

Most of the habits that these self-improvement influencers preach online are action-faking.

The best way to improve is to take action towards one's goals.

here's what is under self improvement
1. reading( books like millionaire Fastlane , psycho cybernetics )
2. Meditation - be presentfull
3. Get proper sleep - 7 -9 hrs. (depends on people)
4. Do the hardwork especially when you don't feel like it.
5. maintain a good mental health
6. Fitness.

when you follow these according to my experience i don't get distracted now directly can go into a deep work state, Honor , respect comes on command. I am at my peak of many things except for finance for now gonna focus on work

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
When eating, turn my monitor off and listen to audio books. I used to watch YouTube videos when eating but by switching to this method, you can easily finish a book in a week. think about the fact that preparing, eating, cleaning up your meal takes a bit more than an hour.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

Quitting video games, all thought I did it when I was 11-12, I wish I did it sooner, and reading books, letting myself be myself, learning to say no, cutting ties with people who didnt like me for who I am and learning mistakes arent failure.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
It was both. The morality one was simple.

The health side took a lot of research and investigation, especially into who funded what studies, what was their motive behind the opinion (like book sales, keeping your Keto empire growing!) etc. I don't pay attention to twenty-something anti-vegan propagandists on YouTube (or here) because they tend to think veganism is Beyond Burgers, Oreos, and french fries. Also, youth is terribly forgiving in terms of dietary imbalances or issues, but these issues tend to "win out" as one gets into their 40s, 50s, and beyond. When people say they stopped eating meat, it doesn't mean they started eating fruits, veggies, seeds, or legumes. Quite the contrary.

People generally feel seriously threatened by any type of vegan message, especially when someone claims it has helped them. You'd think 99% of the folks here would be happy I feel great and that I don't have to waste mental bandwidth on what to eat. Nope, because it involves something they view as a threat. Just look at the clown who responded above. I'm so glad he is so concerned about what I put in my mouth. Doesn't even deserve a response.

Another thing that I found important was that there are a lot of world-class athletes who have MILLIONS on the line and tend to use a WFPB diet (whole food plant based) to extend their career.

I never felt better. However, at first I became a junk food vegan so the results were negligible. That only lasted a few months.

When I switched to a whole food, plant-based diet, then things started to change favorably. My blood panel finally fixed itself after having been in the dumpster for 20 years. And yes, I have no problem with protein or B12, in fact, I don't even check my B12 levels any longer because they're always in range, if anything, they're on the higher end of the spectrum. So not only do I have my own personal, empirical evidence, but I have hard data based on decades of blood chemistry.

Another note: This year I had my vascular system checked for arterial hardening (heart disease, atherosclerosis) and I scored at a 100% for a man my age -- 100% of the men my age who take this test, score worse in terms of arterial hardening. In other words, 100% of men my age have clogged arteries far worse than any degree than I. Guess that meat and dairy is working out for them, lol.

I don't know if you have heard of this guy blueprint

But he is conducting a experiment to extend his life and I think for memory he spends up to 10 million dollars a year to do it. He also follows a vegan diet, I have a few recipes of his that I incorporate into my meals every week. Everything he is doing is tracked with scientific data that he gives out for free.

I encourage all of you to check him out, it's fascinating as hell what he is doing!

I couldn't care less what people eat, everyone should strive to feel healthy.

lakepoet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 6, 2023
Things I wish I had discovered sooner in life:

- I hire someone from another part of the world to give me a wake up call so I don't struggle getting out of bed early & I have time to work out, meditate, eat breakfast etc. Getting up early + working out daily also helps beat insomnia
- As soon as I enter my apartment, I put my keys, wallet, phone and transit pass in a wicker basket. I never have to look for these items and I never forget to take them when I leave.
- I never have clothes lying around since I bought a rolling clothing rack with wheels.

rwd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Aug 30, 2023
Going to a boxing/fighting gym. The guys I met there are awesome. Made a decent amount of friends in the process of doing so, developed skills/discipline I otherwise wouldn't have had, and found a great way to build up my cardio.

Fairbird

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 15, 2023

I'm a Christian and growing up I used to be so devout in praying and had faith more. Then along the way, I stopped almost completely and kinda felt lost in a lot of ways. But I've started praying and meditating on the Word, which has significantly improved the quality of my life. I wish I hadn't stopped and I had recontinued sooner.

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jan 17, 2024
Personal Development - from 17 to 27 I never read or listened to any podcasts or books or took any courses to improve myself. From 27 to now I have not stopped and my life has improved drastically.
This.

This is the one I wish I had done sooner. When I was young, I just thought I was too young for all that stuff so I never paid attention. It could have helped me a lot to prepare for the world and have a better mindset.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For those of you who use biometric monitors, I'm finding that Whoop is a bit better than Oura.

Whoop seems to be far more data specific, allowing for better conclusions and better actionable data.

Whoop seems to be for the more serious individual concerned with fitness/health whereas Oura seems to be more for the average person. I still wear both, but my Oura (and it's recurring payment) is officially endangered.

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 6, 2024

Reading more.

I was just talking to my wife the other day about how I hated reading when I was younger, but then after my Junior year of HS I started to like reading.

I only read a few books a year, but now I'm reading way more. I can now read relatively fast with solid comprehension.

I'm definitely not at all close to what speed-readers do, but that's not the point. The point is I can easily read several books a month now with little to no trouble. I have plenty of time as well after finishing college.

For example, I read TMF in a week. Probably could've read it quicker.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I always thought it might be a useful tool for other people. I'll check this out.
It was extremely useful when I was paycheck to paycheck, and gave me peace of mind with little effort.

Before, I would get surprise overdrafts due to timing of a credit card payment or rent payment coming 2 days before a big paycheck or whatever.

Now it’s helpful for planning bigger outflows like booking vacations or buying a car or whatever and making sure I don’t let checking account dip below my threshold.

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India

What about you sir? Any aspect of yours?

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
Having a website called "discomfort club" is a strong indicator of that. :playful:

@MTF I was thinking about how strange it is for us humans that pleasure and pain are two faces of the same coin. Pursue only pleasure and you will get pain. Pursue pain and hardship and you will get satisfaction and pleasure.

We are very strange creatures living in a very strange world.
What is MTF's real name?I googled for discomfort club and got a site which has founder named martin.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.