The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To get the name out there

JamesC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 16, 2017
Nevada
I launched a new website and want to know the best ways to get the name out there. How do you get the name out there?

Ideas I had:

Go hold a sign by the road
Hand out a business card to everyone
Spam facebook and ask frends to do the same (already doing with little to no success)

Beyond that I am stumped. I need people to create content and need content to get users. What came first the chicken or the egg haha.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
I launched a new website and want to know the best ways to get the name out there. How do you get the name out there?

Ideas I had:

Go hold a sign by the road
Hand out a business card to everyone
Spam facebook and ask frends to do the same (already doing with little to no success)

Beyond that I am stumped. I need people to create content and need content to get users. What came first the chicken or the egg haha.

Good question mate - this is the first problem all businesses run into. How do people hear about us?

My take - think about the audience, and your method will come naturally.

Holding a sign by the road - who are you targeting here? If I stroll down Uptown and hold a sign advertising my business, I'm targeting "people who live around Uptown Dallas"

Passing out business cards - "Dallas-area professionals"

Facebook posts - "People who I know on Facebook" (as you know, the typical asking friends to repost and repost ploy doesn't usually yield too many great results.)

So let's flip this around.

Who is your website meant to target? Who is actually buying products from you? @Andy Black has a great write up somewhere on how to find this exact information with Google AdWords.

Are you selling Duck Dynasty fangear and apparel? Then it might make the most sense to use Facebook Ads and targeting the Duck Dynasty page.

Are you selling a vegan-friendly cookbook full of different pasta recipes? Maybe it makes most sense to advertise on the /r/vegan subreddit!

Or - if you have truly NO idea where to start, Gabriel Weinberg (from DuckDuckGo fame) has a wonderful book called Traction that lists several methods of bringing attention to your business. Shotgun those to see what works and what doesn't.

Cheers!

Adure

JamesC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 16, 2017
Nevada
Good question mate - this is the first problem all businesses run into. How do people hear about us?

My take - think about the audience, and your method will come naturally.

Holding a sign by the road - who are you targeting here? If I stroll down Uptown and hold a sign advertising my business, I'm targeting "people who live around Uptown Dallas"

Passing out business cards - "Dallas-area professionals"

Facebook posts - "People who I know on Facebook" (as you know, the typical asking friends to repost and repost ploy doesn't usually yield too many great results.)

So let's flip this around.

Who is your website meant to target? Who is actually buying products from you? @Andy Black has a great write up somewhere on how to find this exact information with Google AdWords.

Are you selling Duck Dynasty fangear and apparel? Then it might make the most sense to use Facebook Ads and targeting the Duck Dynasty page.

Are you selling a vegan-friendly cookbook full of different pasta recipes? Maybe it makes most sense to advertise on the /r/vegan subreddit!

Or - if you have truly NO idea where to start, Gabriel Weinberg (from DuckDuckGo fame) has a wonderful book called Traction that lists several methods of bringing attention to your business. Shotgun those to see what works and what doesn't.

Cheers!

Adure

Thanks for the reply. Currently the site doesn't sell anything it is a type of social networking website. I just want to get users on there. Basically you make up or join challenges and people post pictures comments, video is in the works and then you earn points if your friends do them as well.

I guess my target audience would be 18 to 30 or so. Also fitness people I think would find it very appealing.

I will try to get my hands on that Traction book.

Thanks again

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I think you solved your biggest problem. You said, "I guess my target audience would be 18 to 30 or so. Also fitness people I think would find it very appealing.". That is no answer, that's a guess. YOU need to know that answer before you can go any further. Until YOU know what that answer is, HOW can you go any further? Why only 18-30? Why fitness people? What exactly are fitness people and why them?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
There is this super powerful secret ninja growth hack trick that I read about a few weeks back.

It's goes something like this....

Create something remarkable, sensational, breathtaking, exceptional and the people that get in touch with your brand or product will spread the word for you.

To learn more read "Purple Cow".

----------------------------------

So the question is then, do you have something worth talking about.... or are you just another "me too" company that's selling the 20th XYZ in a local area, or the 100,000,000th ABC on the internet.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.