The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web Design Journey

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Hey guys, some of you might know me here.

I decided to create a progress thread to keep myself productive as I procrastinate a lot.

I haven't been able to get a web design client in a long time. Told a lot of people what I do. I did get some projects but it was low pay and not something I could use for my portfolio. The sites aren't even active anymore.

My current goal is to make $20,000 in the next 6 months. I know it may sound unrealistic but as I aim high, I can fall in that range.

Any advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022

I decided to create a progress thread to keep myself productive as I procrastinate a lot.

I haven't been able to get a web design client in a long time. Told a lot of people what I do. I did get some projects but it was low pay and not something I could use for my portfolio. The sites aren't even active anymore.

My current goal is to make $20,000 in the next 6 months. I know it may sound unrealistic but as I aim high, I can fall in that range.

Good luck, bro I hope you make even more than $20,000

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
I'm thinking of trying out 4 things to get web design clients
  • Cold calling
  • Cold emailing
  • Linkedin
  • Twitter
I have been following @Kung Fu Steve advice on Cold calling.

Never realise how time consuming it can be. I'm even attending university and don't have much personal space to cold call properly.

I have been thinking if I should try and build relationships on LinkedIn and twitter as @Andy Black said but don't know if I would be able to meet my goal that way.

Carbon45

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 29, 2023

I'm also trying to get some money by making websites rn, do you have a portfolio yet?

Carbon45

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 29, 2023
I don't have one. I don't have any past works to show.
I have a feeling it'll be easier to get clients if you have some sort of past work to show off, maybe you could make some mock websites or something. Although i'm really not an expert at this just heard some other people suggest it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm thinking of trying out 4 things to get web design clients
  • Cold calling
  • Cold emailing
  • Linkedin
  • Twitter
I have been following @Kung Fu Steve advice on Cold calling.

Never realise how time consuming it can be. I'm even attending university and don't have much personal space to cold call properly.

I have been thinking if I should try and build relationships on LinkedIn and twitter as @Andy Black said but don't know if I would be able to meet my goal that way.
That's a lot of things to try. By all means have a go at each, but cinsider eventually focusing on one and get really good at it.

@Fox will have advice specifically for web designers in in his threads and program.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
I have a feeling it'll be easier to get clients if you have some sort of past work to show off, maybe you could make some mock websites or something. Although i'm really not an expert at this just heard some other people suggest it.
Well, I have been planning to code some mockups. Getting clients has been difficult.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well, I have been planning to code some mockups. Getting clients has been difficult.
Focus on getting clients for your mockups?

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
That's a lot of things to try. By all means have a go at each, but try to eventually focus on one and get really good at it.

@Fox will have advice specifically for web designers in in his threads and program.
I actually want to test them out and see which one will be better to stick with.

Cold calling and emailing is time consuming and it doesn't help as I'm in university right now.

Linkedin and twitter seems like it will take a while to start getting clients so I'm not sure if I will be able to hit my goal.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I meant getting clients to add to my portfolio
What I meant was:

If you're going to do mockups for free to show prospects then why not find businesses you can do a free or cheap website for in exchange for the testimonial and being able to use it as a case study?

Also, have a look at online communities such as Facebook groups of business owners or Facebook groups of people using paid tools.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
What I meant was:

If you're going to do mockups for free to show prospects then why not find businesses you can do a free or cheap website for in exchange for the testimonial and being able to use it as a case study?

Also, have a look at online communities such as Facebook groups of business owners or Facebook groups of people using paid tools.
That's a good idea. I even wanted to ask if anyone here will need a website

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
After thinking for a while, I think LinkedIn would be the best path to take.

As I can actually cold call and email the decision maker to get clients short term and create content to get clients long term.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Hey man!

Happy to chime in here.

First off, welcome! I actually run a small 7 person marketing agency with a main focus on website design and development. We do around $30-40k/mo right now. This time last year, I was sitting at around $6k/mo.

It's going to be extremely hard to get your first client from doing anything cold. I'd approach friends and family who have businesses/startups and offer to do them for peanuts. Build out your portfolio that way.

My first site was $400 for my brother's Physio clinic, second one was free for my gym (free membership and pays me $200/mo to maintain), third was $1,000 from a person who frequented my gym. The more websites you build, the more referrals you're going to get. It's a slog but you have to trust the process.

Use your current network to build your portfolio.

A few years later and our minimum project start is around $9-10k. My brother's Physio has grown and we're now doing his third website for $5,500. It's all a process.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Hey man!

Happy to chime in here.

First off, welcome! I actually run a small 7 person marketing agency with a main focus on website design and development. We do around $30-40k/mo right now. This time last year, I was sitting at around $6k/mo.

It's going to be extremely hard to get your first client from doing anything cold. I'd approach friends and family who have businesses/startups and offer to do them for peanuts. Build out your portfolio that way.

My first site was $400 for my brother's Physio clinic, second one was free for my gym (free membership and pays me $200/mo to maintain), third was $1,000 from a person who frequented my gym. The more websites you build, the more referrals you're going to get. It's a slog but you have to trust the process.

Use your current network to build your portfolio.

A few years later and our minimum project start is around $9-10k. My brother's Physio has grown and we're now doing his third website for $5,500. It's all a process.
I did that in the past. Helped my uncle create a website but it wasn't something I could show off.

I created a website for a dental clinic. I got them from a cold call. Problem was she didn't have enough money to pay for hosting so I went for monthly hosting but she couldn't pay for it the following month.

She asked me if I could pay for it then she will repay me but I definitely couldn't do that.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm targeting roofers in the United States and Canada.
Maybe don't focus on a niche just yet? Keep engaging with business owners and follow your nose? Find out who you can get in front of, who raises their hand, who you can help, who you can't help, who you enjoy working with, etc?

I think your market/niche reveals itself over time as you keep putting one step in front of another.

Just a thought.

BlackRabbit3PL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 6, 2023
Houston & Los Angeles
Maybe don't focus on a niche just yet? Keep engaging with business owners and follow your nose? Find out who you can get in front of, who raises their hand, who you can help, who you can't help, who you enjoy working with, etc?

I think your market/niche reveals itself over time as you keep putting one step in front of another.

Just a thought.
Exactly right. Start locally and go after everyone. I say local because you can stop by so they know you are for real. Get your branding/logo together and look as pro as you can. Go on IG and start adding local businesses and send them cold DMs. But by sending out I mean like hundreds per day. In a about month You'll get maybe 8-10 hot leads and from that perhaps 2-5 paying clients. I had a digital marketing agency a while back so I know the struggle. I only moved on from that because of another opportunity, but it was paying off for a while and we were doing well with only clients within a 20 mile radius.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
www.blackrabbit3pl.com

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
www.blackrabbit3pl.com

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Start locally and go after everyone.
See that Mother Theresa quote in my signature? There's wisdom in those few words.

Start by saying Yes. Scale by saying No.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
See that Mother Theresa quote in my signature? There's wisdom in those few words.

Start by saying Yes. Scale by saying No.
I love this. My agency definitely grew when I started saying no.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Exactly right. Start locally and go after everyone. I say local because you can stop by so they know you are for real. Get your branding/logo together and look as pro as you can. Go on IG and start adding local businesses and send them cold DMs. But by sending out I mean like hundreds per day. In a about month You'll get maybe 8-10 hot leads and from that perhaps 2-5 paying clients. I had a digital marketing agency a while back so I know the struggle. I only moved on from that because of another opportunity, but it was paying off for a while and we were doing well with only clients within a 20 mile radius.
I don't know if I can target local businesses for this. Problem right now is that there's money scarcity where I'm from. Hardly anyone would be interested in a website here.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't know if I can target local businesses for this. Problem right now is that there's money scarcity where I'm from. Hardly anyone would be interested in a website here.
There's money scarcity everywhere. There's probably also people who understand the value in a website.

"Sales is a screening process."
- Blaise Brosnan

"Your job is to find out if the person in front of you sees the value in what you do, not just the cost."
- Blaise Brosnan

I'm curious. Where might people who see the value in a website hang out? Locally to you, or online.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
There's money scarcity everywhere. There's probably also people who understand the value in a website.

"Sales is a screening process."
- Blaise Brosnan

"Your job is to find out if the person in front of you sees the value in what you do, not just the cost."
- Blaise Brosnan

I'm curious. Where might people who see the value in a website hang out? Locally to you, or online.
I don't know about that. Most people in my area don't care much about those stuff and there's hardly any network meetings.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't know about that. Most people in my area don't care much about those stuff and there's hardly any network meetings.
"Most" and "Hardly" isn't "All".

It's true that local might not work. But there's always online communities.

Keep chipping away. Figuring it out is part of the journey.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
I don't have one. I don't have any past works to show.
If I were you I would be making a portfolio and developing the skill to be better at it. Then not only will you will have a portfolio to show to your clients but you will also be good enough to be able to sell websites to people.

enlightened

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 16, 2023
Hyderabad, India
There are several online platforms like fiverr, peoperperhour or upwork which can help you to get that first client you are looking for. Try them and let me know how things go. Good luck.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Hey guys, it has been sometime. I have some news.

Not long ago, I made a LinkedIn post about the importance of having a roofing website. A roofer contacted me on LinkedIn asking for sites I have done and what will be the costs.

I wasn't expected to get inbound leads so quickly. My plan was to have some content then contact roofers on LinkedIn so I wasn't prepared for this.

This could possibly be my first client in years.

Right now, I am creating some roofing websites to show him. I think it will be better to create one with his company information instead.

What do you guys think?

enlightened

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 16, 2023
Hyderabad, India
Hey guys, it has been sometime. I have some news.

Not long ago, I made a LinkedIn post about the importance of having a roofing website. A roofer contacted me on LinkedIn asking for sites I have done and what will be the costs.

I wasn't expected to get inbound leads so quickly. My plan was to have some content then contact roofers on LinkedIn so I wasn't prepared for this.

This could possibly be my first client in years.

Right now, I am creating some roofing websites to show him. I think it will be better to create one with his company information instead.

What do you guys think?
Yes adding his logo to the mock design will be a good idea, but meanwhile send him a small questionnaire asking him what designs he likes and what he doesn't, and gather some ideas on how the mock should be.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.