The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Undercover Billionaire: Building a $1m business in 90 days

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
My initial thought on the "American Dream is Dead" mindset was yay! Because, ideally it means more wealth for those of us who know it's alive and well.
The difference is that wealth isn't finite. It is not capped. It is created.

If everyone does better, everyone does better.

This is NOT an argument for redistribution... More like: If everyone knew that they could make something out of themselves, and tried, everyone would be better off, including the people that already did.

Yep. Wealth isn't a 0 sum game. Someone else getting rich often benefits you.

For example, we've all benefitted from Steve Jobs of Bill Gates getting rich.

Uber benefits you, Amazon benefits you. Toyota, Mercedes, Home Depot, Google.

Entrepreneurship and innovation makes life objectively better (if we measure 'better' by the reduction of unnecessary suffering in the world.)

The beauty of Capitalism is that it creates a win/win situation where both parties are left better off than they would have been without. all those win/win situations just makes the world better for humans (measured in terms of wealth and life satisfaction)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
@Kak and @ChrisV, I agree with you both.

Wealth is definitely not finite.

On top of that, most Americans are wealthy.

They just don't realize it because of hedonic adaptation, social media, comparisonitis, and advertisers.
Yep. Throughout almost of human history, people lived on the equivalent of ~$1/day (in constant 1991 dollars)

There was actually a documentary (now on YouTube) about this where some College kids went to Guatemala and lived on the average wage there... $1/day

Full Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT5HsUi7VE&list=PL74av1RRDrl-IYw6spYn5W3yaI_vQD4kz&index=2&t=0s

The stuff they went through was insane and enlightening. One of them got sick and had to spend the majority of their weekly budget on medication.

And that's what most of human history was like.

Capitalism changed that. The system may not be perfect, but it's literally hundreds of thousands of times better than anything we've ever had.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I want a big dinner at Underdogs in September...

Anyone in?

I am going to try to reach out to Glen and see if he will come.

Last edited:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
I'm just starting episode 3, but I do want to share something that could be useful for you all with flipping and taking strategies from this guy's playbook with less risk:

With real estate investing, you can get a property under agreement (if you find a good deal) and then sell it to someone who has money and take a cut as a 'finder's fee'

Rather than buying and securing a mortgage and remodeling and all of that nonsense.

Something to think about/research.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I'm just starting episode 3, but I do want to share something that could be useful for you all with flipping and taking strategies from this guy's playbook with less risk:

With real estate investing, you can get a property under agreement (if you find a good deal) and then sell it to someone who has money and take a cut as a 'finder's fee'

Rather than buying and securing a mortgage and remodeling and all of that nonsense.

Something to think about/research.
Damn! Actually common around where I am.
A real estate agent of sorts, you mean?

I was wondering whether a 'services route' could be explored in the series.

And it may be possible to hit the million-dollar mark (taxes and equity aside), if the property value is priced high enough, and the percentage cut for the fee fits in.

Here's an article to illustrate it.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA

And it may be possible to hit the million-dollar mark (taxes and equity aside), if the property value is priced high enough, and the percentage cut for the fee fits in.

I believe it's called Wholesaling in the real estate world.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Has anyone used an option contract in RE?
The closest to that I've ever heard of was lease options for property, did by Vincent Wong (now he's a guru alongside John Lee, they've showed up in Malaysia in the last few years, and I believe Brian Rose's London Real featured John Lee once).

Last word I heard of it is that they've patched up loopholes to that technique?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Episode 4!

So far it was actually cool to see him off of his game. We have all had days like that where we just can't get our point out. He is mortal.

Pretty much any of us could have done a better job pitching a deal with the brewer.

"We would like to feature your beer and potentially private label something as a house beer. We want to be your customer. What will it take to get you excited?"

I also like what he said about spotting talent. When out and about... at the bank, a restaurant, a store, whatever. If someone impresses me, I usually ask their name, introduce myself and compliment them. I make a mental note and know of several people I could offer jobs to.

Most recently... I really liked the guy that sold me my car.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

Wait, what? I thought that only real estate agents can get buyers and sellers under contract and that's the law of the land.
If you can do this without a real estate license what is the job title you're using?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Yeah but can you not handle money/diet/relationships because you suck or because there is something you don't know or understand that others aren't letting you in on? That is going to vary with individual of course but financial intelligence and knowledge takes care of that on the money part. Some people have all the merit and just haven't pieced together the puzzle yet, others have the solution alongside starting resources by previous generations.

There are lot of reasons people want things to be fair. I'm not talking about fair, I'm talking about a level playing field. There is a mathematician named John Nash. John Nash discovered a concept of group dynamics and a movie about him expressed the concept in a simple way. He and friends at a bar looked at a group of girls coming in. John explained that they could all go after the 9 and maybe one person gets laid which is your typical capitalist mindset. But if instead they all work together to impress the whole group without going after any particular girl they increase the probability not only that everyone gets laid but that any individual in their group gets laid at all, in fact the difference is so significant that going the first route the probability of nobody getting laid is quite high and in the second group strategy the probability that none of them get laid is extremely low.

Our "group" is the united states and a level playing field increases the chance that we can all move up to the investment class... there is a whole world full of girls we can lay and if we collaborate in a group strategy there is a much better chance for all of us of getting laid... err wealthy. You actually lower your chance of getting wealthy by purely being out for yourself. That is just math... quite advanced statistics actually and the guy won a nobel for it but as definitive as 2+2.

What you really mean by "level the playing field", is to punish or inhibit those who have an ability or an advantage.

Is it "equal" that one man was born with a rich father and another poor? No, it is not.

Is it "fair"? The word doesn't apply to this situation.

Should one man be punished because his father was rich? Hell no.

If someone takes an advantage they had, and work hard to further their advantage, should they be punished for it? Hell no.

Since when did a mathematical concept, which is what "equality" is, become a virtue?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Has anyone used an option contract in RE?

Yes, all you do is basically get a property under contract and in the contract instead of your name or in addition to your name you add language like "and/or assigns".

This gives you the ability to assign the contract over to someone else. So if you get a house for a great deal, let's say the home is worth $200k and you get it under contract for $150k. You can sell or assign the contract to someone who pays you $10k for the contract.

I've added that language to my contracts a long time ago when I was buying real estate, but never actually sold a contract. A competent realtor or seller would never allow it on the buyer's line as they have no idea who they're going to end up dealing with.

I've done a lease option contract, where I was the landlord and the option was eventually exercised after 2 years.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I enjoyed episode 4.

Here are my takeaways:
  • Time is your most valuable asset.
  • Don't waste time trying to learn what a professional can already do faster and better.
  • If you have a big dream, be prepared for setbacks.
  • It's how you recover that counts.
  • Look for ways to get PR or public acclaim for your business.
  • Look for ways to position yourself against your competitors.
  • Get as many well connected people in your corner as possible.
  • Know your timeline, your benchmarks, and your constraints.
  • Know when you need to light a fire under your team.
  • Turn rivals into revenue.
  • Don't compete when you can compliment.
  • Be collaborative instead of competitive.
  • Eliminate conflicts by striking mutually beneficial deals early.
  • Look for the linchpins in your market or industry.
  • Get the linchpins on board early.
  • Get influencers and leaders onboard before trying to get their followers on board.
  • When pitching, less is more. Stick to the essentials.
  • When pitching be laser-focused and pitch one thing.
  • Don't confuse people with your message.
  • Focus on what you need for the next step.
  • When you find talent, create a space for it on your team.
  • Look for employees with a growth mindset.
  • Look for people who welcome constructive criticism.
  • When it comes to branding, less is more.
  • Logos should represent your company.
  • Figure out a way to overcome obstacles.
  • Don't give up. Figure out a way to make it work.
  • Don't tell yourself that what you want is impossible.
  • Tell people exactly what you want. That's the only way you'll get it.
  • When you're negotiating both sides should feel a little pain.
  • Don't be afraid to hear no.
  • The negotiation doesn't start until you hear no.
  • Always look for a way to turn your trash into money.
  • Work with people who stick to their commitments.
  • Thank your people.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have one episode left to catch up on this... then I can read the first 9 pages of this thread. I will probably create my own thread with my own thoughts as I have a lot. It probably won't be what people expect either, although maybe I'm not alone in my thinking (haven't read the 9 pages here yet, but will!).

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
I have one episode left to catch up on this... then I can read the first 9 pages of this thread. I will probably create my own thread with my own thoughts as I have a lot. It probably won't be what people expect either, although maybe I'm not alone in my thinking (haven't read the 9 pages here yet, but will!).
Awesome! Now I am excited. :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No new comments on the latest episode? And the miraculous investor appearance who wants to pay cash and close in 3 days? All while solidifying Glenn's meaty profit? :rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
No new comments on the latest episode? And the miraculous investor appearance who wants to pay cash and close in 3 days? :rofl:

Labor day had me off track. I will watch it tonight. I look forward to seeing the miraculous investor first hand.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
No new comments on the latest episode? And the miraculous investor appearance who wants to pay cash and close in 3 days? :rofl:
Lol eyyyy I have been enjoying the show haha.

Bit busy at the moment but I should watch it by the end of the week!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have only watched the first episode so far, but watching people's reactions on here compared to what I see in the show has been priceless.

My favorite observation at this point is from whoever (I am not going back to look) was saying it was all staged because Glenn knew he was going to Pennsylvania based on there being snow on the ground. Meanwhile it literally zooms in on the GPS in the plane and shows them landing in Pennsylvania... it is like some people are instantly wired to just hate everything.

A close second is getting mad about him selling goods in a bar. Maybe it is different in Canada, but I don't see the police banging down the doors up here to shut that down. Tattoo face with Glenn also clearly was a regular at that bar as he seemed to know most everyone by name. So if stranger Glenn shows up with a regular and wants to sell merch at a bar with a regular, I don't see that being an issue.

This is also not shot chronologically. The voice-overs and monologue shots are not shot sequentially. So anything with that, or even footage from the show itself, is not necessarily all shot in order. It has all been edited together for maximum effect. So that needs to be taken in to consideration as well.

Overall, I had a HUGE takeaway from that whole "find your buyer" first. I am in a current situation where I know exactly what a customer wants, and they are even going to bid on something in 2020. So we have our buyer and know what they want, and are going to be part of that bid. Now time to get everything in order to make that work.

My wife and I have very different tastes when it comes to what we watch, and we both had a ton of fun watching this, and we had a great discussion during and after the show. So that alone is a MASSIVE win from this. Well worth the time spent watching it. It is hard to sometimes get my wife involved with how I think when it comes to business, so this show has been a great catalyst for driving this. To say I am excited to watch the rest of it with her is an understatement.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
No new comments on the latest episode? And the miraculous investor appearance who wants to pay cash and close in 3 days? All while solidifying Glenn's meaty profit? :rofl:
Again, I missed this setup and the fake miracle!
This process is pretty humbling.
First I watch the show and grab what I can. Like the social media marketing checklist at about 28:30.
Then I get over here where Dad offers some great good gossip.
The perpetual wake-up call from you MJ is think defensively.
You have to know how to read what's really happening in the game and keep your doubt, distrust and skepticism about people always handy. The humble lesson for me is that my skills there are limited. How do I improve in this area? Really rapidly?

The best moment in Ep 5 for me was Glenn's motto for not waiting for help and not just accepting the circumstances.
"Set your own table."

@MJ DeMarco

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
"Set your own table." Be a self starter. I love what he said to the web dev guy. Interesting. I think he almost blew his cover in that convo.

That goes along with @biophase new thread about growing businesses for sure.

Play offense!

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Actually after watching this...

Have you ever been on any RE wholesale lists? Generally they are super fast close cash or hard money transactions. They liquidate for enough under market that someone grabs it fast.

I subscribe to one called New Western. Deals are placed in no time. I have tried to put deals on a few multi family properties, there are usually 5-6 people interested in every deal.

They leave the door open and just let you walk in and look at properties sans realtors. It is way different than the dog and pony show we go through to buy and sell personal properties.

This is definitely plausible for someone willing to wait out some additional profit.

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I was watching just to see what happened but I had to stop when the show had him at 0 IQ and bought a house when he could clearly see mold in the basement. I'm not the sharpest hoe in the shed :smile2: but even I know better than that..... when on his time frame and budget.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Well my wife and I just finished Episode 2. Again, I live in Canada so it may be different for us than you guys down south. As far as the tires go, does anyone really care that he walked into some abandoned property and went through some trash and sold it? Sure it may not be technically legal, but does anyone care?

I know people that have gone to old barns (maybe asked the owners, but the net result was free either way) and ripped wood off of them to turn into picture frames to sell. That is the same general idea as finding scrap to flip.

Finding a car to sell... Again, I live in America's hat, so it may be different here. You go to any registry, grab a bunch of papers for vehicle sales. It is literally 1 or 2 pages (and free). You and your buyer fill them out. You take said paper to the registry and get it under your name. Done and done. If you are just flipping it just grab those papers, drive your car illegally for your 3 blocks and park it. Just do all the paperwork with the new person. Again, not 100% legal, but is anyone crying about it? Maybe if you get pulled over... Use your turn signals and don't speed or drive like an a**hole?

Sitting down with business owners who want to be a part of something new? Handshake agreements with no cash up front and work on a new business? HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I am literally doing this now. I have put hundreds and hundreds of hours into someone else's business BEFORE I EVEN SAW A PENNY, on a handshake deal... So take that for what you want, but it is possible to do. Have I since seen any money or did I get F*cked? I wont say... Oh, and I will add that it is pretty close to the point where I can in turn go and make handshake deals with others and get them to work for me with no money up front. Might be some paperwork involved with that, but I will figure it out as I go.

We are excited for episode 3. I will take this over Game of Thrones any day of the week. F*ck that show.

Nikhil God

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jun 18, 2019
I was watching just to see what happened but I had to stop when the show had him at 0 IQ and bought a house when he could clearly see mold in the basement. I'm not the sharpest hoe in the shed :smile2: but even I know better than that..... when on his time frame and budget.
Are we even watching the same show? I remember that he finds out about the mold when breaking the house down for redesigning with the interior designer.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I look forward to seeing the miraculous investor first hand.

Have you ever been on any RE wholesale lists?

Ahh yes.

So this house didn't make it to this mysterious wholesale list at a deep discount when it originally went to the MLS in a pre-renovation condition, but made it later after renovation? And then Glenn won the house as the top bidder in what should have been a huge bidding war of cash buyers looking for flips?

Interestingly, before it started I made note that the only way the flip house would benefit Glenn (within his deadline) is if he miraculously found a CASH buyer to avoid the 30 day close -- and that most cash buyers are investors who want to buy renovations for flipping purposes, not post-renovated move-in ready homes.

And sure enough, like a lifeboat drifting in the Pacific Ocean for a drowning man, it happens. To avoid the standard 30 day closing time on a house (hence making Glenn miss his reality TV deadline) Glenn miraculously finds a CASH buyer that is willing to close in just days. And that an "investor" still wants to buy a house that essentially has been already renovated. And that there is enough profit in the margin for all this to go down, as if Glenn purchased this home for pennies on the dollar, all while outbidding other investors (CASH BUYERS without a fake name, fake credit, and a fake SSN) ...

Sorry not buying it.

While people might think I'm just "hating" or being a negative nelly, I'm not.

A sociological experiment is invalid if doesn't fit reality or truth.

If I cheat to prove my scientific experiment, or introduce factors that aren't normal for the environment, am I really proving anything?

I'm not. And IMO, Glenn isn't either.

And that saddens me for those folks who are watching and do believe the dream IS dead. In short, it succeeds as an interesting business show with good business tidbits, but it is failing the sociological aspect.

Obviously there are TWO camps of viewers for this show... entrepreneurs who are looking at it for the business and operational aspect (most folks on this forum) and regular folks who are looking at it for the sociological and economic implications of the experiment.

I guess the disconnect is I'm critiquing this show from the LATTER camp (the sociological and experimental aspect as someone who might be broke), not the FORMER (the entrepreneurial / business aspect). It explains why I am, and will continue to be, the minority opinion.

but does anyone care?

I don't know, I guess it would depend on if YOU owned the tires and lost $1,500 because someone stole them from YOUR property. And who determines what is classified as "abandoned?" Your perspective? Or the owner of the land where the property resides? I own land that has frequent trespassers on it -- they're not entitled to anything on it, even the trash. And they're certainly not entitled to interpret what's on my property as abandoned because they feel it so.

I will take this over Game of Thrones any day of the week. F*ck that show.

Well if you're talking about Season 8, then I'm in full agreement. :rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.