The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Top 20 Trends in 2017 by Trend Hunter

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Still think niche isn't the way to go @LifeTransformer?

The time for selling products to mass markets is rapidly slipping away.

The time for selling experiences is here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

They can be the same thing. I still remember listening to the CFO of Harley Davidson telling our class: Some of you mistakenly believe we sell motorcycles. We don't sell the Harley Davidson motorcycle. We sell the Harley Davidson experience.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
No. 12 - My generation sucks. But I'm happy to sell them kids toys to fund my fastlane.

Solid video, thanks for the post

My favorite is "instagrammable fitness"

I think "suspended adulthood" used to just be called "college"

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

Still think niche isn't the way to go @LifeTransformer?

Haha! I'd argue a lot of those things in the video have the potential to be mass-market. But no, niche is good.

I think it got clarified in the thread that too niche, or doing niche wrong was where those ideas (and me) F'd up.

I still think people should be careful picking niches.

You know 1 of the things I'm working on; do you not think that hits number 1 on the video? Where I want to take that could also fit into at least 2 of the other trends also if I do it right.

Also,

EXPERIENCE! Bingo!

That video also has some great Idea Sex examples in it too. Camp for kids + Adults who wanna have fun like the old days = Adult Camp!

TeaEarlGreyHot

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
I dream of one day having a business that creates not only a product and experience, but a lifestyle (think Victoria's Secret) something that inspires awe and excitement like The Paradise (the business competition in that show was so fun)...

but that's for later, when I have money and experience. Interesting video!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I dream of one day having a business that creates not only a product and experience, but a lifestyle (think Victoria's Secret) something that inspires awe and excitement like The Paradise (the business competition in that show was so fun)...

but that's for later, when I have money and experience. Interesting video!

What are you doing now?

TeaEarlGreyHot

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
@SinisterLex

Right now I do open source software development (I'm disabled and not physically well enough to work a normal job right now) and I'm flipping stuff from eBay to buyers on a forum. Occasionally, I write articles online. I'm also learning about copy/marketing, and thinking about doing web development for local businesses (I hate web development, though).

liljmoneyswag

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Nov 25, 2016
Number 10 is Condensed Content. We live in a age where information is so accessible and millennials are constantly on their smartphones consuming as much information off facebook and reddit as possible. This has definitely shorten the attention span of millennials (myself included). Most people on reddit will take the headlines as the truth and won't bother reading the articles. If you write a long a$$ blog you better make it short and simple/ or bold the important keywords bc im going to be skiming through that thing.

I guarantee most of the people who walked past this thread did not watch the video.

The nba is even considering shortening their games because millennials have short attention spans. NBA will consider shortening games due to millennial attention spans

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks for sharing, Lex! I thought the designer customization sounded particularly interesting and I am curious to see it carried out on a big scale.

The reason I shared this isn't just to show what's to come or to say "niching down" is the way to go.

It's to get you guys thinking about how things are changing right now and where they're about to be.

What opportunities might exist as a result of these new and emerging markets?

How might one of these trends open the gateway to new and different business models?

How could you improve one of these or offer an add-on just as you might sell headphones as an accessory to an iPhone?

These are the trends right now. What can you bring to the table that might be tomorrows trend? ;)

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
The reason I shared this isn't just to show what's to come or to say "niching down" is the way to go.

It's to get you guys thinking about how things are changing right now and where they're about to be.

How might one of these trends open the gateway to new and different business models?

How could you improve one of these or offer an add-on just as you might sell headphones as an accessory to an iPhone?

These are the trends right now. What can you bring to the table that might be tomorrows trend? ;)

That's what I was thinking. I wrote down my favorite ideas and my brain was going HUMMMMMMMMMMM.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What a goldmine of fascinating business ideas. Thanks, @SinisterLex. Have you read this guy's book Better and Faster? If so, do you recommend it?

Some ideas to get you guys started:
  • creative short-term rentals (adult tree houses, off-the-grid wooden cabins for a "survival" experience, etc.)
  • "suspended adulthood" places (escape rooms, houses of horror, etc.)
  • travel concierge for the wealthy elderly
  • reinventing a boring place into an "Instagrammable" one to sell an experience in addition to the main service/product (think a climbing gym looking like a real crag, a fitness gym looking like a playground for adults)
  • niched down curation play (condensing the most important and useful information, ideally to a wealthy audience that is willing to pay to save time)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What a goldmine of fascinating business ideas. Thanks, @SinisterLex. Have you read this guy's book Better and Faster? If so, do you recommend it?

Some ideas to get you guys started:
  • creative short-term rentals (adult tree houses, off-the-grid wooden cabins for a "survival" experience, etc.)
  • "suspended adulthood" places (escape rooms, houses of horror, etc.)
  • travel concierge for the wealthy elderly
  • reinventing a boring place into an "Instagrammable" one to sell an experience in addition to the main service/product (think a climbing gym looking like a real crag, a fitness gym looking like a playground for adults)
  • niched down curation play (condensing the most important and useful information, ideally to a wealthy audience that is willing to pay to save time)

I haven't read it yet, but I was just looking for the next book on my listening list and this seems like a good fit.

Thanks for sharing!

For anyone else reading this, yes I said listening. Reading is so 20th century. :D

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
fitness gym looking like a playground for adults

You might be a prophet. These things started popping up already. My sister in law is in one, they do "group play" for exercise. We're in our 30s,... but dammit if it doesn't sound kinda fun.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
You might be a prophet. These things started popping up already. My sister in law is in one, they do "group play" for exercise. We're in our 30s,... but dammit if it doesn't sound kinda fun.

I'm not surprised. Most gyms look like torture chambers. No wonder people don't exercise regularly (their lack of awareness that they don't have to go to the gym to exercise is another story).

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Good example, @LifeTransformer, though trampoline parks are dangerous as hell*. I went to a trampoline park a couple of times and both me (a guy in good shape) and my friends (of various fitness levels) had a less or more painful injury (most commonly back pain for up to 2-3 weeks, often requiring the help of a physical therapist), and we didn't do anything stupid or irresponsible (and had a warm-up prior to jumping and stretched afterwards). Then there was a kid who broke his arm (open fracture) because he fell on it. Trampolining is a lot of fun, but I imagine that if you were an owner of a trampoline park, you'd need an excellent lawyer to fend off all the lawsuits.

* Using data from a government injury surveillance system, the study authors estimate that the number of ER visits from injuries incurred at an indoor park — typically a series of connected trampolines in a big room surrounded by padded or trampoline walls — rose from fewer than 600 in 2010 to 6,932 in 2014. [source]

You'd do better opening a physical therapy center for adults with injuries suffered at the "suspended adulthood" venues haha.

Another interesting idea I've heard about recently are "rage rooms." Scientists don't really agree that venting helps deal with aggression, but it seems to be another popular trend. One article about it here:

To get over a breakup, I went to a ‘rage room’ and smashed things

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
You'd do better opening a physical therapy center for adults with injuries suffered at the "suspended adulthood" venues haha.

Another interesting idea I've heard about recently are "rage rooms." Scientists don't really agree that venting helps deal with aggression, but it seems to be another popular trend. One article about it here:

To get over a breakup, I went to a ‘rage room’ and smashed things

That could work! There's an empty unit nearby too. ;-)

"If you've just been injured next door, come to us! We'll fix you up!"

Rage room thing seems to be spreading too you're right. Axe throwing is another one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.