The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Ice Cream Chronicles: Marketing Edition

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
We Ran Out of Ice Cream So We Decided To Sell Stories And Dreams!

This post is a reflection on part of the conversation I had with JackEdwards.

Once upon a time there was a dude named Andy and a ladybird named Raggedy Ann.

Andy worked at a Mercedes dealership and sold plenty of $100k Mercedes cars every single day. These vehicles would depreciate to $50k within a few years. GUARANTEED. What a lame investment. It didn’t matter though…he still sold them with ease.

Raggedy Ann was a financial planner selling investment vehicles that had a high probability of appreciating in value for many years to come, but she would ALWAYS struggle to make sales. What the heck? How can this be?

Andy was selling a story. He was selling a dream that the buyers envisioned for themselves. He understands how the customer’s brain works and taps into their emotions. He grabs their key desires through the story.

The story is everything. I need to incorporate more of this into my business.

I had a crazy idea immediately after I hung up the phone with Jack yesterday. I really like this $2 wine from Trader Joe’s called Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon. It has consistently won in blind taste tests against much pricier wines.

Why not purchase some cheap wine from a winemaker then put it in the most beautiful packaging the world has ever seen? Beautiful packaging, an amazing story inscribed on the bottle to accompany it, and an inflated price to justify everything. Become the Tiffany & Co. of the wine world. Just a crazy thought…too much on my plate right now to even consider taking on a 2nd business. Why not do this with other businesses too?

The story is what sells the alcohol...and ultimately gets you the ice cream.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

benh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 14, 2013
British Columbia
Andy was selling a story. He was selling a dream that the buyers envisioned for themselves. He understands how the customer’s brain works and taps into their emotions. He grabs their key desires through the story.

The story is everything.

This is a great point but can (should) you apply this to any business? Do customers searching for software care about the story behind it. No one else that my software will compete with has a story on their website. Possibly something I can use to my advantage. Thanks @IceCreamKid

EDIT

Your post also made me miss California and Trader Joe's :(

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
This is a great point but can (should) you apply this to any business? Do customers searching for software care about the story behind it. No one else that my software will compete with has a story on their website. Possibly something I can use to my advantage. Thanks @IceCreamKid

What's up bro! I think there may have been a misunderstanding with my post. I'm not saying to tell a full fledged story...I doubt that Andy tells the story of Mercedes when he sells cars. What I mean is he taps into the inner emotions of the customer by indirectly telling them how amazing their life would be if he purchased their product. Selling the dream basically.

Check out Salesforce.com's homepage. They pulled in $3B last year btw so I think they know what they're doing.

Do you see how they don't even list exact features on their homepage? Listing out features doesn't fire up someone's emotions and tap into their key desires. We NEED to tap into the key desire to get the ice cream, my brother! I'm working on this right now for my current business. I'm a blockhead so I didn't realize the weight of how important this was until Jack told me the Mercedes story...I subconsciously knew that it was important, but hearing it come directly from the guy's mouth pretty much validated it for me.

Instead of listing features, they're selling the dream of how you'll have the best, freshest leads so you can be the top 1% of salespeople. Only the best of the best.

They say nothing about features there. They're selling the dream...the story of how amazing your life would be if you only gave their product a shot. Make sense? If not, PM me. I don't have a lot of time though so if you do PM me please be respectful of my time. In other words, I expect you to take some action. I want to create a legion of drunken action taking ice cream lovers!

salesforce.jpg

Last edited:

system

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 6, 2014
@IceCreamKid Great thread as always. Appreciate you taking the time to drop some knowledge!

That's the insidious thing about products geared toward marketers. You know you're being marketed too, you can identify the steps, techniques, tactics...but it's still effective.
Well put.

benh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 14, 2013
British Columbia
What's up bro! I think there may have been a misunderstanding with my post. I'm not saying to tell a full fledged story.

Instead of listing features, they're selling the dream of how you'll have the best, freshest leads so you can be the top 1% of salespeople. Only the best of the best.

Okay I get it now. And yeah with those sales figures they know what they are doing. $3 Billion with a B! That's a lot of ice cream. Bookmarked that site for further research. Once I clicked on one of their products I expected to see a bullet list of features there, not so.

salesforce_mobile.png

They'll let you view the feature list but the default if still to sell you the lifestyle. I really like this concept and I realize now how effective it is in making you buy something. This thread is already so full of gold.

I don't have a lot of time though so if you do PM me please be respectful of my time. In other words, I expect you to take some action. I want to create a legion of drunken action taking ice cream lovers!

At this point I'm still working mostly on coding the application (I know learning to program is stupid) But once that is done-ish and I am getting the sales website on the go would you mind a phone call? Thanks again for all the awesome content you give us. I'd never want to be the guy that takes hours of your time and gives up or spends time making business cards.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
At this point I'm still working mostly on coding the application (I know learning to program is stupid) But once that is done-ish and I am getting the sales website on the go would you mind a phone call? Thanks again for all the awesome content you give us. I'd never want to be the guy that takes hours of your time and gives up or spends time making business cards.

Bill Gates didn't learn to code when he made his first software deal with IBM. I'm not saying that his way is the only way, but I try to model my actions upon others who have gone before me so that I minimize my mistakes.

PM me your name and number then we'll set something up. I actually have a backlog of PM's to set up phone calls with.

It's true, you don't want to be that guy who takes hours of my time and gives up. All of those who did that ended up mysteriously dying of natural causes 1 month later. I have deep connections with the ice cream mafia...not that it's related to those deaths or anything. ;)

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Lessons On Selling The Dream

Another person approached me to join his MLM cult this morning at church. I immediately recognized the red flags, but the kid seemed pretty ambitious so I let him talk for a few minutes about his “opportunity” that will allow everyone he recruits to become multi-millionaires. It blows my mind that these MLM's can pull in people who have an Ivy League education. Comes to show that you can pay a ton of money for business school and still not know anything about business.

Once you get some real business knowledge you begin to see how ridiculous the MLM schemes really are. They provide nothing of value to the world which is why they resort to brainwashing and manipulation to get people to buy their crap. I decided to check on YouTube to break down the schemes of these fools.

Note: I do not endorse or encourage joining MLM's unless your goal is to have a .01% chance at breaking even. On the flip side, you can learn a lot about sales/marketing by studying these dudes and that’s what this post is for.

This couple is responsible for extracting millions of dollars from the pockets of hopeful wantrepreneurs. Their intentions are sleazy and dishonest, but the psychology behind their marketing is timeless and proven to work.

Watch this short clip and think about my thought process as I tear it apart, piece by piece.

Husband’s introduction to establish authority and build rapport: “I lived up here working as a psychiatric nurse for 15 years. Worked crazy hours including the graveyard shift. Then a few years ago I got to become a full time dad because of what the opportunity provided for us. It came at the right time because I had been looking for a business since I had been through layoffs, pay cuts, etc.”

He gives himself a title (Psychiatric Nurse) to establish himself as a respectable authority figure. Then he talks about how he was just like you: working crazy hours, pay cuts, etc. Instead of talking to you like a salesperson, he’s approaching you like a friend who is just like you. We’re more likely to trust friends than salespeople.

After the introduction to build rapport, he hooks in your curiosity by hinting that he has a solution to your problems. He says it works because he’s done it himself! He’s a respectable psychiatric nurse so obviously he’s not lying.

Establish some kind of authority position then talk to the customer like a colleague.

Wife’s introduction of the system: “With the Team system I had some wonderful examples to look up to, just who they are as wives and who they are as mothers. Having our time back has been an absolute blessing."

Here we go again, people selling SYSTEMS! Are you starting to see how powerful it is to sell something as a system? The masses are lazy and want millions handed to them in an easy, step-by-step fashion. Give me the system so I can press the buttons A,B,C so ice cream can start falling from the sky.

Make your product/service look easy and simple to use. It appeals to the greed, laziness, and instant gratification needs of the masses.

They grab at your emotions by mentioning your key desires such as the ability to have your time back. Make sure you understand the key desires of your customers, bro.

Husband: “When I listened to the first CD, I realized everyone in the community had each other’s backs. They spoke like a real team. You have a turn-key system, it’s so easy. You can be a 9-year old on the beach and still make money. I’ve had businesses where I had to work 40 hours a week without similar results. I have great kids and I can directly attribute that to having good mentors through the books and CD’s AND a system that provided us the opportunity to grow.”

Wow, the system even comes with mentors who will hold your hand throughout the whole process? It’s a turn-key system? Once again, they appeal to the laziness of the masses. They also calm your fears by saying the community has your back and will be there for you like a real team. People are scared and don't want to do shit alone. MAKE YOUR PRODUCT/SERVICE AS EASY AND HASSLE FREE AS POSSIBLE. Calm their fears in any way possible.

He then attacks the “competition” which consists of the businesses he started before that failed. I’m telling you, attacking the competition works…not for all industries, but for some it just works.

He then pulls on the emotions and key desires of the victim again by mentioning how his kids are fantastic thanks to the system and mentors. Key desires. Key desires. Key desires.

“We had no idea how powerful the system would be. I am astounded with how much R&D went into the product”.

I see this all the time in copywriting where the seller discusses how shocked he was about how powerful the product really is lol. I just think it's funny as heck.

He mentions how much R&D went into the product because we’re trained to respect scientific data. The product sounds less believable if they were to say, “oh yeah we created this magic drink in our garage on weekends”.

Try to get scientists or some data that proves how amazing your system will be for your customer. They’ll trust you more.

“We’re going to Hawaii in a few weeks and the company is paying for the trip. I can’t believe that!”

Here we go again…more key desires and a display of proof that the system really works. They wouldn’t be able to make those trips if the MLM scheme didn’t work, right?

Display proof that your product/service is effective in the form of testimonials and real evidence.

“It’s the best way to lead people the truth and give them an amazing opportunities of travel, family, choice, freedom, and friends”.

Key desires. Key desires. Key desires.

“Thank you for giving us the opportunity to give back. This is the best opportunity I’ve seen out there”.

They finish off with this to appear that they have good intentions and only want to give back to the people. It builds trust with the customer.
Do you guys see how they didn’t discuss anything about what the business really is? They spent a full 6 minutes just talking about what you can achieve so easily with the system…totally appealing to the greed and laziness of the victim.

You don’t see anything about features and what tasks the victim must accomplish. That doesn’t get sheep to sign up for the MLM.
Sell the dream. The key desires.

Happy Sunday everybody. I know today is the day of rest for a lot of you, but how about you take some action and get some ice cream.

p.s. Don't go selling the dream, but delivering crap products/services. That's the fastest way to go broke. It's about quality bro. Sell the promise and deliver on it too.

p.p.s. If I suddenly disappear for no reason, call the police because the MLM gurus have probably kidnapped me and kept me in a dungeon for exposing the scam. I will never give up on you guys unless somebody locked me up haha

Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
MLM gurus have probably kidnapped me and kept me in a dungeon for exposing the scam.
Hehe...THIS is where I come in and orchestrate a rescue mission. If this happens...'trip word' to text me is 'Asparagus' (because it doesn't go with ice cream) and the team will be dispatched immediately.

I witnessed an MLM guru preaching to a married couple he'd never met before, then another woman joined, in at the airport a few months ago. They were drooling on themselves. I mean it was amazing...in a very sad way. They were physically on the edge of their seats. I listened and watched until I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed a Cinnabon and took a seat far far away and went back to reading.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I witnessed an MLM guru preaching to a married couple he'd never met before, then another woman joined, in at the airport a few months ago. They were drooling on themselves. I mean it was amazing...in a very sad way. They were physically on the edge of their seats.

LOL I am always amazed by how far an MLM zombie will go to get a client...I had to let go of one of my closest buddies a while back because he wouldn't stop harassing me. These are the exact words he told me:

"2,000 years ago Jesus got his Apostles together and started a revolution. This is the next revolution. You're either with me in this or you're against me". MLM's sometimes use religion as one of the tools for manipulation. Eek.

benh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 14, 2013
British Columbia
I witnessed an MLM guru preaching to a married couple he'd never met before, then another woman joined, in at the airport a few months ago. They were drooling on themselves. I mean it was amazing...in a very sad way. They were physically on the edge of their seats. I listened and watched until I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed a Cinnabon and took a seat far far away and went back to reading.

Now harness that power in selling your product and bring in truck loads of ice cream. I had no idea how powerful marketing was. I love all the real world examples and videos. I'm noticing common themes and really starting to see why I buy so much shit haha.

Don't go selling the dream, but delivering crap products/services. That's the fastest way to go broke. It's about quality bro. Sell the promise and deliver on it too.

I really like the honesty. You can be a great marketer but also provide tons of value to your customers. To me it seems like most companies are hitting on one or the other. The huge companies do both. I think it's time I started reading some books on the subject as well as following along with this thread. I'm expecting a gold tag pretty darn soon.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Now harness that power in selling your product and bring in truck loads of ice cream. I had no idea how powerful marketing was. I love all the real world examples and videos. I'm noticing common themes and really starting to see why I buy so much shit haha.

Marketing is the king of Candy Land. This is how you can easily pinpoint in the middle of a conversation who the newbie entrepreneurs are because they focus only on the idea.

I need help finding an idea. I heard there's a lot of money making t-shirts and creating the next iPhone app hit.

EDIT: If I lost everything today and had to start from scratch, I probably wouldn't focus on trying to invent the next big idea. Instead I'd service the masses who are trying to jump onto the next big idea. Who got the rich during the gold rush? The people selling the shovels and that guy Levi Strauss selling jeans to the gold diggers.

Last edited:

benh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 14, 2013
British Columbia
Marketing is the king of Candy Land. This is how you can easily pinpoint in the middle of a conversation who the newbie entrepreneurs are because they focus only on the idea.

I need help finding an idea. I heard there's a lot of money making t-shirts and creating the next iPhone app hit.

People come on here constantly posting about ideas even after reading MJ's book. People can't seem to let go of the fact that it's about getting sales. I could easily outsource my website focus only on marketing and make the ice cream rain down way sooner. The only reason I don't is because I find programming fun. I live in the middle of no where British Columbia. And I don't think I'll be moving any time soon. My wife's family all lives near here and most people consider getting smashed and watching TV to be the best hobbies. Not that there is anything wrong with drinking but hey I like my coding.

When I first started looking into being an entrepreneur I found this book called Far From It (By the way please don't think about buying this it's total bullshit). I Just had to buy it as soon as I read the copy on the landing page

FFI_copy.png

Building Rapport

The introductions show that like the target market they are just you people like me. To show authority they talk about their achievements. Robert having started multiple businesses. What he's young and he's started more than one business and doesn't work a 9-5!

They Are Special

The copy talks about them meeting only because of their mindsets which make them different from everyone else. Oh so if I red this book I can become special like them. Everyone and their brother these days thinks they are special so this is very appealing.

Selling The Dream

Fly around the world meet girls drive fast cars?? Take my money already!

Super easy to fall for this when you are first looking at trying to get out of the rat race. I spent like $40 on this crap. Total fluff and the authors appear to be fakes. This is why their forum is dead while the fastlane forum keeps growing. Both market well but the fastlane has real value.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Another great thread bro! Anyone paying close attention can truly change their life adopting your mindset/thought process...

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
@IceCreamKid This thread is awesome. Rep $ transferred.

Will be keeping a close eye on this for getting sales with my new products! I found the benefits over my competitors but I still have that little voice in the back of my head saying it won't work.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
@IceCreamKid This thread is awesome. Rep $ transferred.

Will be keeping a close eye on this for getting sales with my new products! I found the benefits over my competitors but I still have that little voice in the back of my head saying it won't work.

There will always be that little voice of fear. It still calls to me. You just can't let it paralyze you.

I wrote another marketing article for this thread, but have been hesitant to release it because I use MJ DeMarco's success as the case study to prove my points. Not sure if he'll take it the wrong way haha gotta ask his permission first.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
@IceCreamKid

I wanted to thank you again for calling me last week. The things you showed me are going to live with me forever. It’s one thing to read all the amazing advice and wisdom you have in copywriting, offline marketing and being a kick a$$ person in general. But it is a completely different animal to hear you express it in an audible setting. The animation in your voice and passion when you are conveying your message is simply amazing!

I’ve been applying everything you told me in real life, the results are starting to reflect the process you gave me.

I understand you value your time, I understand that some people will come along and waste it. I’m trying my hardest not to be that kind of person.

Since I’ve dug deeper and deeper into this forum, I see the trend of people that come and go. I’m not going to be that type of person. I’m here to stay. I’m soaking up everything you are saying in this thread, it is definitely something that will provide tangible results in my life.

Along my journey I only hope I can be as generous as you and the other top contributors here. I will always remember what you did for me when I reached out to you

You have the goods brother, Your Ice Cream shop will continue to expand.

Thanks again for everything Ryan.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I’ve been applying everything you told me in real life, the results are starting to reflect the process you gave me.

My brother, you will do just fine. You got the mindset, the drive, the network, and the hunger.

All you gotta do is continue to pound the pavement hard just like you have been for the past few weeks.

You're awesome man...just awesome. I have no other words.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I wonder how to apply this to a retail scenario where there are many products.

There is definitely a method for it, but it is far more subtle so most won't even realize it's there subconsciously impacting them.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Thanks for this thread, a lot of advice to take action on :) can use a bump.

Razz

VPH: Value Per Hour
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
515%
Apr 15, 2016
Dude, awesome gold and info in here @IceCreamKid. Love the examples, case-studies of proven techniques plus hive-mind forum to add perspectives.

Even though everyone gets something they want or desire from watching, some of us just do it for pure entertainment. That and finding a way to do it fast - intro, hook, message, solution, boom. Add in MJ's pull techniques and boom - viraility x10.

Boring copy and format often only achieves boring results. Boring products + innovative marketing = success. Guess that's pretty simple. As long as its good marketing... and I mean beyond good, but freaking great.

Best marketing busts the psychological barriers, gets in there, and makes the customer desire or want to do something.

Quick examples that aren't even on the top 10 (persuasive and otherwise):

GoDaddy: - selling domains with sex appeal. Can you remember before Danica? That GoDaddy girl? And when she wasn't a household name?
TurboTax: tax software so simple it doesn't take a genius.
Doritos: hey, want to go to the Super Bowl? Or have your ad aired to millions? Oh yeah, our products rock. Who cares if they lack nutrition.
Career Builder Monkey: Seriously? My office isn't a zoo? Dude... no wonder why the Office took off. Funny store on that marketing, getting successfully by having the office be placed onto every iDevice...

Basically, study what works - build your own process.

Dude I know you don't have a TV - but please tell me you go through the Super Bowl Commercials? It's a lesson in everything there, for free, year after year. Even the sucktastic commercials become viral from how bad they are (just don't have the hard data on sales).

Appreciate the focus on not only taking the mindset - but then embracing the next tool. I'd post this on the outside, but don't want the inside mucked up. If they can't figure out the value from your Mindset post alone, they don't belong here.

If you're new here, and made the jump - welcome. Pretty freaking awesome community.

Thanks again, IceCreamKid. And everyone else for the feedback and keeping things real.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thought I would add this in as a personal example...
@IceCreamKid

The Best Car You Will Ever Own Fact For Sale in Ballinasloe, Galway from therobfromireland

I made this back in 2012 when I was broke as can be. I had to move house across the country and didn't want to pack my things on the bus so I bought the cheapest car possible (literally sorted by price for the entire region) and drove all my stuff home. The drive was so amusing since the car is a wreck that that night I was inspired to write an ad that I sent to my brother for fun. Within two days it had 20,000 views and within a week I had multiple radio interviews, press stories, calls from the head of Volvo, a gift packet from the owner of the website and even some professional voice guy made a YouTube video version.

I sold it for more than it says in the updates - the company wanted me to send traffic their way but didn't want to look like they over payed for the car. I made more in one week than the few months working prior.

I have used this tactic multiple times since in different ways and love viral marketing. I think its possible for any company to get massive coverage on a small budget if done correctly. I have been in Maxim, sold products directly to the CEO of a major company and been threaten with legal action by very well known brands for small viral campaigns of less than $500.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 9.49.04 AM.png

Last edited:

Belcher

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 24, 2016
Australia
I wanted to touch on the virality aspect of the video, but I had no idea how to put it into words because virality is more of an art than a science. How would one quantify virality? How does someone become the next Rebecca Black? I'm still trying to crack the code for that and break it down into an actionable science.

@Bigguns50

Hey guys :)

I recently listened to a Podcast about "Virality" and think it could help you..

Here is the link : http://socialtriggers.com/viral-marketing-secrets/
I purchased the book that was plugged named Contagious. After reading the first few chapters, combined with the podcast, I believe you can have some of your questions answered..

*I have no affiliation with either Social Triggers or the book Contagious*

Hope it helps :)

P.S Thanks for the great thread IceCreamKid!!

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I wanted to touch on the virality aspect of the video, but I had no idea how to put it into words because virality is more of an art than a science. How would one quantify virality? How does someone become the next Rebecca Black? I'm still trying to crack the code for that and break it down into an actionable science.

I've pretty much cracked the code for virality in the offline world to some degree. I discussed it in the Secrets thread.

Basically I would perform some ridiculous stunt, but call the local news stations to let them know what I was about to do so I would get free TV exposure. My first stunt was probably the most successful one. I filled 2 garbage bags with $2 bills and stamped my company message on there. I slowly unloaded the bags from the top of a building onto a crowd below that was listening to the local mayor give a speech.

Virality is so much fun. I love being insane. I'd rather live my life as bright as a 10,000 watt bulb and burn out in an hour than live the next 40 years like a 15 watt bulb.

Can someone please help me crack the code to online virality???
Contagious & Hooked are 2 great resources around the topic of Virality

I've also had a few apps, a few videos, and a few social media posts go viral, but that's another story...

Last edited:

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
@IceCreamKid

The Best Car You Will Ever Own Fact For Sale in Ballinasloe, Galway from therobfromireland

I made this back in 2012 when I was broke as can be. I had to move house across the country and didn't want to pack my things on the bus so I bought the cheapest car possible (literally sorted by price for the entire region) and drove all my stuff home. The drive was so amusing since the car is a wreck that that night I was inspired to write an ad that I sent to my brother for fun. Within two days it had 20,000 views and within a week I had multiple radio interviews, press stories, calls from the head of Volvo, a gift packet from the owner of the website and even some professional voice guy made a YouTube video version.

I sold it for more than it says in the updates - the company wanted me to send traffic their way but didn't want to look like they over payed for the car. I made more in one week than the few months working prior.

I have used this tactic multiple times since in different ways and love viral marketing. I think its possible for any company to get massive coverage on a small budget if done correctly. I have been in Maxim, sold products directly to the CEO of a major company and been threaten with legal action by very well known brands for small viral campaigns of less than $500.

View attachment 12371

I also had quite a few girls reach out to me that I used to know and even some new girls want to meet up lol. Sales is powerful ;)
F*cking love this :rofl:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
@IceCreamKid

View attachment 12371
Well done!
I COULD buy that car!
But I'm feeling a little confused....

I wrote in somewhat a similar style for e-commerce products ads, but my client wanted something else...
I'm wondering is that perhaps I need to be more fun in writing copy?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Well done!
I COULD buy that car!
But I'm feeling a little confused....

I wrote in somewhat a similar style for e-commerce products ads, but my client wanted something else...
I'm wondering is that perhaps I need to be more fun in writing copy?

This was more viral for the fun element then actual copy that would convert people into buyers.

Good copy is copy that sells. Whatever sells the best is what matters - not how “cool” it looks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.