The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What ever happened to...

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
The guy from the RD forums that went by the name SeriouslyStubborn?

I loved reading his posts and am currently beginning my REI career, trying to follow his model for success. Seems like he just vanished... Anyone know his story?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Never heard of him ... sorry.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
He was all about self management and processes. He wrote a lot of information for investors to use for managing their houses. Seems that he had a few.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I loved reading his posts and am currently beginning my REI career, trying to follow his model for success.

What is your goal? Is it passive income? There are faster ways than buying homes and self managing.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
What is your goal? Is it passive income? There are faster ways than buying homes and self managing.

Yes, eventually my goal will be to create passive income of $5,000+ / mo. through investing in SFH's (selling on lease-options, then 1031 exchanging into another property). I figure this will take me 4-5 years; but first, I'm going to focus on building up a cash cushion through a few small flips.

In my area, median home prices are around $118,000, so I intend to pick up some decent deals by helping out homeowners that are facing foreclosure - creating win-win solutions that will save the homeowner's credit from further damage and help them with a new start, while allowing me to pick up investment properties at a 25% discount to FMV. Then it will be a quick makeover (landscaping, carpet, and paint), put it on the market, and sell at 90-95% of FMV in order to move it quickly. After a few of these, I should have built up my cushion enough in order to proceed with the lease-option path.

I know that you have built a great business model in multi-family properties, but to be quite honest, I don't feel that I'm ready for that yet. Maybe after gaining some experience I'll feel more confident; but for now, I'm taking it one step at a time...

:cheers:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
The guy from the RD forums that went by the name SeriouslyStubborn?

I loved reading his posts and am currently beginning my REI career, trying to follow his model for success. Seems like he just vanished... Anyone know his story?

I emailed him last the address I had for him/(her?) and directed him to this post.
Hopefully the address is still good.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
By the way, kwerner, there are more efficient (and therefore faster) ways of making $5,000 in the "safe" game of real estate than using SFH's. Had to mention it =)

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
By the way, kwerner, there are more efficient (and therefore faster) ways of making $5,000 in the "safe" game of real estate than using SFH's. Had to mention it =)

I realize this, but like I was telling SeveO, I'm just not ready for it yet. It would be like giving a Lambo to a 15 year old that's never even driven a stick. (Can you imagine the sound of the transmission grinding - yikes!)

Commercial property is something I will absolutly consider in the future, but I recall someone once saying that you have to do your first deal before you can do your second, and you have to do your second before you can do your third...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Commercial property is something I will absolutly consider in the future, but I recall someone once saying that you have to do your first deal before you can do your second, and you have to do your second before you can do your third...

Well it may feel like you are being hammered on but that is not the intent.

There are a lot of ways to invest and do so successfully. The question is how fast you want to go. Owning homes may be a good safe way for you to go. I just don't see it as the fast way unless you have a system to turn lots of them rapidly.

It is very possible to go straight to apartments. There are a number of ways to accomplish the task but a solid plan is necessary.

With apartment buildings, you can manipulate the value by purchasing the right property in the right location. It takes a process for evaluating and managing to make it all happen. The building of wealth can happen rapidly if you do it right though.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Well it may feel like you are being hammered on but that is not the intent.

No, no, I certainly don't feel like you guys are hammering me; I respect everyone's view point and appreciate everyone's willingness to help.

What would you recommend to someone, wanting to learn about commercial real estate investing?

And as far as financial basis and industry experience - what would you consider the minimums that an investor have to begin in commercial investing? Is it necessary to have 20-30% down to purchase commercial property; and do you recommend an approximate percentage for a cash cushion to have to cover the necessary repairs / maintanence / vacancies? Also, what kind of industry knowledge / experience is necessary to have before starting out?

Thanks for the hammering. :smx4:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
kwerner, this topic really hits close to home for me... I was in a similar situation two years ago, although I had some rentals at the time and had had successful deals with SFHs, but I realized that this was not an efficient way of accomplish my goals (would take tooooo long).

My suggestion is to do what I did at the time... I started getting my self educated... I read the two books that SteveO recommended (Vollucci's and Berges') and started networking to try to put together a group a la Vollucci. Why I did this? Because that worked for others, so I just needed to follow it (thanks SteveO for the guidance).

I am doing it and I think you can too.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Thanks for the encouragement andviv. I'll pick up those books on Amazon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...