The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

University is making me sick

jerryB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
May 25, 2018
When it comes to my hustle, I’m working on something foreign language-related which includes programming. But here I don’t mind it, because programming is what it takes to finish my product.

I think I’ll give the university one last try this semester even tho I’m emotionally done with it and probably won’t pass the semester, because subjects are highly theoretical and I don’t give a darn about them and I’m just wasting my time. I know what I want to do in life and what kind of value I can provide to others: I like teaching, I like languages and I’m trying to combine these two things into a business. If it doesn’t work, I’ll just go back to 9-5 and figure something else.

It’s not like I’m quitting and landing on the street. I’ll take up a job to make ends meet, hopefully as a developer, because it’s my only employable skill as someone mentioned.

Yeah, it’s just one last year but on the other hand I’ve already got my bachelor diploma so I can always start another 2-year major studies, perhaps in a field which I like better.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
You are very close. Finish your degree. I hated college, thought it was a waste until I found an end goal that my degree got me into so I finished with a 4.0.

You don't need to be a programmer. Use your skills to manage people, go into tech sales, teaching, a million jobs you can "pivot" that skill into. And if you DO want to start your own business then coding is a fundamental need for any start up in tech. You can do it yourself vs. having to pay or rely on others. Ask me how I know.

Good luck.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hi,

I'm on my last year of Computer Science. I already have a bachelor degree in Computer Science but now I'm on the last year of my master. I'm also working on my own business but that's not the point here.
The bachelor went quite smooth, but I'm really struggling with the master studies since I discovered that I hate computer science and programming and I don't have talent for it whatsoever.

As I said, I hate programming. It makes me miserable. I don't have a "drive" for it whatsoever. I began with it in the first place because I was motivated by money..programming is a good job. I worked as a developer before and money was great, but my problem was always being this guy with least talent in the room and the guy that struggled with everything.
I hate it, I don't have any talent for it, I struggle with it and I wanna quit it for good. I have talent for many other things which I abandoned because I thought that I would become an excellent developer which obviously didn't happen.

My parents are being problematic here. They keep "motivating" me to finish my major, whereas I'm getting depressed because I hate my it. I hate the stupid and useless subjects. There are kids at the university who just love programming, love computer science and are having fun doing it. I'm not having fun at all.

So yeah, I have this pressure from my parents but I also fear the future, because I spent like 4 years studying this shit and came to conclusion that it was a bad choice, because I don't actually have a talent for it and went there to "get a good job". But what's the point in having a "good job" when the job makes you miserable?

My parents are from the old generation: "get your degree, get a job, get a mortgage, a car, a wife, kids, dog and spend your life working 9-5" and I feel this pressure from them and I have this feeling that I'm not fulfilling their expectations or I don't know. It's just I'm really attached to them and truth be told don't have guts to say "no" to them.

I'm not asking what I should do but what you guys would do in my situation? Would you quit the university and focus on the things you love doing?
leave. Your parents don't care about your happiness then. They care about bragging that their kid has a degree to all of the other stupid parents. Forget them.

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
It doesnt make sense to quite if you are in the middle already. IT is a very profitable industry but you need to have a good education to lang a job. If you don't like programming, you can become a project manager or work in sales and earn pretty good money.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
I think I’ll give the university one last try this semester even tho I’m emotionally done with it and probably won’t pass the semester(...) I don’t give a darn (...)I’m just wasting my time.

are you insane?

you just said that you know what you want to do - but you are doing the complete opposite, and you already know (or you are persuiading yourself) that you dont care about it.

just do what you want to do. get yourself a job that doesnt suck your brains out for food and a cheap room - and work like a mad man on your own project. learn learn. execute! DO IT.

after one year you will evaluate your progress. Maybe you have some experience but decide that you now will finish your Degree... maybe.

jerryB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
May 25, 2018
are you insane?
you just said that you know what you want to do - but you are doing the complete opposite, and you already know (or you are persuiading yourself) that you dont care about it.

What can I say.. parents. They are crazy about this. I keep hearing things "If you don't finish it, you're done, nobody will help you" or they keep saying that I'm a disgrace to the family, etc.
Hearing these things is well.. heart-breaking.

This is really hard, guys. I know I shouldn't be searching for their approval. I wasn't aware that I was so attached to them. Last year I moved abroad to Netherlands to work there and learn the language. I paused my master studies. They kept discouraging me: "Stay, finish your degree and then do what you want" but I did just the opposite. I did what I wanted and I never regretted it, even though they went crazy and didn't want me to go. I learned dutch and got my certificate in dutch after just one year of working there. That's one of the best achievements in my life.

It doesnt make sense to quite if you are in the middle already. IT is a very profitable industry but you need to have a good education to lang a job. If you don't like programming, you can become a project manager or work in sales and earn pretty good money.

The studies make me depressed as F*ck. I literally hate all the subjects. My bachelor was quite interesting. I must say that I learned quite a lot, even thought I wasn't into programming that much. Master studies are pointless for me. I started these just because all of my friends did it and I thought that it was a right thing to do. I was a sheep following the crowd.

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
I think I’ll give the university one last try this semester even tho I’m emotionally done with it and probably won’t pass the semester
I agree with the previous response, it sounds insane if you want to drop off. Most likely you will regret about this in the future. The reality is that you need a formal degree to get a good job and have a career. I would recommend you to talk to someone and get an advice from someone who is older than you before you make any decision.

Alvarorm1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 16, 2018
Glasgow
I got my bachelors in electrical and mechanical engineering. Only thing worth from it is saying it.

I also hated it and was the least suited person in my course. They were all doing placemtents with big tech companies some even with NASA.

But now I can do a tech sales job which is something wherein my abilities and interests lie in more so.

You’re not the only one that chose a degree they hated bc it has good job prospects. There’s way more stupid shit you could’ve wasted your time in.

Btw I went to uni in Scotland and was also free.

JHZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 24, 2017
México
God, this board is so frustrating sometimes. Rant incoming.

One. Time unused is wasted.

OP has no idea what they want to do.

OP has no skills to start a business.

OP lives in Europe where without a Masters you won't get funding or credit.

OP would do nothing with this year.

But sure, uhh, time is, uhuh, invaluable.

No. That's just a meme. Time is worthless if you waste it.

Two. People who think you can drop out and start a business tomorrow are LARPers.

Literally the only people who say this crap are here roleplaying and don't take action.

To start a business takes skills.

Skills you can learn without dropping out of your free education.

Skills you can learn without alienating your whole damn family.

I don't know where this meme that you can do stuff without any skill comes from.

But it needs to die in a fire.

I mean, say he drops out... what does he do?

He learns some basics... while working a job?

A shitty job instead of the one he would get with his degree?

A shitty job that takes 3 times the hours it takes to go to University?

A shitty job that makes him a failure in the eyes of his family, putting him under x10 the pressure?

This is your advice? This is your value proposition?

Is there a big joke I don't get?

Do you people even think before dishing out #EntrepreneurHustlerLife platitudes?

I'm sorry, isn't the advice constantly "don't quit your job, start on the side"?

Uni takes less time and energy than a job.

So do that now, right? That would be the logical advice.

But no, because screw college. College is useless, hurray!

Three. Building a business is failure, pain, and suffering.

So he hates his studies. So what?

That's a hard life? GTFO.

You people think he can tough it out in the market with this attitude?

OP could get another 5 years degree he hates and it would be easier than building a business.

He's feeling bad?

It's nothing close to how bad he will feel after he drops out, fails a couple of times, and considers himself a failure, judged by everyone around him.

"What happened to jerryB? He had such potential! Threw it all away."

People who went through the same thing know what I'm talking about.

People who didn't, don't get it.

That's all I'm saying.

No, they aren't. That's not what the sunk cost fallacy is.

Since you want to use the big words, we are saying that the marginal cost of getting the degree is small compared to the value of the degree, especially considering that since OP has no idea what to do, the opportunity cost is actually null. And since he would do nothing but fret on this board asking about this and that business model he has discovered yesterday, and which he's not remotely competent enough to put into action, he should get the degree instead.

Also OP lives in Europe. People in Europe care about Masters a crapload more than in the US.

At least in some places in the EU people actually ask you about your degree before doing business with you.
Not hiring you. Doing business with your company. Your successful company.

It entitles to a lot of status, and that matters a lot.

But sure, #HustleCultureLiveYourBestLife instead.

That's the only smart way to make this kind of decision.

And the reason why you can't tolerate it is that you emotionally decided you are done with it.

If you really couldn't tolerate it, you wouldn't have tolerated it for four years.

Look at it this way.

Is it smart to make decisions when you're not emotionally stable?

Fix your mindset and emotional problems. Then decide.
I really needed to hear this. I've been feeling lately kind of like a failure and a dreampeneur because I chose to finish my degree in Industrial Engineering (I have 6 months left, had 1 year left when I made my decision) basically for the same reasons you just laid out: I don't really have a plan, no hard skills I could leverage for income, no side business going on. Really the only thing I would do would be getting a high school degree job and using that income for a potential business opportunity (the income I would get from that is almost poverty) so considering all the options, I also think that the OP should finish his degree and continue his entrepreneurial path afterwards.

@jerryB I totally emphatize with you man, having to invest your time and effort into something that you have no desire to do. And also feeling pressured to drop out because that's what an entrepreneur supposedly does. I hope that you can find something positive in the year you have left in school

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hi,

I'm on my last year of Computer Science. I already have a bachelor degree in Computer Science but now I'm on the last year of my master. I'm also working on my own business but that's not the point here.
The bachelor went quite smooth, but I'm really struggling with the master studies since I discovered that I hate computer science and programming and I don't have talent for it whatsoever.

As I said, I hate programming. It makes me miserable. I don't have a "drive" for it whatsoever. I began with it in the first place because I was motivated by money..programming is a good job. I worked as a developer before and money was great, but my problem was always being this guy with least talent in the room and the guy that struggled with everything.
I hate it, I don't have any talent for it, I struggle with it and I wanna quit it for good. I have talent for many other things which I abandoned because I thought that I would become an excellent developer which obviously didn't happen.

My parents are being problematic here. They keep "motivating" me to finish my major, whereas I'm getting depressed because I hate my it. I hate the stupid and useless subjects. There are kids at the university who just love programming, love computer science and are having fun doing it. I'm not having fun at all.

So yeah, I have this pressure from my parents but I also fear the future, because I spent like 4 years studying this shit and came to conclusion that it was a bad choice, because I don't actually have a talent for it and went there to "get a good job". But what's the point in having a "good job" when the job makes you miserable?

My parents are from the old generation: "get your degree, get a job, get a mortgage, a car, a wife, kids, dog and spend your life working 9-5" and I feel this pressure from them and I have this feeling that I'm not fulfilling their expectations or I don't know. It's just I'm really attached to them and truth be told don't have guts to say "no" to them.

I'm not asking what I should do but what you guys would do in my situation? Would you quit the university and focus on the things you love doing?

Big F*cking secret: NOBODY KNOWS WTF THEY ARE DOING WITH THEIR DEGREES, AND ALMOST NO ONE HAS A JOB IN THEIR MAJOR.

This is a life design issue. The system is broken. People go to school for 12 years, then college, without spending any time in the world. How are you supposed to know what you want to do with your life??? It's an insane premise.

What would I do?
• Question and examine my assumptions. Do I hate it because I'm bad at it, or because it lacks meaning because the projects aren't exciting? If I am bad at something, I can remedy that in short order. Give me 2 months and I can make giant steps forward. If the projects are uninteresting, then what would be an interesting project? Do you like making things, or do you like selling things? One requires programming skills, the other requires people skills.

• Get tough. Seth Godin calls your situation The Dip. It is something that happens when you are close to finishing something big, or when you are close to a breakthrough. The dip is there because if it wasn't, it would be easy and everyone else would be doing it. Starting a business is torturous. It is the worst shit ever, because you already broke through "reality" and realized you are surround by sheeple, living some shitty scripted life. Then, you have the audacity to start your own thing, and everyone tries to pull you down. It's hard enough to push through failures while you are building a business, but then you have negative poeple and dipshit zombies that pile on, severly testing the limits of your confidence, discipline, patience, and your deepest held beliefs. Think school is hard? I went through basic military training, and building a business is harder.

• Everyone needs a purpose. what's yours? Hint: orient yourself towards the highest good you can think of. Maybe your skills would really benefit clean tech / green tech. Maybe using tech to support agriculture challenges, maybe help fight tyranny wherever it lives. Having this degree gives you power. A power that almost everyone DOES NOT HAVE. What good can you do with it? What problems can you solve for someone else?

• Your world turns upside down when you put others first. That's what gives your life meaning. I swear if your heart is in the right place and you genuinely find a need and you map out how you can help someone solve their problem, your life gains meaning and you will work 18 hour days to gain the necessary skills to make things happen, and your talent and skill will multiply.

• Know yourself. dig deep. figure out your mission. what makes you work. what makes you happy, what makes you miserable. write it out. create a balance sheet. figure out all of the talents you have and how you can put them to good use. Get a firm grip on who you are, so when you decide to do something inspired, you can push through all of the resistance and naysayers.

• I can't tell you what to do, but I am a firm believer that a person should not waste a day doing something they hate, but in this case, you are almost finished with something that will be a great asset to have. Using that logic, you are not wasting your time, because every day you are learning a very valuable skill, a skill that very few people have. It doesn't matter if there are better students in your class, you aren't competing with them, because you will be busy solving other people's problems (you did read TMF , right?) You are currently in a bubble (and a hated one), but once you leave the bubble, the world opens up for you. Is this the beginning of something great, or will you see it as a death certificate?

You have what is most important: time and initiative. You can get the degree, spend your time exploring, experimenting, and finding problems to solve. Figure out where you can do the most good. What if instead of quitting you used the skills you spent so much time learning to establish your place in the world?

The work is the reward.
Never shy away from the work.

But here's the great news: you are young, you don't need to have it figured out. In fact, it would be unusual if you did. Use your twenties to experiment relentlessly. Life is a big game. It's just scaled up from elementary school. So whatever you do, it's ok. But before you make a big decision, make sure that you have your higher purpose, so you can pursue that with hunger, determination and joy.

There is another book that may clear all of this up for you:
Designing Your Life

-OR-

Just re-read The Millionaire Fastlane . Then do it again. Then again.

Last edited:

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Finish it and be grateful. You have the opportunity to get a Masters in Computer Science which is payed for and your parents are supporting you. Sorry can your life been any more handed on a plate?

G

Guest24480

Isn't this another one of those posts that is looking for life advice? NO one can give you the right answer because it's YOUR life. There are too many factors to consider outside of a 3 paragraph blurb written on the Internet.

Side note..I am astounded by the limiting beliefs exhibited by the top posts in this thread. Get a master's degree as a backup plan? Care what people think about how you make ends meet while you build your empire?

Come on I know this place is better than that. This isn't Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover forum, or as Kak likes to say, the thousandaire fastlane.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Isn't this another one of those posts that is looking for life advice? NO one can give you the right answer because it's YOUR life. There are too many factors to consider outside of a 3 paragraph blurb written on the Internet.

Side note..I am astounded by the limiting beliefs exhibited by the top posts in this thread. Get a master's degree as a backup plan? Care what people think about how you make ends meet while you build your empire?

Come on I know this place is better than that. This isn't Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover forum, or as Kak likes to say, the thousandaire fastlane.
Haha now you are talking!:)

IMO, I would only go for a Masters if I wanted to do research papers later. That doesn’t exactly make the Masters a backup plan.

And most profs at my place say to actually work some years in industry, before doing the Masters-that way, you know what to specialize more in later.

BTW wasn’t there a Gold thread around here recently on getting a programming job without a degree?:)

palneoon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
883%
Sep 24, 2019

Your post is literally the first mention of "backup plan" in the thread. We're talking about leveraging the degree.
Keep strawmanning: I'm sure this level of clear thinking is going to make you a trillionaire.

But let's review the options, shall we?
  1. Leave. Now he has to work & learn skills & start a business on the side.
  2. Stay. Now he has to study & learn skills. By the time he finishes, he has a better idea of how to move, and if he still gets a job, it's a better one. Which tires him less and gives him more time/energy to start a business on the side.
The number one skill in life is making smart decisions. Care to do a SWOT analysis?

Brass tacks, he is going to have to learn skills and start a business anyway. Might as well get the degree in the meantime and have a lighter workload while he does things on the side. This is not a limiting belief. This is simple decision making.

Let me red pill you instead.

You hallucinated the backup plan idea.
You hallucinated that actually thinking about a decision is a limiting belief.

Because you are programmed.

College = bad. Dropping out = good. Backup plan = limiting beliefs.

You haven't really considered the issue. You just ran the programs you picked up from, well, marketing ploys.

Reality:
  • A degree is an asset like any other asset. It has real, tangible value because society values it. Better to have it than not have it.
  • He has no skills to start a business he has to learn them. Easier to do while in college than on a job.
  • He doesn't know what he would do, therefore he would spend months doing nothing but researching, which he can do on the side.
I would love to see someone explain the advantages of the actual scenario of dropping out.
Something that isn't some motivational nonsense, I mean.

Lastly, speaking of beliefs: dropping out when it's a stupid idea because "you can't take it anymore" teaches your brain that it's OK to give up when things are hard. It installs terrible beliefs. Whereas sticking it out teaches your brain you can do anything.
A belief-savvy guy like you should know that.

Kraelog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 17, 2015
God, this board is so frustrating sometimes. Rant incoming.

One. Time unused is wasted.

OP has no idea what they want to do.

OP has no skills to start a business.

OP lives in Europe where without a Masters you won't get funding or credit.

OP would do nothing with this year.

But sure, uhh, time is, uhuh, invaluable.

No. That's just a meme. Time is worthless if you waste it.

Two. People who think you can drop out and start a business tomorrow are LARPers.

Literally the only people who say this crap are here roleplaying and don't take action.

To start a business takes skills.

Skills you can learn without dropping out of your free education.

Skills you can learn without alienating your whole damn family.

I don't know where this meme that you can do stuff without any skill comes from.

But it needs to die in a fire.

I mean, say he drops out... what does he do?

He learns some basics... while working a job?

A shitty job instead of the one he would get with his degree?

A shitty job that takes 3 times the hours it takes to go to University?

A shitty job that makes him a failure in the eyes of his family, putting him under x10 the pressure?

This is your advice? This is your value proposition?

Is there a big joke I don't get?

Do you people even think before dishing out #EntrepreneurHustlerLife platitudes?

I'm sorry, isn't the advice constantly "don't quit your job, start on the side"?

Uni takes less time and energy than a job.

So do that now, right? That would be the logical advice.

But no, because screw college. College is useless, hurray!

Three. Building a business is failure, pain, and suffering.

So he hates his studies. So what?

That's a hard life? GTFO.

You people think he can tough it out in the market with this attitude?

OP could get another 5 years degree he hates and it would be easier than building a business.

He's feeling bad?

It's nothing close to how bad he will feel after he drops out, fails a couple of times, and considers himself a failure, judged by everyone around him.

"What happened to jerryB? He had such potential! Threw it all away."

People who went through the same thing know what I'm talking about.

People who didn't, don't get it.

That's all I'm saying.

No, they aren't. That's not what the sunk cost fallacy is.

Since you want to use the big words, we are saying that the marginal cost of getting the degree is small compared to the value of the degree, especially considering that since OP has no idea what to do, the opportunity cost is actually null. And since he would do nothing but fret on this board asking about this and that business model he has discovered yesterday, and which he's not remotely competent enough to put into action, he should get the degree instead.

Also OP lives in Europe. People in Europe care about Masters a crapload more than in the US.

At least in some places in the EU people actually ask you about your degree before doing business with you.
Not hiring you. Doing business with your company. Your successful company.

It entitles to a lot of status, and that matters a lot.

But sure, #HustleCultureLiveYourBestLife instead.

That's the only smart way to make this kind of decision.

And the reason why you can't tolerate it is that you emotionally decided you are done with it.

If you really couldn't tolerate it, you wouldn't have tolerated it for four years.

Look at it this way.

Is it smart to make decisions when you're not emotionally stable?

Fix your mindset and emotional problems. Then decide.

X1000 times this.

I quit my job a long time ago to "explore" and "live the dream" and build a "business". An online translation business. What happened?

1. I knew jack shit about sales, so I did not manage to sell shit.
2. My "business" had competition from millions of people since the barrier to entry was "I speak 1 language and understand another".
3. I had to work through middlemen since in Europe every business required a Master in Translation before they would do business with me.
4. I lacked any discipline or backbone to work long hours. Turns out "living the dream" equals procrastinating until the end of time.

After a year I closed down business and went back to a job. To learn some goddamn valuable skills.

@jerryB
Whether you like or hate studying programming is completely irrelevant. Regardless what your goal in life is, as long as it is something worthwhile, you will have to do endless amounts of stupid shit you hate in order to get an inch closer to your end goal.

The entire "Hakuna Matata Life Your Dream" nonsense propagated by some is just hoping vainly that by running away from painful & hard things, you will somehow end up with endless exciting vacations of "fun" you call a "business". You won't.

So my respectful advice to you is to grind your teeth and just F*cking do it.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Your post is literally the first mention of "backup plan" in the thread. We're talking about leveraging the degree.
Keep strawmanning: I'm sure this level of clear thinking is going to make you a trillionaire.

2. Stay. Now he has to study & learn skills. By the time he finishes, he has a better idea of how to move, and if he still gets a job, it's a better one. Which tires him less and gives him more time/energy to start a business on the side.
The number one skill in life is making smart decisions. Care to do a SWOT analysis?

Brass tacks, he is going to have to learn skills and start a business anyway. Might as well get the degree in the meantime and have a lighter workload while he does things on the side. This is not a limiting belief. This is simple decision making.

You haven't really considered the issue. You just ran the programs you picked up from, well, marketing ploys.

Reality:
  • A degree is an asset like any other asset. It has real, tangible value because society values it. Better to have it than not have it.
  • He has no skills to start a business he has to learn them. Easier to do while in college than on a job.
  • He doesn't know what he would do, therefore he would spend months doing nothing but researching, which he can do on the side.
I would love to see someone explain the advantages of the actual scenario of dropping out.

Lastly, speaking of beliefs: dropping out when it's a stupid idea because "you can't take it anymore" teaches your brain that it's OK to give up when things are hard. It installs terrible beliefs. Whereas sticking it out teaches your brain you can do anything.

100%.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
The advice in the first reply is the best imho.

Just finish it. In 5 years you'll look back and be like thank God I was done with it.

After that just go and do what you feel like. It's only a year from now.

G

Guest24480

Reality:

Not even going to waste my time responding to this nonsense.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
I got my bachelors in electrical and mechanical engineering. Only thing worth from it is saying it.

I also hated it and was the least suited person in my course. They were all doing placemtents with big tech companies some even with NASA.

But now I can do a tech sales job which is something wherein my abilities and interests lie in more so.

You’re not the only one that chose a degree they hated bc it has good job prospects. There’s way more stupid shit you could’ve wasted your time in.

Btw I went to uni in Scotland and was also free.
I need your help with a design that requires mechanical engineering know how. Please contact me if your interested. Thanks Zach

jerryB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
May 25, 2018
I'm back after a few months. I decided to tell about what I decided.

So..I decided to quit the university. I've got my bachelor's degree. I quit in the middle of my 2-year master studies. Parents were angry at first, now they are sad because "I was so close to graduating" whereas I couldn't care less about this degree.

Those studies were literally making me sick. Constant stress, assignments, exams - I couldn't handle these anymore since CS wasn't even my field of interest. Going there everyday, doing things I hate was literally driving me nuts and giving me depression.

I decided to turn my life upside down and start something completely new. Something I know I can provide value with and thus make money on it.

My final advice for people in a similar situation? If you want to be free from 9-5, have your own business, run your own thing, be responsible for yourself, live without a boss and you have slowlane parents - don't listen to them. Obviously they want you to be happy and to live a stable life, like every parents, but probably their definition of happiness is different than yours. And honestly - you'll never be happy if you don't take responsibility for your own decisions. I was feeling like my life was owned by other people and thus I was getting more and more depressed because they were pushing me towards something I didn't really want doing. When I finally decided to make my own decision and stopped listening to advices from others I felt and immediate relief and it still feels amazing.

Good luck guys.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I'm back after a few months. I decided to tell about what I decided.

So..I decided to quit the university. I've got my bachelor's degree. I quit in the middle of my 2-year master studies. Parents were angry at first, now they are sad because "I was so close to graduating" whereas I couldn't care less about this degree.

Those studies were literally making me sick. Constant stress, assignments, exams - I couldn't handle these anymore since CS wasn't even my field of interest. Going there everyday, doing things I hate was literally driving me nuts and giving me depression.

I decided to turn my life upside down and start something completely new. Something I know I can provide value with and thus make money on it.

My final advice for people in a similar situation? If you want to be free from 9-5, have your own business, run your own thing, be responsible for yourself, live without a boss and you have slowlane parents - don't listen to them. Obviously they want you to be happy and to live a stable life, like every parents, but probably their definition of happiness is different than yours. And honestly - you'll never be happy if you don't take responsibility for your own decisions. I was feeling like my life was owned by other people and thus I was getting more and more depressed because they were pushing me towards something I didn't really want doing. When I finally decided to make my own decision and stopped listening to advices from others I felt and immediate relief and it still feels amazing.

Good luck guys.
Good on you for making your own decisions and moves.
Thanks for the update!

As long as you can get your first customer and earn money in some way, without requiring the Masters, you are pretty set to go!

On the other hand, a Masters is better off pursued after a few years in the workplace.
That can be as long as 5-6 years, from what I see in my own university.
Working in the real world gives a better sense of direction on what to study and research in Masters.

But IMO, during those 5-6 years of working, most folks would be able to amass some good connections and records on the resume. That might very well make the Masters irrelevant.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.