The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What if you already know enough?

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Feb 3, 2022
The most obvious danger of consuming too much is that it turns you into a consumer.

A lot of that “free” (and paid) content out there is designed to turn you into someone else’s consumer. (And it’s not free btw... not unless you put zero value on the time it took to consume that “free” content.)

You probably knew this right?

But here’s something I’ve noticed from PMs with a few thousand forum members:

Many of you don’t think you know enough to get started.

Many of you are constantly looking for something else to consume so you can finally become a producer.

The more insidious danger of consuming is that it makes you think you don’t already know enough to start.

I always imagine a young lad knocking on the door with a lawnmower in tow.

“Hey mister. Do you need your grass cut?”

“Not today thanks.”

“No thanks. Maybe another time.”

“Oh wow. I was just thinking of finding someone to cut my grass. Yes please.”

(I live in a very polite little world.)

You know what that lad didn’t do?

He didn’t think:

“I need a logo.”

“I need a website.”

“I don’t know enough about cold calling.”

“I need to go to the library and get a heap of books on how to start a business.”

Many of us know to give ourselves a stern talking to when we catch ourselves action faking.

But did you know the hidden rabbit-hole lying in wait for you in the library?

“Oh boy. I didn’t realise I needed to know about marketing as well as just starting a business.”

“Uh-oh... I didn’t know I needed to create avatars of my ideal customers before I go knocking on doors. What if I go round the wrong estate?”

“USP?! Whoa. I’m glad I came into the library today. I wouldn't have known that I didn’t know about USPs.”

“Scaling? Growth? What’s that mean? Should I even try to start a grass cutting business?”

“OMG... look at all this stuff I didn’t know I needed to learn before I even step out of the house and speak to people this fine Saturday afternoon.”

Many of you are straight out of school or college.

You’ve been taught to consume and read your way out of problems.

Whenever a new challenge comes up you’ve been programmed to search for a book or course.

This is how deep the script has it’s claws in you. And the further you got into the education system the deeper those claws.

I get it. I was a good student. I got my degree. I worked a cubicle for nearly 2 decades. I took the courses. I Googled for “books on XYZ”. I took “evening classes on ABC”. I even decided I “needed” an MSc to get ahead.

I learned slowly that the lad with the lawnmower (who may very well have dropped out of school) was street-smart where I was book-smart.

And that he was streets ahead of me.

Then one day someone asked me a very simple question:

“Andy. What if you already know enough?”

Oh.

We all want to join team producer right?

The best way is to produce more, not consume more.

What would you do then?

Do that.

PS: This was all *produced* on my phone on a coach to the airport.

I could have consumed a podcast for the hour, or I could have produced a post in that hour. I chose to gain clarity by producing, to help others by producing, and to not clutter up my head with yet more “knowledge”.

I chose to clear my head not fill it.
Thank you andy for sharing, Im glad you bought this up because I have been reading and watching youtube videos on how to build a website without starting to build my website. This post has made me realize that I have been action faking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ninjacopywriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 14, 2023
The most obvious danger of consuming too much is that it turns you into a consumer.

A lot of that “free” (and paid) content out there is designed to turn you into someone else’s consumer. (And it’s not free btw... not unless you put zero value on the time it took to consume that “free” content.)

Many of you are constantly looking for something else to consume so you can finally become a producer.

The more insidious danger of consuming is that it makes you think you don’t already know enough to start.

“Not today thanks.”

He didn’t think:

“I need a logo.”

“I need a website.”

“I need to go to the library and get a heap of books on how to start a business.”

Many of us know to give ourselves a stern talking to when we catch ourselves action faking.

“Oh boy. I didn’t realise I needed to know about marketing as well as just starting a business.”

“Uh-oh... I didn’t know I needed to create avatars of my ideal customers before I go knocking on doors. What if I go round the wrong estate?”

“USP?! Whoa. I’m glad I came into the library today. I wouldn't have known that I didn’t know about USPs.”

“Scaling? Growth? What’s that mean? Should I even try to start a grass cutting business?”

“OMG... look at all this stuff I didn’t know I needed to learn before I even step out of the house and speak to people this fine Saturday afternoon.”

Whenever a new challenge comes up you’ve been programmed to search for a book or course.

This is how deep the script has it’s claws in you. And the further you got into the education system the deeper those claws.

I get it. I was a good student. I got my degree. I worked a cubicle for nearly 2 decades. I took the courses. I Googled for “books on XYZ”. I took “evening classes on ABC”. I even decided I “needed” an MSc to get ahead.

I learned slowly that the lad with the lawnmower (who may very well have dropped out of school) was street-smart where I was book-smart.

Oh.

What would you do then?

Do that.

I could have consumed a podcast for the hour, or I could have produced a post in that hour. I chose to gain clarity by producing, to help others by producing, and to not clutter up my head with yet more “knowledge”.

Thank you for sharing this thread with me Andy :)

I was always the type of person that took action and figured out things along the way. I just learned how to create a newsletter by creating a newsletter haha.

I went on substack, created a quick logo on canvas, picked a name, wrote the About section, wrote the welcome email, wrote two email/articles - the structure I got from one girl I follow who is a part-time creator.

That was it...

But then, when I was looking for a job to have some cashflow, I encountered a lot of rejection or ghosting and job postings with SEO in their description or Google Console or whatever.

Then, I realized I didn't know and I started to learn some things - though I confess I kept avoid SEO until now. At the same time, chatGPT came along and I was like...do I really need this skill?

Maybe for now yes...

But I am more the type of "let's figure out" as we go :) even though now I feel a little stuck career-wise

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for sharing this thread with me Andy :)

I was always the type of person that took action and figured out things along the way. I just learned how to create a newsletter by creating a newsletter haha.

I went on substack, created a quick logo on canvas, picked a name, wrote the About section, wrote the welcome email, wrote two email/articles - the structure I got from one girl I follow who is a part-time creator.

That was it...

But then, when I was looking for a job to have some cashflow, I encountered a lot of rejection or ghosting and job postings with SEO in their description or Google Console or whatever.

Then, I realized I didn't know and I started to learn some things - though I confess I kept avoid SEO until now. At the same time, chatGPT came along and I was like...do I really need this skill?

Maybe for now yes...

But I am more the type of "let's figure out" as we go :) even though now I feel a little stuck career-wise
My suggestion ... find someone with a problem they'd likely pay to solve. Learn while you help them for free or cheal. Then charge the next person you help.

Start by finding someone to help, not by hitting the books.

Costa

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
618%
Dec 8, 2022
Zero to Hero

“Not today thanks.”

He didn’t think:

“I need a logo.”

“I need a website.”

Oh.

What would you do then?

Do that.

Awesome thread! It's time to start being team producer... I already know enough that's for sure.

I don't see any "Favorites - Bookmark" option to save this thread so I'm making this reply to make it easier to find later in the future

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Awesome thread! It's time to start being team producer... I already know enough that's for sure.

I don't see any "Favorites - Bookmark" option to save this thread so I'm making this reply to make it easier to find later in the future
I bookmark a lot of threads in my browser.

rensjake

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 11, 2023
What a mind blowing facts, Thank you. I was definetly paralized thinking about every problems that could happen, That I forgot that taking action is the best Solution.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022

“Not today thanks.”

He didn’t think:

“I need a logo.”

“I need a website.”

Oh.

What would you do then?

Do that.

Really needed this post Andy thank you

Etype76

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jul 31, 2022
AZ

“Not today thanks.”

He didn’t think:

“I need a logo.”

“I need a website.”

Oh.

What would you do then?

Do that.

Wow! yeah I never think I know enough, even though I know more than all those around me and so they all look to me as a leader. But it's a much bigger sea than my little pond here! There is so much to learn so I don't flub it all up! I guess quality over quantity for sure. I skipped collage and jumped right into IT and MIS in the beginning of my career. Have been through marketing, business development, project management, and have been part of many failed startups so have a broad spectrum of knowledge, but I still feel the need to learn, or find mentors who have been where I am. Hopefully that will manifest here! Thanks for another great post!

ashutosh_

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 27, 2023

“Not today thanks.”

He didn’t think:

“I need a logo.”

“I need a website.”

Oh.

What would you do then?

Do that.

Damn, this is so true! I needed this wake-up call. Thanks!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Added this video to the opening post:

themohr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 10, 2023
Colorado
This. This is exactly the point I've reached. After working in CA for 20 years, obtaining a master's degree, etc. I just want to produce something great! Your post affirms exactly what I needed to hear.

Cheers!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Mar 19, 2024
I've read the line "produce, do not consume" in MF, but until I've read this post few times, I didn't get it. It definitely opened my eyes at how much time I'm wasting under the influence of "I'm learning something", instead of just doing something concrete and seeing what happens. Thank you for writing this.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've read the line "produce, do not consume" in MF, but until I've read this post few times, I didn't get it. It definitely opened my eyes at how much time I'm wasting under the influence of "I'm learning something", instead of just doing something concrete and seeing what happens. Thank you for writing this.
Glad it helped.

This video might drive the point home:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Gave this post a second read and golded it.

This is an amazing insight. Thanks @Andy Black

There are many dichotomies in the life of an entrepreneur:

• Humility vs Pride
    • You need to be proud of your work.
    • But not get blinded by your own ego.
  • Execution vs Strategy
    • Hard work is mandatory (execution).
    • But it's only useful if you're moving in the right direction (strategy).
  • Learning vs Doing
    • You need to have domain-specific skills and knowledge to be able to solve a problem.
    • But you can't invoice anyone just because you've learned x, y, and z.

Learning vs doing is a tough call. I struggle heavily to balance those two.

In my own experience, the most effective type of learning is on-the-job training / need-to-know basis:
  • You F*cking START DOING something.
  • You pick up a book when you've clearly identified a key missing piece of knowledge.
  • You go back to DOING and you immediately apply what you've learned.
  • You then teach this knowledge to others (e.g. train your team, write a forum thread, etc.)

It's very easy to fall into:
  • The pitfall of learning: "I don't know enough yet"
  • The pitfall of doing - trying to compensate for your lack of expertise and efficiency by working 10 times harder

Both will lead to failure.

It takes a lot of wisdom and self-awareness to be able to navigate this dichotomy, especially as the scale or complexity of your operation increases.

But for the young entrepreneurs - err on the side that you most likely already know enough to get started.

And just get started.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
The cycle is act asses adjust.

It always starts with act.

For the longest time I spent 90% of my time assessing.
Now I mostly do act and I got to a point where I make 10x more money than before.
Granted it's still not a lot but I could live off it.

Try living off reading books or watching videos...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.