The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The final solution to all "I have some money what do I do?" threads.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
Failures of process always come down to exceptions... exceptions that break the process and carry consequences.

I understand what you are saying but I would change a few words around. I don't think it is a 'failure of process' because the act of failing is a process. You can NEVER break process. Process is a part of life and as long as you're breathing, eating, thinking and moving around you are naturally engaged in process. Process is a series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end. That ending can either be success, failure, or anything in between.

When we talk about process on this forum we are biased towards process as being good, understandably because we are all working towards a positive event. But failure is a negative event that also has its process too. So what makes up this process that we speak so highly of? Choices!

Small choices over a period of time add up to an event. In fact BIG events are comprised of smaller micro events. You don't become a serial entrepreneur after the success of one business. You don't make it to the World Cup after winning a single local soccer match.

Einstein says "compound interest is the eight wonder of the world," but I don't think that he's just talking about money.
Darren Hardy, a student of Jim Rohn has a whole hour talk about the compound effect.

It's not failure of process but rather the failure of making the right choices.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I don't think it is a 'failure of process' because the act of failing is a process.

In many cases though, it isn't. It's a fact of life that almost universally, construction is more protracted and takes more effort than destruction. Entropy trumps order. A building that took 20 months to erect can be dynamited in two weeks. Money you saved up for 9 years can be blown in one weekend. Sure, you can begin processes that lead you on a slow descent towards failure, and some constructs are so resilient (ex. an athletes body, a billionare's wealth) that it would virtually always take a process rather than an event to undermine them, but when you're just starting out, which is what this thread is about, an event can definitely take you out of the game.

Last edited:

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
I thought the thread started off saying make the right choices by leveraging money. :)

It's a fact of life that almost universally, construction is more protracted and takes more effort than destruction. A building that took 20 months to erect can be dynamited in two weeks. Money you saved up for 9 years can be blown in one weekend. Sure, you can begin processes that lead you on a slow descent towards failure, and some constructs are so resilient (ex. an athletes body, a billionare's wealth) that it would virtually always take a process rather than an event to undermine them, but when you're just starting out, which is what this thread is about, an event can definitely take you out of the game.

It's a universal law that everything must remain in equilibrium, aka the law of conservation of energy, aka the first law of thermodynamics, aka maximum entropy. It takes just as much energy to build something over time as destroying it over the same period of time at the same rate. You are comparing events of different states. Another way of saying it is you are comparing micro events to big events. I'll use your examples.

A building that took 20 months to build brick by brick will probably take 20 months to take down brick by brick (same state). But a dynamite is concentrated energy (different state). I think @MJ DeMarco calls this magnitude in his book when talking about price and cost.

The next time you drive think about how 1 gallon of fuel is moving several tonnes of steel for dozens of miles. It's not just 1 gal of any liquid, it's 1 gallon of concentrated solar energy and Earth's gravity over millions of years.

The guy blowing his 9 years saving over a weekend must have spent it on something of gargantuan magnitude greater than his savings. Likewise with the billionaire, it's just a matter of $$$ amount.

The choices that you make also contains within it scale and magnitude. But unless you are making a billion dollar decision (magnitude), the many little choices that you make in deciding what to do with your money will eventually lead to big things (scale).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Wishful thinking won't change anything. What's going to change in the next 24 hours?

That's all it takes is a wish. I first was on this site when I turned 17 and read this book. Since then the firm I spoke about 3yrs ago + (now) has grown just based off a wish and a couple one liners I read on this site.

Wishful thinking in my opinion is the only motivation you need to change the next 24 hrs of your life.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
That's all it takes is a wish. I first was on this site when I turned 17 and read this book. Since then the firm I spoke about 3yrs ago + (now) has grown just based off a wish and a couple one liners I read on this site.

Wishful thinking in my opinion is the only motivation you need to change the next 24 hrs of your life.
Wishful thinking is the seed that starts it all. It comes after belief but precedes the idea stage. @MJ DeMarco had a seed planted in his mind during his childhood when he saw a young man in a Lambo. His belief was that only celebrities and mega rich people could afford such things, but it was shattered when he found out the young man was an inventor. This event causes a paradigm shift in his thinking and he said to himself that he could do it, and the rest is history.

However wishing, thinking, and saying is cheap. The next step is massive action. Like the Richter scale, each step up requires 10X the energy and effort of the last one. Congrats on your firm, you have wished about, spoke about it, took action, and the next step is making it a habit.

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

- Mahatma Gandhi

D

DeletedUser394

I'm going to say it again, this thread got to me at the right time.

Returned a bunch of crap I had just bought that I didn't need (distractions).

All told, I've saved about $1,000 just by reading this thread. Have another bit to go.

I took that money and added it to one of my passive income streams (100% passive in this case, I don't have to do anything).

That $1k addition is going to net me a grand total of 0.11c per day, 365 days per year. It's a small fraction of the sum of the income stream, but I view it as symbolic more than anything.

Would I rather work 'x' amount of hours to afford 'y' amount of crap, or would I rather have my money work for me so that I don't have to work for my crap. I prefer the latter obviously.

DSC_0201.jpg

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I took that money and added it to one of my passive income streams (100% passive in this case, I don't have to do anything).

Have some rep. Nice to make a difference.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
$25*12=300 just in the last "week or two." Nobody ever became obese from one order of fries, or an alcoholic from one drink. If $25 is part of a good process that leads to saving $600+/mo, it does matter a great deal

I see it like castling in chess. People make a stupid move when there are foundational things begging for attention!

For anyone that doesn't get chess at all, I guess I'm saying it is like selling your winter coat in autumn, because the past 8 months you haven't needed it.

When you get to the root of it all, like Enaeka does, it is absolutely crucial that money isn't "traded down" early, but instead used to form strong foundations that can self generate.

You first hit a paralysis point (because your foundations aren't built well enough) before that foundation generates anything. Most people take that as a failure in approach, and start SPENDING, but if you keep piling up the torsion in your foundation, it starts leaking and bleeding cash out of its cracks, into your pockets.

And when that happens, you take a breath and just relax, clarify your mind, and destroy the last of that stupid spending attitude. You start telling yourself what you need, rather than letting money tell you what you need.

You become the eye of that storm, and let all the logistics go to battle infront of you, as you figure out where the money will go and when.

To very slowly spend, and very quickly stir up opportunity is the only real way to stack things in your favor.
And holy moly does Enaeka ever GET IT.

Reading this was great, because it made me think even deeper on this point (and what a good one it is) you have to EXPECT paralysis, in order to not freak out, then you need to address the real issues and get the wheels moving.
Anything less is garunteed failure.

Use the resistance to your advantage, by getting REAL in your approach, and stop jumping at BS whenever you get the chance.
Hold OFF
Use the restistance to find the smarter move

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That $1k addition is going to net me a grand total of 0.11c per day, 365 days per year.

There in a nutshell is the whole philosophy. Just add a few more zeroes. :)

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah I am guilty.

Checked my checking account and the past two months I have spent around $600 each month on fast food, eating out, alcohol , cigarettes.

Going to cut out the drinking and smoking. I can buy 2-3 months worth of food at Costco for $600.

Feels bad when I see the total amount. Time to take action

D

DeletedUser394

Failures of process always come down to exceptions... exceptions that break the process and carry consequences.

Oh, it's only one cookie...
Oh, it's only one donut...
Oh, it's only one hooker...
Oh, it's only one snort...
Oh, it's only one car...
Oh, it's only 12 easy payments...
Oh, it's only a weekend...
Oh, it's only...

..and now it's only $7,000 :D

Untitled.png

Which represents about .76c/day in fully passive income. That's less than 1% of what I'm doing overall, but strictly from a 'conscious consumer' standpoint, this is how much I"m up from this thread.

Been keeping track in a separate account since this thread was started.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

sQri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 27, 2014
Easily one of the best posts in this forum.

View attachment 8574

Which represents about .76c/day in fully passive income. That's less than 1% of what I'm doing overall, but strictly from a 'conscious consumer' standpoint, this is how much I"m up from this thread.

Just to be curious, what do the $7.000 stand for? The money you want to spend, but you didn't, because of this thread?

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
>Just to be curious, what do the $7.000 stand for? The money you want to spend, but you didn't, because of this thread?

I think so.

Just to compare notes, since I wrote this, I eliminated about $9.00-12 in daily spending on take-out and other nonsense (used to spend about $2.70/day min on coffee, now I don't drink it at all. It sickened me how many pain killers I had to take to come down from caffeine totally). To date, I've saved about $2,300 on useless stuff. RK is still kicking my a$$, but it's something.

D

DeletedUser394

Easily one of the best posts in this forum.

Just to be curious, what do the $7.000 stand for? The money you want to spend, but you didn't, because of this thread?

More or less. Basically it's the accumulated money that I absolutely couldn't justify spending at this point.

For example I still order out, but not on random days, only for events or with friends. Like last night to watch the Eagles destroy the Panthers.

I wanted to buy a new ipod (my cell plays music just as well), a pair of skates (already have a pair in great condition), etc, etc. Those things I couldn't justify so they added to the total.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
D

DeletedUser394

Do you live near Philly? If so, we should hang out.

haha not quite. Roughly 2,500 miles away.

I had money on them last night which is why I was interested. I'm watching all the games this season (...moderately bad habit).

sQri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 27, 2014
More or less. Basically it's the accumulated money that I absolutely couldn't justify spending at this point.

For example I still order out, but not on random days, only for events or with friends. Like last night to watch the Eagles destroy the Panthers.

I wanted to buy a new ipod (my cell plays music just as well), a pair of skates (already have a pair in great condition), etc, etc. Those things I couldn't justify so they added to the total.

Thanks for the clarification. It's a good idea to save up the money in a separate bank account, even if it's $1 at a time.

G

GuestUser140

View attachment 8574

Love this.

On a side note: how guaranteed is that 4% return?

D

DeletedUser394

Love this.

On a side note: how guaranteed is that 4% return?

Thanks!

Return for this particular project is typically higher, but 4% is what I'm comfortable stating, because that portion is as guaranteed as you can get without actually having a guarantee. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.