The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The word "retire" or "retirement"

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just seeking a general opinion here for the community ...

My book's subtitle is still undecided. By subtitle I mean, the secondary title that describes the main title.

For example ...

The Millionaire Fastlane <--- Main title
101 Ideas to Get Rich Fast <-- Sub title

The "101 ideas" is not real, but just an example. My question and concern is, should I use the word "retire" in the subtitle? I fear that the word has connotations of "old" and my target audience is really young people ... say 16-30.

That said, do you think its a danger to use the word "retire" in the subtitle? Even if it is something like "retire young" or "retire 40 years early" or "retire rich?"

Your thoughts? Young people? Does seeing the word "retire" in a book title turn you off, or steer you clear?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I agree that the word "retire" has an implication of "old." I'd steer clear of it.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
To me the word "retirement" is an ugly word. When I hear retirement in the media, what do they portray- People who worked for 40+ years of their lives.

IMHO retire is a better word- "I retired at age 30."

If you want to avoid those words completely- I came up with a phrase-

Title- "The Fastlane Millionaire"
Subtitle- "Achieving your wildest dreams and goals today,not in 40 years."

Edit- I reread the post and honestly just avoid using retire, too many books use the word "retire" in them.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Hmm.... note sure.

The word retire doesn't bother me. But I've already been "exposed." :)

"The Millionaire Fastlane " strikes me funny though. What happened to TFLTM!?!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think people who are in the fastlane ever retire. The definition of retirement is to leave employment completely.

From wikipedia "Retirement is the point where a person stops employment completely (or decides to leave the labor force if he or she is unemployed)"

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
It has a negative connotation with it. Depending on how you use it it can be ok, but as someone else said, its used to often in book titles.

I think the phrase up at the top of the forum would be ok, assuming if the main title of the book was anything close to The Fastlane To Millions.

The Fastlane To Millions
Will Your Road to Wealth Devour 40 Years of Your Life?

I think using that or something like that for a subtitle says more than get rich fast, it mentions time. All the time you would spend otherwise becoming successful. It also kind of implies that you could already be on your way to being successful, but that it may take you a very long time.

Using that or having another question to the potential book buyer would be good.

Who knows buy the time you are done with the book completely and not just a rough draft, a better subtitle may come to you.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
I agree that the stereotypical connotation of retire relates to old and passive.

Hey MJ-I was the VP Creative Director for a huge Int'l ad agency previously. I specialized in branding and positioning specifically. PM me if you'd like me to pitch in with the real title (confidentially). Would be happy to help.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
MJ, "retire" is a great word because it already has traction in the media. But try to twist the headline with "retire" in it. Controversial headlines can do wonders.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
How about we form a new organization/demographic?

YAFERS
Young
Adults
For
Early
Retirement
(Seriously)

I like either retire or retirement just fine, I am resting up for it because I will be a busy SOB when I get there.... Have some serious makeup work to do on some of my "Just because I damned well feel like it" projects.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.