• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum will be undergoing some maintenance on Saturday Jan 19th and may not look normal. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last for only for up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

3. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

OFF-TOPIC What Countries and Places Offer the Best Life Quality?

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by MTF, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Smuggo

Smuggo Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $315
    I am from Poland and I coudn't have agreed more about the sea, lakes, forests and women.

Unfortunetely the weather here is deepresing. I am getting headaches because one day you have a beautifull sun and next day is raining. Also there are summers when it's raining through whole month.

Since I love sun I have plans to move to the south Spain where I can kite whenever I want to.

But damn, first I need to move from Slowlane (which is shi* here as hell) to the FastLane.

Arek Skubida likes this.
  2. Olimac21

Olimac21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,491
    What about Australia? I always heard it is the best country to live by far if you put all key attributes together.

3. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $74,228
    IMO plenty of places have mountains, sea, lakes and forests, but if it's cold and cloudy most of the year (as @Smuggo mentioned), it doesn't really mean that much. I guess the same can be said (except for the West/East culture) about Slovenia, Norway, Iceland, UK, Ireland, and many more countries.

Tarifa or somewhere else? How's kiteboarding in Poland? Only possible in the summer because of the temperature or do you do it in a wetsuit year round?

It's a good place to live, but like every other, has its drawbacks. I too believed it's the best country to live in, but after being there twice I think it's just another place. Good, but not perfect.

For me, the main drawbacks include:
    • high taxes - the highest personal income tax is 45%, which is crazy high. Granted, I didn't see a single homeless person there (but this obviously depends on where you are; there are a lot of homeless people in Melbourne for example), the infrastructure is good, and the country is very safe when it comes to personal safety (crime, etc.).
    • expensive - again, depends on the location, but if you want a good lifestyle, you'll probably live by the coast which is extremely expensive in the nicest areas (I'm particularly talking about real estate).
    • distance - it's not like Europe, Asia or even many places in the US where you can fly abroad in a couple of hours at most. Except for New Zealand, it takes about 5+ hours or more to fly to another country, and even then, you're limited to the small Pacific countries and a few countries in Asia. Everything else requires a super long flight.
    • nanny state - you're required to wear a helmet all the time when cycling, it's super easy to get a speeding ticket for driving just slightly past the limit (thankfully it didn't happen to me), alcohol consumption comes with many regulations (it doesn't bother me as I don't drink but might be an issue for many people), some websites are banned (like all torrent sites - obviously you can use VPN, but still, shows how intrusive the government is). They have obsession with safety, which some might consider sensible, but which I consider too infringing on personal freedom.
    • dangers everywhere - speaking of safety, you actually need to be more cautious daily, particularly if you like spending time outdoors. You go swimming at the beach, you need to be extremely aware of what's happening around you because there are rips everywhere. Forget about swimming on an unpatrolled beach (normal in many places around the world) unless you're a very good swimmer. Depending on the place, there are some dangerous sea creatures which, even if they won't kill you, can hurt you pretty bad (a few days ago, thousands were stung by blue bottles, which is extremely painful). If you go take a piss in the bushes by the beach, you need to be careful not to surprise a brown snake (one of the most poisonous snakes in the world). Then there are regular flash floods, cyclones, and heat waves.
    I still think that Australia could be a pretty good place to live, but it's not perfect. No place is - it's a matter of finding one that comes with advantages important to you and drawbacks you can tolerate.

Olimac21, Hijena1 and Longinus like this.
  4. Arun Siva

Arun Siva aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $12,557
    Im in between scandinavia and germany and quite frankly scandinavia has a slight edge. More specifically Norway since it is not in the EU due to positioning of its Resources, they do not have to worry about footing the bill for example other EU nations that are struggling. We all know the EU is LED by germany and the runer Up is France. But because my line of work is still steady and strong in Germany, it is a good proposition. The quality of life I cannot emphasize enough is just hands down way way better then america. The people as well. It is Nice to be surrounded by well educated, descent and amicable people. Also the nature and beauty of Norway is irreplacable and not found without spending considerable time and money in the USA (Canada may be a tad bit similar to Norway I feel). However that is just my preference. I dont mind the cold climates either nor do I mind learning new languages.

5. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $74,228
    Cold is one thing but what about extremely short winter days?

6. Arek Skubida

Arek Skubida New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $31
    The same - trying to get out of Slowlane ;-)

Smuggo likes this.
  7. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,217
    I hate that too. It's better since I'm jobless and can go where and when I want. But when I had a job, it was driving at work in the dark, being locked up during the 8 hours of daylight, and driving back home in the dark (and that's just Belgium!).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    UnrealCreative and MTF like this.
  8. delNaglos

delNaglos New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $22
    I prefer Switzerland or Liechtenstein to live in.

For me the reasons are:

- Both countrys are very liberal in their political behavior (So am I)
    - The tax environment for private persons and companys are fair
    - I like mountains with snow in the winter an nice seas in the summer (you can have both in this countrys)
    - I like the behavior of the people there
    - You get good food
    - You live in a safe area
    - Good services in the case you get ill
    - No corruption
    - Plus for switzerland: Multi-Language Country

MTF likes this.
  9. MTF

Rep Bank:
    $74,228
    Even from the border of Switzerland with Italy you're about 3 hours by car from the Italian coast (and much more from bigger Swiss cities). Is it common for people from Switzerland to do trips like that or did you refer to Swiss lakes, not sea?

delNaglos likes this.
  10. delNaglos

delNaglos New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $22
    I meant Swiss lakes ;) But this is a quite interesting fact I didn't thought about. In winter I'm always in the Swiss alpine and there are many Italian people for vacation at that time. So I would assume that Swiss citizen are doing the same in summer and travel to the Italian coast. I don't like the salty water, so that's not for me ;)

MTF likes this.
  11. Olimac21

Olimac21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,491
    A big factor with Switzerland and some of the Northern European countries is people´s behaviors. For someone used to a more warm culture ( latin culture for example) it is difficult to adapt to people´s behavior and general coldness of others in how people relate to each other.

Do not know if someone already touched on this before but it is a huge factor IMO. I would rather be in an average place with a great community than in an excellent one with no strong friendships.

Hijena1 and MTF like this.
  12. MTF

Rep Bank:
    $74,228
    @Olimac21, it's definitely a huge factor. I myself also greatly prefer warm extroverted cultures even though I'm an introvert. But what's funny is that when I speak the language of a warm culture (like Spanish), I become more extroverted and warm, too. It's incredible how language affects our behavior.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  13. kanunay

kanunay Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $167
    I've been to the Philippines twice, and attempted to learn some of the language. I'm an introvert also, but I had a really fun time there with the locals trying to speak their dialect - perhaps it was the Filipino people, but I really noticed a difference in my behavior when I was there. It was like being a whole different person. I can't wait to go back some day.

delNaglos and MTF like this.
  14. Olimac21

Rep Bank:
    $1,491
    Also a not too obvious tip I can give from my experience (I have lived in 8 countries up to date) and what I am reading at the moment (The Culture Map-Erin Meyer, recommended reading) is to be crystal clear about cultural differences.

These are some factors to take into consideration, you might say its quite business oriented but is also very applied to personal relationships or how people live their daily life.

For instance some of the key factors in my opinion are whether people are task based or relationship based and scheduling ( how people see time) which will have different implications on how you interact with the local culture.

So a smart step apart from the emotional side of things ( how you feel with people, weather, food, girls level lol and overall gut feeling of when you first visited there) is to see how compatible is your personality/ values with the country´s culture you plan to live in. Of course any change of countries must be made with an open mind and attitude against big differences but in my experience that is easier said than done.

You can ask two simple questions:

1. Which similarities I have with this culture I am entering?

2. Which are the main differences with me and the elements of the new culture? How do I plan to manage these?

Attached Files:

delNaglos and MTF like this.
  15. Arun Siva

Arun Siva aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $12,557
    Not a problem for me at least Haha. I dont mind it at all. Partly because I am busy and I usually return Home around 8-9 at night because of language class as well. If one is active enough and has enough on their plate all those other things dont matter.

MTF likes this.
  16. Smuggo

Smuggo Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $315
    I was thinking about Tarifa where is windy for most of the year or Sevilla.

About Kiteboarding in Poland you have season through June to the end of September. Later on almost everything is closed, it takes time to find a place to sleep or eat and it's really cold. And I am always using wetsuit. Well, one time I didn't use because there was about 30 degrees. Anyway this year was lacking of wind unfortunately.

MTF likes this.
  17. UnrealCreative

UnrealCreative ♫♪ "It was all a dream..."♬♪ Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,088
    cdf5dad63db188c23ec16008f2483029.png

Roz, rogue synthetic, MTF and 2 others like this.
  18. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $107
    I live in Poland (Warsaw) and want to move into a warmer place in the future. The weather is tragic (cold, rain) for most of the year.

What do you think about Florida? I know that the weather does not drop below 20 degrees for the whole year, but it's raining a lot?

MTF likes this.
  19. MTF

Rep Bank:
    $74,228
    @UnrealCreative LOL taipan tie.

I forgot about a stonefish. The first time I tried standup paddleboarding in Australia, as we were entering the water the guy from the SUP rental company told me to watch where I step because if I step on a stonefish (they were present in the area), I'll suffer for the next few months (that's how long full recovery takes).

You get used to dangerous wildlife, but I think it still affects how much fun you have outdoors when you have to worry about stuff like that. If you aren't into sports and don't spend much time outside of a big city, then obviously it's not really a big deal as you'll rarely, if ever, encounter any dangerous animals.

It's a very humid region, and I prefer drier climates. If you don't mind high humidity, it's not that bad climate-wise - it's warm and sunny year round.

UnrealCreative likes this.
  20. UnrealCreative

UnrealCreative ♫♪ "It was all a dream..."♬♪ Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $9,088
    @MTF Any experience with Valencia / Xabia?

Heard Valencia is best in terms of value for money in south Spain, and Xabia looks like an awesome blend of water, mountains, and small town. So very easy to go to the big city (Valencia) and a short 45 min drive for a more relaxing pace.

Also considering staying in one of the "Co-Living" places there:
    Sun and Co. | The home to location independent workers (No affiliation)

MTF likes this.
  21. MTF

Rep Bank:
    $74,228
    I've been there on a rock climbing trip (twice in the area actually, once closer to Valencia and once closer to Alicante) and mostly spent time around Gandia, but I've been to Xàbia as well (only to hike Montgó, though). Like many small towns in southern Spain, the place tends to be dead during winter but I guess it can be an advantage.

I only passed through Valencia, but it looked slightly decrepit (though maybe it was just one area).

Awesome, awesome rock climbing all over the place in the region. From Xàbia you're not that far away from Alicante, too (about one hour). There are also a lot of hiking opportunities nearby. For an outdoorsy life, it's definitely a good place. If there were consistent surf there (and warmer water outside of summer), it would be even better.

I think that southern Spain generally is a good value for money, particularly now.

UnrealCreative likes this.
  22. Hijena1

Hijena1 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $340
    This is so true! For example when speaking English I feel like a total badass or movie star,awesome!
    How many languages do you speak?

MTF likes this.
  23. MTF

Rep Bank:
    $74,228
    @Hijena1, three including my native language (English is not my native language).

I guess the local language can also be an important factor for some people. I personally don't mind learning new languages, but I know that many people would move only to another English-speaking country which greatly limits their choices.

Hijena1 likes this.
  24. Hijena1

Hijena1 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $340
    Yeah, what you discover when learning new language is beyond amazing. What technique are you using when learning new language? I was thinking about making the new thread about this subject and it is a valuable tool knowing more then one language.
    By far the best technique I stumbled upon (using it right now):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMfg4WkKL8

You can just watch the end. In the nutshell every word needs a feeling, picture, voice, song, color or association... But even with this technique I am having problems learning 3rd language. The progress is just too damn slow.
    Do you have better suggestion, how do you do it and how long does it take?

Olimac21 likes this.
  25. MTF

Rep Bank:
    $74,228
    I read his book sometime ago.

I learn languages through consistent exposure to native speakers. By far the fastest way to learn is to hire a teacher on Italki.com and have regular conversational classes with them.

I also watch a lot of foreign-language TV series as they provide a perfect glimpse into the world of native speakers, including everyday language, common phrases, slang, their gestures, how they interact with each other, etc.

Other than that, whatever you like to do in your native language, do it in your target language. Listen to music and podcasts. Read books or if your level is not high enough yet, children's books or short articles online.

I usually stay away from content created specifically for language learners because I want to understand the real language. Also, when you expose yourself to regular native content, you'll struggle in the same way as you'll struggle once you're surrounded by native speakers (when people speak too fast, don't speak very clearly, use slang, etc.), and this is the key to learn quickly.

Please do that so that we don't derail this thread.

Hijena1 likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.