The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
Tools of Titans, i'm half way thought the book and i'm not sure if I should finish it. I've read many books this year but i still can't implement most of what i learned, now i'm rethinking which books i should read
Great choice, and I as well really think Tools of Titans is more of a big catalog for some good advise, instead of a book you read all at once. There is just so much to learn from it, but no one could possibly implement everything in it, there are just to many different circumstances. If you are not clear where to go from here it is probably better to define a topic you want to improve, and seek specific texts regarding it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Tools of Titans, i'm half way thought the book and i'm not sure if I should finish it. I've read many books this year but i still can't implement most of what i learned, now i'm rethinking which books i should read
Yeah, if you find yourself reading a lot of books, but not implementing what you've learned, you have a case of "action faking," as MJ puts it. Instead, read one book several times, until you develop the habit of implementation.

I'm not criticizing you at all. I'm an info junkie myself and have fallen into this trap many times.

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
Yeah, if you find yourself reading a lot of books, but not implementing what you've learned, you have a case of "action faking," as MJ puts it. Instead, read one book several times, until you develop the habit of implementation.

I'm not criticizing you at all. I'm an info junkie myself and have fallen into this trap many times.
Exactly this! It is too easy too just read through good stuff and think, now everything is going to change...no it won't. It will change only if you do.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Over the last few weeks I've read;

Align & Attract by Kerry Rowett,

Third Circle Theory by Pejman Ghadimi.

And I've just started reading;

Mutiny on the Bounty by Peter Fitzsimmons

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Right now I'm reading:
51DEjZirsXL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Guy has truly lived the rags to riches and Drugs, Sex and Rock n Roll life. A major motif in the book so far is how much his relationships have impacted him. He's had quite a few romantic relationships but they've all have had a significant impact on his life. Will come back to write a full review.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJj5-lubeM

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
Just finished "The replaceable founder" This book is awesome, so much good content in a small package, and includes links for updates on what SAAS programs he uses. Highly recommend.

twj97

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Oct 6, 2016
Tribe of Mentors by Tim Ferris
Love the layout of the book and the concept behind it.
You get different perspectives from some many great people, fantastic read

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong

This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.

The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.

Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.

Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .

Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,

By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman

Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant

Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager

Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.
What are you reading?

I'm currently finishing reading Unscripted .

When I am at the gym I am listening to Cashvertising - 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make Big Money Selling Anything to Anyone - by Drew Eric Whitman
I am about to launch a Test Landing Page and really wanted to learn about advertising and copy.

I already have Cant' Hurt Me - by David Goggins on my desk to read next.

Part of my Goals for 2019 is to read 2 books a month. I love to read and being a dad to a 5 year old, owning a business and creating another one left no time for reading.

I am getting back into it and loving it.

However I am new to audiobooks. I am more of a visual learner and the audiobooks are a little harder for me to retain the info. But I like how I can save a clip and write notes about it and listen later.

Shaka!

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
I want to get my hands on a copy of Eugene Schwartz’s breakthrough advertising, but it’s ridiculously expensive. eBay has a copy for $414. Hard to justify.

Andrew W

Be a Provider.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 12, 2018
Currently Reading:
The Lazy Man's Way to Riches - Joe Karbo | Courtesy of the Gary Halbert Challenge
Unscripted - MJ DeMarco | Needs no introduction :)

Finished Reading:
The War of Art | Great book, it definitely helps me to avoid procrastination and take action daily.

no_tie_anymore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 30, 2018
Germany BaWü
Just startet somthing from Robert T. Kiyosaki.
It was a gift from my brother to xmas.
Still don`t know if i will read it to the end or throw it into the garbage
It sounds like bad guru advice.

goldstein

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 31, 2017
The tipping point by Malcolm Gladwell

Very interesting book on sociological changes.

0dysseus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 23, 2018
Berlin, Germany
A curios thing happened.

I've given up on fiction in the last 7+ years, considering it useless, only reading self help and self improvement and business etc.

Was reading The Storytelling Animal, pretty good read, useful for marketing and writing etc.

It actually suggested that fiction might be as useful if not more than self improvement.

So I gave The Fountainhead a shot (mentioned in the first book). Finished it in about 10 days. To be fair though, it's a kind of book that is fiction but I would also consider it motivational and self improvement too :)

After that... man, those blog posts started writing themselves.

Will maintain a healthy mix from now on.

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
Whatever helps me solve my current algorithm, so right now:
This is such an important concept. Reading to learn how to improve your immediate needs.

As a content and copywriter, my focus has always been on sales and persuasion and storytelling, so I read those types of books more than say ... product development books.

Hooked and The Automatic Customer were both great, but useless for MY journey.

Speaking of Journeys... I can't recommend The Hero's 2 Journeys enough.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
Tomorrow I will be travelling for around 5-6 hours . Planning to read Thick face ,black heart by Chin-Ning Chu during travel . Heard a lot of good things about the book :)

PS: Re-reading TMF now :)

Last edited:

lucasb

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jun 5, 2018
Now How Champions Think, In Sport and Life BOB ROTELLA... Tremendous book with concepts all applicable to the Demarco concepts.
1.- have a burning desire to be the best
2.- Make time and energy to practice a lot every day.
3.- visualize what you want to do.
4.- have a good self-image
5.- Respect your own talent
6.- commitment, perseverance and habit.
7.- dreams, objectives and processes
8.- having a unique mind (concentrating on something obsessively is a trait of the champions)
9.- learned efficiency (tremendous chapter)
10.- The nerves and the performance process.
11.- self-evaluation (the best ones are good at this)
12.- crossing the fire (the fire returns to the harder and sharper metal, just as the failure to the pawns)
13.- hard work, smart work.

And some other things, highly recommended !.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Fanatical Prospecting audiobook. So far it's been great, not mind-blowing yet as many others have said, but a solid book so far.

However I am new to audiobooks. I am more of a visual learner and the audiobooks are a little harder for me to retain the info. But I like how I can save a clip and write notes about it and listen later.
The great things about audiobooks are you can listen to them anywhere.

I've listened to Unscripted twice now and will probably give it another listen through once I'm finished with my current one.

Sam Carpenter

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 1, 2019
Completed Elon...dude is a pile driver. Crazy drive and work ethic at the expense of even himself. Incredible mind.

After having MJ pointing his finger in my face and laying out all of my financial illiteracy...I’m about 80 pages into You Need A Budget by Jesse Mecham. I’ve grabbed a couple of courses from UDemy and read some articles on Investopedia and Investor Junkie...starting to increase my financial vocabulary. Long way to go....

Olie Sins

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 28, 2017
World Wide
The Pre-foreclosure Real Estate Handbook, Frankie Orlando. I don't know how good the book is, but I do know it is teaching me tons of things I didn't know.

Dictionary of Real Estate Terms, (Barrons). Laugh if you may, but everyone starts somewhere. Everytime I come across a term I don't know, I am looking it up on here. I am wearing the cover off it right now.
No shit, the other day I was just wondering if such a book existed (and if it didn't I would be the one to write it lol). Will definitely be ordering Dictionary of Real Estate Terms.

Olie Sins

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 28, 2017
World Wide
Swith with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive
by Harvey Mackay

This guy learned from big business types, and worked with a lot of sports club owners. A good book to see how people operate on a 8-9 figure acquisition level.
Really want to read this one!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.