• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Notable! Live Rent Free in Multiple Countries

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by GlobalWealth, Apr 29, 2015.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. MTF

MTF Never give up Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $40,028
    How are you going to manage the keyless entry for guests? A different code for each guest with an expiration date?

FastNAwesome and GlobalWealth like this.
  2. GlobalWealth

GlobalWealth Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,760
    I have 2 backup people close by for emergencies.

I will say the last 2 times I stayed at airbnb they were both superhosts and both were automated with no one at checkout. Great experience.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

3. GlobalWealth

GlobalWealth Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,760
    Yes

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

MTF likes this.
  4. Valor

Valor Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,089
    @GlobalWealth I recently had the idea of doing the same thing you talk about in the OP within the U.S. by renting several apartments across the country (negotiating permission with the landlords of course), and then renting them out on Airbnb.

I ran the numbers and don't see any reason why it wouldn't work out to where you could have several apartments across the country and not pay a penny for any of them (and more likely make 20-50% annual ROI's with them). After running the numbers, I fully plan on doing this in the near future within the U.S.

I see that you've done this (rented out apartments on Airbnb that you yourself are renting from a landlord), but it seems it's been in other countries so far. Do you have any experience doing so strictly in the U.S.?

Do you have any tips that you would give for negotiating permission from landlords to sublease the apartments? Or any advice for using Airbnb - increasing nightly rates, fill rates, etc. using their platform?

My plan is offer to pay a large (50-100%) of the full 12 month lease upfront as necessary to help gain permission to list the apartments on Airbnb. From there, achieving a nightly rate of 9-10% of the monthly rent/expenses and a 50% fill rate on Airbnb seems doable, leaving rough profit before cleaning services, etc. at about 50% of the monthly rent I'd be paying.

I see other people have mentioned related stuff in this thread too, so I hope it's not repetitive. I guess my question is, if you were to go this route, given your experience and knowledge, what general advice would you give, i.e. how would you approach this starting out?

Thanks so much for the thread btw - no clue how I've missed it before.

GlobalWealth likes this.
  5. GlobalWealth

Rep Bank:
    $15,760
    The answer is just work. You will need to review the rental agreement and ensure it does not prohibit sublets. You will also need to confirm any hoa does not prohibit short term leases. Just talk to the landlords. Ask them. Many will say no. Talk to more.

It's just a math problem. It doesn't matter what country the property is located in.

Not really. Just play around with the platform until you get the settings you like. You will likely need to start with a low nightly rate to get some guests and reviews. Once you have a few reviews just raise your prices.

Just take your time. Find the right property in the right location. For short term rentals, locations is even more important. You can have an amazing property but it may be just slightly out of walking distance to the restaurants, bars, etc. and no one will rent it no matter what the price. Travelers want convenience. You will not get rich quick doing this. Take your time.

6. hers1357

hers1357 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $26
    Interesting post! I do this in the UK.. I have 2 apartments I sub-let and rent on airbnb and some other sites. It is a lot of work, but the money can be good. I've been doing it for almost a year now and renting a couple of rooms out in my own house. I'm looking to get more here asap and also automate it with key safes.

GlobalWealth likes this.
  7. Bach89

Bach89 Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $122
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet (I did a search for "AirDNA" and nothing came up) but:

AirDNA.

Essentially it's a place where you can buy data on certain cities/parts of cities to tell you their activity, frequency of booking, etc.

It saved me a ton of money on potentially buying an AirBNB property in a low-activity area of Toronto, and I'm confident that if you don't use it already, it will save (or make) you a ton of money as well. The website is airdna(dot)co - and no, I have no affiliation.

First post though, so hey everybody!

Longinus and GlobalWealth like this.
  8. tristano

tristano New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Have few friends who bought apartment in Canary islands. They bought in 2014/2015 when prices dropped due to economic crise in Spain and prices where way lower than right now. Anyway, you can find some opportunities even these days (there are always good opportunities).

GlobalWealth and Kingmaker like this.