The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Profit, entrepreneur business turnaround show on CNBC

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA
If you're referencing "the masses" then yea, I would agree -- I don't think your typical Sidewalker or Slowlaner would find it interesting enough to watch.

IMO, there really isn't any other reason to watch TV unless you're trying to learn something.

Yep, agree too. I love the show and hope it makes. It's CRAZY to see the amount of Car Cash franchises after the show. Remember in the show there was the one location, and after the show, check this out.
1-800 CarCash - About Selling Your Car at 1-800 Car Cash.jpg

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
לִפְנֵי־שֶׁ֥בֶר גָּאֹ֑ון וְלִפְנֵ֥י כִ֝שָּׁלֹ֗ון גֹּ֣בַהּ רֽוּחַ׃ [Pride precedes destruction, and an arrogant spirit before a downfall.]

This was why the early chapters of MJ's book were so profound, I think, in setting so many of us up for financial growth. Remember the lesson: Know who to listen to!

If you've only made $10,000 you listen with your mouth shut to somebody who's made 100K

if you've made 100K you listen with your mouth shut to someone who has made a million

And in the case of these episodes, if you've made 1.7 million and are only profiting $200,000, you sure as heck better shut up when somebody who has personally earned fifty million is telling you which way your business should go.

These episodes were almost too painful to watch. Four owners who ended up being "right," but as a result, will likely never be rich.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
I like watching them, because of two things:

1. Most of these owners are complete bozos, so it shows you the power in just taking action and not doing the mental masturbation routine.
2. Reminds me that "many" of your competitors are just like these guys, so don't be scared of competition. Go. Crush. Them!

I know they want it to be a drama, but it's more comedy than anything.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If you don't watch The Profit you're missing out.

If you watch it as it airs Marcus live streams on Facebook between commercials. Usually get some good behind the scenes insights. Sometimes he mentions things that got edited out.

I get something from every episode. One episode in particular was very relevant to my business and really opened my eyes to some things.

Also, if you're looking for a "job", Marcus is hiring in his new show "The Partner".

https://www.facebook.com/marcus.lemonis/videos/1117264771625046/

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The "entertainment" value is pretty low

If you're referencing "the masses" then yea, I would agree -- I don't think your typical Sidewalker or Slowlaner would find it interesting enough to watch.

"I'm here the learn something" perspective.

IMO, there really isn't any other reason to watch TV unless you're trying to learn something.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jason Murphy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Aug 11, 2011
Overland Park, KS

It's a sad sad world that shows like Real [FAKE] Housewives of Anywhere, Toddlers and Tiaras, Kardashians, and Honey Boo Boo appeals more to America. I guess it's easier for most of America to relate to shows with hugely disproportionate reality distortions than those shows that teach with a little bit of hard work they can actually have a better lifestyle.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Had high hopes, but it looks like it's all 2nd generation-business owner psychotherapy. I wish they'd do a business show like ESPN's Sport Science, and break all the numbers down in a mad scientist kind of way.

My end-goal with the whole video marketing thing is to amass the equipment, people, and resources to create broadcast-quality shows for smart people. I honestly hope to start a legit fastlane.tv that people can learn from and self improve. The type of shows I wish I had right now to watch.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
For me its really hard to believe that Marcus Lemonis is legit (even though it seems so). Because which serious businessman who runs a billion dollar company would put up with this shit?

The next episodes are even worse. To answer your question, even a billionaire can't always buy the kind of household recognition that star billing on a network TV show brings. Think how many Chefs out there are better at cooking than Gordon Ramsay. Probably hundreds at least. Now, how many of them can you actually name? Same with the Shark Tank. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people in the US alone who are far wealthier than all the sharks except Cuban (and a few dozen who are far wealthier than Cuban too), but have you ever heard of them? No. That means when they launch a product, buy a company, or write a book, their return for their time is far lower. Conversely, probably 5% as many people would have bought Lori's book before ST. Like MJ said, fame is a multiplier.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyone see the The Profit on CNBC?

It's pretty good...

First episode: Marcus "Fastlanes" a struggling business though the power of franchising.

Second episode: Marcus gets screwed on a deal by a trust fund baby who's still sucking on mama's teat -- the poor soul doesn't know jack shit about running a company.

Unfortunately, the 2nd show had a 60% ratings drop so we need some Fastlaner's to start tuning in!

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
I'd love to hear more about this.

Ask me anything. Basically it is an impulse buy product. Get the right location with loads of foot traffic and you will roll on the money. Popcorn sells more per pound than good steak. If I remember correctly, depending on the type, we would sell it at $25/lb. At a cost of a few bucks to make (labor/COGs/packaging/etc). We averaged about a million per store with 3 to start and expanded to 5 locations. Cash intense business and money would always 'go unaccounted for'. These are good business so long as you are disciplined and have CONTROL.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY
Reason I am asking is that I know many individual wholesalers who do very well. Seems like a viable business model, although being an individual isn't scalable.

A friend of mine does it with boats and absolutely kills it. The guy worked his entire life for the city doing something, I have no idea what. He always loved boats. When he retired he started driving around and stopping at every house that had row boats, kayaks, etc in the yard and just saying "Hey, I'll give you $30 for that boat." He'd go up to $100. He then flipped them just by putting a sign in his yard. Now with CL, he's buying and selling 5 or 6 boats a week at a profit of around $300 per. Certainly not fastlane but the guy is 72 years old and retired and mainly does it because he loves boats.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
D

Deleted4952

i just watched episode 2,

but i actually came here to mention another tv show called:

"SAVE OUR BUSINESS" with peter jones from uk's dragons den

trailer

Last edited by a moderator:

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
I saw episode 4 of season 2(Worldwide trailer sales) last night. It's so sad to see a company that is on the cusp of much greater things get held back by 2 childish owners.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Marcus' face here pretty much sums up the whole episode:

aoiKnWJ.jpg

D

DeletedUser394

Now THAT was an episode worth watching. They clearly saved the best for last.

None of the over the top BS drama. Yes there was emotion, but it was clearly because of how the owner reacted to the changes. The entire way through he was cooperative and responsive.

And what a powerful moment when Marcus gave that lady a check for $15k.

A+ on that entire episode, the rest of this season was utter crap compared to this. Had me cheering and nearly crying by the end of it.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Show is becoming a bit of a Reality TV dramafest, unfortunately. I wish the casting directors spent less time looking for unstable families to film and more time looking for businesses poised to make it big and focused on the brass tacks. That's why I like Shark Tank-I know it's edited and parts are played up, but compared to most reality TV it's pretty straight forward-Business, business mechanics, dollars and cents.

ace81385

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
May 6, 2015
You really show watch The Profit. The last episode is not the norm. I've learned a lot just watching the show.

I think its an awesome show. Ive been watching since the first episode, and sometimes I wonder why is buying into this business, and then I realize that he also buys a complementary business or businesses. He bought the used-car company, then buys a dealership to sell the cars, then tries to buy a sign maker because all his businesses need signs. Its really amazing. He buys a lighting company, sign company all of which are needed in every retail business..

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Just recorded/watching first episode. Entrepreneur Marcus Lemonis comes in and turns around businesses. Much better than any other reality tv crap.

The Profit

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the tip, as I do not have reg TV, shows like this pass me by.

The show was Blah for me. The cash for cars. Have not seen episode 2 yet. Basically it is like kitchen nightmares, but for reg business, which is odd, cause I thought why do they not do it for reg business years ago when I saw The nightmares show.

What I liked, his thinking was spot on, 100 locations making $25k a month, 2.5 million a month. good little business. Very fastlane.

What I didn't like, the drama, and the BS. Now if the did like they bar show where they explained the why, that would be great.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the reminder. Loved this show last season.

klm79

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 25, 2014
The toy episode last night was crazy. How dumb was the guy when it came to licensing?!?

Nascar...no one wants that despite the fact that we make toy cars.

SO many opportunities to license in that space....just think about Fast & Furious...Need for Speed for a few.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
The newest episode is a big reason why I'm weary of the idea of having a business partner. That one guy felt he was entitled to 50% of their business when he only invested $2,000. And when it came time to do some work, he walks out. I hope they were finally able to delude his shares.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.