The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Undercover Billionaire: Building a $1m business in 90 days

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ahh yes.

So this house didn't make it to this mysterious wholesale list at a deep discount when it originally went to the MLS in a pre-renovation condition, but made it later after renovation? And then Glenn won the house as the top bidder in what should have been a huge bidding war of cash buyers looking for flips?

Interestingly, before it started I made note that the only way the flip house would benefit Glenn (within his deadline) is if he miraculously found a CASH buyer to avoid the 30 day close -- and that most cash buyers are investors who want to buy renovations for flipping purposes, not post-renovated move-in ready homes.

And sure enough, like a lifeboat drifting in the Pacific Ocean for a drowning man, it happens. To avoid the standard 30 day closing time on a house (hence making Glenn miss his reality TV deadline) Glenn miraculously finds a CASH buyer that is willing to close in just days. And that an "investor" still wants to buy a house that essentially has been already renovated. And that there is enough profit in the margin for all this to go down, as if Glenn purchased this home for pennies on the dollar, all while outbidding other investors (CASH BUYERS without a fake name, fake credit, and a fake SSN) ...

Sorry not buying it.

While people might think I'm just "hating" or being a negative nelly, I'm not.

A sociological experiment is invalid if doesn't fit reality or truth.

If I cheat to prove my scientific experiment, or introduce factors that aren't normal for the environment, am I really proving anything?

I'm not. And IMO, Glenn isn't either.

And that saddens me for those folks who are watching and do believe the dream IS dead. In short, it succeeds as an interesting business show with good business tidbits, but it is failing the sociological aspect.

Obviously there are TWO camps of viewers for this show... entrepreneurs who are looking at it for the business and operational aspect (most folks on this forum) and regular folks who are looking at it for the sociological and economic implications of the experiment.

I guess the disconnect is I'm critiquing this show from the LATTER camp (the sociological and experimental aspect as someone who might be broke), not the FORMER (the entrepreneurial / business aspect). It explains why I am, and will continue to be, the minority opinion.

I don't know, I guess it would depend on if YOU owned the tires and lost $1,500 because someone stole them from YOUR property. And who determines what is classified as "abandoned?" Your perspective? Or the owner of the land where the property resides? I own land that has frequent trespassers on it -- they're not entitled to anything on it, even the trash. And they're certainly not entitled to interpret what's on my property as abandoned because they feel it so.

Well if you're talking about Season 8, then I'm in full agreement. :rofl:

Don't you have your own thread for this blasphemy? :rofl:

In all honesty, I don't think anyone here believes this show is a 100 percent perfect experiment. It certainly isn't the reason I like it so much. Like I said before, there were just simply unavoidable circumstances that go into making a SHOW that wouldn't go into a blog or book or whatever. Like the camera crew you pointed out.

I understand that you are holding the sanctity of the experiment in higher regard than the procedural gold he is spewing. I on the other hand like the gold. I also don't really care if it it a perfectly lock tight experiment. I still believe it can be done with the right fortitude, leadership abilities and plan.

We even have @ChrisV, an actual scientist, liking it for what it is.

Personally, I would have just discussed a private label arrangement with the breweries and looked into bottling and distributing them to grocery stores or other big box retailers. Get the sweat equity to sell sell sell.

For some reason, this show just triggers people. To those people I say try to chill out and just enjoy it for what it is... An educational Discovery channel show like Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs or Survivorman. Fun, imperfect, educational and valuable.

All of this said, while I am in Erie for 24 hours I am going to start a million dollar business. Glenn who?:rofl:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The real estate part would have been alot more realistic if...

The house was listed for $90k as is on the MLS.
Glen comes in and get's it under contract for $45k.

Then

Glen this fixes it and lists it for $100k when it is truly worth $150k.
Investor buys and closes in 3 days.

Or

Glen lists the house on craigslist or some other wholesale website for $60k.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

In all honesty, I don't think anyone here believes this show is a 100 percent perfect experiment. It certainly isn't the reason I like it so much. Like I said before, there were just simply unavoidable circumstances that go into making a SHOW that wouldn't go into a blog or book or whatever. Like the camera crew you pointed out.

I understand that you are holding the sanctity of the experiment in higher regard than the procedural gold he is spewing. I on the other hand like the gold. I also don't really care if it it a perfectly lock tight experiment. I still believe it can be done with the right fortitude, leadership abilities and plan.

Personally, I would have just discussed a private label arrangement with the breweries and looked into bottling and distributing them to grocery stores or other big box retailers. Get the sweat equity to sell sell sell.

For some reason, this show just triggers people. To those people I say try to chill out and just enjoy it for what it is... An educational Discovery channel show like Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs or Survivorman. Fun, imperfect, educational and valuable.

All of this said, while I am in Erie for 24 hours I am going to start a million dollar business. Glenn who?:rofl:

I have thought about starting a youtube channel where I just build a business online with daily or weekly episodes. I think it would be a good channel and get many views.

However, the downsides would be...

copycats (no big deal if your business model is just to show how build a small business, make money from the views)
people not buying because of transparency (Everyone would know that you paid $5 for something and are trying to sell it for $20)
other headaches from being so transparent (stuff that normally is just so tiny but gets magnified, like a viewer noticing there isn't a fire extinguisher by the door and complaining to the fire marshall)
haters leaving bad reviews and comments

I guess all those headaches would have to be offset by youtube revenue.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The real estate part would have been alot more realistic if...

The house was listed for $90k as is on the MLS.
Glen comes in and get's it under contract for $45k.

Then

Glen this fixes it and lists it for $100k when it is truly worth $150k.

Or

Glen lists the house on craigslist or some other wholesale website for $60k.

That was pretty much what happened. It was said it was worth 125 and he sold it for 75. Whether it was really worth 125... who knows. But I'm sure there was upside in it left for someone that wanted to wait a little while.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
If I cheat to prove my scientific experiment, or introduce factors that aren't normal for the environment, am I really proving anything?

I would just like to say that this is the entire premise of "The American Dream". How many Americans are willing to work more than 8 hours a day? Or willing to put down their chips and soda and get their fat asses off the couch and try to make better of themselves? Is it normal for them to be willing to work days, months, or even years for FREE in order to realize their dreams? Is it normal for them to throw their TV in the trash and do nothing but read educational books each and every night to increase their knowledge where it is lacking in order to get what they want?

The very nature of being successful is in essence a cheat when viewed by the masses. As you say yourself, it is the process and not the event. Show a successful person WITH THE PROCESS to probably 95% of the population and they will be absolutely blind to it, they will still just see the event and claim luck or some external factor.

To me the fact that this show even mentions "The American Dream" is just so that it gets more eyeballs, and thus generates more revenue. The real "American Dream" is having your basic needs met at a very real level with almost no effort or work put in by the majority of the population. This in turn frees up your mind and body to become the person that you need to be in order to go after the success that you want in life. The problem is that it comes in the form of really hard work, and really hard personal development. When your needs are so easily met it is so easy to just be lazy, and so most people are just lazy instead.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@GPM Well said!

Where do you draw this cheating line? I still hold that they could have given him 10 grand and nothing else and the premise would have been just as interesting. That skips the tires and car flips.

When people start to add personal choice like reading books, avoiding mindless television, living like shit in order to build dreams cheating, or an unfair advantage, or privilege they lose me.

Last edited:

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I enjoyed Episode 5.

The previews for Episode 6 look very interesting. Looking forward to next week.

Most of my takeaways could be found in previous episodes. But, repetition is the key to engraining information into the subconscious.
  • Hire a professional to fast track your education.
  • Surround yourself with people smarter than you.
  • Surround yourself with people who are strong in the areas that you are weak.
  • Hiring professionals allows you to use money to buy time.
  • With every setback, keep moving forward.
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help.
  • Teach your managers to be leaders.
  • Teach your managers to be aggressive, assertive, self-starters
  • Set your own table. Don't wait for someone else to do it for you.
  • Don't wait for the perfect opportunity to fall into your lap. It never will.
  • Let your team know that you're working as hard as they are. If not harder.
  • Let your team know exactly what you need them to do.
  • Coach your employees up.
  • To be successful, you have to be an aggressive, assertive, bulldog.
  • You'll never be successful by being passive.
  • Show your team that you're passionate and that you care.
  • Don't let setbacks kill your confidence.
  • Learn from your setbacks.
  • Let your team know about your setbacks and your plan going forward.
  • Use setbacks as an opportunity to find an even better option.
  • Celebrate the small victories.
  • Have fun along the journey.
  • Don't spend time fighting battles when there are wars to be fought.
  • The most important aspect of your marketing and your brand is your company's story and narrative. Your why. Why do you exist? Why were you created?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I enjoyed Episode 5.

The previews for Episode 6 look very interesting. Looking forward to next week.

Most of my takeaways could be found in previous episodes. But, repetition is the key to engraining information into the subconscious.
  • The most important aspect of your marketing and your brand is your company's story and narrative. Your why. Why do you exist? Why were you created?

I am loving these bulleted lists. Thank you!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Deals happen everyday all over the country. They don't always make sense. They don't always fit a mold. The point of the house flip was simple. It was an example. I made a couple of deals that did not seem to make sense or fit a mold during the past 3 years. Some are bought and sold, some are in the process. Will have made 2-3M on them once completed.

Nobody seemed to want them. Then all of a sudden they do. Does not make sense to me but I go with it.

I see other people making deals where all I can say is "I wish I had seen that one". But I didn't and someone else did.

This deal that Glenn made both on the cars and house. I don't know if they are real or not. But, I have seen plenty that would not make me doubt this. They still serve as examples.

They can't put all the boring details into these shows. That is not entertainment.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For some reason, this show just triggers people.

Well that's because most people (like the BernieBros on Reddit) DO BELIEVE the American Dream is dead. I do not. This show threatens their politics, threatens their do-nothingness, and threatens their excuses. From that perspective, I love the show! Lol.

Yes, moving forward I'll bud out.

Happy to see that one of the most important things was mentioned ... the power of having a story that people can care about.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
That was pretty much what happened. It was said it was worth 125 and he sold it for 75. Whether it was really worth 125... who knows. But I'm sure there was upside in it left for someone that wanted to wait a little while.

I think the unrealistic thing I see is that this house was on the market for $50k? and he bought it for $45k? I can't remember exactly. It's not like he got a smoking deal. I haven't seen the last episode, but if it was a great deal with those numbers (buy for $50k, worth $125k after renovations) some investor would have snapped it up.

That's why it would be more realistic if he got alot more off the asking price. If it was a buy for $50k, worth $75k after renovations. This would be more realistic of a house stuck on the market and unattractive to investors. But then if he bought this home for $30k, it would be much easy to understand how he was able to flip it so fast.

That's another thing, I can't believe he made an offer so high in the beginning!

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
...who knows?
The property value can be estimated based on the local market.

The buyer would be getting his money's worth at 75K because an ROI of 10% is $7500, or $650/mo. What does that 4 BDR look like it would rent for? The buyer can put tenants in it for three months at $1200 then flip it to an investor for $90-100K, claiming it is still 20K below market value.

That amounts to maybe upwards of 30 hours of work for Cash Buyer to profit 15K by buying it from Glenn and flipping it as an income property after four months.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well that's because most people (like the BernieBros on Reddit) DO BELIEVE the American Dream is dead. I do not. This show threatens their politics, threatens their do-nothingness, and threatens their excuses. From that perspective, I love the show! Lol.

Happy to see that one of the most important things was mentioned ... the power of having a story that people can care about.

Nah, you don't need to bud out haha. This is all in good fun. Especially triggering SJWs. I do it for sport.

I have a "Who is John Galt?" license plate bracket on the S class... And a $500 insurance deductible now. I never go that low. :rofl:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

The buzz about the American Dream being dead is keeping the slave class in place. Pushing the hype through politics is having unexpected results. I had no idea how it backfired on the young labor market until I asked friends in working waterfront/military/college town communities what their kids are all up to.

A whole generation of elite college graduates swallow the bad news every year. Droves of college graduates and drop-outs are deciding that they will never even achieve the financial security their parents had.

Many of these sweet kids unfortunately graduating from the likes of Wellesley, Harvard, and Bard are lost. Deer-in-the-headlights lost. A million twenty-somethings currently are out looking for "painless" jobs to live hand-to-mouth with no hills to climb. They buy trendy shoes and games because it makes no sense to save money, say the politically savvy kids.

The number one explanation is that they all half-believe that life on earth will probably end in twenty years. The second reason is that they are supposed to hate their privilege.

Meanwhile the other half went to work in the family business or on their boats or into the woods for 4-5 years because their families believe no one is ready for college yet at 18 or even 20. And then if they go they attend state or to conservative private colleges. They don't go to college for no good reason whatsoever, because it's a hit on income and precious time.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The buzz about the American Dream being dead is keeping the slave class in place and pushing the hype through politics is having unexpected extreme results. I had no idea until I asked friends in working waterfront/military/college town communities what their kids are all up to.

A whole generation of elite college graduates swallow the bad news every year and are deciding that they will never even achieve the financial security their parents had.

These sweet kids unfortunately graduating from the likes of Wellesley, Harvard, and Bard are just lost. Deer-in-the-headlights lost. A million twenty-somethings are out looking for "painless" jobs to live hand-to-mouth with no hills to climb. They buy expensive shoes and games because it makes no sense to save money, say the politically savvy kids.

The number one explanation is that they all half-believe that life on earth will probably end in twenty years. The second reason is that they are supposed to hate their privilege.

Meanwhile the other half went to work in the family business or on their boats or into the woods for 4-5 years because their families believe no one is ready for college yet at 18 or even 20. And then if they go they attend state or to conservative private colleges. They don't go to college for no good reason whatsoever because it's a hit on income and precious time.

All I can say is that the bernieites and warrenites that believe the American dream is dead are trying their hardest to ruin it for the rest of us. It is as if they are begging for a Russian style oligarchy.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
All I can say is that the bernieites and warrenites that believe the American dream is dead are trying their hardest to ruin it for the rest of us. It is as if they are begging for a Russian style oligarchy.
I'm smiling a little at the parents who took their kids to all these rallies and carelessly scared them with all the privileged INSIDERS drama that we're living in the End Times. Oh and don't forget the important lesson that only the correct politics can save Planet Earth. What a bunch of cool, brave families. "My eight-year-old is into politics!" Well, now the parents have work to do to help their anxious twenty-year-old aimless children get on their feet and just act like they think the American Dream is a viable plan.
Imagine having to convince your Ivy League graduate to plan to still on being around in fifty years and she tells you that's just an ignorant belief. This is the new Happy Slave.

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Are we even watching the same show? I remember that he finds out about the mold when breaking the house down for redesigning with the interior designer.

Well, here is the problem.... while you was actually watching the show, I was just skimming it as I was doing other things and not in the room all the time. The American dream is alive and well, more alive than it has ever been in history but this show ain't it. I couldn't really get 'in to it' from the start (or else I would have been glued to the tv). So I guess it's my fault for commenting on it when I wasn't paying close attention. I might catch the last episode to see how they wrote it..... or maybe not. I wish they would make a REAL reality show..... maybe that should be what someone here does....

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Episode 6 had more drama than it had lessons.

But, there were still helpful takeaways:
  • Don't pigeon hole your players
  • Figure out all of the talents and skills of your team members
  • Figure out how to profitably leverage your team members' skills and talents
  • Hire competent people
  • Trust the people you hire
  • First impressions are very important
  • Branding is your first impression
  • Know your budget
  • Stick to your budget
  • Responsible cashflow management is key
  • Restaurants are as much about atmosphere as they are about food
  • Know the time and place to lay all your cards on the table
  • When you mess up, apologize and own up to it
  • Check the plane before you fly it
  • Do a run through before you launch
  • Don't get pissed off at people, it never helps
  • Keep calm under pressure
  • Keep your cool under pressure
  • If things go wrong, don't go with them
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help
  • Don't be too proud to ask for help
  • Starting a business is messy
  • Have the right people around you is key
  • Build a great team
  • Achieving the American Dream is possible, but it isn't easy

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Have a feeling the "pitmaster" won't be around for the long haul.

I thought she was a terrible choice to begin with.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

My favorite for the pitmaster position was and continues to be the black dude. He has soul. BBQ matters to him. You can't help but love that guy.

I haven't seen the most recent episode though so maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

That's interesting. What did you pick up on?
I do think that once they were on location at the festival she caught on that she had been down-graded from pit master to food prep. And that gradually sank in. But so what, that's just an event.

Early in the process the T-shirt business owner looked like he was going to waffle and drop the ball. That began when he didn't step up to search for a pit master.
He seems unhappy and tries to hide it. He seems hardworking and sincere but I get the sense he is a little off in terms of wellbeing or his personal life.
Weight-lifting is not the universal solution to all problems. But it camouflages distress.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
That's interesting. What did you pick up on?
I do think that once they were on location at the festival she caught on that she had been down-graded from pit master to food prep. And that gradually sank in. But so what, that's just an event.

Early in the process the T-shirt business owner looked like he was going to waffle and drop the ball. That began when he didn't step up to search for a pit master.
He seems unhappy and tries to hide it. He seems hardworking and sincere but I get the sense he is a little off in terms of wellbeing or his personal life.
Weight-lifting is not the universal solution to all problems. But it camouflages distress.
Everytime she was on camera it looked like she was about to have an anxiety attack.

For the other guy, I think hes just having a hard time adjusting to a higher level of conducting business.

That said, who knows how much of it is real vs scripted drama. Also, for what its worth, that lady isn't listed on the Underdogbbq website whereas the rest of the team is. Seems the big guy is now the pitmaster.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
My favorite for the pitmaster position was and continues to be the black dude. He has soul. BBQ matters to him. You can't help but love that guy.

I haven't seen the most recent episode though so maybe I'm wrong.
That's true. Glenn tries to nickname him Cowboy Steve. Definitely does not stick. When you try to rebrand a black dude from a north-Midwestern industrial city as a Western rancher maybe you're not taking him very seriously.

But he goes with the flow looking at the bigger picture.

Last edited:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
That's true. Glenn tries to nickname him Cowboy Steve. Definitely does not stick. When you try to rebrand a black dude from a north-Midwestern industrial city as a Western rancher maybe you're not taking him very seriously.
Pretty sure he was talking about the guy in the cowboy hat who was the third option for pit master. He just joined them for the bbq contest to help

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

IMO, this guy will be the hero. He seems like the most competent of all, and someone who you can trust to captain the whole ship.

I will second this. To me, she came across as overconfident like she was actually hiding something, perhaps her incompetence when push comes to shove.

Another question which was never asked of this gal which I found odd .... why did her restaurant fail? She already owned a BBQ place and it failed. Seems like a HUGE question to ask, but Glenn never did. When the pressure is on, she strikes me as someone who caves... hence the overconfidence when Glenn tries to double-check her work.

Aside from that...

A smoker that is unseasoned (c'mon! Your ribs will taste like iron!)
Frozen ribs ... duh?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Wait, $5K for Mold? Lol. I used to do water damage removal when I was a kid and the dangers of mold are wildly overblown. The only dangerous type of mold is black mold and even then it's o ly really a problem in the elderly.

I feel bad. Glenn got taken for a ride by that company. He literally could have hit that with bleach himself. Like I said I used to work for a Water Damage Removal company, and the protocol for mold was hitting it with bleach.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Omg these guys put on Tyvek suits for mold? Lmfao. I can't.

How to Get Rid of Mold Yourself:
Most cases of mold can be easily removed from hard surfaces using household products you likely already have: soap and water, commercial cleaning products or a bleach solution (1 cup bleach/1 gallon water). Porous materials or those that may have absorbed spores should be thrown away (carpet, drywall, ceiling tile, etc.) Again, it is important to clean and dry the area to ensure the mold does not return. If you have a recurring mold problem in your basement, attic, or other area it’s likely you need to address the moisture source to prevent future mold growth.
Tips from the CDC if you use bleach to clean up mold:
Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other products will produce dangerous toxic fumes.
Open windows and doors to provide fresh air
Wear non-porous gloves and protective eyewear
If the area is more than 10 square feet, see the EPA guide to Mold Remediation, OR contact us for expert advice
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using bleach or any other cleaning product

From the CDC:

More info:

Washington Post – Mold: What every homeowner fears but probably shouldn’t

Dude they took him for a ride. Song, dance and Tyvek suit. That's not right.

Lmao.

Edit: wow f--- these guys. I looked up the company that did his mold removal and they're total conman scare mongers.

Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 12.05.57 AM 1.png

Check this out from their site:

"Mold can kill you instantly! Don't do it yourself! Trust the experts at ServiceMaster!"

"Mold isn't something that most people think about until it affects their health, their home or business," said Pete Duncanson, director of system development for ServiceMaster Restore and chairman of the board for The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). "However, mold spores are found in most homes across the country, and in the right conditions and without the right treatment, mold can quickly grow into a major problem."

ServiceMaster Restore's four most commonly reported mold myths are:

1. False: Bleach or other retail products can kill mold on any surface.

Fact: Most retail products simply discolor mold and are not recommended for use on porous surfaces. In porous and semi- porous materials, such as wood, carpet, ceiling tile or drywall, mold's roots may not come into contact with the cleaning product, meaning it will likely return. This is one reason why experts say removing the mold-affected items is the only way to ensure it is removed from your home.

2. False: Black mold is not hazardous to your health.

Fact: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirms black mold is known to cause allergic reactions, respiratory problems, increased risks for infections and a host of other health issues.

3. False: Dead mold can't cause health issues.

Fact: Mold goes dormant until the conditions are favorable for regrowth. Even dormant mold can release spores, allowing it to reproduce and reappear, particularly if the underlying moisture and ventilation issues have not been resolved. Trained professionals can help you identify potentially dangerous mold and ensure affected areas are properly treated.

4. False: Mold is the only problem associated with water damage.

Fact: When water is present where it should not be, it can quickly cause a host of problems, including structural and cosmetic damage, as well as promote bacterial and viral growth. In addition, mold can begin to appear within 24-48 hours, depending on the nature of the water intrusion. Calling a reputable disaster restoration professional who is skilled in dealing with water- related damages can help you avoid long-term problems and get life back in order again as quickly as possible.

ServiceMaster Restore is trained, equipped and ready to restore homes and businesses before, during and after any mold-related issues. With a number of regionally based large-loss command and control centers and 1,800 franchises worldwide, ServiceMaster Restore can mobilize across the country to handle any size job.

This is predatory bullshit. F*ck off. I posted links to the CDC's recommendations for mold treatment above.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Omg these guys put on Tyvek suits for mold? Lmfao. I can't.

How to Get Rid of Mold Yourself:
Most cases of mold can be easily removed from hard surfaces using household products you likely already have: soap and water, commercial cleaning products or a bleach solution (1 cup bleach/1 gallon water). Porous materials or those that may have absorbed spores should be thrown away (carpet, drywall, ceiling tile, etc.) Again, it is important to clean and dry the area to ensure the mold does not return. If you have a recurring mold problem in your basement, attic, or other area it’s likely you need to address the moisture source to prevent future mold growth.
Tips from the CDC if you use bleach to clean up mold:
Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other products will produce dangerous toxic fumes.
Open windows and doors to provide fresh air
Wear non-porous gloves and protective eyewear
If the area is more than 10 square feet, see the EPA guide to Mold Remediation, OR contact us for expert advice
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using bleach or any other cleaning product

From the CDC:

More info:

Washington Post – Mold: What every homeowner fears but probably shouldn’t

Dude they took him for a ride. Song, dance and Tyvek suit. That's not right.

View attachment 27390

Lmao.

Edit: wow f--- these guys. I looked up the company that did his mold removal and they're total conman scare mongers.

View attachment 27391

Check this out from their site:

"Mold can kill you instantly! Don't do it yourself! Trust the experts at ServiceMaster!"

This is predatory bullshit. F*ck off. I posted links to the CDC's recommendations for mold treatment above.

As a billionaire, he should pay someone to do it, even on the show. Too much liability.

You can do it yourself, but come lawsuit time someone will critique your half assed job. I’d feel much better saying I hired a professional on the stand than I followed the CDC website procedures.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
As a billionaire, he should pay someone to do it, even on the show. Too much liability.

You can do it yourself, but come lawsuit time someone will critique your half assed job. I’d feel much better saying I hired a professional on the stand than I followed the CDC website procedures.
Even so, I worked for one of the most reputable water damage companies in the country (Servpro) when I was 18, and my company would have charged about $700 for that job.

Like we did water damage, fire damage, crime scene, biohazard cleanup.

Note the difference between Servpro's website and ServiceMaster's fear mongering:

They took him for a ride. They prey off people's fears. He had $10,000 to his name at the time and his whole plan almost collapsed because of a company that preys on misconceptions.

Megaman9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 21, 2018
I'm not from the US, is it really possible to find cars for $1500 with a blue book value of over $7000?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.