The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Video Marketing Sucks! ... Except When It Doesn't

Marketing, social media, advertising

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Hey guys,

As promised me and Dennis Duty created a case study for you.

See How To Drive Thousands Of Visitors To Your Site ... Video Marketing at it's finest ;)

[video=youtube;fmKVQubP2Qg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmKVQubP2Qg[/video]

Me and Dennis will answer any questions you may have in the comments.

P.S. This case study is for the Fastlane members only.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
lol... that may have worked better if I hadn't linked to you in the thread....

Great job! You and Dennis are two talented and good looking guys.

I don't know who did the voice over in the garcinia video, but damn! Kid's got a future.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Awesome, great work, slightly OT maybe but what's the legality of using them Dr. Oz clips in the video out of interest, also, how did you come up with that pop-up sales copy, is it affiliate or did you do some research yourselves?

Trying to learn everything I can about marketing :D

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Thx,

They are obviously copyright videos but if you look around YouTube, you see ppl with those videos directly on there. Basically they will make you confirm you have copyright material (if you do they leave it there - for YouTube). If you host it somewhere else, they have a hard time tracking it and if anything they will just tell you to take it down. They honestly have better things to do though and it's not really a problem.

By pop-up sales copy do you mean the pop-up that reads "get your free bottle". If so that's a plugin I have for wordpress.

If you meant the final landing page, it's just a standard affiliate offer.

We did do some research on the topic before creating this campaign. This made it easier for us to portray the information and set-up the videos the way we did.

Hope that answers your questions, let me know if anything is still foggy.

Awesome, great work, slightly OT maybe but what's the legality of using them Dr. Oz clips in the video out of interest, also, how did you come up with that pop-up sales copy, is it affiliate or did you do some research yourselves?

Trying to learn everything I can about marketing :D

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
No that answers everything, thanks man.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Thx,

They are obviously copyright videos but if you look around YouTube, you see ppl with those videos directly on there. Basically they will make you confirm you have copyright material (if you do they leave it there - for YouTube). If you host it somewhere else, they have a hard time tracking it and if anything they will just tell you to take it down. They honestly have better things to do though and it's not really a problem.

By pop-up sales copy do you mean the pop-up that reads "get your free bottle". If so that's a plugin I have for wordpress.

If you meant the final landing page, it's just a standard affiliate offer.

We did do some research on the topic before creating this campaign. This made it easier for us to portray the information and set-up the videos the way we did.

Hope that answers your questions, let me know if anything is still foggy.

Did you end up hosting the Dr Oz video on youtube itself? I'm curious as to whether my time remapping trick worked or not. If you did upload it to youtube, did they detect a copyright issue for this particular one or no?

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING EVER. ANY ILLICIT SITUATIONS IT APPEARS I'VE BEEN INVOLVED WITH ARE JUST TYPOS, PLEASE FORGIVE ME THIS IS MY FIRST TIME USING THE INTERWEB.

Though many people would plead 'fair use' in cases like these, unless a case progresses to court it would be impossible to tell. All I know is that in my personal experience, I've done some pretty crazy stuff with ripped video and I've never gotten in any sort of legal trouble for it. Even when working for ad agencies, I was instructed to do a LOT of stuff with video that didn't belong to us.

I'm taking... "Here's a DVD we purchased, please rip the movie, and use this shot from this scene in our clients video. It'll be fine, nobody's looking for it, nobody will recognize it, and even if they did, nobody will do anything about it." Each person/organization has a different legal/moral/ethical tolerance for such things. I guess in the end it's about if you personally feel it's wrong, and how likely you think you'll get caught.

CigarMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 24, 2013
Dennis I have a video on youtube that has over 10 million views in the last year... I made over 20k on adsense on it so far and it is still going strong. My question to you is, is putting a link to some kind of product / service / affiliate site going to hurt my views? am I just going to piss off google/youtube.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Dennis I have a video on youtube that has over 10 million views in the last year... I made over 20k on adsense on it so far and it is still going strong. My question to you is, is putting a link to some kind of product / service / affiliate site going to hurt my views? am I just going to piss off google/youtube.

You have to be clever with your copy on the link and the callouts.

If you've got a music video up there you can throw a link to a music related service no problem. An affiliate "support the artist" link to their music can work wonders to thicken your wallet.

But if your video is a compilation of girls shaking their butts.... and you've got a link to a guitar ebook... you may get backlash.

If you want you can PM me your video I'll help you with some ideas!

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
lol, neither youtube or google will care about your link.

By putting a link into the description to an affiliate product, you will not loose any views. It has no correlation to rankings or views.

Also, you could have made a lot more money had you done this earlier.

Make sure to cloak your link though.

CigarMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 24, 2013
lol, neither youtube or google will care about your link.

By putting a link into the description to an affiliate product, you will not loose any views. It has no correlation to rankings or views.

Also, you could have made a lot more money had you done this earlier.

Make sure to cloak your link though.

but youtube ranks videos based on audience retention. Basically how well does your video hold an audience and how well your video retain viewers to watch other videos. If I have people leaving youtube via a link in my description... eventually my analytics/retention will take a beating?

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
but youtube ranks videos based on audience retention. Basically how well does your video hold an audience and how well your video retain viewers to watch other videos. If I have people leaving youtube via a link in my description... eventually my analytics/retention will take a beating?

There are two answers to it.

The technical here+now answer: It doesn't matter. Youtube and Google won't care if you're selling something, Youtube and Google won't care if you have a link. As far as audience retention goes, most people probably won't care enough to do any significant damage to your rankings. This is what Boris was speaking to.

My answer, was to the indirect and 'making people happy' part of the equation. You may or may not have significant backlash from promoting semi-selfishly on your video. You can up your conversions, grow a following, gain almighty TRUST by making sure your message, video, copy, and sales offer is consistent.

I've gotten backlash after attaching an affiliate link to a youtube video. It DID earn me a number of thumbs down on the videos and nasty comments. A major gasoline distributor released a documentary about fossil fuels and energy conservation, and that had NO sales message attached. I worked with somebody on reputation management for that because it was met with many negative comments. People saw it as a transparent attempt to cheat trust and make more long-term money, rather than an earnest attempt to raise awareness.

But then again, at the time gas giants were falling out of favor rapidly. Just like people don't like to see you succeed, see you driving a lambo.. people don't like to see you selling to them either. In that sense you must be careful.

djax06

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 16, 2013
Awesome stuff guys, really appreciate it!

What kind of links are you sending to the video to rank it in Google? If any?.. (social bookmarks, vagex, etc)

I am really interesting in video marketing. Definitely something I want to try on a local scale.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
You mentioned that you hadn't done much to rank the video in Google, would you care to share an advice on how to rank the video on YouTube results?

I noticed that you YT account name matched the product keyword, would you do a new YT account for every keyword you are trying to target?

Good stuff.

Edgars

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 8, 2013
Latvia, Cesvaine
I noticed that you YT account name matched the product keyword, would you do a new YT account for every keyword you are trying to target?

Dennis said in his podcasts, that you should make one theme related channel. So in this case - if every keyword contains the same product/keyword, you can upload them to one channel. This will also give extra power for the channel and not to mention that in related videos(as TheTruth said great traffic) ones of the first ones will be videos from your channel(in this case bigger chances on not loosing potential customer/buyer/sale/lead, because of him clicking on related video, which basically means - I'm leaving).

I would also like to ask about the video ranking. Though only on youtube. I used vagex way back, but after youtube changes, vagex actually did a lot of harm.

Thanks guys

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Did you end up hosting the Dr Oz video on youtube itself? I'm curious as to whether my time remapping trick worked or not. If you did upload it to youtube, did they detect a copyright issue for this particular one or no?

I was hosting it on youtube, but they wanted me to confirm it was copyright material (competitor probably flagged it). I confirmed, the video is still up (private) but sometimes it got cut off when viewing it on the site (due to the copyright).

So what I did was I have it hosted on a 3rd party server now, this way it was way harder for them to track and they won't really bother (since it's not youtube). Also even if they do, it's not on my server so we are golden :)

p.s. where have you been? haven't seen you on skype these days (let's talk, gotta show you something)

Audience retention is 1 factor in rankings. It is not the only factor.

Imo, you should just put the link in the description and see how many clicks it gets (don't even draw attention to it). Really you have nothing to loss and only $ to gain.

p.s. do you have an authority channel? what kind of video is it?

Depending on your answers, it will change the strategy you want to apply (as Dennis mentioned above)

Awesome stuff guys, really appreciate it!

What kind of links are you sending to the video to rank it in Google? If any?.. (social bookmarks, vagex, etc)

I am really interesting in video marketing. Definitely something I want to try on a local scale.

Np, it's our pleasure.

I send all types of links (check out the link at the bottom of this post for more info).

Vagex can work, but only in very specific situations (would take too long to explain, but i'll probably make post going over it in the future)

I just ranked a (city) lawyer video ;)

You mentioned that you hadn't done much to rank the video in Google, would you care to share an advice on how to rank the video on YouTube results?

Good stuff.

A huge factor in me not doing much, is because I know exactly what to do and I have my own tools to do it. This doesn't mean that it is very difficult though.

Check out the link at the bottom of this post, I made a case study going over exactly what it takes to rank and how to do it :)

Dennis said in his podcasts, that you should make one theme related channel. So in this case - if every keyword contains the same product/keyword, you can upload them to one channel. This will also give extra power for the channel and not to mention that in related videos(as TheTruth said great traffic) ones of the first ones will be videos from your channel(in this case bigger chances on not loosing potential customer/buyer/sale/lead, because of him clicking on related video, which basically means - I'm leaving).

I would also like to ask about the video ranking. Though only on youtube. I used vagex way back, but after youtube changes, vagex actually did a lot of harm.

Thanks guys

Yeah Dennis is spot on with that.

Think of it this way, if you are ranking a 4 page site, it would take more work for you to rank then if you had an authority site in that niche.

Same thing with youtube channels, you will get boosts for being an authority.

Vagex does not do any harm, but it is very inefficient. For the amount of points you use up, you don't get even close to the amount of views. (this is not to say that vagex isn't useful, it is for some specific reasons - will make a post in the future about it)

Here is a link to a case study I did,showing you exactly what I do to rank: My Exact Strategy For How I Ranked A 246,000 Keyword On Page 1 Of Google | VidsMedia - Exclusive Video Marketing

Edgars

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 8, 2013
Latvia, Cesvaine
Imo, you should just put the link in the description and see how many clicks it gets (don't even draw attention to it). Really you have nothing to loss and only $ to gain.

BTW, wanted to mention, that it is now possible to put your direct links to your website into video and make them clickable. Like it is with the youtube videos. I don't remember exactly the name of the WSO it was in, but yeah, now you can do it. The whole core concept and guide was included.

And thanks for your advices,
I really appreciate your sharing efforts.

E.

Edit: Link to the WSO that gives you guide on how to insert External Website link into Youtube video annotation.

http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior...y-website-any-youtube-video-game-changer.html

Note: This is not my product. Not trying to sell it or anything. Tried it last month an it worked.

CigarMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 24, 2013
The truth,

I had created 2 other semi viral videos, one with a 1.5 million views in a month (then it died) and another with 600,000 views in one week (then it died).

I added affiliate links to both those videos, an average of 500 people a day were clicking on the links. I had no sales, the vendor was also collecting emails in attempt to make a sale down the road and avoid paying my commission. So it was a big bust for me, no sales and the views went to zero shortly after adding the affiliate link.

I do not have an a authority site, I created the video (the one with 10 million views) thinking it would get some views and use it to make some money off an affiliate but after what happened with the 2 other videos I decided not to do that.

I also had a 4th video about to go viral (3000 views a day for about 2 weeks) but it got deleted because it offended some people, I am in the process of appealing. I have re uploaded the video on a second account with the same tags, a bit less offensive so I will see how it goes.

I have uploaded like 10 videos in my life so getting views on youtube seems pretty easy to me. I just keep optimizing the thumbnails, titles and tags until I get results... I have my theories as to what youtube is looking for, sometimes before I create my video, maybe I am lucky. I am starting to see this can be very profitable, but I know this business lacks control which is why I have not committed my efforts to it.

CigarMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 24, 2013
Did your case study make any money? Views and click-thru's are great, but cash is king,... did it produce any income?

I am interested in what percentage of people are clicking the link in your description, what percentage of people clicking the link for a free bottle and what percentage sign up for their free bottle?

Also, do you have a target numbers and if so what are they? Also are all your views natural, did you pay or use software to get views? Does this help in ranking your video?

Your video is number 4, which is pretty amazing in only a month.

I have a idea for a awesome product that I used in the past, I had trouble sleeping and stumbled upon a natural supplement that combined with a food is so powerful I swear it could put a elephant to sleep!

djax06

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 16, 2013
Np, it's our pleasure.

I send all types of links (check out the link at the bottom of this post for more info).

Vagex can work, but only in very specific situations (would take too long to explain, but i'll probably make post going over it in the future)

I just ranked a (city) lawyer video ;)

Here is a link to a case study I did,showing you exactly what I do to rank: My Exact Strategy For How I Ranked A 246,000 Keyword On Page 1 Of Google | VidsMedia - Exclusive Video Marketing

Awesome dude. That's exactly the type of stuff I want to do at the moment.

One question.. What sort of modifications did you make to the SENuke template? I use it often, but never for a video :)

Also, what tools are you using? I have SEnuke and Scrapebox, can you recommend anything else? I love learning tools rather than outsourcing (unless its a simple outsource)

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
BTW, wanted to mention, that it is now possible to put your direct links to your website into video and make them clickable. Like it is with the youtube videos. I don't remember exactly the name of the WSO it was in, but yeah, now you can do it. The whole core concept and guide was included.

And thanks for your advices,
I really appreciate your sharing efforts.

E.

Edit: Link to the WSO that gives you guide on how to insert External Website link into Youtube video annotation.

http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior...y-website-any-youtube-video-game-changer.html

Note: This is not my product. Not trying to sell it or anything. Tried it last month an it worked.

You don't need a WSO. YouTube now allows linking to external sites from annotations. You just have to sign up for the partnership program to do this.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
BTW, wanted to mention, that it is now possible to put your direct links to your website into video and make them clickable.

Yeah I got the wso myself. I have yet to test it, but it looks awesome (note: you could already do this before, just not within your actual youtube videos).

If you have an example I would love to see it :)

The truth,

I had created 2 other semi viral videos, one with a 1.5 million views in a month (then it died) and another with 600,000 views in one week (then it died).

I pm'd ya

Did your case study make any money? Views and click-thru's are great, but cash is king,... did it produce any income?

It did make money yes.

Keep in mind though:

I had to test multiple offers for the product from different networks.

I had to test at what time to put the pop-ups to convert best.

This will make you leave a bit of money on the table, but once you optimize it you reap the rewards (especially when you are sick and you check your phone to find out 1 video made $100 in like 10 hours lol)

I am still testing the headlines and offers ( PRO TIP: the best offer is not always the best converting one - killer copy > offer ... even if the end user has to pay way more)

I am interested in what percentage of people are clicking the link in your description, what percentage of people clicking the link for a free bottle and what percentage sign up for their free bottle?

Also, do you have a target numbers and if so what are they? Also are all your views natural, did you pay or use software to get views? Does this help in ranking your video?

Your video is number 4, which is pretty amazing in only a month.

I have a idea for a awesome product that I used in the past, I had trouble sleeping and stumbled upon a natural supplement that combined with a food is so powerful I swear it could put a elephant to sleep!

Roughly:

10-14% on the video description link

47-60% on the pop-up (although when its not American it doesn't count)

Final bottle offer varies too much because I tested so many offers. Still testing actually so don't have definitive numbers.

We actually hit 1-2nd place on youtube the second day it was released, then it remained top 5 after that.

The way I ranked this video is explained exactly on my other case study here: My Exact Strategy For How I Ranked A 246,000 Keyword On Page 1 Of Google | VidsMedia - Exclusive Video Marketing (I just did it on a smaller scale and less links)

Awesome dude. That's exactly the type of stuff I want to do at the moment.

One question.. What sort of modifications did you make to the SENuke template? I use it often, but never for a video :)

Also, what tools are you using? I have SEnuke and Scrapebox, can you recommend anything else? I love learning tools rather than outsourcing (unless its a simple outsource)

Depends, no one campaign is the same. I like to test to see what differences it will make and then analyze why. As a rule of thumb though, I try to get in some extra social bookmarks usually.

I use Senuke, GSA and scrapebox. Sometimes I outsource as well when I don't have time or don't feel like doing the work.

You don't need a WSO. YouTube now allows linking to external sites from annotations. You just have to sign up for the partnership program to do this.

Hey Jeff, I actually am on his side with that recommendation.

The annotations that YouTube allows you to put are butt ugly. Nobody wants to click on those. Imagine a nice picture with a call to action you make yourself (or get someone to do) instead?

Edgars

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 8, 2013
Latvia, Cesvaine
If you have an example I would love to see it

I would love to. Seriously. But the video I used it on has been deleted along with the channel. It happened after I made vagex campaign. That is why I mentioned vagex previously. I am not really sure, what I did wrong, but well... it happened.

After that just dropped youtube for a while, as it was a test anyways.

Though, video was clearly affiliate looking one. Like those top 10 ones. Product #10 - great color, product #9 - something else etc. I had a very good psychological twist to its description, so it converted very well with amazon.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
I would love to. Seriously. But the video I used it on has been deleted along with the channel. It happened after I made vagex campaign. That is why I mentioned vagex previously. I am not really sure, what I did wrong, but well... it happened.

After that just dropped youtube for a while, as it was a test anyways.

Though, video was clearly affiliate looking one. Like those top 10 ones. Product #10 - great color, product #9 - something else etc. I had a very good psychological twist to its description, so it converted very well with amazon.

Videos don't get deleted because of Vagex, they get deleted by ppl reporting them.

The only times I had my 2 videos deleted was

1) I had a "psychological system" as you said in the description. It was basically a snake oil salesman pitch. Spammy videos and spammy description get flagged (either by youtube or someone who watched your video)

2) A competitor stole my video and I got him banned. He then started flagging my original video because he was mad. Eventually youtube took my video down due to too many flags.

Summary: Don't make spammy videos and you won't get banned.

Edgars

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 8, 2013
Latvia, Cesvaine
I had a "psychological system" as you said in the description.

I had a twist, which was looking nothing like psychology.
It was just giving people what they wanted the most + the pattern on how text was situated was more psychologically powerful for getting people to click through. No sales pitch, just more interest.

I found that description can be made more honest and without exaggeration, while getting even better CTRs than with all them pitches.

Only thing looking like affiliate stuff was content on the actual video. Though, it was looking like affiliate stuff for my eye, that is used to notice something being sold to me right away.

Ok, then it could be just my competitors, that did not love me being number 1(it was a micro niche - like 10k searches a month in google).

Thanks for explaining.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Hey Jeff, I actually am on his side with that recommendation.

The annotations that YouTube allows you to put are butt ugly. Nobody wants to click on those. Imagine a nice picture with a call to action you make yourself (or get someone to do) instead?

I was just pointing out there is a free alternative. Besides, I'm allergic to the Warrior Forum....ugh

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale

Only thing looking like affiliate stuff was content on the actual video. Though, it was looking like affiliate stuff for my eye, that is used to notice something being sold to me right away.

Yeah description or video content both. If either one of those is spammy and someone reports you, that's the end of the story.

If you do throw something up again, gimmi a shout and I will take a look.

I was just pointing out there is a free alternative. Besides, I'm allergic to the Warrior Forum....ugh

lol, I hear ya, but this does look promising. I am going to try it out soon.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Very nice for an organic campaign. Looks like a quick way to make a tidy sum fairly fast.

Good job guys.

Last edited:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
If you care to share any of the behind the scenes stuff from this, I'd like to know which script you are using to automatically display the link to the offer at a certain time on the Dr. Oz video?

Do you have a quick way to add the social sharing links on the landing page?

Also, are you using Premise on WP to create the landing page?

Much appreciated.

btw, did your Dr. Oz vid get busted, I notice that the link from YouTube is going to some nasty flash player install now...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.