The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

D

DeletedUser394

i have a fantastic idea dont have the money or the know how. if anyone on this frum has been there and is now in business can you spread sum love on it. lol

1. What does that even mean? 'ie spread sum love on it."

2. There is plenty of information on this forum. There is a search bar located near the top right corner of the page. Read up.

Any questions you have that doesn't fall into a current thread, you should start another thread ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alainn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Sep 6, 2010
I was reading a book by Trump University called Wealth-building 101 or something... There was a gem in there but most of it I had already read from somewhere else. Also, I couldn't imagine the info in there getting me rich fast enough.. but, the book does encourage you to aspire to make over a million dollars a year which I really liked.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Just a side note about reading -

My 11 yr old son is an avid reader reading 2-3 books per week. He got a Nook (B&N e-reader) for Christmas because of his passion for reading.

Over the past few years we have just gone to the library to get books for him since there is no need to buy him $10-20 books that he consumes in a matter of days or hours. But the e-reader mostly requires buying the books.

At the library yesterday we just found out that they now do digital book loans on the internet. Now you can check out books in e-book format from your computer and read it on your Nook (an other e-readers).

It was like Christmas all over again for him. He can now download library books online and read them on his Nook. You can also borrow audio books online and listen to them on your computer, Ipod, MP3, etc.

You may want to check out your local library. Just thought this may be of interest to you guys. Happy learning...

John Rogers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 29, 2010
Washington State, USA
At the library yesterday we just found out that they now do digital book loans on the internet. Now you can check out books in e-book format from your computer and read it on your Nook (an other e-readers).

You may want to check out your local library. Just thought this may be of interest to you guys. Happy learning...
Awesome tip! I'm going to have to check that out locally.

I picked up a factory refurbed nook on eBay for 100 bones, primarily for reading PDFs. MJ's book was the first I bought in actual nook format. I didn't want to wait for a bound copy to be shipped.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Just read "the Instant Millionaire"

Neat little book you can read in about an hour or two. Three simple formulas for mindset
Basically every motivational book you ever read in a 100 page fable format.

It was just the kicker to remind me of what I havent been doing.

Motivation is like bathing, I recommend you do it daily. ---Zig Ziglar.

wadeinni

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 3, 2011
Miami, Fl
A Related side note about good financial success books to read

One of my favorite books is "Think and Grow Rich".

Another good book I highly think aspiring entreprenur millionaires should read is "The Millionaire Next Door". That book really helps you understand why only 5 percent of the US population are millionaires or billionaires.

Edited: Forum policy doesn't allow new members to promote their products. Please read the forum policies and post an introduction. Members who stay awhile and contribute useful information are eventually allowed to ad siglinks. That said, all out spamming is never allowed.

Thanks and Good luck in the Fastlane! :fastlane:

Sparlin (Mod.)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Guest3722A

Currently I'm reading The Futures Game by Teweles and Jones, and I just picked up from the library The Intelligent Investor for a second time. By the toilet I've got December and January issues of Active Trader and just ordered a subscription. Imo it's an outstanding magazine for traders. I also just picked up Building a Website for Dummies

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Just finished reading Fun Inc: Why Games are 21st Centuries Most Serious Business. Paradigm shifting book about games business and why it is big part of future economy. Good read!

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Currently reading Anthony Robbins "Awaken the Giant Within". GREAT book so far.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
I don't read business (or self help) books generally because I think they are waste of time. Business books are like TV (or entertainment) for wanna-be entrepreneurs. Infact, we use that as an excuse of not doing anything productive that can or will translate to making money. The only books I read now are programming books where I can implement right away.

D

DeletedUser394

I don't read business (or self help) books generally because I think they are waste of time. Business books are like TV (or entertainment) for wanna-be entrepreneurs. Infact, we use that as an excuse of not doing anything productive that can or will translate to making money. The only books I read now are programming books where I can implement right away.

Good for you. You've already mentioned this opinion in many threads.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Disgree. We are all very different people. What may be true for you is not true for everyone. AND, just because it works for them and not for you doesn't mean they are somehow weaker or less capable. IMHO your blanket attitude is going to cost you opportunities because you are underestimating the value of doing things a different way. There certainly is a time to laser focus and a time to keep your eyes and ears open.

I usually read 2-3 books a month and have been doing so for years. I have been doing well in my business for 4 years now. I read business and professional development books to see where I may be weak or can improve. The books have exposed me to ideas and nuances I never would have thought of. Books have helped me develop discernment about what is true for me and what doesn't work for me.

Currently reading "RD Guide to Investing" for about the 5th time. It's fun to reread a highlighted book and see what was important then to yourself that is not that important now.
To each his own. Good luck.

PS: Your post does not align with your screen name. There is not much valuegiving when you slam what gives value to others.

Nicola

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 10, 2011
London, England

I am curious (genuinely - I have an Autism spectrum condition and the way "normal" people think fascinates me as it so often appears odd to me until explained)

You only read books on programming - yet you visit a forum where programming is not likely to be discussed - why do you do that?

According to the graphic under your name - you have read the Fastlane book - but it has nothing to do with programming - why did you read it?

Why did you even open a thread on a subject that you consider a waste of time? And why did you post in it?

Nicola

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ

I dissagree 100%, and although theres alot more I could say here, I think Runum summed it up pretty well. :)

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
On another note, just wrapping up Anthony Robbins book as we speak, and will be starting with "How to make Millions with your Ideas" by Dan Kennedy tomorrow (just arrived in the mail for me earlier today). :)

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
I said generally. It's okay reading books from successful people like MJ or Felix Dennis who tells it like it is. But majority of business or self help books out there are written by non successful people. And I think it is a better use of your time to read books that actually contributes directly to your progress in business. I gave programming books as an example because I am building fastlane sites.

I am curious (genuinely - I have an Autism spectrum condition and the way "normal" people think fascinates me as it so often appears odd to me until explained)

You only read books on programming - yet you visit a forum where programming is not likely to be discussed - why do you do that?

According to the graphic under your name - you have read the Fastlane book - but it has nothing to do with programming - why did you read it?

Why did you even open a thread on a subject that you consider a waste of time? And why did you post in it?

Nicola

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
You are entitled for your own opinion. I stick to mine.

P.S. Just like beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder.

Disgree. We are all very different people. What may be true for you is not true for everyone. AND, just because it works for them and not for you doesn't mean they are somehow weaker or less capable. IMHO your blanket attitude is going to cost you opportunities because you are underestimating the value of doing things a different way. There certainly is a time to laser focus and a time to keep your eyes and ears open.

I usually read 2-3 books a month and have been doing so for years. I have been doing well in my business for 4 years now. I read business and professional development books to see where I may be weak or can improve. The books have exposed me to ideas and nuances I never would have thought of. Books have helped my develop discernment about what is true for me and what doesn't work for me.

Currently reading "RD Guide to Investing" for about the 5th time. It's fun to reread a highlighted book and see what was important then to yourself that is not that important now.
To each his own. Good luck.

PS: Your post does not align with your screen name. There is not much valuegiving when you slam what gives value to others.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
You are entitled for your own opinion. I stick to mine.

P.S. Just like beauty, value is in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you for allowing me my opinion. The members of the forum generally decide value. Would you like to compare statistics?

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I finished Rich Dad Poor Dad. (Quick read)

I am now about 100 pages into The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen R. Covey

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Hey Runum - Was it you that mentioned you recently read "Purple Cows"? If so, what was your take on it? Thx.

Oh, and as far as current book I'm reading: The Good Book :)
I'm learning that I have much learning to do. And also that it's worthless to learn something if you're not *doing* something with what you've learned.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hey Runum - Was it you that mentioned you recently read "Purple Cows"? If so, what was your take on it? Thx.

Oh, and as far as current book I'm reading: The Good Book :)
I'm learning that I have much learning to do. And also that it's worthless to learn something if you're not *doing* something with what you've learned.

Purple Cow is a small, effective marketing book by Seth Gpdin. He is basically saying that you are going to have to figure out a way to separate your business from the herd. He offers quite a few examples of creative marketing. The book is a primer to get the business owner to think differently about marketing rather than TV, radio, and newspaper ads. It was a quick read and I thought it was good.

Newspapers around here charge $100/wk for a 2 line classified ad to fill my rental vacancies. If the unit is vacant 2 months it can cost me $800 to fill it. I have used a lot of creative ideas and have been lucky enough not to have had to pay for one ad in 4 years. Creative marketing works.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
On another note, just wrapping up Anthony Robbins book as we speak, and will be starting with "How to make Millions with your Ideas" by Dan Kennedy tomorrow (just arrived in the mail for me earlier today). :)

Update: Just finished "The E-Myth Revisited" by Michael Gerber, which was absolutely fantastic. I actually bought this one on Audio CD (8-hours of quality listening across 7 CD's), as one of my New Years resolutions was to stop wasting so much time while commuting. So, since I cant get around the part of HAVING to commute right now while Im still working a "JOB", what can one do? The answer, LEARN while Im driving (beats the hell out of wasting time listening to CD's or the radio, and I have found it actually motivates me to take action and get to work when I get home!). :) I really enjoyed this one and I thank MJ for his reccomendation. I remember him mentioning this one to me YEARS ago and I only just got around to it. I wish I'd bought it sooner.

Also, only about 50 pages left in the book I mentioned above "How to Make Millions with your Ideas" by Dan Kenedy. This book has been absolutely FANTASTIC so far, and has some great chapters in it about breaking your product or services into the market (via catalogs, infomercials, direct mail, local businesses, etc.). Also has 50 "mini" entrepreneur success stories in it, which have been truly inspiring and very good food for thought when youre in (or TRYING to GET in) ACTION mode!

The year is off to a good start!!! :)

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Just finished "The Dip" by Seth Godin.

About halfway through "Tribes" by Seth Godin.

Also, 3/4 of the way through MJ's book.

After that, I'll start "Purple Cow" by Seth Godin. In my experience, these are the books that help me the most. I'm a huge Seth Godin fan.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.