The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web design side hustle

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Hey Fastlaners,
This is a thread in which I share my progress and ask a few questions. Maybe the questions may end up becoming many.
Firstly, my interest in Web design started way back in 2016 while at university. Made regret why I didn't do ICT.
I learned some html in the 2020 lockdown. I have become familiar with a few days ago.
What's my plan?
I am broke like a mouse and I need to get my a$$ working so I decided that I should apply the advice Fox gives in his book about web design. My target is the businesses in my small city for a start. In future I may scale up to include the country and the globe. I don't about tomorrow but I today I can start.
For a start I have decided to get working on a website for my employer. My employer is a start school that has taken the education thing in my city to the next level(it charges the highest tuition and hires the best teachers and helps give the likes of us a platform to shine).
I want to be straight sincere. I have not yet approached my employer about this but I am already writing the html code for the site. I don't what fastlaners think about this.
The Principal of the school I work in is a very influential man in the business corridors of my city. He founded and chairs the association produce dealers and founded and chairs the association of school proprietors of my city. Besides, he has created a great relationship with other schools in the region and those in neighbouring regions.
I believe his connections may end up useful to me in my journey.
A few questions though
First, what is the most appropriate editor to use in Web design on an android?
Second, what suggestions may help me move and make some money?
Now, I am currently too broke to take any courses so I just learn on my phone.
When I finish writing the html code, I will learn CSS3 so that I can design the website and make it decent.
My focus however is to help this new school generate more revenue through the website so I plan to include a contact us page or function where visitors share with the school what they want to share and make any desired inquiries. This feature is meant to ignite engagement with the public and also develop a contact list of emails and phone numbers that may be easily followed through newsletters and phone calls.
I also intend to make an online application form where those who want to join as students can apply by filling in some relevant details and the school is able to save that information and follow such potential clients. This will also contribute to the contact list.
It should in the end make it possible for anyone anywhere to apply and get his or her admission letter on email.
Fastlaners, that's my current action road. Just starting out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Hey Fastlaners,
This is a thread in which I share my progress and ask a few questions. Maybe the questions may end up becoming many.
Firstly, my interest in Web design started way back in 2016 while at university. Made regret why I didn't do ICT.
I learned some html in the 2020 lockdown. I have become familiar with a few days ago.
What's my plan?
I am broke like a mouse and I need to get my a$$ working so I decided that I should apply the advice Fox gives in his book about web design. My target is the businesses in my small city for a start. In future I may scale up to include the country and the globe. I don't about tomorrow but I today I can start.
For a start I have decided to get working on a website for my employer. My employer is a start school that has taken the education thing in my city to the next level(it charges the highest tuition and hires the best teachers and helps give the likes of us a platform to shine).
I want to be straight sincere. I have not yet approached my employer about this but I am already writing the html code for the site. I don't what fastlaners think about this.
The Principal of the school I work in is a very influential man in the business corridors of my city. He founded and chairs the association produce dealers and founded and chairs the association of school proprietors of my city. Besides, he has created a great relationship with other schools in the region and those in neighbouring regions.
A few questions though
When I finish writing the html code, I will learn CSS3 so that I can design the website and make it decent.
My focus however is to help this new school generate more revenue through the website so I plan to include a contact us page or function where visitors share with the school what they want to share and make any desired inquiries. This feature is meant to ignite engagement with the public and also develop a contact list of emails and phone numbers that may be easily followed through newsletters and phone calls.
I also intend to make an online application form where those who want to join as students can apply by filling in some relevant details and the school is able to save that information and follow such potential clients. This will also contribute to the contact list.
It should in the end make it possible for anyone anywhere to apply and get his or her admission letter on email.
I will do this as I look around for other possibilities that make it probable to unscripted .

G

GuestR401x3

Hey Fastlaners,
What's my plan?
A few questions though
  • Learn WordPress first then learn copywriting and then learn HTML/CSS.
  • If you are trying to build websites on your phone it's impossible. Get a job, save money and buy a $500 laptop.
  • YouTube will teach you everything you need to know if you are willing to put the work in and filter out the gold from the crap.
  • Understand that entrepreneurship needs hard work, dedication, and a solid vision before it can at all be fastlane. The best thing you will be able to do for yourself is to learn to work hard and plan.
  • It's hard to build a business when you are broke. Think of the unnecessary times you spend money and instead save.
How to find your first client:
  • Cold call or stop in at 100 local businesses that don't have a website and you'll most likely find a few clients who are willing to pay you.
  • Build them a WordPress site (You don't need to know how to code to build a functional WordPress site).
  • Learn copywriting/marketing and sell them a monthly service (Blog posts, SEO, ads etc).
  • Repeat

Last edited by a moderator:

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Hey Fastlaners,
What's my plan?
A few questions though
"I am currently too broke to take any courses"

Find some professional who can do it and agree to work with you on a revenue sharing model.
Try to use referral and revenue sharing models in a creative way. Look how Tesla Motors did it.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
"I am currently too broke to take any courses"

Find some professional who can do it and agree to work with you on a revenue sharing model.
Try to use referral and revenue sharing models in a creative way. Look how Tesla Motors did it.
Thank you. I actually need to set down and learn how to use those suggestions. Thank you.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
  • Learn WordPress first then learn copywriting and then learn HTML/CSS.
  • If you are trying to build websites on your phone it's impossible. Get a job, save money and buy a $500 laptop.
  • YouTube will teach you everything you need to know if you are willing to put the work in and filter out the gold from the crap.
  • Understand that entrepreneurship needs hard work, dedication, and a solid vision before it can at all be fastlane. The best thing you will be able to do for yourself is to learn to work hard and plan.
  • It's hard to build a business when you are broke. Think of the unnecessary times you spend money and instead save.
How to find your first client:
  • Cold call or stop in at 100 local businesses that don't have a website and you'll most likely find a few clients who are willing to pay you.
  • Build them a WordPress site (You don't need to know how to code to build a functional WordPress site).
  • Learn copywriting/marketing and sell them a monthly service (Blog posts, SEO, ads etc).
  • Repeat
WordPress first, copywriting and marketing. I think I am skipping some useful things here. A laptop at 500USD is really possible with saving. Thank you.

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Thank you. I actually need to set down and learn how to use those suggestions. Thank you.
Here are some more suggestions (practical):

Post your offer in schools, colleges, places where unemployed skilled workers are, etc.
Statistically, 97% of people are risk averse and only 3% take a reasonable risk if it within their risk tolerance level. Therefore you have 3% chance of success.

Six degree of separation:
Everyone of us have over 100 persons on our contact list (1 level of connection). Each of those 100 also has over 100 contacts, therefore there are over 10,000 people on the second level of connection to you, etc. You can reach anyone on this planet on the 6-th level of connection. Ask people on the 1-st level to inform those whom they know about you offer.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Learn WordPress first then learn copywriting and then learn HTML/CSS.
I have been having lots of fun reading copywriting. I actually don't know a lot about business. I thank you for this recommendation. The things I am learning are really exciting and motivating. Been giving suggestions to fellas around me, two ladies who started selling stuff this week. Turns out it was helpful to them.

I come to realise I could sell a variety of things people need whether I make them myself or buy and sell. Turns out more sales can be made by sale oriented advertising. A signpost, a text message. Something that really makes people stop by and buy. I observed a number of adverts around and saw the defects in them. Even my employer has very ineffective radio adverts and a brochure that disobeys all the principles I have learnt from just two books.

I will keep learning advertising and marketing and copywriting then I will learn WordPress.

I will also begin to propose to businesses to help them design copies that sell.

I am more confident.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Hi Fastlaners
A brief one.

I have been admitted to a 12 month online 70 hour a week course in Software Engineering. The course is free and there are thousands of other students.

The course is offered by ALX, based in Kenya. It is open to all interested ones from Africa. Pass mark to stay on the course is 80%+.

I have taken the course because I expect to learn skills I may need for my Fastlane road trip. Most important, I believe I will gain experience in long working hours at problem solving since the course is largely self taught and task based.

The large number of attendees implies the possibility of acquiring some very valuable networks across the continent. I think this is one of the greatest benefits.

Besides, I keep my day job. I spare time to write my stories and poems.

Anyone with a suggestion on how I may benefit more from the course is welcome.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Hi Fastlaners

Began the software engineering course on Monday. Onboarding for first two weeks.

Looking forward to more

We will cover C, Python, C++, and others for web development.

I will update.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Began the software engineering course on Monday. Onboarding for first two weeks.
I dropped out of this course. I can't keep learning and not making. The work was too much.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Everyone of us have over 100 persons on our contact list (1 level of connection). Each of those 100 also has over 100 contacts, therefore there are over 10,000 people on the second level of connection to you, etc. You can reach anyone on this planet on the 6-th level of connection. Ask people on the 1-st level to inform those whom they know about you offer.
Ask for referrals. Ask them to forward to someone. Ask them to ask their friends to forward to someone.

WhatsApp is another great place to do this. Will put it to use, elsewhere, not in web design.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
Hi Fastlaners

Looking forward to more

We will cover C, Python, C++, and others for web development.

I will update.
There's no reason to learn C or C++ for web development. They are optimal for large software applications but it's not worth the hassle otherwise. Python is an extremely good language to know (I use it for back-end web development, AI engineering, and simple scripts). If your goal is to build simple websites for quick, easy money then I would second the recommendation to learn WordPress or something similar. However, if you want to move toward building larger dynamic websites, you will definitely have to start down the path of html, css, javascript, a backend language, and databases.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.