The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

They want to amend the IL constitution to eAT tHE rICH

Status
Not open for further replies.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So uh.. I just got this as a pamphlet in the mail, they want to change the flat rate income tax in IL to be able to randomly assign a tax rate to "the wealthy" and the arguments "pro-change" they give....... it's like Bernie wrote it. Idk, you be the judge. Somewhere in a deep forest a bald eagle loses a feather (?)
@Kak

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

abcdefgh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2018
So uh.. I just got this as a pamphlet in the mail, they want to change the flat rate income tax in IL to be able to randomly assign a tax rate to "the wealthy" and the arguments "pro-change" they give....... it's like Bernie wrote it. Idk, you be the judge. Somewhere in a deep forest a bald eagle loses a feather (?)
@Kak

Move to Indiana. I grew up outside Indianapolis (living in Utah now), you won't have to deal with that there.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Move to Indiana. I grew up outside Indianapolis (living in Utah now), you won't have to deal with that there.

Well personally I won't be affected. It starts at 250k/yr income. *cries in poor* but I still think even if they increase their revenue they're just gonna suck it all up in useless government spending. The amendment doesn't even say something like "fine, but this difference HAS go straight to underserved neighborhoods schools". It just gives them the power to put an arbitrary rate for higher earners but no accountability or control for it.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
This is the future of America if leftest take and maintain control. They firmly believe that wealthy people are evil and the source of their problems.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Illinois: It's like eating your left arm because you're hungry!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Eek. Having a state income tax on top of outrageous federal income tax already sucks. This double sucks. Why would anyone want to do business there? Wow

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
This is the future of America if leftest take and maintain control. They firmly believe that wealthy people are evil and the source of their problems.

Canada is the last frontier, but nobody wants to freeze 364 days of the year

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!

It's not any better up here. We already have a tiered income tax system at the federal and provincial levels.
It's amazing how people keep thinking a flat tax isn't fair, they don't seem to understand how percentages work. If you make more money, you pay more money in tax.

We also have other ridiculous taxes such as a carbon tax.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

No offense to any Canadians here, in fact, you're better without most of us

Wow I just looked up taxation in Canada and was shocked that (at least for federal income taxes) y’all have lower rates than we do in the US... lol
It's not any better up here. We already have a tiered income tax system at the federal and provincial levels.
It's amazing how people keep thinking a flat tax isn't fair, they don't seem to understand how percentages work. If you make more money, you pay more money in tax.

We also have other ridiculous taxes such as a carbon tax.

I've been saying this since I was 15. No, I was not a 15 year-old billionaire (lol) or son of a billionaire. The question has always been... why do we have progressive taxation levels if percentages inherently scale on their own?

Oh well, griping about government is not helpful for the fastlane. But sometimes I can't help it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alleghenyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Nov 18, 2019
Illinois is one of the states most at risk of going bankrupt due to borrowing and pension obligations that it will have trouble refinancing in bond markets.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Funny thing is that,like all idealistic movements, it will end in something worse than most would expect.
How, you may ask.

The direct result of such way of doing is that people want free money from those "evil" businessman. Ok, they will get 'em at first.
Then the magic happens, no one wants to do business anymore. Why should he/she?
He can have handouts from gov and boom! No work ever!
So suddenly there is no workforce.
How would you have your bread and ham on your plate when there is no-one to have a farm?
Well, and here's the magic: you will have to force somebody to do so.
Yes you will have to choose someone, chain him and whip into work.
So in all hate and with righteous ideas
people will become masters and minorities will become slaves.
Slaves will work and majority will benefits.
Does this rings a bell to you?

By fighting monsters they will become one.

So if you want to have a one liner about such topic, then here it is. When you ask them why they do this and they say they fluff, answer them: "No! You want to be as monstrous as those rich!"... maybe except the fact that rich minority is hated by poor majority and they want the opposite - be like by everyone except those who will be forced to work in labor camps.

How about that for a idealistic view of world.

And btw. its also good for you to think that for yourself, it will give you clear mind about what people do.

P.S. You might put on your shades and say it will never happen. Never is a funny word. Wasn't it 1984 when Orwell wrote about Big Brother? Let me explain, that's exactly 36 years ago.
And you know what? There is one little country of 1.5 Billion people that is doing just that.
Never... that's very shortsighted word.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Kak

Can't say I am surprised.

Communism, coming to a country near you.

At what point does the government "own" the means of production? What percentage?

With 75% taxation... Do you really own your business? No. You just manage it for the government. They own 3x more of what YOU PRODUCE than you. Think about that...

With a full blown communist revolution where the government nationalizes everything, how much more could they get out of someone than 75%? Probably nothing. They have just got everyone fooled into thinking that they own their businesses at this point.

I would argue this is when people Galt off to 3rd world beach and stop shaving.

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
He exists, and lots of people on this forum are aspiring to be him (or Hank Rearden, I was always more about his style anyway)

We all have a crush on Hank Rearden, duh. In my mind he looks like Michael Fassbender and Jessica Chastain is Dagny Taggart.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

We all have a crush on Hank Rearden, duh. In my mind he looks like Michael Fassbender and Jessica Chastain is Dagny Taggart.

being a straight male, I’d like to BE Rearden and get with Dagny.

anyways...

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
We derailed this thread like a Taggart Continental train. DISPERSE, NOTHING TO SEE HERE

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not with that kind of attitude you won't. ;)

"Well personally I won't be affected, yet."

There I fixed it for you. :smile:

Right, when they get to the 50k bracket I'm toast.

Jk I know what u mean

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I see you really absorbed the Dagny Taggart can do spirit. :clap:::rofl:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

You will get there, just like Dagny. Might have to deal with incompetent losers like James, but honestly, she just steam rolled right by them. Takes time and effort, but it’s doable

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
We'll all become 'tax birds' and fly to where the tax rate weather is fairer.
Today that's Puerto Rico. I really need to move there.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I keep seeing the commercials for the "Fair tax" whenever I watch hulu. It sucks when you're trying to relax, then you see some political BS that gets you worked up. Gotta love election season.

And also, All of the normies love to hear "make the wealthy pay their fair share", But in reality the wealthy will just move somewhere more tax friendly, Like PR. Then they take all that tax revenue, and opportunity with them, leaving behind a state that will become objectively worse.

It's what California is doing, And a lot of wealthy people are leaving NY city due to the instability, rioting and unfair lockdowns. These people in office pander to the politically ignorant, even if it messes up their state's tax revenue

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I keep seeing the commercials for the "Fair tax" whenever I watch hulu. It sucks when you're trying to relax, then you see some political BS that gets you worked up. Gotta love election season.

UGH EVERYWHERE I remember when I couldn't even watch a YouTube video without seeing a Pritzker or Rauner ad.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
"fair" tax. That word has been abused. "Fair" is whatever two consenting parties agree... stealing a person's wealth because you can't produce anything of value yourself isn't fair. Punishing someone for making the things that you value is just plain stupid.

We're seeing an inversion of morality.

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
It was written 35 years earlier
That's fascinating, I didn't realize the gap was that small. Just looked it up and apparently he chose the 80s because he wanted to show the vision would be happening in their lifetimes if things didn't turn around fast. #todayilearned

Jasper S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jul 14, 2020
Chicagoland Area
It's what California is doing, And a lot of wealthy people are leaving NY city due to the instability, rioting and unfair lockdowns. These people in office pander to the politically ignorant, even if it messes up their state's tax revenue
Sounds kind of like Detroit around the 1950's-60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!