The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts on multi tasking?

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I was curious to get peoples thoughts on multi tasking with these sort of examples.

Listening to music while coding
Reading a article on one monitor while watching an important video on another monitor.
reading a book while listening to music

Does anyone feel these sorts of habits are deadly if want to be productive as possible? I know it sounds like a silly question but I ask because when I am watching a video I can sorta do both with 2 monitors. Or is the risk in drifting away bits at a time potentially missing important information?

I was thinking of turning this into a habit of only doing one thing, but I tend to do something like looking at articles while watching a video to keep my boredom levels down.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
I was curious to get peoples thoughts on multi tasking with these sort of examples.

Reading a article on one monitor while watching an important video on another monitor.

Does anyone feel these sorts of habits are deadly if want to be productive as possible? I know it sounds like a silly question but I ask because when I am watching a video I can sorta do both with 2 monitors. Or is the risk in drifting away bits at a time potentially missing important information?

I was thinking of turning this into a habit of only doing one thing, but I tend to do something like looking at articles while watching a video to keep my boredom levels down.
My experience is that listening to music while reading or coding is fine WHEN the music is familiar. New music ruins it for me.

Reading an article and watching a video at the same time? No way for me at least!

Deep Work by Cal Newport have some tips on this..

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
It has never worked for me. I need to dive-in to one thing.

Someone correct me here, but the original idea of multi-tasking came from computers, right? And it's not that computers can actually multi-task but rather that they break-up the work they're doing into small chunks and just switch really fast?

Anyway - I've tried it and I'm terrible at it. And if I need to be creative or am editing, forget it. Maybe some mundane work. I greatly prefer to focus on something, finish, and move-on.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
They talk about multi-tasking in the book The One Thing and there's a lot of research to suggest that multi-tasking is actually very inefficient and also, that the multi-tasker is very unlikely to be able to recognise the inefficiencies. From my own experience, I would have to agree with them.

The one area that I don't think this is true, and again I've read research to back this up, is when one of the tasks is very boring. e.g. repetitive in nature (e.g. washing up) where it can be done with almost zero input from your concious brain. Then listening to music will stop the mind wandering and help get the job done.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I multitask when what I'm doing isn't particularly mentally taxing.

I don't consider this multitasking. When I would code a lot, I'd listen to classical or video game soundtracks, as they would help me focus. Music with lyrics would distract me though

Things like answering emails though I can do while reading something, or when I'm gaming, I can read or answer emails in between matches.

Just do what works for you, and if you can boost you productivity, great.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
They talk about multi-tasking in the book The One Thing and there's a lot of research to suggest that multi-tasking is actually very inefficient and also, that the multi-tasker is very unlikely to be able to recognise the inefficiencies. From my own experience, I would have to agree with them.

The one area that I don't think this is true, and again I've read research to back this up, is when one of the tasks is very boring. e.g. repetitive in nature (e.g. washing up) where it can be done with almost zero input from your concious brain. Then listening to music will stop the mind wandering and help get the job done.

I usually cite Keller's book. Great stuff.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK

I think it depends on the person and the task.

I personally find that doing tasks that require me to concentrate really hard and figure something out music distracts me, but when I brainstorm and do more creative tasks, music helps me then.

I think someone has said it, but the book The One Thing - Gary Keller is quality for this subject.

How you getting on in trying to decide what to do btw?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can listen to a podcast while driving, walking, or ironing.

I can't listen to a podcast while writing, reading, shopping, or making sandwiches. Or when driving and lost...

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

TheodoreA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 16, 2017
Guildford, UK
I like to combine two useful tasks if possible, e.g. listening to an audio book/podcasts whilst working/exercising. If it's a fairly important task however, I would recommend avoiding being distracted.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I like to combine two useful tasks if possible, e.g. listening to an audio book/podcasts whilst working/exercising. If it's a fairly important task however, I would recommend avoiding being distracted.
I have read of the habit of eating sunflower seeds while doing stuff like watching a video, it is a more effective method. You don't really need to focus on eating seeds and you can look at the video while doing it.

Anuj Raman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Nov 1, 2017
INDIA
I'd like to explain this with an analogy.

The best way to burn a paper/leaf with the help of magnifying glass and sun-rays is to keep the magnifying glass still in one place for a period of time and let the sun-ray do rest of the work. After sometime you can see a spark in the leaf/paper and then suddenly the leaf/paper is on fire.

Focus works the same way. The longer you can keep your focus on one task and one task only, the more efficiently you'll be able to do the work.
In terms of an equation: Work Accomplished = Time Spent x Intensity

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm pretty sure every study ever done has concluded that multitasking is largely a myth and single tasking is ridiculous superior in every way.

I know when I'm writing copy I need to be fully present or nothing gets done. 3 hours worth of writing might take me 6. Or two days. Or three.

When I'm reading I'll re-read the same passages again and again if I have music on vs getting everything the first time if I have it off.

Great work gets done when you hit that "flow" and that flow doesn't come easily without some serious blinders up to anything unrelated.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I'm pretty sure every study ever done has concluded that multitasking is largely a myth and single tasking is ridiculous superior in every way.

I know when I'm writing copy I need to be fully present or nothing gets done. 3 hours worth of writing might take me 6. Or two days. Or three.

When I'm reading I'll re-read the same passages again and again if I have music on vs getting everything the first time if I have it off.

Great work gets done when you hit that "flow" and that flow doesn't come easily without some serious blinders up to anything unrelated.
Interesting.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I'd like to explain this with an analogy.

The best way to burn a paper/leaf with the help of magnifying glass and sun-rays is to keep the magnifying glass still in one place for a period of time and let the sun-ray do rest of the work. After sometime you can see a spark in the leaf/paper and then suddenly the leaf/paper is on fire.

Focus works the same way. The longer you can keep your focus on one task and one task only, the more efficiently you'll be able to do the work.
In terms of an equation: Work Accomplished = Time Spent x Intensity
Very interesting.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
The Psychology of Music: Why Music Plays a Big Role in What You Buy

Thought this might interest you OP ^^^

I intentionally have fast paced music in my stores (but not too loudly), because my service standards require speed and both my customers and employees move faster when it is playing. It's a noticeable difference for sure.

(top 40 fast paced pop. Freakin' Justin Bieber man, seriously. Lot's of respect for him building his empire, but my gosh is his music annoying lol)

Anyway, just studies like this lead me to believe that multi-tasking is largely nonsense. Having multiple tasks going at the same time changes our behaviors.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
I listen to isochronic tones at the same time as listening to audiobooks. It sets a repeating pattern that allows me to chunk down what is being said. I've also found that multitasking is possible but only if one of the processes is automated. For example, listening to an audiobook while carrying out a chore or well-known activity. You know how to walk, wash dishes, and rake leaves without thinking, so your thought process can handle to another input.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Some of what is described here isn't really multitasking, IMO. Listening to music while you write isn't really multitasking because listening to music is largely a passive activity. Other activities that fall under the general domain of muscle memory don't count either. Unless you're a baby, walking is muscle memory. If you're a baby, what the hell are you doing on this forum? Go do baby stuff.

As far as trying to do two activities at once, you pretty much can't. Your brain is "single threaded", to make a computer analogy. You can task switch, at a significant penalty, but you can't process two thoughts in parallel. The penalty comes from the fact that you have limited short term memory ( at best 7 bits of information ) and that different neural pathways are associated with different tasks. So, you can only stuff so much data in your short term memory at once, and when you have to activate a different part of your brain, that takes time and energy. Please note, I'm not a neruroscientist, this is just my arm chair scientist explanation for the phenomenon. Don't quote me on it, it's just a model for understanding the observations I've made.

The penalty makes "multi tasking" far less effective than serial uni-tasking. Do one thing well, then do the other thing well. Don't screw up two things because you tried to do them at once.

Spstepp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Oct 15, 2017
Colorado Springs
Multitasking is a lie. The research clearly shows that we accomplish less when we attempt to multi-task. Can't chase two rabbits at the same time - just not possible. Focus is the key.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Yeah, I don't remember where I read this and exactly how it was formulated but it was some research that said that humans are really bad at multitasking. That goes both for men and women. Actually the research showed that men were slightly better than women contrary to conventional wisdom. It was not a significant difference so it could just be a fluke. But the bottom line was: humans can't multitasking!

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
The Psychology of Music: Why Music Plays a Big Role in What You Buy

Thought this might interest you OP ^^^

I intentionally have fast paced music in my stores (but not too loudly), because my service standards require speed and both my customers and employees move faster when it is playing. It's a noticeable difference for sure.

(top 40 fast paced pop. Freakin' Justin Bieber man, seriously. Lot's of respect for him building his empire, but my gosh is his music annoying lol)

Anyway, just studies like this lead me to believe that multi-tasking is largely nonsense. Having multiple tasks going at the same time changes our behaviors.
That sounds pretty interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Well I have practicing just doing 1 task like been watching some videos. And holy shit its brutal, I use a pomodoro timer and do 20 minutes of straight focused work not looking at anything else except the video then a 5 minute break and repeat. It sucks, very boring but I guess I just gotta get used to it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.