The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Four Best Books to Help Transform a Wantrepreneur into an Entrepreneur

oldkevx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Nov 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
If you had all the answers on what business to start you would already be doing it. You would be shipping your ideas in the form of a product of service. The simple fact is that something is holding you back. I know because I was in the same place for two years. They were the longest of my life.

After reading hundreds of books the following stand out as the best to help noobs to business. I hope you are able to save time and take immediate action by reading and implementing the ideas in these priceless books:

1) “Zero to One” by Peter Thiel
This book is the single most powerful book I have ever read (sorry MJ, but you made the list). The basic premise:

1) You can build a business that makes an incremental change in the world or;

2) You can build an amazing business that others can’t replicate. The path less traveled allows you to create a monopoly, one that separates time from money.

Why would I recommend this book to new entrepreneurs? Simple. If you are going to create a business, create one that matters..

Zero to One will challenge you to think big and take action.

2) “Rework” by Jason Fried (founder of 37Signals/Basecamp)
This book is a no B.S. quick read on what to do and what not to do when starting a business.

You can read it in an hour and put it aside or you can keep it on your desk daily as a reminder on what to do when you get stuck.

Skip this book at your own peril.

3)”The Millionaire Fastlane ” by MJ DeMarco

Forget about “follow your passion” and check out the 5 Wealth Commandments.

The largest takeaway from this book is how to transform from being a “consumer” to being a “producer.”

If you want to live like no one else then it requires a mindset shift. The shift is large and worth it. This book shows you how. This forum is full of people who want to help and we all subscribe to this mindset.

This book is a hard kick in the a$$.

4) “Choose Yourself” by James Altucher
Think a job is a safe bet for your future?

Why would anyone let one person/organization determine his or her future? James helped me make the jump from employee to employer.

Be sure to listen close to the story about the empty offices in the NYC skyscraper. The fallacy of companies taking care of you was gone with the industrial revolution.

You must choose yourself now more than ever.

Summary

No matter what, the best way to learn is by doing.

Make mistakes, step outside of your comfort zone and take action.

Taking courses and reading blogs won’t ever replace the act of creation and shipping. These books will make sure that you reframe your mind and stop passing through life on autopilot.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted35442

If you had all the answers on what business to start you would already be doing it. You would be shipping your ideas in the form of a product of service. The simple fact is that something is holding you back. I know because I was in the same place for two years. They were the longest of my life.

After reading hundreds of books the following stand out as the best to help noobs to business. I hope you are able to save time and take immediate action by reading and implementing the ideas in these priceless books:

This book is the single most powerful book I have ever read (sorry MJ, but you made the list). The basic premise:

2) You can build an amazing business that others can’t replicate. The path less traveled allows you to create a monopoly, one that separates time from money.

Why would I recommend this book to new entrepreneurs? Simple. If you are going to create a business, create one that matters..

This book is a no B.S. quick read on what to do and what not to do when starting a business.

You can read it in an hour and put it aside or you can keep it on your desk daily as a reminder on what to do when you get stuck.

The largest takeaway from this book is how to transform from being a “consumer” to being a “producer.”

If you want to live like no one else then it requires a mindset shift. The shift is large and worth it. This book shows you how. This forum is full of people who want to help and we all subscribe to this mindset.

Why would anyone let one person/organization determine his or her future? James helped me make the jump from employee to employer.

Be sure to listen close to the story about the empty offices in the NYC skyscraper. The fallacy of companies taking care of you was gone with the industrial revolution.

Summary

Taking courses and reading blogs won’t ever replace the act of creation and shipping. These books will make sure that you reframe your mind and stop passing through life on autopilot.
Haven't read book 2 or 4 but read Thiel's (and obv, MJs). Thiel's is far less applicable to many people. He has some interesting insights. But his mantra is essentially, build a monopoly. Easier said than done. He's a tech VC now since he came from PayPal (though he's not technical, he's a good business strategist). He's in the valley and funds almost all tech and capital intensive companies that could monopolize because they'd displace dated solutions. His book you'd find value in if you want to build a tech company. Apparently he funded some kid, think it was called Rexx Technologies. The company did more efficient chips basically.

I do like him encouraging kids to drop out and make a company though. Based on all this, I'd say @MJ DeMarco is the best in this list from what I know. He doesn't just change your mentality and inspire you, but he gives you a basic framework to start. Not to mention making himself accessible through this fantastic forum. More than I can say for Thiel. Cheers.

TheHound

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 23, 2015
Toronto
I'll take a look at the first one. This is my biggest problem - taking action. I have ideas but it's the initial getting started that is holding back. My plan was to start boxing in the next couple weeks which will hopefully help me with confronting fear and challenges

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Summary

I've read three of these.

For me, TMF is the best, followed by "Choose Yourself".

I remember reading "Zero to One" and thinking "Wow, that's smart... I never thought of that." However, as soon as I put the book down I completely forgot what those learnings were. They didn't quite apply to me and my level. Good book still.

The problem with reading lots of books is you're consuming, not producing.

My recommendation?

Read and listen to The Millionaire Fastlane , regularly.

And watch @SinisterLex 's short video here.

Lex talks of the difference between Wantrapreneurs and Entrepreneurs. It's short, insightful, and funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks for the shout out Andy.

Funny this post popped up as I was just making a video about it.

About being stuck and why other people's solutions so often won't work for us.

Head Types like you and me can easily get stuck in analysis paralysis and learning mode if we're not careful.

Reading can still be useful for us, but we have to be very careful about action-faking.

For instinctual types on the other hand, books may be just what the doctor ordered.

Some people take too much action with no direction, and the fail-point happens due to lack of knowledge.

A third type gets distracted by too much connection.

They get all caught up in emotions & creative ideas and get stuck imagining success instead of logically seeking it.

Some people need to read more.
Some need to connect more.
We all need to do more.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Thanks for the shout out Andy.

Funny this post popped up as I was just making a video about it.

About being stuck and why other people's solutions so often won't work for us.

Head Types like you and me can easily get stuck in analysis paralysis and learning mode if we're not careful.

Reading can still be useful for us, but we have to be very careful about action-faking.

For instinctual types on the other hand, books may be just what the doctor ordered.

Some people take too much action with no direction, and the fail-point happens due to lack of knowledge.

A third type gets distracted by too much connection.

They get all caught up in emotions & creative ideas and get stuck imagining success instead of logically seeking it.

We all need to do more.

Lex u hit the bullseye on that.

PoGOOD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 4, 2014
Warsaw, Poland
I read all of them except for the Zero to One. Looks like Amazon is going to have a new transaction today. It's good to be Bezos... :D

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
No books needed, just action.

This.

If you're searching for a book to "transform" you from wantrepreneur to entrepreneur, then you're doing it wrong. Just start a business. Figure out what you suck at/don't know. Acquire information (articles, books) on that topic. Improve yourself/your business. Fail. Improve. Repeat.

Reading is often times action faking.

My advice: stop reading. Start doing. Then read once you're doing.

That's the fastest way to stop being a wantrepeneur - not reading reading another book.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
This.

If you're searching for a book to "transform" you from wantrepreneur to entrepreneur, then you're doing it wrong. Just start a business. Figure out what you suck at/don't know. Acquire information (articles, books) on that topic. Improve yourself/your business. Fail. Improve. Repeat.

That's the fastest way to stop being a wantrepeneur - not reading reading another book.

That is exactly how I see it.

A wantrepreneur has already read the books. Now its just time to put the nose to the grind stone.

Hey, we've all been there.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
This.

Most of the times I would agree. However, reading is learning so if you're already doing I would recommend reading on your downtime. Like me for example I read those books as a wind down before i go to bed. So i'm still growing, even if it takes minimal action.

Reading is good if you're already doing something. If you have nothing or no projects you're working on, put those books down and start doing.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
Most of the times I would agree. However, reading is learning so if you're already doing I would recommend reading on your downtime. Like me for example I read those books as a wind down before i go to bed. So i'm still growing, even if it takes minimal action.

Reading is good if you're already doing something. If you have nothing or no projects you're working on, put those books down and start doing.
Read the text you quoted again. That's exactly what @AgainstAllOdds said.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can read or listen to great stuff and have it go in one ear and out the other. I don't even bother taking notes or highlighting any more.

My aha moments come when I've been head down working away, then read or hear something that gives me the words to describe something I've learned from doing.

A perfect example was hearing someone say to "Find the clients who see the value in what you do, and not the cost."

What a lovely saying. Sounds great huh? I could put that on a t-shirt or Instagram post it's so cool and insightful.

Except if you've been burnt a few times by nightmare clients, and have had some clients who are a joy to deal with, then all of a sudden that saying neatly summarises all your learnings to date and wraps them up in a nice little bow.

Theres a difference between talking about something you've read and talking about something you've experienced.

I can lose hours telling stories wih other agency owners and freelancers. War stories about nightmare clients and "the cheque is in the post" scenarios.

Don't get me started if there's another biker around.

Just think about the common bond between soldiers, fishermen, bikers, surfers, etc.

Their stories are real. They've lived them not read them.

The camaraderie of doing something off the beaten track, that's got its highs and lows, and risks and rewards... well, that comes from doing it, not reading it.

TL;DR?

I'll wrap this up in another little bow with a nice little line that will mean more to some than to others:

"Wisdom is earned."

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
"Wisdom is earned."

You are on the right way if you take action and after a few weeks, you grab a book and start reading...

...to find out that you already experienced 80% of the advice yourself. By doing stuff.

The best way to exponential development is massive action and getting RELEVANT advice when needed.

I started here on the forum by browsing hundreds of threads, reading thousands of posts, taking books full of notes.

Most of it is resting somewhere on my hard drive, untouched ever since.

I now try to read only what is relevant for me at my current stage.

AND then to ACT upon it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump.

Are you just reading to "learn", or will you apply any of those learnings IRL?

Are you a consumer or a producer?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Lex nailed it for me with:

We all need to do more.

There has to be a balance. Doesn't there?

Just doing limits your knowledge so you only learn by your mistakes. That’s costly, time consuming, and tragically, often a trap that is hard to get out of.

Learning from others mistakes (and their wins and successes) fast tracks your progress as you are not going down blind alleys, going bust big time, or ending up where you would have never intended to be if you had had a little knowledge early on.

For example, imagine working hard for a decade or more, running a business that will not scale, requires your input 40+ hours a week and will become obsolete within 5 years as technology chips away at your marketplace. A business that has so little commercial value that no one is interested in buying if you tried to sell it.

Sounds like a nightmare scenario, doesn’t it? But drive around any decent sized town and you will see dozens of businesses in that situation. The owner working long hours as the profits aren’t high enough to employ enough staff, or sometimes even any staff at all. Earning just enough to keep their head above water and not having had a proper holiday in a decade or more.

If they had read a book like TMF before they sank all their redundancy money into their small business they would never have done it.

On the flipside, we all know people who talk a good talk, have a million ‘great ideas’ and have read every business book imaginable. They can quote verbatim from Richard Branson and Steve Jobs autobiographies but will still be working the same dead end job for a pay cheque in a dozen years’ time. The ultimate action faker.

“Some people need to read more.
We all need to do more.”

Deep down we all know where we fit in that statement. Thanks @SinisterLex.

EDIT Just read this from another post that would have been a life saver to the business example above if only they could have read it before they committed to their business. Taken from The Millionaire Fastlane:

3135bn9.png

Last edited:

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Haven't read Choose Yourself yet. It's in my Anti-library

I think my biggest take-away from Zero to One was not to do the opposite from the masses, but to just think for yourself.

Edit: But still a damn Wantreprenuer..

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
All great books, I think TFL is the best starting point followed by Choose Yourself. The books are not expensive...just get them all. :)

+1 on getting audio books... a great way to be productive during your commute or long drives

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
Those other books might be great.But I don't think they can be compared to TMF and Unscripted combined.That I can say.TMF just stands out.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I’ve heard good things about these. Will check them out.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
"The Four Best Books to Help Transform a Wantrepreneur into an Entrepreneur"

tenor.gif

Priceless. Yeah, that's what a Wantrepeneur needs: more entrepreneur books! More reading so he can avoid actual work!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.