The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vegan / Vegetarians Only (Chat about lifestyle, opportunities, food, whatever...)

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
With burgers, better taste comes with a larger percentage of fat. 80% meat / 20% fat tastes much better than 90/10 for instance. It also gets a smokey flavor if grilled or barbequed over coal or wood versus in a pan or in the oven. In a pan or on a flat top stove, it can brown against the metal which provides a lot of flavor too. Condiments add a lot. BBQ sauces, mayo, ketchup, mustard or just salt and pepper, etc. There are also some wild burgers with lots going on. Here's the instagram of a very successful hamburger place that started in St. Louis. They have several locations now. It's an education in successfully marketing food on instagram. Plus it will give you an insight into things that people can do with burgers. Read the posts and the names of the burgers. These are the daily specials:

I know several people who check it regularly to see if they should go get the special there. I was one of them.

I should mention that a lot of their burgers aren't just beef ones. They make whatever they dream up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlackLynx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jan 21, 2019
Belgium
I have a question for @MJ DeMarco . In your latest book, you are briefly mentioning your switch to veganism and the fact that just a few years ago you would never ever have thought a vegan lifestyle would be your thing.

Only a few weeks before I read the book I decided to try eating plant-based. I am very in touch with my body lately and I just noticed I felt better when not eating meat. Not just a little bit but it's day and night.

The lifestyle is new to me - I was one of those guys who laughed at people when they claimed to be vegetarians and I was outright disgusted by vegans. But I cannot deny what I'm feeling. I sleep better, I move better, my body seems happy ...

You don't go into it into the book - only briefly mentioning your health markers and animal cruelty- but I was wondering what made you make the switch. I guess it's comparable with going fastlane - what was your F*ck you-event ?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You don't go into it into the book - only briefly mentioning your health markers and animal cruelty- but I was wondering what made you make the switch. I guess it's comparable with going fastlane - what was your f*ck you-event ?

I researched industrialized animal agriculture and carnism as a potential "Script" while writing Unscripted Book 1. (2017). I found myself caught in a duplicitous dissonance with respect to how I loved all animals and yet, had no problem stuffing my face full of slaughtered animals, all in the name of convenience and taste.

Americans don't like dogs being tortured and eaten in China, but they have no problem eating cows and pigs just as long as someone else does the torture and slaughter behind closed doors. The duplicity is laughable. Cows, pigs, and chickens -- they are equally as intelligent as any house pet.

No sentient being with the emotional capacity to feel fear, pain, and grief should be caged and treated like inanimate objects. If you want to see what cannot be unseen, take a look a how these creatures are treated and then slaughtered, all so some fat-a$$ American can have their convenient dollar meal.

I don't want to post videos here is it is quite traumatic and sad.

Animals can grieve for lost companions and family members, but we choose to be blind to their emotional pain. We choose to deny them sentience and their natural instincts to live and survive.

I went vegan primarily for the animal welfare reasons, but the health benefits that followed was the icing on the cake.

As I mentioned in the book, it was the hardest thing I ever did, until it no longer was hard.

Compassion is not a fad.
Compassion is not a diet.
Compassion exists only because cruelty does.
When cruelty disappears, the need for compassion will as well.

A PS to the skeptics: I get plenty of protein, my B12 is fine, and I'm not losing my hair... it actually stopped falling out.

Alferez

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 27, 2018
I'm a vegan for about 5 years.

For me, best decision of my life. The change was due to health (ED cured) and ethical questions.

Future is vegan, I'm 100% sure of this. May be population is not prepared yet for this change, but sonner os later it is going to happen.

B.Cotter

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Apr 23, 2020
Northern VA
Being a chef I always chuckled at vegans and vegetarians.

Since July 1st I've now been on a vegetarian/pescatarian diet. Did this to try it out because I want help to lose a few pounds before a trip in October, and I can't work out due to a plantar plate tear that is still in the process of healing.

I must say though that there is something to not eating meat. Since I switched over and eat heavily plant based, I maybe eat fish once every 2-3 days, I feel like I'm 20yo again. I have a ridiculous amount of energy. Still go to sleep at midnight but now I naturally wake up at 6am without fighting it. It used to be a fight getting up at 8am after hitting snooze the third time. I don't burn out or feel tired during the day; no naps. I've lost almost 5 pounds now in the matter of a few weeks, and the look/feeling of general bloat around my stomach is gone. I'm noticeably in a much better mood all of the time as well.

Honestly, cooking or meal prepping to eat plant based is much easier than I thought. Eating a huge variety of ingredients is much easier than I thought. I thought the switch would be hard and I would need to be very mentally focused to stay the course but it's been a breeze. I don't even think about it. I don't crave or have any desire to go eat a steak or hamburger, etc. Honestly, this is great and I'll probably stay the course past my trip.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Made me think of this thread:

p.png

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I went vegan primarily for the animal welfare reasons, but the health benefits that followed was the icing on the cake.

Funny thing is, my experience was the opposite. I switched because my digestive issues were really annoying me. But I can feel good about the food that I eat knowing that I'm not causing unnecessary suffering.

Side note: I had people arguing that it doesn't matter because farmers kill small animals (gophers, mice, etc) when farming plant products... my response is that I'd rather be the one to eat those plant products than to have them fed to animals who we're going to eat. Highly inefficient and results in creating more suffering for absolutely nothing.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I thought the switch would be hard and I would need to be very mentally focused to stay the course but it's been a breeze.

It really is getting easy now. You can eat vegan healthy, and you can eat vegan junk. Of course, the "vegan junk" won't make anyone feel 10 years younger or get them energy as processed food is still processed.

There was a period of time I felt I was "missing out" -- but those days have slipped away as more and more choices (and great recipes) become more prevalent.

Congrats on the shift. The space is really growing with lots of opportunity.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
It really is getting easy now. You can eat vegan healthy, and you can eat vegan junk. Of course, the "vegan junk" won't make anyone feel 10 years younger or get them energy as processed food is still processed.

There was a period of time I felt I was "missing out" -- but those days have slipped away as more and more choices (and great recipes) become more prevalent.

Congrats on the shift. The space is really growing with lots of opportunity.
I don't like the word "vegan" or "vegetarian" mainly for this reason (plus all the connotations that come along with the word). "Vegan" gets all the hype, but WFPB (whole food plant based) is where it's really at.

I've experienced a lot of health issues this year and I basically had to re-build my health from the ground up. I made a drastic shift toward a WFPB diet earlier this year, and have been making huge strides in regaining my health. I still eat eggs a couple times a week and the occasional chicken/steak, but other than that, it's been strictly WFPB. And also no sugar, no gluten, no alcohol, no tobacco products, no drugs.

Actually, 5 years ago I lived in Boulder for about 6 months and used to make fun of all the vegans there. It's funny how life works sometimes.

I grew up hunting and probably won't even give up meat 100%, but when I do occasionally eat meat now, it'll be natural cuts and either organic/grass-fed/pasture-raised or from an animal that I harvested myself. My diet is plant-based now, not meat or processed food based.

I have no desire to ever go back to my old way of eating. While I'm still recovering, I've been way more productive lately in a lot of ways. I plan on not just getting back to my old health, but getting on a whole new level. I was in a deep hole 6 months ago, and I never want to be in that place again.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Vegan" gets all the hype, but WFPB (whole food plant based) is where it's really at.

So true.

I try to avoid the word "vegan" -- if your read my new book (The Great Rat Race Escape ) it actually discusses this as a business strategy that you should avoid the word "vegan" as generally it carries negative connotations for many people -- Namely, "vegan" has political overtones and for some, it carries visions of a purple-haired nose-ringed hippie. Plant-based is the positive connotation to infer health and naturality, and isn't potentially off putting.

One expects a vegan meal to be boring and tasteless.
A plant-based meal, well, there's some hope there that it might be good.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
The fact that the world's number one restaurant has gone full vegan might accelerate the change
Eleven Madison Park Goes Vegan

Moreover, all reservations sold out for June and July-- remarkable.

Brave move that seems to be paying off, so far.

Apart from the impact, this also emphasizes the power of constraints in business and life-- when you limit yourself to a certain set of guidelines, it can have the opposite effect of expanding possibilities that you hadn't considered before.

Side note-- I'm currently enjoying some homemade vegan Rigatoni al Pesto. Very quick to prepare and tasty! I'm the only vegan in the house, but after years of making a separate meal for me, and after tasting my vegan version, the wife decided to just make the vegan version for everyone. Anybody else's veganism rubbing off on others?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thought this was funny...

My fave of course is the relative who has a Michelin tire around his waist, has had 2 heart attacks, and takes 4 prescription meds who suddenly is the expert in nutrition.

Sorry, but if you can't see your feet when looking down, you have no business commenting on someone's dietary habits.

1627240438776.png

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Didn't know MJ is also plant-based! Awesome. I have been 99% plant based for about 17 years. Eat eggs rarely, no meat, and very little dairy. Food science is reaching a point where we will have all the taste and texture of meat but it will be all plant-based.

Here is a cool visual for people who wonder what the impact is on animal farming.

31.4 billion animals farmed and slaughtered this year alone. Has some other great stats as well.

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
Do you people take any vitamins that had a meaningful impact on improving health?
Please share the brands you trust.

I wouldn't comment on improving health as that's very broad / vague and I'm not a health professional, but some high quality brands are MegaFood or Garden of Life for supplements, also a good protein powder I like is Sunwarrior.

Its good to try to find stuff that has no sugar added and organic as much as possible.

D

Deleted70138

I wouldn't comment on improving health as that's very broad / vague and I'm not a health professional, but some high quality brands are MegaFood or Garden of Life for supplements, also a good protein powder I like is Sunwarrior.

Its good to try to find stuff that has no sugar added and organic as much as possible

Some of them seem generally beneficial, such as Magensium, Vitamin D, Omega fats, Zinc.
Somebody posted this one and bought it. By reviews seems great.

91rC3E4ScmL._AC_SL1500_ (1).jpg

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Any suggestions how to convince an unhealthy person to change their diet? I know, it's damn near impossible but maybe someone has any suggestions.

More context below...

My parents eat a diet full of processed grains and dairy. This is pretty much 80%+ of their diet. They eat some vegetables and fruits but it's very little compared to the grains and dairy (and desserts every day). That's particularly a problem for my mom who's obese (my dad is obese as well but he has more physical activity) and has high cholesterol levels and thyroid issues.

No matter what I do, I can't get her to change her diet. Two years ago my girlfriend's father died suddenly, most likely at least partly due to his diet. Right after that, I paid for my parents' super extensive health screening in a private hospital. The doctors told them they have to lose weight. No action. A few weeks ago the father of one of my friends suffered a massive stroke, probably also due to his diet. Still nothing.

Now my mom got blood test results and they're worse than ever. I still can't get her to even open up to the possibility that you can save your life with your diet. I can't keep pushing all the time because it'll just make her resist more but if something happens to her I'll regret I didn't push harder...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any suggestions how to convince an unhealthy person to change their diet? I know, it's damn near impossible but maybe someone has any suggestions.

More context below...

My parents eat a diet full of processed grains and dairy. This is pretty much 80%+ of their diet. They eat some vegetables and fruits but it's very little compared to the grains and dairy (and desserts every day). That's particularly a problem for my mom who's obese (my dad is obese as well but he has more physical activity) and has high cholesterol levels and thyroid issues.

No matter what I do, I can't get her to change her diet. Two years ago my girlfriend's father died suddenly, most likely at least partly due to his diet. Right after that, I paid for my parents' super extensive health screening in a private hospital. The doctors told them they have to lose weight. No action. A few weeks ago the father of one of my friends suffered a massive stroke, probably also due to his diet. Still nothing.

Now my mom got blood test results and they're worse than ever. I still can't get her to even open up to the possibility that you can save your life with your diet. I can't keep pushing all the time because it'll just make her resist more but if something happens to her I'll regret I didn't push harder...

Unfortunately, you have to "let go" of the idea you can change them.

For unhappy/normal people, junk food is their happiness. It is their joy.

And now you want to take that away from them?

You'd have more luck changing someone's political opinion.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

More context below...

Move in with your parents and become their personal chef.
Cook whatever they like, just make it healthy & delicious.
Or hire a personal chef to do the same.

If your mother enjoys cooking, you'll have to sell her the idea that you want them to take it easy now they're getting older & it's your gift to them.

Don't mention the health part.

And hire a house keeper to do the chores, it'll make it more convincing.

What's money compared to your parent's health?

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020

More context below...

You could transition it by taking them on holiday & getting some of your target food into them while they have no means to prepare food themselves.

You can also install your employees & get the house ready for their return.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

I cannot imagine this task being easy at all.

Best I can think of is creating the type of environment where choosing healthier foods is just easier. For example, delivered healthy foods and yet somehow all the unhealthy choices slowly but surely disappeared from their home. Now to eat something like chips and cola would require getting out and going to a store to buy it. Simple step of making it just a little harder to do may shift behavior (nudge it, if you will).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Unfortunately, you have to "let go" of the idea you can change them.

For unhappy/normal people, junk food is their happiness. It is their joy.

And now you want to take that away from them?

You'd have more luck changing someone's political opinion.

That's kind of what I believe as well. I think it's a simple lifestyle decision with a very logical argument (if you keep eating like that, your health will further deteriorate) but I guess it's like trying to help a drug addict. Only instead of drugs, they're addicted to their dietary beliefs and the foods they eat...

Move in with your parents and become their personal chef.
Cook whatever they like, just make it healthy & delicious.
Or hire a personal chef to do the same.

If your mother enjoys cooking, you'll have to sell her the idea that you want them to take it easy now they're getting older & it's your gift to them.

Don't mention the health part.

And hire a house keeper to do the chores, it'll make it more convincing.

What's money compared to your parent's health?

I sometimes cook for them. My dad, a meat-eater, is happy to try vegan stuff and often enjoys it. My mom, vegetarian, says that vegan stuff isn't "normal" and often doesn't even want to try it. And I don't cook for them stuff that would only appeal to vegans because friends who aren't vegans enjoy the same dishes.

Even for stuff like dessert, I bring them healthy alternatives so instead of eating a shitty processed cake they would eat a cake made of dates, bananas, and cocoa (they would still eat dessert so I'm trying to at least make them eat a healthier one). But particularly my mom still prefers the former and often won't even eat what I bring.

A housekeeper isn't a good idea because it would make them even less active physically.

I cannot imagine this task being easy at all.

Best I can think of is creating the type of environment where choosing healthier foods is just easier. For example, delivered healthy foods and yet somehow all the unhealthy choices slowly but surely disappeared from their home. Now to eat something like chips and cola would require getting out and going to a store to buy it. Simple step of making it just a little harder to do may shift behavior (nudge it, if you will).

They live in the countryside so meal delivery is probably not available but I'll check. Maybe they would be open to eating a healthier delivered diet but I doubt it...

The problem is that their default meals are based on processed wheat and dairy which I assume they believe are healthy (and considered to be "normal food").

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Mass media is now talking everywhere about "revolutionary" potato milk. It was created by Swedish company DUG. I checked the ingredients of their "original" potato milk:

Water, Potato (6 %), Maltodextrin, Pea Protein, Chicory (Vegetable) Fibre, Rapeseed Oil, Fructose, Sucrose, Acidity Regulator (Di-and Mono-Sodium Phosphate), Calcium Carbonate, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour, Vitamins (D, Riboflavin, B12, Folic Acid).

This is sugary water that happens to have 6% of potato, not "potato milk." It's clear to see when a company creates plant-based products simply to make money, with ZERO understanding whatsoever that a plant-based diet should be first and foremost based on unprocessed PLANTS, not the same poisonous sweeteners that are put into standard junk food.

Stuff like this gives plant-based products a bad name.

They offer an unsweetened version of their "potato milk" but it's still shitty:

Water, Potato (9 %), Rapeseed Oil, Pea Protein, Acidity Regulator (Di-and Mono-Sodium Phosphate), Calcium Carbonate, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavour, Vitamins (D, Riboflavin, B12, Folic Acid).

I'm particularly referring to rapeseed oil (shitty cheap oil most food manufacturers use instead of a healthier oil, or better yet, skipping it altogether) and "natural flavor" which can be anything.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Mass media is now talking everywhere about "revolutionary" potato milk. It was created by Swedish company DUG. I checked the ingredients of their "original" potato milk:

This is sugary water that happens to have 6% of potato, not "potato milk." It's clear to see when a company creates plant-based products simply to make money, with ZERO understanding whatsoever that a plant-based diet should be first and foremost based on unprocessed PLANTS, not the same poisonous sweeteners that are put into standard junk food.

Stuff like this gives plant-based products a bad name.

They offer an unsweetened version of their "potato milk" but it's still shitty:

I'm particularly referring to rapeseed oil (shitty cheap oil most food manufacturers use instead of a healthier oil, or better yet, skipping it altogether) and "natural flavor" which can be anything.

Ugh. I looked at those ingredients and thought what a processed shit show. You’re right- these kinds of alternatives only benefit from recategoritization, “it’s plant based”!

They probably don’t make anyone healthier, and it certainly won’t make the argument that there are better alts to cow milk any easier.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Thought this was funny...

My fave of course is the relative who has a Michelin tire around his waist, has had 2 heart attacks, and takes 4 prescription meds who suddenly is the expert in nutrition.

Sorry, but if you can't see your feet when looking down, you have no business commenting on someone's dietary habits.

View attachment 39125

Or Thin Privledge.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oo3zNvQF_o

People have all types of excuses.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
@MJ DeMarco

What does your day look like eating a plant based food? Are you One Meal A Day?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco

What does your day look like eating a plant based food? Are you One Meal A Day?

No, two, sometimes three.

I usually skip breakfast. Maybe coffee in the morning. If I have breakfast, it might be eggs (Just Egg) toast, or a plant-based protein bar.

A pretty big salad for lunch or early afternoon.

Dinner varies. If the wife cooks something, it is pretty spot on and healthy. If I have to fend for myself, I might cook up some peas and some "fast food" like an Alpha chicken patty or a pizza burrito. Snacks might be popcorn, veggitizers, apples, or some type of quick fruit/veggy combo.

Junk food would be something from Del Taco, a plant-based pizza, or even Burger King. (Impossible Whopper).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.