The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Travelling in the fastlane

Anything related to matters of the mind

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
It has always been my dream to travel the world, however I had planned on doing so once I had created a passive income stream, in a sense as a reward as well as being able to travel without financial worry.

Recently, however I have began to realise how much mindset development is important in the fastlane, and feel that the need to travel is becoming stronger and stronger.

I am about to start a new job where the pay is significantly better, and I will be able to travel the world in a year or less if I save. Of course in the meantime I aim for my business ventures to become profitable, however I have a strong feeling that changing my environment will help me exponentially.

My question is: For those who have spent time travelling, how has it effected your fastlane pursuits?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
It has always been my dream to travel the world, however I had planned on doing so once I had created a passive income stream, in a sense as a reward as well as being able to travel without financial worry.

Recently, however I have began to realise how much mindset development is important in the fastlane, and feel that the need to travel is becoming stronger and stronger.

I am about to start a new job where the pay is significantly better, and I will be able to travel the world in a year or less if I save. Of course in the meantime I aim for my business ventures to become profitable, however I have a strong feeling that changing my environment will help me exponentially.

My question is: For those who have spent time travelling, how has it effected your fastlane pursuits?

Travel broadens your horizons. It lets you see how problems have been solved in other cultures, and what problems exist in other cultures.

For example, being in the Philippines, you see a whole new set of problems that need solving.

In the UK, you notice some problems are solved that are not solved in the US (for example, grocery deliveries).

And in places like Belgium or Spain, you can see that business is an afterthought in a lot of ways.

And in Japan and Seoul, people are mega advanced with their hand held tech.

I found that traveling to 35+ states and a few dozen countries on different continents.

I believe travel to be a crucial part to expanding your life and mindset and seeing what is possible. That's just me though.

nebuer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Feb 9, 2014
Depends what you mean by "traveling"

For me I need an extended period, at least 3 months, in one country to get in a routine and really get some work done.

I've done the "move to a new country every week or two" thing and it's FUN... but there's no way I can get any work done with that.

I'm currently in Bangkok and have been for over a year. But to me this feels more like home, and not 'traveling'.. despite being out of my home country.

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Depends what you mean by "traveling"

For me I need an extended period, at least 3 months, in one country to get in a routine and really get some work done.

I've done the "move to a new country every week or two" thing and it's FUN... but there's no way I can get any work done with that.

I'm currently in Bangkok and have been for over a year. But to me this feels more like home, and not 'traveling'.. despite being out of my home country.

My aim is to see the world whilst developing myself intellectually and spiritually. I love to party but by no means would I spend all of my time doing so. Living in Thailand whilst working on a business would be a dream come true, however I have a great fear that I will achieve nothing and return to the UK with no money and little in terms of job prospects.

Did you start your venture before making the leap or during?

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
My aim is to see the world whilst developing myself intellectually and spiritually. I love to party but by no means would I spend all of my time doing so. Living in Thailand whilst working on a business would be a dream come true, however I have a great fear that I will achieve nothing and return to the UK with no money and little in terms of job prospects.

I should say: Did you travel after you became profitable??

nebuer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Feb 9, 2014

Well I played online poker for a few years, and had a fair bit of savings from that.. so I've used that to bankroll me while I get off the ground with other businesses.

I started traveling before I was making enough.. and built everything from the ground up while doing so (still working on it now).

If you have a fear that you'll fail.. that's not going to change no matter where you are geographically.

Just make sure you're putting in enough work to get your business off the ground if that's what you want.. not wasting too much money in travel expenses and I don't see any reason why your plan couldn't go well.

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Thanks for the advice! Out of interest is your business online or in physical goods? My current ventures involve physical goods which is why I am hesitant at present. I really need an bordlerless company or streamlined process before I can move around.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Living in Thailand whilst working on a business would be a dream come true, however I have a great fear that I will achieve nothing and return to the UK with no money and little in terms of job prospects.

Is this fear all that is stopping you?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Travelling is great and you should definately do it if you have a fastlane busioness or not.

It seems you are after the holy grail of passive income, you should also look towards fastlane businesses that you need to work on but doesnt limit you geographically

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Is this fear all that is stopping you?

No it is a minor issue really. I had hoped to secure a mortage on a property and then rent it whilst travelling, however I think this is going to be too ambitious now. This is part of the reason I am a little hesitant, as I really wanted something to fall back on, if my fastlane ventures do not materialize in the 12 months.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I had hoped to secure a mortage on a property and then rent it whilst travelling

Whats the cashflow, keeping in mind occupancy rate and building maintenance? and the 10% management fee

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
No it is a minor issue really. I had hoped to secure a mortage on a property and then rent it whilst travelling, however I think this is going to be too ambitious now. This is part of the reason I am a little hesitant, as I really wanted something to fall back on, if my fastlane ventures do not materialize in the 12 months.
One common theme you will see here is that you need to burn your bridges.

To call out one of your limiting beliefs in particular: "if my fastlane ventures do not materialize in the 12 months".

With that attitude, they won't.

Also, you do realize, without property in the UK, you can live for pennies on the pound in someplace like Thailand or Singapore, right?

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
One common theme you will see here is that you need to burn your bridges.

To call out one of your limiting beliefs in particular: "if my fastlane ventures do not materialize in the 12 months".

With that attitude, they won't.

Also, you do realize, without property in the UK, you can live for pennies on the pound in someplace like Thailand or Singapore, right?

I totally agree, however there is a fine line between burning enough bridges to evade limiting beliefs and being reckless. Having a plan B isnt always a bad thing. Travelling for 12 months in itself breaks down many barriers in regards to limiting beliefs, so I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to have an idea of what I would do when I return from my travels, if I fail.

The property idea has definitely gone out the window! I originally estimated that if I got £20,000 together I would be able to finance an asset that would be "safe" and give me a modest passive income. However after much research I've discovered the income would be miniscule and the investment wouldn't be as safe as I imagined! The money would be much better invested in a business and my own personal development.

You are right though. I have limiting beliefs that I need to destroy. What I do when I return from my travels is still undecided, but perhaps I do not need to worry about that yet?

Really appreciate the advice though, feedback from others is a great way to analyse your own views and opinions!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
If you are struggling to produce a fastlane business now while in the UK I doubt very much you will have much success building a business while overseas. It seems what you really want is validation for your desire to travel the world.

however I have a strong feeling that changing my environment will help me exponentially.

Changing your environment by travelling the world will have a profound effect on your outlook, understanding and mindset but this alone will not produce the secret sauce that is needed to build a fastlane business. You need to be analytical and focused and it sounds like you are having difficulty with that area right now. I'd say go travel, get it out of your system, break down those limiting beliefs and find the ideas that currently allude you. Then come back (or find a destination where you can make it happen) and focus.

If you still have the passion for travel then look for a business model that allows that. However if you are intending to work for a year before flying the coop what is stopping you pulling out all the stops and building that fastlane business in the meantime? After all that was your goal. It seems you want the reward you promised yourself first? Is that limiting beliefs or procrastination?

As it stands now you give up your job in 12 months and then very likely spend 2-3 years travelling the world (trust me 1 year won't be enough) then come back to nothing. A friend of mine did exactly that. He sold his salon, travelled the world on the proceeds then when he came back he worked in the very salon he once owned for years to get back on his feet again. Would he do it again? He said he loved the travelling but it was really hard to come back to nothing and start over so probably not.

Not trying to put a dampener on your plans. I can see you fear the same thing so maybe it's time to step it up a few gears and push like hell for the next 12 months and build something that will provide a solid income stream.

As an aside I take it you have read the 4HWW

nebuer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Feb 9, 2014
Thanks for the advice! Out of interest is your business online or in physical goods? My current ventures involve physical goods which is why I am hesitant at present. I really need an bordlerless company or streamlined process before I can move around.

I'm an Australian, living in Thailand, selling physical goods to US customers.

Depends on your business (mine is 100% online) but most likely it's just all in your head. If you want to travel... engineer your business so you can do that.

RE: burning bridges.. for me it's the best thing to do. There's no other path. I'm not stopping until I'm successful at this.

If one day it happens that I run out of cash and I'm still failing.. I'll cut all my expenses and I'll get a job at McDonalds which will make me miserable.

That's GREAT!

Why? Because I'll be 1000x as motivated to get out of it.

Now what if I had a cosy 80k/year job that I could fall back into should I fail? What happens to my motivation? I can see it being all too easy to get stuck there...

I know myself.

I know I'll never be satisfied until I'm successful in business.

I know if I ever quit, I would regret it for the rest of my life. So I'm not giving myself that option.

It's the only way.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I'm an Australian, living in Thailand, selling physical goods to US customers.

Depends on your business (mine is 100% online) but most likely it's just all in your head. If you want to travel... engineer your business so you can do that.

RE: burning bridges.. for me it's the best thing to do. There's no other path. I'm not stopping until I'm successful at this.

If one day it happens that I run out of cash and I'm still failing.. I'll cut all my expenses and I'll get a job at McDonalds which will make me miserable.

That's GREAT!

Why? Because I'll be 1000x as motivated to get out of it.

Now what if I had a cosy 80k/year job that I could fall back into should I fail? What happens to my motivation? I can see it being all too easy to get stuck there...

I know myself.

I know I'll never be satisfied until I'm successful in business.

I know if I ever quit, I would regret it for the rest of my life. So I'm not giving myself that option.

It's the only way.

It's like looking into a fastlane mirror.

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Thanks for the advice fellas. I'm going to give the next 12 months everything I've got in business and work to generate as much cash as possible.

By the way razor cut, it's not that I'm struggling by any means, or I am finding building a business hard, I just wanted to get other's perspectives on how they have maintained / built their businesses on the road. This thread has definitely inspired me to just do it. Luckily if I did have to find a job when I returned, I would not have much of a problem due to the industry which I am in. I'm also a great believer in that once you've done something once, doing it again becomes exponentially easier.

In regards to pulling out all the stops now, that is what I'm doing. Working full time and on my business non stop. I'm definitely not one of those people who quit their job without sales being made. I will quit in one years time with a business that generates enough money for me to live wherever I want.

Another benefit of working for another year is that I will have a big pile of cash to have some fun with when I quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I'm also a great believer in that once you've done something once, doing it again becomes exponentially easier.

Amen to that. That and a certain mindset is why you often see millionaires that have lost the lot get it back in no time at all. I wish you great success and look forward to hearing how things are going.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.