The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To Pivot or Not to Pivot?

tpjay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 19, 2016
Connecticut
Hello enlightened entrepreneurs,

I am having a problem. I do not know when I should pivot or keep going with the business. Shutting down is not an option at this point because I don't want to give up since I know this will be a long and hard journey to bring value to people.

I have begun to develop an online marketplace and have only been able to put a single product on there (a friends product) and am currently emailing back and forth another person who could potentially be a seller on my website. I am trying all types of ways to entice people with products to begin selling on my website with little luck. I also don't want to pivot too early and give up on the opportunity of getting this client.

I have created the value and am in the 'desert of desertion'. I have received some feedback but nothing solid enough.

My question is what experiences have you had surrounding pivots? Good or bad. When do you know you should pivot?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hello enlightened entrepreneurs,

I am having a problem. I do not know when I should pivot or keep going with the business. Shutting down is not an option at this point because I don't want to give up since I know this will be a long and hard journey to bring value to people.

I have begun to develop an online marketplace and have only been able to put a single product on there (a friends product) and am currently emailing back and forth another person who could potentially be a seller on my website. I am trying all types of ways to entice people with products to begin selling on my website with little luck. I also don't want to pivot too early and give up on the opportunity of getting this client.

I have created the value and am in the 'desert of desertion'. I have received some feedback but nothing solid enough.

My question is what experiences have you had surrounding pivots? Good or bad. When do you know you should pivot?

Is your business filling a need? Can it fill a need?

If not then pivot now.

Otherwise try different ways of making it work and figure out if it's worth the effort to make it work.

tpjay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 19, 2016
Connecticut
Is your business filling a need? Can it fill a need?

If not then pivot now.

Otherwise try different ways of making it work and figure out if it's worth the effort to make it work.

I have a need but I feel like my reasoning for it is faint and people fail to see why they need to bother. I'll be rereading the chapter on Need now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Your realization to pivot should come from measured feedback from your market. Read The Lean Startup for some good info on this.
I am trying all types of ways to entice people with products to begin selling on my website with little luck.
It makes me question if you are providing any value to your customers when you use the word "entice". With a good product, there should be no convincing or enticing, there should be a clear benefit provided to the customer and in exchange you receive compensation for the value you provide.

I have a need but I feel like my reasoning for it is faint and people fail to see why they need to bother.
Why waste time on a product that fulfills a faint need? Why not find a seriously painful problem and solve that instead -- then you can quit "enticing" people to come on board.

Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Always follow this rule What's in it for me?

You said that you are trying to get other products on your website to sell. Why would someone want to put their product on your site? What is in it for them?

How many of the first product have you sold? Why have you sold that many? Why have you not sold more?

Right now you need to focus on selling that one product, selling the hell out of it. Because what you can show other people that you could sell their product well, it's obvious what's in it for them.

tpjay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 19, 2016
Connecticut
Always follow this rule What's in it for me?

You said that you are trying to get other products on your website to sell. Why would someone want to put their product on your site? What is in it for them?

How many of the first product have you sold? Why have you sold that many? Why have you not sold more?

Right now you need to focus on selling that one product, selling the hell out of it. Because what you can show other people that you could sell their product well, it's obvious what's in it for them.
I think you're right @Scot . I did start this business for a reason I felt was being under served and it definitely is a reverse logic of what the crowd it doing which is where I found the opportunity, doing the opposite. Thanks. Ill have to prove the concept with this ove product and then others will come through a gravitational pull.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.