The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trying to get in the fastlane while my wife rides the slowlane

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
a little recap of whats going on with me, I have heating and cooling franchise that I consider to be a slowlane venture. I am putting alot of time and effort into this venture, and its been a struggle to profit from. Its a job that barely pays, I want to move into the fast lane. I am in too deep with this business and feel I have to continue in order to dig myself out.

I want to start something on the side so that I can someday get rid of my heating business. I have been doing it 3 years and beside doing 400K in yearly sales, I am the last to get paid. Royality fees are not killing me, but they are not helping either

I've have learned alot since buying a franchise, but I wouldn't do it again.

I am constantly trying to educate myself through books and online research to better myself so that I can find something I can eventually turn my focus too

I try to share with my wife the vision I have for our future, passive income, free to live anywhere, debt free, and free from the 9-5.

She doesn't have the entrepreneur mindset. She has no desire to achieve anything higher than her current job, I on the other hand want a life that none of my family or friends have ever thought of, I have trained my mind to believe anything is possible, I want what most of us on this forum want

We don't always see things the same way, she says I am a dreamer. why can't I be happy with what we have. she says.

We have the typical middle class life. 2 cars, nice house, stuff, food on the table, and of course the debt.

She enjoys the comfort of a secure income from a job. I can't talk to her about the ideas I have in my mind, she humours me but doesn't show the support I wish she did.

I talked about giving up my heating business and she asked me where I was going to go to work, not fully understanding that I wouldn't go back to being an employee unless it was temporary. She doesn't understand how I have changed and wont go back

I am trying to get into the fast lane alone.

Anyone in the same car alone? how do you handle it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
You just need to realize it is not her thing and keep your ideas to your online fastlane friends.

I for the most part never talk business at home.. Great day - Bad day, same thing. My wife doesn't get it either.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You just need to realize it is not her thing and keep your ideas to your online fastlane friends.

I for the most part never talk business at home.. Great day - Bad day, same thing. My wife doesn't get it either.

I was wondering if you were married... I don't know why I was wondering this lol

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Yup, I can relate to this, alright. My husband is wonderful, funny, interesting, etc., but I can see his eyes glaze over when I start talking about passive income or my current wealth-generation idea. But to be fair, I probably give him the same look when he talks about elk-hunting.

All I can say is, "Thank goodness for this forum!"

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Lol yeah I think many of us can relate to this situation. My wife has actually been fairly supportive over the years, but there have been times where we had hardships and she just wanted me go give up the entrepreneur mentality and get a "real job".

It comes down to the fundamentals of instant vs. delayed gratification, plus the fear of "instability".

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

ErrandRunnerUSA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 16, 2012
Los Alamitos
I had a discussion about this with my business partner the other day. Two of my business partners are single and finding a fastlane minded chick at their age might be rare--hopefully I'm wrong!!! This is a tough subject. I am lucky because my fiancee and I are a team. We are creating Errand Runner USA together with two of our friends; usually not a good idea to have a business with friends, but I emphasize having a clear communication at all times.

I have studied psychology for years and read/educated myself on the differences between sexes. I could be wrong, but I believe a partner should be supportive of their spouse (in your case). What is wrong with wanting more and being the best you you can be? Why not reach for the stars?

The best piece of advice I can give you (if you haven't tried this already) talk to her about how important this is for you. Say something like, "Honey, I need you to listen to me and not interrupt me. I will let you know when I am done talking. I love you very much. I know you think I am crazy for trying to start my own business, but I really need your support. You may not believe in my business but I need you to believe in me. I love the way things are now, but I feel I can be a better man if I start my own business." Use your feelings when you talk to your wife--not opinions or logic, FEELINGS!!!!

Women relate to feelings more than opinions or logic.
Men relate more to logic or opinions than feelings.

The point is: speak from your heart and tell your wife the truth. If you feel belittled or hurt by her actions, tell her. Do not be afraid to tell her you're true feelings! Don't be afraid to be vulnerable in front of her. She is your wife/your partner.

I hope this helps! Good luck!!!

ErrandRunnerUSA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 16, 2012
Los Alamitos
She enjoys the comfort of a secure income from a job. I can't talk to her about the ideas I have in my mind, she humours me but doesn't show the support I wish she did.

Oh geez, I almost forgot something crucial!!! Tell her what supporting looks like. Example, "Honey, you're support means everything to me. Do you feel like this is something you can support me on?"

Wait for her reply.

If no, you need to tell her how you feel at that exact moment. How does her no make you feel?

If yes: "May I tell you how you can support me and what it looks like?"

Wait for her response.

"Supporting me would look like you listening to my business idea without calling me a dreamer." Or,"I would feel supported if you hugged me and whispered 'I believe in you' in my ear after I talked about my business plans."

Check out Alison Armstrong's website if you need further help.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/cUW7GvCJPsA[/video]

:)

PS: The problem is NOT that we don't get support at all, it's always the matter that we look for support for a certain thing especially in the wrong people.

Think about this. Basically this is very emotional weak behaviour.

When you want to start a web business and get rich, why look for support and talk about this with your girlfriend?

When you know you get support by thousands if not million like-minded people all over the world?

Why do most people want to talk about football with their spouse, or mother? All emotional, not logical behaviour.

We should take every person that loves us as what it is and learn to love without the need of sharing everything and trying them to be interested in every thing we're interested. And of course we need the people around us that understand this and don't try to make us be interested in everything they are when we're just not, because everyone has different interests.

The solution is not to try to change somebody and it's not to argue with them, get divorced or don't call your mother anymore.

Know LOGICALLY where to look for like-minded people and they will support and understand your specific interest way more than those that just do it for emotional pressure 'because i love you, i try to act as if...'

ErrandRunnerUSA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 16, 2012
Los Alamitos
Hi TK,

I do not agree with the you-tube video completely.

Men and women experience so much miscommunication because we are so different. We think differently, behave differently, and are raised differently. "I just don't get home until midnight and I work on weekends too. I work every day and she said to me a week ago that if I don't change this, if I don't put more balance into my life, she's gonna leave."--around 50 seconds in the video. She wants more of his time and FEELS neglected.

This would have been a great time to negotiate. Ask her, "what would a balanced life look like?" "How many hours do I need to spend with you in order to make you FEEL SPECIAL." Wait for her answer and then tell her if you are willing to supply that or not. The guy should not have initiated a relationship if he wasn't willing to dedicate some time. He wasted his and her time; time is extremely precious to women. We can't have babies up to a certain age (biological clock). Guys can have kids anytime; guys do not have a biological clock ticking (a countdown). If a woman doesn't feel special or appreciated, she's gone.

If you are fighting so hard to create a business, why not fight for love? Why not reach for the stars and have it all? I promise you you can. Like business, relationships take research/education, trial & error, time, and effort.

I agree with what you said TK. I do not agree with the video.

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
My wife doesn't understand why i want to be rich. I want to be rich so we can have freedom to truly live life to the fullest and not spend 40 years wage slaving our way into a retirement we cant afford

When I talk about getting into the millionaire mindset shes just not on board. Or interested.

She cant even tell me how she would live her life if she had all the time and money she ever needed to live life to the fullest

Should I just push forward without trying to include her in the process?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Should I just push forward without trying to include her in the process?

Yes and no. I'd include her by sharing brief updates, especially when it's good news, but if you're expecting her to contribute ideas or enthusiasm, you might be disappointed. Try not to take it personally, and channel your frustration into action. Who knows, a dose of success might be just the thing to get your wife on-board!

OpenRoadSong

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 1, 2012
MA
My wife doesn't understand why i want to be rich. I want to be rich so we can have freedom to truly live life to the fullest and not spend 40 years wage slaving our way into a retirement we cant afford

When I talk about getting into the millionaire mindset shes just not on board. Or interested.

Hi XavierYZ,

I just registered so I could reply to your post... have you tried asking her to read TMF with you?

I'm generally suspicious of any kind of "get rich"/self help books, so when my boyfriend asked me to read TMF he had a bit of a time convincing me. But it was so obviously important to him that I finally caved, and once I started reading I got the adrenaline rush you see a lot of folks describe on here, and I could see whole new worlds opening up before me. The link between money and freedom had never been spelled out for me in that way, it was a total paradigm shift. And it was fun to be able to discuss different fastlane topics with him as they came up throughout the book.

It's hard to shake off the slowlane mindset - I've been embedded in it my whole life! - but that experience has really helped me be more supportive of him. I can now imagine possibilities for us that I never would have dreamed of before.

I really hope you can help her understand a bit better where you're coming from, I think it would be very hard to undertake a fastlane venture without having some level of support from your partner... maybe you could try introducing her to this forum too?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
My wife rides in the NO lane :)

She does not like to work. I on the other hand love it. It works for us.

So I work and she doesn't. She was an atty in her home country and was very successful and well off but the degree/license is worth nothing here in the USA.

Just think all the ladies out there you missed out on a guy willing to bring home the bacon and you can stay home if you like and you don't even have to take care of any children lol

XavierYZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jan 23, 2012
Somewhere in Ontario
Openroadsong

Thanks for taking the time to register. I have asked her to read it, and she said she would as soon as she finishes her current book. Which will be soon. I will let you know how it goes

Welcome to the forums

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Money talks, bullshit walks.

Issac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 16, 2012
Elk Grove California
XavierYZ, I say ditch the bitch. LOL just kidding man. I have been feeling the same way. I tell my wife everything I want for us in the future and everything I am going to do to get us there. It seems like it's IMPOSSIBLE to motivate her. Or to get her as excited as I am about the future. I sometimes feel like this might affect our marriage in a negative way. I want for us to so badly be a team in achieving financial freedom. But she seems like she lacks critical thinking, or has a very small mind? I think women do have a small brain "it's science" (Will Farrell Anchor Man). I guess I just want her to be interested and excited as much as I am. I'm starting to actually think I married the wrong person. We have three beautiful children together. I would hate to separate because of this. But I know how it feels to not get the support you were expecting, especially from the person you shared vows with. I'm scared that if I meet a girl who recognizes my potential, is supportive, and shares the same determination, that I might fall in love all over again. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Issac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 16, 2012
Elk Grove California
It's like starting a new chapter in life, but alone. Maybe we found the right forum to belong to? I telll you what though, I would much rather have the support and motivation from the one person I'm spending the rest of my life with, than this community. Oh well, I'll take what I can get. No offense Fastlane brothers and sisters. If this is just the beginning for me, how lonely will it be at the top?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

CTamme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 27, 2012
QC, Iowa
My wife rides in the NO lane

She does not like to work. I on the other hand love it. It works for us.

LOL. I am not in the fastlane but did get a job 4 years ago that made way more money and I gave my wife the option to stay home and take care of the kids. She wasn't so sure at first but now my running joke is I don't think I will ever get her to go back to work. She loves doing her own thing even though she is a very talented interior designer.

She is not interested in being wealthy but me making enough money for her to not work (outside the home).

JamesS88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 14, 2012
Did getting your significant other to read TMF change things for any of you? I've tried getting mine to read it for about a year. She told me she has a hard time reading so I got the audio book. Months later, still nothing. Its been disheartening, to say the least. I don't like arguing, so I don't bring it up as much anymore.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
My first wife and I had this problem also.
That is exactly why she's now my first wife.
I found some that shares my motivation and drive, if fact I have to keep up with her now.
My ex found someone that shares hers.

prime

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 16, 2012
Vienna, Virginia
My girlfriend at the moment is the same way, fastlane is not what she's about. She wants to make serious cash with the career path she is headed down, but it's a high paying career with a lot of school debt left behind. I don't talk about my business to her as much as I use too. Its actually demotivating when you tell something to your significant other and their could care less especially when your excited about it.

I don't blame her though, same reason I can careless about what her girlfriends gossip is about, I just worry about mine.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I guess I am lucky. My girlfriend and myself are both pursuing different paths but we accept and support each others journeys for the most part.

Ohmer

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2009
Florida
My wife is the same way, she doesn't care about making lots of money. Matter of fact, if I caught her reading ANY self help book over one of her hundreds of romance novels, I would probably pass out on the spot. She just doesn't think the same way as I do. I love trying to make it out of the 9 to 5, she is happy as long as we have the necessities. She will also be the first to admit though that she received absolutely no money training growing up.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Its actually demotivating when you tell something to your significant other and their could care less especially when your excited about it.

Sometimes my gf is like that, but only if shes angry at me for some reason. Generally shes very supporting, listens to all my rantings without falling to sleep and even wants to help me where she can :). Although she has a slowlane mindset right now and wants to work in a "career job" after university, but thats ok, not everybody needs to have a fastlane mindset. She's interested in building a business at some point in her life though after she gained experience in an industry, so thats great.

bukavu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 7, 2012
a little recap of whats going on with me, I have heating and cooling franchise that I consider to be a slowlane venture. I am putting alot of time and effort into this venture, and its been a struggle to profit from. Its a job that barely pays, I want to move into the fast lane. I am in too deep with this business and feel I have to continue in order to dig myself out.

I want to start something on the side so that I can someday get rid of my heating business. I have been doing it 3 years and beside doing 400K in yearly sales, I am the last to get paid. Royality fees are not killing me, but they are not helping either

I've have learned alot since buying a franchise, but I wouldn't do it again.

I am constantly trying to educate myself through books and online research to better myself so that I can find something I can eventually turn my focus too

I try to share with my wife the vision I have for our future, passive income, free to live anywhere, debt free, and free from the 9-5.

She doesn't have the entrepreneur mindset. She has no desire to achieve anything higher than her current job, I on the other hand want a life that none of my family or friends have ever thought of, I have trained my mind to believe anything is possible, I want what most of us on this forum want

We don't always see things the same way, she says I am a dreamer. why can't I be happy with what we have. she says.

We have the typical middle class life. 2 cars, nice house, stuff, food on the table, and of course the debt.

I talked about giving up my heating business and she asked me where I was going to go to work, not fully understanding that I wouldn't go back to being an employee unless it was temporary. She doesn't understand how I have changed and wont go back

I am trying to get into the fast lane alone.

Anyone in the same car alone? how do you handle it.

I am in a similar situation (kind of)
I am trying hard to improve our lives (wife, kids and I) but she makes it very hard for me.
We use to have regular income coming in, with everything we need to make month ends meet, then go back to zero, plus credit cards and loans to repay.

9 months into business and making profits, the problem is she spends everything we get on top for useless life styles, I wouldn't mind if we were already to the level projected in my dream, but as starters that's killing the process.

Moreover she doesn't believe in my dreams, when I say for example that I'll have to buy an helicopter to be moving from one city to another, she laugh uncontrollably as if I was the best comedian in the world.

It's sad because I left my first partner for her slow thinking ways and blocking my pursuit of my dream to have enough saved (before I get old) for a good retirement and for the kids when they grow up (and even now) but it seems like if I keep on looking at the low level of my partners dreams I will end up alone.

What one should do in that situation? I wonder. But I'm sure I can make anything I want to happen in my life HAPPEN.
One way or another.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.