The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The books I've read recently that have blown my mind (and have ACTUALLY HELPED me level up):

1. The Great Libertarian Offer (by Harry Browne) - never heard of dude before and wish I had, earlier. Would vote for him in a heartbeat. Simply read the description here and let me know if it doesn't, at least make you curious what he's storing up for you inside.

Click here to read the description of the book

I never knew what a Libertarian was, what their values were or why I should even consider their party. That's all changed. I'm a fan. Love Harry Browne.

2. The Secret of Selling Anything (by Harry Browne) - This was the first book I bought from dude. He got it. He was a master sales guy, a master at sales psychology and knew how to write copy. I'd recommend incorporating this book into whatever your sales training if nothing more than filling in basic blanks that so many other trainings just plain miss.

It's gold and coupled with the next book on my list, you will be a unstoppable and very dangerous sale force to compete against.

Click Here to check out the description

3. No: The Only Negotiation System You Need For Work and Home (by Jim Camp) - Frequently referred to as one of the world's most feared negotiators (he passed in 2015), I MUST admit, this book has become my negotiating bible and I use principles to help me craft my own high ticket proposals that RARELY fail (usually if they do it's because I got impatient and tried to cut corners somewhere).

This is MUST read reading that I would recommend to someone who's paid me to coach them and, sadly, not enough people know about this amaze balls book.

The other thing to note about this book is it's NOT available on Kindle, which takes it's value up a notch due to it's exclusivity and, quite possibly, it's rarity.

If you can find it...get it.

Worth 1000X whatever the current price tag is.

4. Tools of Titans (by Tim Ferriss) - The book is basically a compendium and summary of past folks Tim has had on his podcasts and the wonderful lessons they've had to impart.

You can skip the book and just listen to the podcast and read his blog to get the same content, but the book is more of a convenience than anything and the wonderful insights you get from each of the contributors (who've all made amazing accomplishments throughout their lives) is well worth the read.

Inspirational, insightful and counter-intuitively thought provoking.

Recommend.

5. The 365 Stoic (by Ryan Holiday) - If you've never read anything about stoic philosophy, this is an excellent intro into the subject matter.

It's all about how to live an even keel life and how to maintain your emotional levels no matter the situation.

Dealing with life as it happens and keeping your emotions in check.

The way it's written is brilliant...read one chapter (about 2 pages long) each day. Get a little lesson, a little perspective and maybe a helpful lesson that could actually help you deal with your own personal adversity, no matter how big or small.

It's helped me deal with my own feelings a great deal.

6. Value Based Fees (by Alan Weiss) - Good lord...why does anyone charge for anything any other way?

Charging by the hour is actually a conflict of interest (if you ask me). If the service provider is good and can do a job quickly, they penalize themselves. If they suck, the client gets penalized and pays more for something that someone else could have handled sooner?

It's just not smart.

It also helps folks get a handle on how to evaluate and anchor value in the world of your prospect so that you can comfortably and confidently ask whatever you think you're worth for whatever it is you offer.

Must have for service providers, coaches, consultants, and anyone that is trying to understand how to reframe or at least better articulate value (MJ talks about skews, etc).

Game changer.

7. Building A Story Brand

---Oops...I gotta run so will finish this later.

Hope you dig so far and would love to know your thoughts about these recommendations, even if you dislike.
You are costing me MONEY man!

Every one of your reviews is solid. These are the books I seek out. Based on your excellent reviews, I am now forced to buy every one of them!

Keep up the good work. You should really be a professional reviewer - no fluff, hard hitting, and precise. If your newly honed sales skills are anywhere near your reviewing skills, I'm staying OUT of your way bro!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Bearcorp

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

ApparentHorizon

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
:thumbsup:

This don't mean jack, and serves only to advance a narrative.

Of course sales where up. There was only a billion dollars in FREE PR (notwithstanding the type of PR) ongoing at that moment.

The real test is how sales trend over time. And I'm guessing it will be very poor.

The disingenuous of this article is like me advertising my sales were up 40% this week over the same week last year (but I neglect to confess that I emailed my entire membership list an enticement to buy on that day).

Duh, of course sales went up.
It does mean something if it's in spite of a "controversy." (However manufactured)

Nike knew what they were doing from the get go.

Enrage a few people, half of which don't even buy their merch. Let them mob on social media.

Then the actual fans of Kaep and the brand would rally behind them

Sure there may be some collateral damage, but the overall sentiment is positive.

upload_2018-9-10_20-56-55.png

jarvisdiego

Contributor
Nov 16, 2016
I just finished listening to
- The Female Brain

I am currently listening to:
- Unscripted

Next on my list:
- Wolf of Wall Street
- Home Deus
- Evolution of Desire
- 80/20 Sales and Marketing

GG!

El Príncipe

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 1, 2018
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Just finished How To Get Rich by Felix Dennis, British media mogul, close to billionaire, recently deceased. Very interesting. More about the mentality behind getting rich than a practical "how to". Funnily enough he warns against getting rich many times throughout the book.

Very insightful read.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
It does mean something if it's in spite of a "controversy." (However manufactured)

Nike knew what they were doing from the get go.

Enrage a few people, half of which don't even buy their merch. Let them mob on social media.

Then the actual fans of Kaep and the brand would rally behind them

Sure there may be some collateral damage, but the overall sentiment is positive.

View attachment 21503
That chart is in response to the Nike Controversy? Where did you find that?

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Recently read Essentialism - all about cutting out the clutter and focusing only on those things that fit your vision and move the needle.

I'll be coming back to this book regularly. Highly recommend.

I’m interested in this.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
"Unscripted" by some dude named MJ Demarco
Heard of it.
Just finished How To Get Rich by Felix Dennis, British media mogul, close to billionaire, recently deceased. Very interesting. More about the mentality behind getting rich than a practical "how to". Funnily enough he warns against getting rich many times throughout the book.

Very insightful read.
Loved that one. Very fun read.

Arun Siva

aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
currently reading the norwegian to english dictionary

and

re-reading Unscripted again for the third time. Just to embed it in my damn subconscious.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal

Incredible so far!

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I am reading Kapil Gupta's 3 books. I've read 1 of them, Direct Truth, and am half way through Atmamun.

It's VERY different than everything else out there. I highly recommend checking out his website
Siddha Performance - The Truth

If you like his Discourses, that's basically what his books are.

I'm also half way through Ryan Holiday's book Conspiracy, but it really hasn't kept my attention. I have Donald Miller's book 'Building a Story Brand' and 'The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature' on the shelf to read next.

mattierocks

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Nov 11, 2014
I’m on my 3rd read of The Millionaire Fastlane. Every time, I wonder why I don’t just read it at the beginning of every year. Trying to figure out what’s next though.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Dotcom Secrets by Russell Brunson.

stmorand

New Contributor
Jun 6, 2017
Metz, France
There’s a lot to be learned about business from Ayn Rand. She’s a big time libertarian which is roughly in line with the views of this forum.

(Some people might deny that, but that’s definitely true)

And from what I understand Bioshock was a critique of Atlas Shrugged. More so painting a caricature of it rather than something the original author would agree with.
For some reasons, I didn't see your answers, sorry for the delay.

I don't know much about Bioshock but I read there are several books somehow answering to "Atlas Shrugged". In France, the book known as the french translation of "Atlas Shrugged" is actually the translation of another book called "The strike". This confusion is part of what gave me the will to read this book!

Anyway, I didn't finish it but it is still part of my morning readings

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Just finished reading Kevin O Leary's "Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women, and Money: 50 Common Money Mistakes and How to Fix Them".

Overall decent book. The book is all about saving and scrimping, and Kevin discourages you from buying certain things like cars. He also talks about whether one should waste the $ to go college, and how you should invest only in stocks that pay you a dividend monthly, how to avoid gold diggers, teaching kids the importance of saving money, and overall, do not spend on unnecessary crap, and a big section on not buying things on credit because the interest will kill you over time (ie. if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Just don't buy on credit)

It also has a section which runs along the same tune as one part in Unscripted, which is do not spend more just because you're making more (ie: making $4 million a year and blowing $3 million on trash just because "you can").
He also talks about why one should not mix $ with emotions.

From the book, I can see that Kevin is a scrooge, miser and penny-pincher, but here's the thing : I love his beliefs towards money and I aspire to scrimp like him. To be the Ultimate Miser.
The book complements Unscripted very well : scrimp and save, then funnel all the $ to your business to make even more money, then scrimp and save more, repeat, and occasionally pamper yourself to something you like once in a while.

Currently reading The Luxury Strategy after reading about it in the Luxury thread here.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Ultimate Sales Machine

Enjoying it so far!

The emphasis seems to be an expecting the unexpected and so that you (and all of your employees) have systems in place to handle any selling or customer service situation.

Will update once I am finished.

BrunoRastablasta

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 20, 2018
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Currently at Unscripted.

Btw, do you guys have any systems for readings books or any major obstacles when it comes to reading (like no time for it, the book gets boring, can't read daily etc.)

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Currently at Unscripted.

Btw, do you guys have any systems for readings books or any major obstacles when it comes to reading (like no time for it, the book gets boring, can't read daily etc.)
I posted this a while ago, which I think you’ll find helpful.

How to read 1-2 full books per day. No, seriously.

I probably should have totaled it differently because while you could read 1-2 books a day with the method it’s really really unlikely. More like 3 per week depending on how much time you have.

I’ve settled on an app called Voice Dream Reader in which you load your text and the app converts it to audio and reads it.

BrunoRastablasta

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 20, 2018
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I posted this a while ago, which I think you’ll find helpful.

How to read 1-2 full books per day. No, seriously.

I probably should have totaled it differently because while you could read 1-2 books a day with the method it’s really really unlikely. More like 3 per week depending on how much time you have.

I’ve settled on an app called Voice Dream Reader in which you load your text and the app converts it to audio and reads it.
Tried audio and even video format books once (guy narrating while I see him on Youtube) - just doesn't work for me.

So I am back to original reading (like sit down and read :p ). So really curious what kind of problems people have with this because I have a system for reading which I use and it helped me read 47 books in a year by reading only 20 pages a day.

Thinking of monetizing this... :)

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Tried audio and even video format books once (guy narrating while I see him on Youtube) - just doesn't work for me.

So I am back to original reading (like sit down and read :p ). So really curious what kind of problems people have with this because I have a system for reading which I use and it helped me read 47 books in a year by reading only 20 pages a day.

Thinking of monetizing this... :)
Honestly, if a book is boring me, i just put it down. A boring book is my unconscious mind telling me ‘this info isn’t useful to you'

Aldous Acker

New Contributor
Sep 13, 2018
I am at present perusing "Think and Grow Rich. By Napoleon Hill.This book spur me how to gain cash and wind up rich.

SRathwell

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 26, 2017
Ontario Canada
I am currently reading (listening) to Quiet by Susan Cain.

This book is an eye opener for me. I always knew that I was an introvert but always thought of it as something was wrong with me. This book has changed my outlook on introversion, now I see that it is normal and can even an advantageous in many critical situations.

The book teaches how to be effective as introvert in a world that is dominated by extroverts. I recommend this book for everyone, but especially for someone who thinks they are an introvert and want to learn how to leverage it in business and in life.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom