The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Listening to “The Microscript Rules” by Bill Schley

... as recommended by @Lex DeVille who I believe read it because @AllenCrawley recommended it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Finished Two books

"Finding my virginity" -Richard Branson
The way Branson can wake up, scrawl an idea on a beer mat, and revolutionize an industry is nothing short of blindingly inspiring. Reading this was pivotal in making me move my goals so that I end in a place where I have the scale and capital to do things to create repeat knockouts and support the failures between those instead of packing it up after an arbitrary income target later in life.

"Choose yourself" - James Altucher
Recc'd to me; it read like a very wierd, not-as-useful seth godin book. It still had utility in stressing that above all I need to choose my priorities, my goals, and my happiness above a job or things that don't create value. I do like the call out to Kamal Ravikant and his book "Love yourself like your life depended on it".

Reading:

"You Can if you think you can" -Norman Vincent Peale
Brought to NVP thru Scott adams/Trump. It's not ground breaking and it won't stain your mind like indelible ink; but there's something charming in how steadily and endlessly NVP can dedicate himself to making people approach their lives and situations with more cheer and thankfulness.

Tony Robbins - ?
I have Unlimited power and Awaken the giant within to get through; I haven't had a lot of time at my place lately so I may need to get the kindle versions and carry a journal with me.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Just Finished:

"Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence" - Rory Miller - This book was recommended by one of our Black Belts in Krav Maga. Great read and a little graphic but used in a way to teach us how to better handle ourselves in real world situations.
I strongly believe that everyone - men, women & children should learn to defend themselves. There are too many bad people out there with bad intentions and knowing how to handle yourself in life or death situations is vital.
I have bought my wife many tactical devises -stun gun flash light, tactical pen, pepper spray, etc.. and she thinks I am crazy.
I always tell people I would rather know how to defend myself and never have too, than need to defend myself or my family and NOT know how.
I have actually considered parlaying this knowledge into a side business.

I am currently reading:

"Fight Like a Physicist" - Jason Thalken - I am reading this for the same reason as above.

Re
Recc'd to me; it read like a very wierd, not-as-useful seth godin book. It still had utility in stressing that above all I need to choose my priorities, my goals, and my happiness above a job or things that don't create value. I do like the call out to Kamal Ravikant and his book "Love yourself like your life depended on it".
Read this last month. I had to google this guy half way through it. I wanted to know what this quirky guy looked like while reading some of his stuff.
I liked it and walked away with some great lessons.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Made to Stick by Dan and Chip Heath - these brothers write some of the best marketing books available.

Fire & Blood - part of the Game of Thrones series as the history of the Taergaryan family. It is written like a history book but entirely fictional. Lots of war, incest, politics and more.

Cashvertising - I am getting ready to jump back into Copywriting so I am giving this book a re-read.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Recc'd to me; it read like a very wierd, not-as-useful seth godin book. It still had utility in stressing that above all I need to choose my priorities, my goals, and my happiness above a job or things that don't create value. I do like the call out to Kamal Ravikant and his book "Love yourself like your life depended on it".[/QUOTE]

He has a really good podcast and interviews interesting people. In fact, his interview with Seth Godin is one of my favorite podcast episodes ever.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
He has a really good podcast and interviews interesting people. In fact, his interview with Seth Godin is one of my favorite podcast episodes ever.
LMAO, I feel that Altucher x Godin bouncing their values in serving and producing value to the world off each other in all these different ways would cause a cosmic rip into the fabric of spacetime.

It is now my mission to track down this podcast episode.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Currently reading a book written by one of the forum members @JScott
ecfd6600-15eb-4259-b17e-779b08caf4d9_1.ede3dc78582e04986798b7d70b477601.jpeg

I am thoroughly impressed. In my quest for learning, I had decided to read something totally out of my toybox of what I currently do. With that in mind, this book has held my interest.
I have an extremely hard time finishing a hard copy of any book so I normally just listen to audible played at 180x. But I've been reading this nightly and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Highly recommended.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
51B2dMwPJ5L._SY346_.jpg

Fantastic book, not as long as I would've liked but rich in the subjects it covered; I was very pleased to find out that my normal thinking already aligned with the bayesian probabilities and constant building and re-adjusting of mental models and situations.

41wkGWTxo7L.jpg

Setting 10x(stretch) goals and fighting like the devil to the point of social isolation is something I can get behind, Thing is, his massive marketing and classes for wanterpreneurs empire smells like a classic unscripted exploiting scripted deal, but I know a few people that say he does deliver honest value in the end.

Reading now
Switch (A lighter version of thinking fast and slow)
Jordan Peterson's 12 rules for life (Why not)

Why am I reading so much?
I have Value to provide, and it's definitely not with my current soul-atomizing gig.

Last edited:

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
Currently reading "What rich people know and desperately want to keep a secret" by Brian Sher.
Amazing book!.

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Psycho-cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz

It's about changing your inner self and all that good stuff.

Bitz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 17, 2019
New York, New York
Two Other Great Reads:

• The Million-Dollar, One-Person Business: Make Great Money. Work the Way You Like. Have the Life You Want by Elaine Pofeldt

• The Lean StartUp by Eric Reis

Currently reading....

The One Thing by Gary Keller

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
Finished reading Unscripted for the 2nd time last week. A lot of things I did not notice on the 1st read

Currently: The Rational Male by Rollo Tomassi. Not a business book but I already love it so far. Good book on intergender dynamics

Next: Purple Cow by Seth Godin. I've heard nothing but great things about this book from various people so I'm excited to get into this one.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
41jq-ouUBkL._SX342_.jpg

Interesting read, I can see how it would've been ground-breaking back in 2010.
The book is made redundant if you've listened to any entrepreneur podcast after 2011, however.

51F-YxKLHfL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I want the time given to this book back. Good for the author that he did his deal after getting fired from his last job; but there's a lot of self-congratulatory back-slapping and outright speculation.
The bits on networking were very interesting though, and I'll need to remember to try them out sometime.

GUEST_d5f5dde6-c250-4d8d-85a2-e4bf355715e0

Intellectual brain food to help me mull over why I need to keep fighting myself to be the best I can be on this earth no matter what feedback I get

61GvSbrjdGL._SX342_.jpg

Another one for fun; First encountered the memory palace technique with Joshua Foer's "Moonwalking with einstien" which I wrote off, but coming back to it through this book is motivating me to put forth the effort to fully engage with the technique.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Currently reading "What rich people know and desperately want to keep a secret" by Brian Sher.
Amazing book!.
Sounds like it has a similar theme to that for TFLF and UNSCRIPTED .

Any pointers the book has that the Fastlane duo don't?

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Just wondering if you guys take some time between books to reflect and process what you have just read? Or you just move to the next book on your list?
Yes, I do!

That's why I pick my books very seriously, and avoid certain topics that have a bad reputation for giving me shit, like self-development and personal finance.

I'm at the stage where the next book I read must hit my problems directly, so definitely the reflection process is needed to give me the nuggets.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have a few balls bouncing...

The Road To Serfdom. FA Hayek.

Bad Blood Secrets and Lies of a Silicon Valley Startup. Carreyrou

The Reason for God; belief in the age of skepticism. Timothy Keller

All three of these are fascinating and are making me smarter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.