The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

TammyQ

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 15, 2019
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
I'm currently reading "ASK! " by Mark Victor Hansen and Crystal Hansen

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Just finished listening to Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey. He really is a good writer and his presentation reading it was great. He had me laughing my a$$ off, thinking deep about my take on life, and how I want to continue to live. Idk if it’s because I’m a southern boy like him and we had many relatable experiences or what, but I’d definitely recommend the audible book. Great life lessons and fun to listen to.

seraphine

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
May 14, 2021
Currently reading Why Startups Fail by Tom Eisenmann. I've been finding it helpful and informative.

D

Deleted74925

Just finished "will it fly" by pat flynn.

@Andy Black may I ask which forum it was?

Pat Flynn, the guy who @Andy Black posted in my execution thread when I had just started an learning content business, almost 2 years ago! He comes across as being very well grounded with family while also working an incredible amount.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Re-reading Gordon Graham's 'White Papers for Dummies' for an Upwork job.
Been a while since I wrote a white paper...
Outlines the different types of white papers for different purposes/ sales funnel parts, and the entire process of writing one.

His website has some white papers samples, which I still look at even today.

Also picked up Bob Bly's "Super-Productivity for Writers". Was cheap at around $28
Need to work on writing faster.

If I had more moolah and reading time though, I would have bought Ben Settle's 'Breakneck Content'.
But as usual, it costs a big budget, and comes as a physical book instead of ebook.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I'm sort of reading a few at the same time. I jump around.

Buy Then Build by Walker Deibel. Won from a forum giveaway. Thanks again @MJ DeMarco. So far it's a great book. Working through it slowly.

Letting Go by David Hawkins, recommended a few times by @MJ DeMarco.

The Art of Living Consciously by Nathaniel Branden. Recommended in another thread by @PapaGang.

Personality Isn't Permanent by Benjamin Hardy. The newest one that I'm reading. Every page flows so well. Great book so far.

The Sovereign Individual by James Davidson and Lord William Rees-Mogg. Recommended a few times on the forum. I realized over the last couple months that freedom, critical thinking, and common sense is really important to me. This book is tightly packed with information and feels like it's written at a higher level. I have to read it a little slower because the vocabulary they use is advanced.

These 5 books are my current collection with the goal of finishing each. I have others that I put aside while I work on these. I don't always have a lot of time to read so I set a goal of 10-20 pages per day at those times that I dedicate to reading.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I'm sort of reading a few at the same time. I jump around.

Buy Then Build by Walker Deibel. Won from a forum giveaway. Thanks again @MJ DeMarco. So far it's a great book. Working through it slowly.

Letting Go by David Hawkins, recommended a few times by @MJ DeMarco.

The Art of Living Consciously by Nathaniel Branden. Recommended in another thread by @PapaGang.

Personality Isn't Permanent by Benjamin Hardy. The newest one that I'm reading. Every page flows so well. Great book so far.

The Sovereign Individual by James Davidson and Lord William Rees-Mogg. Recommended a few times on the forum. I realized over the last couple months that freedom, critical thinking, and common sense is really important to me. This book is tightly packed with information and feels like it's written at a higher level. I have to read it a little slower because the vocabulary they use is advanced.

These 5 books are my current collection with the goal of finishing each. I have others that I put aside while I work on these. I don't always have a lot of time to read so I set a goal of 10-20 pages per day at those times that I dedicate to reading.
These are all great books and have helped me grow as a person and a professional. It's great to see this sort of reading action in this forum—well—actually anyplace. Especially with the amount of modern hypnosis that our society is swimming in.

This forum almost never fails to encourage me.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
If anyone is looking for a refreshing take on how to brand your new business and / or how to differentiate yourself, I just finished "Different: Escaping the Competitive Herd" by Youngme Moon.

She is very perceptive, makes interesting connections, is quite intelligent yet the writing is really approachable. I find her to be an excellent writer. I read all 225 pages in a day.

It's not a well-known book. Off the beaten path. It's more of a narrative of her journey through the world of brands while teaching marketing to MBAs at Harvard, so it's not a "Three things you can do to supercharge your brand" type book. It's a quietly contemplative look at the essential components of building a company that excels at brand marketing. If you are looking for easy bullet points on strategies and tactics to implement, look on. This is more compelling. It will stand the test of time.

I'll bring this up again, but MJ uses Oregano's as an example of owning a productocracy. Oregano's could have been a case study in this book. Great brand marketing doesn't need big advertising dollars. Think Birkenstocks, Swatch, MINI, Red Bull.

Last edited:

ziggizoezion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 31, 2021
Atomic Habits by James Clear
Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets by Scott Mccloud

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2021
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
"Your Next Five Moves" By Patrick Bet-David
Patrick Bet-David Is the founder of one of the best Youtube channels for Entrepreneurs & Business Owners and people who want to learn from the greatest minds in Business, Psychology, Athletes and Even Mafia Bosses. The Channel is Valuetainment. Patrick himself owns a successful business and The Book "Your Next Five Moves" really gives you insights on many aspects of running a business. It would definitely be THE book for somebody wanting to start a business.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
How is this book? Anything new in it?
There is nothing majorly new, but there is stuff that works and tested.

Currently i am on ch 10 and it is Slow is smooth and smooth is fast is something I experienced very recently.

I wanted to learn web flow I bought a course (20 hrs) and tried to power through and complete it within a week or 10 days. Today is day 40, I could easily have given an hour or two per day and it would been completed long before today(I have completed 70%).

Yes, there might not be a silver bullet but stuff that works.

blackbeans

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 26, 2021
Currently reading Goals by Brian Tracy.
Wish I had read it when I was younger.
Currently learning how to set goals and
working towards achieving them. It's a simple
concept but it didn't cross my mind before.
This thread is gold!

Attachments

• goals.jpg
    goals.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1

Sharona87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2020
Australia
Currently reading Goals by Brian Tracy.
Wish I had read it when I was younger.
Currently learning how to set goals and
working towards achieving them. It's a simple
concept but it didn't cross my mind before.
This thread is gold!
I just purchased the audio book and will listen to this too!

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Why We Sleep.

I've heard that it has been a little bit discredited recently though?

I'm not too far in, but enjoying it so far.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Why We Sleep.

I've heard that it has been a little bit discredited recently though?

I'm not too far in, but enjoying it so far.
I really liked that book, is a bit dry but super interesting. I have not heard about that, why did it get discredited?

Roy39

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 22, 2021
These days I have read the book "The work of the nations" by the author Robert Reich. I'm from India, and recently I read an article on the internet about India Globalization, so to clarify my doubts I started reading this book. I hope to find here some extra recommendation.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I really liked that book, is a bit dry but super interesting. I have not heard about that, why did it get discredited?
A friend of mine mentioned a few months ago that some parts of it had kind of been debunked a little. All I've noticed is that he likes to take a bit of liberty with some theories/ideas he has (including podcast interviews) but he was always upfront about it just being his thoughts and there was no evidence yet.

I'm still only a third through but I'm really getting into it. It's worrying to think of the damage potentially being done by missing out on that last 60 to 120 mins of rem sleep.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
I've only read MJ's masterpieces. That's the best accident that happened to me. Now I feel like I'm not reading any other book unless it's recommended by MJ or someone on the forum.

Any recommendations?

Books I've read:
- The Millionaire Fastlane (Best mistake)
- Unscripted
- How to win friends and influence people (need to consciously apply the techniques)
- Famous Five by Enid Blyton (Bought it at a book fair)

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I read 2 or 3 books a time. Now I'm reading:

The Snowball about Warren Buffet
Seeking Wisdom
Grow rich with peace of mind by Napoleon Hill

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
Because I realized I'm kinda hot garbage at sales (at least for my own stuff; for some reason, I manage to do really well helping clients market and sell their stuff), I'm reading "Triggers" by Joseph Sugarman every night before bed.

Not sure what I'll read after that. Potentially re-read Unscripted if I can't think of anything specific by then. Been watching a lot of interesting sales, writing, design, and even neuroplasticity courses on Udemy though too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.