The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante Soft Launch of New Kids Book "Vigilant Kids"

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
vigilant-kids.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
The trade show that we are launching at in June is the BookExpo at the Javits center. Most brick and mortar buyers and librarians from across the country will be there, and we have a pretty decent sized booth at the show. I will post more on that in the progress thread. We'll also be there for a few days after the private industry trade show, when they open it up to the public for BookCon (Same company that puts on ComiCon). So we'll have two days of meeting with retail buyers, followed by two days of "selling" to consumers. Should be a great way to get the book mainstream awareness, and have a chance to engage with the public directly.

You'll love BookExpo- went the last couple years, it's a wet dream for booksellers (and New York in June isn't so bad either!)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You'll love BookExpo- went the last couple years, it's a wet dream for booksellers (and New York in June isn't so bad either!)

I don't know how many books to bring for that and bookCon ... they are expecting 25,000 people for bookCon

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
I don't know how many books to bring for that and bookCon ... they are expecting 25,000 people for bookCon

Incredible.. didn't do the BookCon so not sure how many actual transactions were getting done, just walking BookExpo was exhausting. Really well put together. Not sure if you're planning on talking w/ Ingram but I have a few contacts there so if you're having any troubles getting thru I'd be happy to help out!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have a meeting at book Expo with them

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
Just placed my order on Amazon. I am not a parent, but am curious about the book and want to help a fellow forum member. I'll post a review and some thoughts once I receive it and read.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
Follow us on Facebook as we will be posting a lot of content there as we get closer to the launch in June.

Vigilant Kids
Thanks for the link. I just shared your page on my FB wall I know a number of people in my network would like this book.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Congratz Vig!

I'm going to support you by ordering the book, even though my first child is still on his/her way (5 more months of waiting to go...). But your contribution makes it a no-brainer to order it, together with Unscripted ! If Unscripted was already being shipped to Europe, I'd have both by now! :innocent: :halo:

Btw, something off-topic but relevant. I just came across a short clip on facebook, on how to open zip-ties if you ever get cuffed in them... Shown by a kid... Maybe a relevant post for your Vigilant-business?

பார்க்க, உள்நுழையவும் அல்லது பதிவுசெய்யவும்

PS: I hope nothing is wrong with linking this?
Edit: what is happening with the link-symbols? It's just a facebook-link...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Congratz Vig!

I'm going to support you by ordering the book, even though my first child is still on his/her way (5 more months of waiting to go...). But your contribution makes it a no-brainer to order it, together with Unscripted ! If Unscripted was already being shipped to Europe, I'd have both by now! :innocent: :halo:

Btw, something off-topic but relevant. I just came across a short clip on facebook, on how to open zip-ties if you ever get cuffed in them... Shown by a kid... Maybe a relevant post for your Vigilant-business?

பார்க்க, உள்நுழையவும் அல்லது பதிவுசெய்யவும்

PS: I hope nothing is wrong with linking this?
Edit: what is happening with the link-symbols? It's just a facebook-link...

Thanks for the support! It is also nice to know that the message is landing, because we already received and posted that same video on the Vigilant Kids Faceboook Page! (Vigilant Kids)

so your message was RIGHT ON TARGET.

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Thanks for the support! It is also nice to know that the message is landing, because we already received and posted that same video on the Vigilant Kids Faceboook Page! (Vigilant Kids)

so your message was RIGHT ON TARGET.

Just found your FB-page and saw it posted already.. But hey, you got an extra like now!
Considering how this society is evolving, I can only applaud for awareness like this!
Perfect example of how giving real value, gives back way more..

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
Received the book a few days ago. I do not have any children, but I do have a military/security background. Here are my initial impressions:

Cover art (front): Simple but draws attention. The children show a confidence in them and appear friendly.
Cover art (back): Aw shit, look out, those kids are VIGILANT! The defensive poses should appear exciting to children, but sets the tone for what the books is really about and the message is clear with the stranger lurking in the corner (who is wonderfully breaking the 4th wall). The message on the back says it all. It is simple enough for kids to understand, but gets the message to the parents on why they should get this book to their children. It would create enough interest in me to open the book if I were at a bookstore.

Main Book: Artwork is wonderful. The villains do not appear stereotypical and are a good representation of one of the main points of the book. The illustrations of the children defending themselves are easy to understand without the text, and the expressions on the face are perfect representations of what a child may experience in the given situations. The sentences are simple but powerful. They are powerful because of the ease a child should have in learning them and saying them in repetition. The language is active and with the repetition, should have the affect as affirmations if this book is read and re-read. It will burn into their memories and keep them safe.

Other comments: I was expecting more controversy over the whole "not PC" bit, but maybe I have been out of the loop for awhile. Seemed just fine to me. This is definitely a book I would read and teach to my children if I had them, and I am not just saying that to be nice. When it comes to life and death situations, which child abduction may quickly turn into, there is no such thing as a fair fight and if you find yourself in one, you already are at a disadvantage. Given the age range of children would would be reading this, I think everything is the way it should be.

The book can be the start to something grand. It could be the foundation for a network of Vigilant Kids training seminars that both parents and children can attend. Could be a one day workshop that people can attend, or schools and other organizations (churches) could hire out for your company to put on to keep kids safe and "VIGILANT". Could even start a brand of clothing, training DVDs, or a television show (may be hard to do, F*ck networks, just do it from your website/youtube). I think you said earlier that action figures were on the way.

Overall I see this becoming a very huge success for you!

Congratulations, and I am looking forward to seeing how you grow with it! As long as you save one kid, it is all worth it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Received the book a few days ago. I do not have any children, but I do have a military/security background. Here are my initial impressions:

Cover art (front): Simple but draws attention. The children show a confidence in them and appear friendly.
Cover art (back): Aw shit, look out, those kids are VIGILANT! The defensive poses should appear exciting to children, but sets the tone for what the books is really about and the message is clear with the stranger lurking in the corner (who is wonderfully breaking the 4th wall). The message on the back says it all. It is simple enough for kids to understand, but gets the message to the parents on why they should get this book to their children. It would create enough interest in me to open the book if I were at a bookstore.

Main Book: Artwork is wonderful. The villains do not appear stereotypical and are a good representation of one of the main points of the book. The illustrations of the children defending themselves are easy to understand without the text, and the expressions on the face are perfect representations of what a child may experience in the given situations. The sentences are simple but powerful. They are powerful because of the ease a child should have in learning them and saying them in repetition. The language is active and with the repetition, should have the affect as affirmations if this book is read and re-read. It will burn into their memories and keep them safe.

Other comments: I was expecting more controversy over the whole "not PC" bit, but maybe I have been out of the loop for awhile. Seemed just fine to me. This is definitely a book I would read and teach to my children if I had them, and I am not just saying that to be nice. When it comes to life and death situations, which child abduction may quickly turn into, there is no such thing as a fair fight and if you find yourself in one, you already are at a disadvantage. Given the age range of children would would be reading this, I think everything is the way it should be.

The book can be the start to something grand. It could be the foundation for a network of Vigilant Kids training seminars that both parents and children can attend. Could be a one day workshop that people can attend, or schools and other organizations (churches) could hire out for your company to put on to keep kids safe and "VIGILANT". Could even start a brand of clothing, training DVDs, or a television show (may be hard to do, F*ck networks, just do it from your website/youtube). I think you said earlier that action figures were on the way.

Overall I see this becoming a very huge success for you!

Congratulations, and I am looking forward to seeing how you grow with it! As long as you save one kid, it is all worth it.

Your comments and analysis are extremely valuable to us. Thank you.

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
Your comments and analysis are extremely valuable to us. Thank you.

If there is anything else I can do for you guys other than being an evangelist to my group of friends/family, please let me know!

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
I thought I would turn to my friends and fellow forum members with a fun announcement and a request for assistance.

Over the past year, I have written a kids book called Vigilant Kids. It's an edgy/aggressive book, aimed at teaching young kids some essential survival skills to bring them home safely. A lot of it is drawn from the work and stories we have come across over several years in the personal security industry. I've talked with experts in child abduction, law enforcement, and child psychology to create a book that we know will result in keeping children safe.

17547086_1414289468641010_3688266944916377479_o.jpg

And so I turn to you. The book is going to be formally launched in June at one of the largest book fairs/trade shows in the United States (The Book Expo and then the consumer show a few days later... BookCon in New York).

We are hoping to generate some sales and positive reviews on Amazon before the book is formally available to the trade in June. We're using Amazon CreateSpace now, as well as Ingram Spark for distribution to bookstores and booksellers nationwide.

I will drop a progress thread between now and June to outline how we got this book to print, and the steps that were involved in making this happen.

I would love it if you would pick up a copy of the book on Amazon for your kids, your grandkids, or your friends and family. During this early stage, it's all about creating some social proof and setting the stage for what we hope to be a super impactful book on a national scale. I can't compensate you for a review, but know that even if you take the time to buy a copy of the book I am very appreciative. This book has been a true labor of love for me with a goal of reaching kids with a saving message. Some parents might hate it (because it is absolutely NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT) but that's OK. Even preferable. The buzz from the haters can be equally effective towards getting the message out.

If you want to grab some advance copies, search Amazon for VIGILANT KIDS. The book is $9.99 plus s/h directly from Amazon. Because the early sales channel is Amazon, I can't sign any copies now but towards Christmas we'll have some additional copies on the second printing that we can do some gift/signed copies on. Don't wait though as I need to get some buzz started now in advance of the June launch.

Thanks. You all have been a blessing to me over the years, and I hope the words of these pages might in turn bless any kids that would be fortunate enough to get a copy of this book from you.

In the upcoming progress thread, we can do an AMA on process, and I will keep you all informed on the milestones as we hit them in a quest to get the book into the hands of parents and kids across the United States. Thanks in advance for any support you lend.

- Dave
Getting a copy for my boys.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
Accidentally bought it this week. I had tossed it in what I thought was my wishlist awhile back. Apparently it was in my shopping cart instead. So this weekend, my dog escaped, got picked up by the cops, and left me on the hook for a $60 ticket. I figured it was time to get him a training collar, and since I was a little, um, unhappy over the situation I didn't pay too much attention to the check out process (note: friends don't let friends Amazon angry) and wound up ordering the book too.

I liked the book, reminded me a little of what I was taught growing up. As a parent, it kind of scared me, but I understand the necessity of it. I'll share it with my boys as they get older. I can see this book helping a lot of people.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Finally read your book.

Awesome job Vig!
The graphics are really done great. The content will help a lot of kids who'll read it in their safe beds, making the world a safer placer for them while doing so :) or making themselves better equipped for a world full of people with bad/horrible intentions.

Thanks for writing it. Looking forward to more from you. Left a review on Amazon.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
My 2-year old loved it.

Attractive pictures (looks like tv show characters), and very simple text. She wanted me to read it again and again.

I waited a month to read it to her, because she's been having nightmares and I wasn't sure how if it would play into that... however the book's constant reinforcement of "I will be safe" made the book not scary to her, and it was just actionable and matter of fact. If you do these things, you will be safe.

After a few reads, she got it. Well... most of it.

Still working on the biting, haha.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My 2-year old loved it.

Attractive pictures (looks like tv show characters), and very simple text. She wanted me to read it again and again.

I waited a month to read it to her, because she's been having nightmares and I wasn't sure how if it would play into that... however the book's constant reinforcement of "I will be safe" made the book not scary to her, and it was just actionable and matter of fact. If you do these things, you will be safe.

After a few reads, she got it. Well... most of it.

Still working on the biting, haha.

I saw your review on Amazon and before I knew it was you I had shared it with friends and family. Your video made my entire day.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I saw your review on Amazon and before I knew it was you I had shared it with friends and family. Your video made my entire day.

Yeah, I thought she did an especially good job for the camera!

Usually when I say "I'm taking a video" she clams up, and/or just wants to play with the phone.

I know from experience that Amazon video reviews help conversions like crazy... but they can be really hard to get. My advice is to "find" some upvotes for the review, so it goes to the top of your reviews as "most helpful".

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I received my copy. Really liked it.

It's brief but to the point, and the language is simple for children to understand. Illustrations are good and colorful, which children like.

I think the challenge will be in trying to explain to small kids how it's not nice to bite someone in most circumstances, but it's ok to bite someone in "certain" circumstances. (or kick, hit, etc) This book is a good way for parents to explain the difference.

Human Sex trafficking and child pedophilia are both causes I feel strongly about / know a good bit about / and support, so I'm so glad you thought of doing this.

I'd like for Navy Seal Craig Sawyer to see your book. He has developed an elite group of veterans to go after these type of sick perpetrators, and is also working on funding a documentary exposing the prevalence of trafficking and kidnapping of kids. Naturally he is receiving major pushback from "invisible sources".

Vig, it wouldn't surprise me if you ran up against someone/s who don't like what you are doing with this book because it goes against their sick agenda. More power to you.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I think the challenge will be in trying to explain to small kids how it's not nice to bite someone in most circumstances, but it's ok to bite someone in "certain" circumstances. (or kick, hit, etc) This book is a good way for parents to explain the difference.

It is a challenge, and I think after reading the book, my daughter definitely understood when to FOR SURE hit,kick,bite,scream,run away. When a bad person is trying to take you away. She will get it right, in the situation that matters the most.

Yeah, so she was hitting me a lot more in our play today. Throwing closed-fisted punches at my chest for the first time.

Maybe she'll even "accidentally" wallop a kid at school when they make her mad.

It'll be a process for us as parents to hone those instincts over time. And those mistakes will be learning opportunities.

I'd rather have her be a little rough and tumble, then Taken.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I'd rather have her be a little rough and tumble, then Taken.

Absolutely. Better to be safe than sorry.

Kudos to you for taking a few blows to the chest for the sake of practice : )

Last edited:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
It is a challenge, and I think after reading the book, my daughter definitely understood when to FOR SURE hit,kick,bite,scream,run away. When a bad person is trying to take you away. She will get it right, in the situation that matters the most.

We just told them which adults are OK to go with (Me, Mom, Grandma, Grandpa, 2 Aunts, 2 Uncles)

Anybody else tries to take them away from school, home, Grandma's, whatever...and they don't have Mom or Dad's DIRECT permission, it's a NO.

I also told them that if anyone say's "your Mom/Dad said it was OK to go with me" they are LYING and to RUN AWAY IMMEDIATELY without talking to them further.

And for fights at school. I've told both my kids that they never start a fight, but they are always welcome to finish it. My oldest has done it too. Knocked a girl on her butt after the girl shoved her into a corner and slapped her face. School didn't like that at all haha

But, she hasn't been bullied since.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.