The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What hobby or business is good to expand social circle?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
Can someone recommend me what business should I start or maybe what hobby to acquire to expand my social circle? I don't want to do it full time, but rather a kind of part-time project. I was always amazed by TV anchors, as they are so good in connecting with people while they have guests in their shows every day. But this is too late for me as I made a career in technology and not going to change it. I was also thinking of opening up a bar or a restaurant where I can meet new people every day and make connections. Also, if this is a bar, I can get free drinks :)

PS It is not actually a life and death situation for me, but rather something that I want to think of in a long run. When you work 9-5 in the office it is kinda boring and sometimes it is hard to meet new people.

Anyway, I appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I think if you open up a bar or restaurant, it should be because you want to serve people great food and give them an awesome experience, Not because you want to make friends. Friends may be a side effect of having a successful business, but it worries me that you would want to start a business to make friends.

If you did want to expand your social circle, the first thing that comes to my mind is doing something in night life. Maybe even picking up a part time job on the weekends at a restaurant or working as a bartender.

Another good way to make friends is to do things you like to do with other people. I like to go to the gym, so sometimes I'll strike a conversation with people who work at the desk, or the trainers or even the members. Its easy to make friends when you both are doing an activity you like and can relate through.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Can someone recommend me what business should I start or maybe what hobby to acquire to expand my social circle? I don't want to do it full time, but rather a kind of part-time project. I was always amazed by TV anchors, as they are so good in connecting with people while they have guests in their shows every day. But this is too late for me as I made a career in technology and not going to change it. I was also thinking of opening up a bar or a restaurant where I can meet new people every day and make connections. Also, if this is a bar, I can get free drinks :)

PS It is not actually a life and death situation for me, but rather something that I want to think of in a long run. When you work 9-5 in the office it is kinda boring and sometimes it is hard to meet new people.

Hobby : Ballroom / social type of dancing (salsa, tango etc.)

Usually equal number of men and women, and the people are always in good shape.
Not sure why though. Maybe because only beautiful people can join these classes lol

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Realtors are always out there shaking hands and adding clumps of 10-20 people per day on facebook.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Check out the suggestions here:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Provide a B2B service that anyone in your local town would benefit from?

I get to meet and chat with new people around the world on Zoom every week, and meet new people locally for a coffee every month. The best bit is they’re all either business owners or budding business owners, so I love the conversations.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ

You need to be more specific here. It's almost like you are asking 'What are some good ways to spend some money'....

The crux of the issue here is have you given ANY thought about the TYPE of people you want to meet, or what the goal of that would be?

My suggestions would be totally different if you are trying to surround yourself with business owners to help grow your business VS. network and meet a whole bunch of women to find yourself a wife. Maybe you want to get better at some ONE THING, or expand that social circle in some particular area.

What are your HOBBIES? What are you LOOKING for in the next 1-5-10 years? Who are the PEOPLE you would like to align yourself with? Someone to hang out on the WEEKENDS with or help you be ACCOUNTABLE towards your fastlane or workout etc success?

You need to thoroughly THINK THIS THROUGH as meeting people, following up and building your network is a significant drain on your time, energy and potentially money.

I don't think you need another 'Go work the front desk at your local spa' response here.

What do you want all this to lead to?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Tbh all these ideas are weird. Maybe photographer but it’s low status.

Go be a club promoter in a major city, you’ll have hot chicks with you all the time, huge leverage. Get an apartment by the club. Women are the currency. You’ll be able to make friends with any successful guys too because you have what everyone wants, access to females.

Long term, have a business and possibly start some sort of podcast or build a media presence and then you can connect with other people in your industry and have something to offer. Look at someone like Joe Rogan. He’s friends with everyone.

Do you just want to be around people and have some lame friends for hanging out on the weekend? Go get some stupid office job where you’ll have a bunch of other young office coworkers. Personally I’d rather kill myself than be stuck around those kinds of people all the time.

If you want to have winner friends you’re going to have to be a winner yourself.

I do not find my winner friends through work. You’ll likely only meet loser employees through work.

If you want to be around more chicks you should not do it from your job (aside from being a promoter). You should throw parties and live a cool lifestyle.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I know I already answered but... any business where you're talking to other business people. Or driven people who aren't dependent on their employers because they have unusually high levels of expertise and independence.

Also... not sure op is here anymore. Haven't seen any responses from them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.