The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
Beating the Street by Peter Lynch

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
T

TheGreatBear

The Age of Turbulence
Almost done listening to it... VERY VERY VERY HIGHLY recommended :D.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Currently reading the world is flat by Thomas L Friedman.

The World is Flat is a great read. Provides a good outlook on the world today and future.

I am reading the Intelligent Investor.

Tom

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I have read these:
Coach Yourself to Success Talane Meander
Rich Dad/Poor Dad Robert Kiyosaki
Think and Grow Rich Napoleon Hill
Cracking the Millionaire Code Mark Victor Hansen/Robert G. Allen
7 Habit of Highly Effective People
How to Get Rich Donald Trump
The Warren Buffet Way Robert G. Hagstrom, JR.
Cashflow Quadrant Robert Kiyosaki
Guide to Investing Robert Kiyosaki
Success Stories Robert Kiyosaki
The ABC’s of Real Estate Investing Ken McElroy
The Law of Attraction Esther & Jerry Hicks
How to Get Started in Real Estate Investing Robert Irwin
Tips & Tricks When Mortgage Hunting Robert Irwin
Tips & Tricks When Negotiating Real Estate Robert Irwin
Every Landlords Tax Deduction Guide Stephen Fishman
Home Inspection Handbook John E. Traister
The Complete Landlording Handbook Socartes.com
Buying Real Estate Foreclosures Melissa S. Kollen-Rice
The Pre-Foreclosure Property Investor’s Kit Thomas J. Lucier
Think Big and Kick a$$ Donald Trump

Currently focusing on these two:
How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings Vollucci
The Complete Guide to Buying & Selling Apartment Buildings Steve Berges

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Parenting the Hurt Child (we're in the middle of the adoption process)

Poudda, just saw this. I'm guessing your child is older? We adopted our son just after he turned 14. It's harder with an older child in the beginning, but can be so amazingly rewarding. And, you know, you never outgrow the need and desire for a family.

We also relied on "Parenting with Love and Logic", and especially liked "Parenting Your Teen With Love and Logic."

Best of luck. Please keep us posted.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
We also relied on "Parenting with Love and Logic", and especially liked "Parenting Your Teen With Love and Logic."

Excellent Excellent Excellent book for parents. Every parent should read this - and refer to it often.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I read an article in the local newspaper about the book Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen, and felt it was the best book for me right now. The feedback at Amazon was positive, so I went ahead and ordered a used copy for $4 (+ SAH --- can't beat the price!). The book itself is supposed to help people who have too many things going on and need to better prioritize their life. Right now, I feel I have 100+ ideas, but can't seem to find the time to execute any of them. Hopefully, this book will get me over the hump so that I can make better use of ALL my time.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I bought a book called Stop Procrastination Now! a couple months ago, but I haven't read it yet.
:rofl:

LOL

I'm reading "The ABC's or Real Estate Investing" from the Rich Dad series.

I just finished "The One Minute Millionaire" and "Why We Want You To Be Rich" last week.
Let me know how you like it. I read it last year, and that's what really got me interested in apartment investing. I thought it was a very good read, but I don't have much to compare it to.

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta

Best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Diane, Thanks for the reference to these books. My wife has heard good things about them though adoption forums.

Update on the adoption is that the service put it on hold in November because my wife and I are expecting child #2 this coming April.

The social workers had just found a 10 year old child for us at the same time we told them. Then the social workers said, "no way are we putting a child in your home until the newborn is at least a year old." They had several excuses as to why it wasn't a good idea.

Needless to say, we were not happy at all about it. We asked them to schedule us some time to state our case (as we had prepared well thought out counter-points for every one of their excuses), but it never happened.

Now we have to wait until after April 2009 to begin the process again (we may be able to begin the process sooner so that we can have a child placed in our home soon after April 2009).

Sometimes I wish we never told them, as Michelle only really started showing in late December.

I do have to say, it was very strange when the process was cancelled. I felt as if I had lost my best friend, but it also showed me how strongly I really feel about adopting.

unhijack thread:

Recently finished: Real Estate Investing in Canada by Don R. Campbell - very good book that puts systems in place for investing in SFH's - recommend to my American Friends - only some (wish there was more) of the research references are Canadian, the systems can be applied in the US.

Currently reading: The 4 Hour Work Week - as soon as I find out who recommended this, I'm going to give them rep! It's a fantastic book and has given me even more ideas. Just need to act!!!!!

On Hold: How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings. I really like this book, but it's a tough read. Put on hold to read the above two books. I'll finish it next and then that's it until my business plan is done. I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for the past two months and I've got to get out of it.

Cheers!

Dave

Hostile

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Feb 3, 2008
I just read a book last night called a million bucks by 30 written by Alan Corey. Its an autobiography. I Couldnt put it down. I recommend it. http://www.alancorey.com/

jimculler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 14, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
Swith with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive
by Harvey Mackay

This guy learned from big business types, and worked with a lot of sports club owners. A good book to see how people operate on a 8-9 figure acquisition level.

rzach41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 23, 2007
I am currently reading two books: The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and 3 Steps to Yes by Gene Bedell. It is my second time reading The Millionaire Real Estate Investor. 3 Steps to Yes is all about getting what you want out of people without offending them. It's quite interesting, even though I'm only a few chapters into it

On a side note, I really need to reread all the books I have, because you catch things that you didn't pick up on the first time through.

On a second side note, has anybody read "How I turned $1,000 into Five Million in Real Estate" by William Nickerson? This book is #1 on my to-read list

On a third side note... just kidding!

Last edited:

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Do you guys read one book at a time or try and read many different ones? Why do you do it the way you do?

(I'm looking for an efficient way to get my reading down. I've read about 60% of 100s of books)

-Thanks,
"The Artist formerly known as SeanS"

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
I am not reading anything. The closest I came was listening to the audiobook version of the 4 hour work week a little while ago, and I am writing my 2008 plan (slightly delayed, but still no problem :)

Daniel.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Swith with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive
by Harvey Mackay

Just re-read this on the weekend.
Wonderful book, jammed full of advice
and some great history too (older book).

Yesterday I read The Bridal Quest by Candace Camp.
A romance novel for my keeper shelf.

Today I'm reading a booklet on changes in personal taxes
(ramping up for tax season,
first volunteer session tomorrow).

As a reward for getting through my first tax Saturday,
I have The MavHERick Mind by Liz Pabon.
That looks like a great little read.

Dejan M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 9, 2008
Slovenia, Europe
Go to How to Read a Book. It's not as elementary as the title sounds, and it combines advanced speed/comprehension techniques. I picked this up when enrolling in the PMBA.
Definitely a great article, I´m now reading the books like this and I must say it´s easier, faster and I actually remember more as I´m constantly writing. :thumbsup:

Otherwise I´m finishing Blue Ocean Strategy. Good book.

CMK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Mar 5, 2008
Atlas Shrugged

I am currently reading this and it has re-affirmed a lot of thoughts i had that i wasn't really aware of. If you like Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead is pretty amazing as well!

Last edited:

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
I am currently reading this and it has re-affirmed a lot of thoughts i had that i wasn't really aware of. If you like Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead is pretty amazing as well!

The fountainhead is next in my que of fun reading...:)

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
In the last month or so I read -

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefèvre
Trading for a Living by Alexander Elder
Trend Following by Michael W. Covel
How I Trade for a Living by Gary Smith
The Little Book That Beats the Market by Joel Greenblatt

Definitely investment oriented.

Currently reading Diane Kennedy's Tax Loopholes for the Rich. Since it's tax time.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Currently re-reading both
Vollucci's How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings and
Tim Ferris's 4-hour Work Week, depending on my mood.

I don't have my next one picked out yet, although I've been thinking about the Million Bucks by Thirty. Look entertaining, and perhaps a bit inspirational as well.

I have a couple of Patterson novels on my nightstand. But I don't want to start one because I just have so much yet to get done this year, I don't want to waste the time on fiction! Maybe I'll take them on vacation with me in August.

BTW, we too love the Parenting with Love and Logic. Use its lessons daily!

imirza

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jul 29, 2007
The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferris

If you haven't read this book do what you can do to read it ASAP. This book defines Fastlane. Its probably the best book I have read in several years - and I read atleast 30 books a year.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Currently re-reading both
Vollucci's How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings and
Tim Ferris's 4-hour Work Week, depending on my mood.

I don't have my next one picked out yet, although I've been thinking about the Million Bucks by Thirty. Look entertaining, and perhaps a bit inspirational as well.

I have a couple of Patterson novels on my nightstand. But I don't want to start one because I just have so much yet to get done this year, I don't want to waste the time on fiction! Maybe I'll take them on vacation with me in August.

BTW, we too love the Parenting with Love and Logic. Use its lessons daily!

Jill, I also do the Love and Logic thing. I use it on my students quite often. Good stuff!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.