The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What improved your life so much that you wish you did it sooner?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
@fastlane_dad

I've been watching this thread since the start. I cannot think of a single thing because like you said, it would change my trajectory. And I don't want that. There are plenty of things I still want to do and want to do them now, just nothing I want to go back and do sooner or change.

Example: I used to smoke. One could say "quit sooner" would have been better. Yet it was a social thing, where we drank, smoked and had a lot of fun as a group. I needed that period of life to define, experience and choose my future.

I could also have started my business sooner. But then, would we scale up as quickly as we did if I lacked the knowledge that came from a decade of grinding it out as employee?

Utopian as it may sound, I am grateful for experiences I've had - good and bad. They made me. My bad choices led to a crappy life and FTE that led to good choices and discipline.

It appears you and I are in the visible minority here, vast majority has something they wish they did sooner.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
purple mattress. sleep is key.
adding the oura ring and reviewing the data to get better sleep has powered me to do lots of other important things.
lot of cool biohacking you can do to help your main 'machine' run better.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Raised my prices.

Just 4 years ago my prices were a third of what they are now.
My work was also a third as good.

When I raised my prices I was able to justify spending the time to really doing next level shit. Just really amazing grade A homerun after homerun... because I wasn't sitting there trying to manage or limit myself. I could go ALL IN.

Allowed for more fun.

I started buying lego sets. Board games. Arts and crafts. Stuff that I enjoy doing but couldn't justify with a mentality of constantly grinding.

Turns out I was blessed with a brain that thinks better when I'm not stressed out. My hobbies act as a form of meditation at the end of the day. I accomplish so much more in much less time because I'm relaxed.

Medication.

If you need it you need it.
You're already regulating what goes into your body with the food you eat, the beverages you drink. Why would you stop there?

JesseT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Jun 8, 2020
Taos, NM

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

It can be whatever in any aspect of your life, both big and small things.
I sell luxury building products (custom doors). I met a builder and slowly developed a relationship with him. This custom home builder opened up to me and told me he was once addicted to Meth. He got off meth after being addicted 5 years and now has a wife and three kids.... and 8 $2MM home projects contracted and lined up in the next 4 years.

He found Proverbs (I am not religious nor do I believe in hocus pocus stuff). He told me to read the book of Proverbs every morning for 10 mins. I have been reading it and it has motivated me to "adjust my sails: and set me more "on course.". I feel like it is a small investment of time every day, but plants a seed in your mind to improve yourself. Again, I am not religious, but good wisdom is hard to find and this has worked wonders for me.

I wish I had done this 10 or 20 years ago.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

kick girlfriend out of house and live alone
slow-carb diet by tim ferris in '4-hr body'
getting a weightlifting partner that I have to pickup 3x a week (never missed a gym session since doing this)
standing desk with treadmill hasn't changed my life a TON but absolutely should've done earlier. Putting in 5 miles a day unconsciously.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
1. Starting my own company (I know boring)

2. discovering stoicism, man this is a beautiful philosophy of life with lots of wisdom.
@MTF , you are also into stoicism right?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Joining swim team. I was 15, I was always kind of naturally athletic but struggled with coordination, and was frustrated with sports. I could train hard but I sucked at throwing and catching and hated letting my teammates down when I just needed to grind it out to improve.

Joining swim team at 15 changed my life. I became an athlete. I went from chubby couch potato to varsity region qualifier in just 2 seasons, almost broke a school record (my brother broke it later, he started at 11) and really gained my fitness and confidence.

It honestly changed the trajectory of my life, my confidence, and my health. I know this isn’t a business answer but this was a huge deal for me back in high school and I wouldn’t be who I am today if I never decided to swim competitively

(Region doesn’t sound impressive as state but we were in one of the biggest 6A in Texas - state was for D1 athletes. I didn’t get quite that good in 2 seasons lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Henderson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 29, 2022
Working 100% Remote and async: Even though I am currently working as a full-time employee this single change improved my physical and mental health immensely. Now, I can go for a walk, stretch, or hit the gym whenever I please. I cook my own healthy meals, take naps when I want and there is zero office politics BS.

Stoping being afraid to walk away: I have been in a lot of exhausting and toxic relationships. Always afraid to stop taking shit. Partly because of being afraid to be alone, partly repetition compulsion. Therapy helped a lot.

Therapy and Anti-Depressants: For too long I believed that seeking help translates to being weak. For too long did I listen to the gospel of..'You just need to work out, bro. Just increase your Omega-3, bro. You don't need meds.' At a certain level lifestyle changes just don't cut it.

Starting boxing: In the gym, I learned for the first time what it really, really means to push beyond what you think is possible. Having done strength training and other forms of martial art for most of my life, I could never push myself as far as in the boxing gym. It transfers to other parts of my life. It builds confidence and makes me believe more in myself. Being on the verge of passing out. Against the ropes. Combos raining in on you. As the trainer screams at you to move you try to hold on till the bell rings. It is marvelous.

Going Vegan: Made me realize how many food insensitivities I had. In the beginning, it was just for health reasons. Then I watched Dominion on Youtube. I will never go back. Helped me physically and spiritually (in a non-woo-woo way).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Going Vegan: Made me realize how many food insensitivities I had. In the beginning, it was just for health reasons. Then I watched Dominion on Youtube. I will never go back. Helped me physically and spiritually (in a non-woo-woo way).

I can't bear to watch it. I think I'll be traumatized for life.

@MJ DeMarco I struggle to eat more plants in my diet, and I have been wanting to do more vegetarian or vegan days and cut out some meat and dairy. My wife and daughter are also extremely sensitive to eating red meat and their digestion will me messed up for days after eating red meat.

Do you have a good resource for meals and snacks?

That's my wife's department. On the meal side, Ill snap a photo of all her recipe and cookbooks tomorrow and post it here. As for snacks, there's too many options there to list. And a lot of that stuff is processed and might not help improve digestive issues. Hell, most potato chips are vegan.

Athena's Escape

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jan 5, 2022
Virginia Beach, VA

1) Hot yoga
I used to think yoga wasn't "real exercise" but I wish I'd discovered hot yoga many years before I did. I've done it for 4 years now and highly recommend it! Flexibility, balance, strength, purging stress, better sleep, and a mental reset for your day. What more could you ask for?! I've seen all ages in my regular studio... teenagers all the way to 80-somethings.

2) Weightlifting
Women are sometimes afraid of weightlifting because it seems intimidating, we don't want to look bulky, and we're often the only woman (or one of very few women) in that part of the gym. But it does wonders for your body and energy, for everyone! Not to mention, it protects against bone loss and breakage later in life. An ex introduced me to it years ago and I'm so grateful.

3) Prioritizing sleep
Our culture seems to love productivity and bio hacks so for those of us who need more sleep than most it can feel shameful. But once I accepted what my body thrives on, and actually gave it that, the benefits quickly followed. I need my sleep or everything else falls apart!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
it opens yourself up to the fact you don’t need to eat multiple times a day(or even every day).

Funny how the people around you will attack your eating habits or philosophy. When I started fasting the people around me we’re shocked. They were like “omg you gotta eat something that’s bad not to eat”. And these are people who are overweight. The biggest comment I got was “you lost weight because of depression”. Nope, I overate when I was depressed.

When I eat it’s like a ritual. I don’t eat meat and I cherish each moment and I pray. I pray to the universe for access and union to its infinite intellect.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
How and where do you use it? I don't have even a single screwdriver at home, let alone with me all the time lol.
We just live very different lives I guess.

I’m a homeowner. I own cars, trailers, RVs. I have helpless people that also don’t own screwdrivers in my extended family that I also see often. I fix things, I build things, I maintain things. I always seem to have a project of sorts going on.

Life has just made me handy and over time. Early in my adult life it helped me save a lot of money. Now I couldn’t imagine paying thousands for something I believe I could just do. Every time I’m at that crossroads, I always decide I’d rather spend that money on a new tool that makes the job easier. I like to keep everything in perfect working order.

My garage is totally full of tools. My wife and I have remodeled this entire home. And I’m not talking about paint. We have done some pretty extensive work. I have jackhammered through the foundation to move plumbing. I’ve been my own contractor on my roof and rerouting the ventilation. I broke a window the other day, and I might as well have a go at replacing that as well.

I’m just hands on. I can see how an ultra minimalist type person would never need a screwdriver, but dude, at least buy a Swiss Army knife or something. :rofl:

Last edited:

Bohemi

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 28, 2022
Roskilde, Denmark
Since my divorce 11 years ago I wanted to move away from my birthdtown, but for practical reasons (my kid was only 2 years old at the time) I stayed put…. Slowly I started to be more and more unhappy even though I chose to be near my family…

This year I did it. Took my kid an moved away and you know what? My kid bloomed within a week after moving… I thought the move was selfish need but after seeing how extraordinary happy My son became I realized it was the best thing for the both of us and I really wish I had had the courage to do that sooner than I did.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
My two are pretty common:
1) Start sooner. Just start. It doesn't matter what. You'll learn and find what works.
2) Pull the plug on a relationship sooner. It doesn't have to be toxic for you to be in the wrong place; get out.
3) Invest in real estate sooner. I plan to post an update soon but I'm almost at my net worth goal thanks entirely to real estate.

I also wish I embraced or understood some advice more completely. I heard the following from others before, but it never really sank in. "Success is a slow process. Progress and reaching your goals are more about small victories along the way than it is a series of monumental events. It sneaks up on you."

Also "Set bigger goals"

All of these I'm trying to impart on my kids now in their teens.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Nov 8, 2022
self improvement.
I was on a "self-improvement journey" for about 2.5 years.
Total waste of time.

Most of the habits that these self-improvement influencers preach online are action-faking.

The best way to improve is to take action towards one's goals.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Might have mentioned this somewhere in the thread, but, a standing treadmill and a desk, to compliment the normal desk.

As they say, sitting all day is today's 2 packs of cigarettes per day.

IMG_3281.jpeg

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I can name a lot of things but I think the winner for me it was breaking up my relationship a few years ago.

I suspect this may be a pretty common response. This, or quitting a job.

What would your own answer be to this question?

I'll post my response later as I need to think about it a bit more.

I wish i knew this sooner(it still is soon but more sooner i guess.)
First of all if you want to accomplish something you should have a clear vision about it ( you are doing it or not doing it.), This is because when we have ambiguity about something ,we dont put much effort in it and simply get a casual attitude. Hence make poor choices and accomplish something average/mediocre.
Then after having a clear vision we should put maximum efforts in it. Anyone with constant efforts and right decision can accomplish something great.
In short words, if you jump in water, learn to swim/die trying, or simply just dont jump.

Is there any specific example of this from your life?

What about you sir? Any aspect of yours?

I'll post my response later as I need to think about it a bit more.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Lifting weights
I feel better, get compliments, and get a lot more attention from women. 10/10 would recommend

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
Big one: I went vegan in my late 40s. Every chronic ailment that I dealt with in my 40s (and spent $1000s of dollars on trying to diagnose/fix) disappeared in my 50s. Even had a scar on my face for 48 years which suddenly disappeared. Nothing dramatically changed at 48, other than dropping my Paleo, heavy protein low-carb diet to mostly plant-based, raw food and/or unprocessed food. On top of that, going plant-based has given me a great respect for all forms of sentient life which I felt I always had, but didn't live through my actions. I'd never murder a chicken, or pay someone to directly do so, but I'd have no problem eating one (and hence, indirectly paying someone for the slaughter). Going plant-based resolved this "I love animals" incongruity, a big source of cognitive dissonance in my life.

Buy a Water-Pik flosser for your mouth and combine with daily brushing. It will save you longer cleanings and big dental expenses. Nothing worse than laying in a dental chair for 2 hours with a rubber dam strapped to your mouth.

Big one: I stopped my daily visits on social media, and it improved my life.

And I stopped watching any network news, or news put out by big-tech/big-media platforms.

I stopped paying attention to politics, whereas before, I paid attention in an effort to make my "vote" count. Voting is worthless as the morons far outweigh and outbreed any intelligent opposition. I'll never vote again for the rest of my life as the last election showed me everything I need to know about that clown show, legit or not. Voting shows I consent for one of the two political parties, which I do not. They're both corrupt organizations who maniupulate the masses for their own gain.

Big one: Stop worrying about what other people think, quite possibly the hardest thing to do for me outside of going plant-based. This is a big one for young people -- the less "F*cks" you give about what random strangers think (not customers) the more success and happiness you will have.

Big one: I stop participating in organized religion which, like politics, is mostly about control, money, and manipulation, and instead, I started focusing on spiritual growth and enlightenment. When I noticed most churches (including my large Christian Church) were more opulently appointed than my own home (imported stone, marble, granite, shimmering chandeliers) the light bulb went off. No, this doesn't mean I'm an atheist, it means I have more faith in the higher power than I do humans entrusted with bringing truth to bear about a higher-power.

Bottomline, I'm all-in on living my life right now, while not giving any fuel to "what may happen," "who said what," or "who might do what" a few months from now.

In a funny case of irony, I stopped going to Reddit and it improved my life. Although this thread posted above has some great gems worth a read.
Sir do you take supplements for vitamin b12, calcium etc.? Which mainly come from animal based foods. And if you do,where do these supplements come from(animals derived or chemically prepared). Nature is the way it has been, someone has to eat someone to survive and humans have evolved to be omnivorous (there are argument and counter arguments). These types of diets are extreme like completely eliminating food which is rich in many things. I am not saying we should spend most of antibiotics and money on feeding livestock that we eat (this is problem of industry) but eating animal based food is must.
Besides have you searched for people that have been vegan for years but changed it. You may feel great right now but eventually (if you dont take supplements and regularly check micro and macro nutrient) this vegan will backfire(i think so).
Instead we can have a overall balanced diet something like eating vegies and animal based food alternatively so that it wont affect digestion too.
And finally the quality of food that we eat matters the most. Many people eat processed "vegan" food just like many people eat processed animals based food. Its shit as we know. Brother mitchc had great post regarding this.
No arguing intended (sorry if anyone gets offended).

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
@MJ DeMarco I struggle to eat more plants in my diet, and I have been wanting to do more vegetarian or vegan days and cut out some meat and dairy. My wife and daughter are also extremely sensitive to eating red meat and their digestion will me messed up for days after eating red meat.

Do you have a good resource for meals and snacks? There is so much fluff to sift through on the internet now.

Thanks in advance!

To the OP: buying a mountain bike again. I rode religiously as a kid and teenager, and then stopped from when I was about 18-30 years old. When I was roughly 30 or 31 I got a bike again and ride the heck out of it. I can push myself and do proper workouts, or take it easy and almost meditate and clear my head while in the forest. It hits multiple things at the same time, while keeping me physically active.

My older brother was a big biker when he was younger too, and stopped in his 20s. I pushed him to get a bike again and ride with me. Since he picked it back up he has lost about 70lbs and his eating and physical parts of his life have completely turned around. The bike has literally extended his life and improved every area of it.

I never should have stopped biking. As far as mental, spiritual, physical... Anything at all. The single most impactful thing that makes everything else in my life better is biking. It makes me a better husband, father, learner, I respect the planet more, my stress goes down, my resolve to be better goes up... You name it!

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI
Two quotes from my pops that I consistently return to:

1. Tell me what you fear and I'll tell you why you're wrong.
2. Why wait till tomorrow when you can do it today.

For number one, it is about taking a step of courage. Like going up to the girls I was interested in and talking to them. I found that each thing I somehow had fear towards ALWAYS have some bullshit idea behind them.

For number two, it is always about why am I waiting until tomorrow to do something when I can just do it right now. Like getting contractors to my 2 flip houses, listing items on eBay, eating healthy, etc.

hobbsie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2021
Deleted all social media. (No, I’m not missing my school friends, I haven’t talked to in 20 years.)

Stopped watching / reading news.

Got rid of toxic people and in general everyone who drains my energy. (I believe, I do not need more than 2-3 close friends.)

Stopped listening to self-help gurus. (Most people are clueless anyways.)

Spend way less time on E-Mail. (These day about 10 minutes a day.)

Practice deep work.

Invest in the best guitar gear available on the market. It‘s just so much more fun playing and practicing with high end equipment.

Most importantly: Stop drinking! I spent more than 10 years of my life drinking and partying, basically living as a weekend alcoholic. I haven’t had a drink in several years. Today I can enjoy a glass or two.

Stopped smoking roughly five years ago.
Avoiding social media is a game changer.

Delete your accounts, and spend your time living in the real world.
Much more rewarding.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Getting rid of most of my "stuff," to travel the world for "1 year." That was 5+ years ago, and still at it :cool:

Definitely one of the best decisions I ever made, across all aspects of life. Personal, business, social etc.
I've met and become friends with a lot of awesome people along the way.

Even met the President of a South American country 2 weeks ago at a small private event I was invited to, along with other people I consider even more awesome.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
1. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I have been practicing for over 3 years, 4 classes per week. There is something about a combat sport which allows full-on sparring. It is like nothing else that I have ever done. My body never feels better than immediately after a class. It is a tremendously deep art which nobody ever truly masters. There is no end to it. And no, you are not too old to start. I started at the age of 60.

No matter what your age, walking around strong, fit, and able to fight permeates every facet of your life.

Dianne Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 7, 2018
That's awesome man! What kind of hypnosis? Was it app based or you did it in person?
Sorry, it took me so long to respond. I just saw this. I did a lot of free hypnosis on youtube and still do. My favorite was Joseph Clough and I eventually joined his group. All that being said, you don't need to join anything or pay. If you haven't been hypnotized a bunch of times, pick one issue, find a video/session that you like, and do it every day or more(I did and do mine when I am going to sleep at night and usually fall asleep listening) for a month if not more. My first issue was social phobia. I really wanted that gone. I listened every night(sometimes multiple times a night) for 3 months. For me it was like magic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.