The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The definitive guide for MFG/QC issues and what you ecommerce sourcers and inventors must know

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
GD&T Profile Definition
In GD&T, profile tolerance defines a uniform boundary around a surface within which the elements of the surface must lie. Profile is a complex tolerance that simultaneously controls a feature‘s form, size, orientation, and sometimes location. Profile is a three-dimensional tolerance that applies in all directions regardless of the drawing view where the tolerance is specified. It is usually used on parts with complex outer shape and a constant cross-section like extrusions.

An example of profile tolerance is shown below. The top figure shows the profile tolerance applied to a curved surface. The boxed symbols can be read “with respect to datum A, this surface must lie between two surface boundaries 0.8 apart and spaced equally about the true (or ideal) surface profile”. The bottom figure shows an example of a part that meets this tolerance.

Attachments

• Profile3.jpg
    Profile3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 7

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
GD&T Total Runout Definition
In GD&T, total runout is a complex tolerance that controls a feature‘s straightness, profile, angularity, and other geometric variation. Total runout is different than runout because it applies to an entire surface simultaneously instead of individual circular elements.

An example of total runout tolerance is shown below. The top figure shows a total runout tolerance applied to a horizontal surface. The boxed symbols can be read “this entire surface must have full indicator movement (FIM) of less than 0.1 relative to datum A”. The lower figure shows how total runout is verified. Note that the indicator is applied all along, and perpendicular to the surface to which the tolerance is applied.

Attachments

• total_runout3.jpg
    total_runout3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 4

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
GD&T Cylindricity Definition
In GD&T, cylindricity tolerance is used when cylindrical part features must have good circularity and straightness, like pins or camshafts. While circularity applies only to cross sections, cylindricity applies simultaneously to the entire surface. Since cylindricity is applied to an individual surface, this tolerance does not need to be related to a datum.

An example of cylindricity tolerance is shown below. In the top figure, a shaft has a cylindricity tolerance applied to it. The boxed symbols can be read “this surface must lie between two concentric cylinders spaced 0.2 apart”. The lower figure shows a sample part that meets this tolerance. Note that this tolerance requires verification in all three dimensions. Because cylindricity refines the form of a surface, it is treated like flatness in order to perform a tolerance stack.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Cylindricity.jpg
    Cylindricity.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 4

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
GD&T Perpendicularity Definition
In a mechanical part drawing, perpendicularity tolerance allows the designer to specify the degree to which the orientation of a right-angled part feature may vary. The perpendicularity symbol is often used on a drawing to ensure that mating features can be assembled. In most cases, the perpendicularity symbol is applied to a feature-of-size (FOS) with its base dimension. The tolerance zone is created perpendicular to the specified datum, and a part feature, axis, or center plane must lie within it.

Attachments

• perpendicularity_6.jpg
    perpendicularity_6.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 4
G

Guest58302

Just finished reading through this.
Thank you for the thread and I appreciate it being on the outside.

The main point I've garnered through my reading is to take the initial manufacturing process very seriously. The more hard work put into the process up front will bear the fruits of having lesser and smaller problems to deal with later.

Also, are you able to provide a link to the third-party articles that you use? (They are pretty easy to find with a search engine but I still think that it would be good to source them).

Aston_M

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
May 31, 2014
England
Hey, great post, I am in the process of importing 2500 units of a electronic product, production has finished, we have had 6 units sent to us to test and 3 out of the 6 units have broken / are faulty.

How should I resolve this with the factory in China? Do I get them to rework, I have no way to test every pair for a good amount of time to ensure the quality, any ideas?

The pre production samples were perfect and had no issues.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Hey, great post, I am in the process of importing 2500 units of a electronic product, production has finished, we have had 6 units sent to us to test and 3 out of the 6 units have broken / are faulty.

How should I resolve this with the factory in China? Do I get them to rework, I have no way to test every pair for a good amount of time to ensure the quality, any ideas?

The pre production samples were perfect and had no issues.

Please send me a PM

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
amp0193, thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated! And sorry for the off-topic post. I think I will start a new thread of my own, as per your suggestion.
feel free to PM me with specific questions. Id be glad to help anyway

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Wanted to bump this thread because I wanted to point out that @amp0193 @B. Cole are slaying it. I am proud to help them and proud that they are absorbing all of the intricacies (despite being the holidays and going through hell and back) of manufacturing and product sourcing. This was not meant to be easy but I have full confidence in them because of their attention to detail and work ethic (respectively).

The main idea i would like for anyone to understand is the importance of what is at stake (when you are first starting out). The factories in the east are a different breed. You need to compel them from the getgo (especially the best factories and manufacturers) that you ARE the real deal and that you mean business and actually know what the F*** you are talking about. Big props to @B. Cole especially because he is dealing with certain suppliers that cant even speak english! There are no excuses because NUMBERS are universal language. Processes and images (which clearly the yesteryear idiom a picture is worth 1000 words cant be truer) are your best friend. Prints and CAD markups with less text and more numbers can work wonders if time is scarce... Generally speaking you want to make sure you have checks and balances put in place to avoid any nonsensical issues in the future. All of this legwork is a must and believe not just me but @amp0193 and @B. Cole (their experiences truly).

Hope everyone is having a good easter holidays.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Hey everyone,

A lot has changed over the past few weeks, and I am transitioning into the bio-medical realm as manufacturing and industrial construction have become an inherent warzone now due to COVID and now (monkeypox).
Would like to add that the underlying principles are still the same but now a lot has changed solely in terms of logistics...
Driver shortages, logistics provider capacity issues, inflation, shipping delays, increased freight costs, depleted inventory levels, labour shortages and demand peaks are driving discussions and require persistent attention.
The global shipping crisis has resulted in ridiculous prices and months-long delays, causing companies and stores to struggle to keep inventory in stock.

Here is a useful article to help those here that dropship, source or are dependent on goods from overseas.

In my opinion
Consumers can expect to feel the effects of the disrupted supply chain for at least another year.
The war is really complicating things. We are still seeing these closures in China that reduce the supply of goods for production in other parts of the world. But I think we’ll have at least another year of low growth, high prices, and bare shelves.

supply-chain-trends-1024x1024.png

And due to all these issues and worldwide problems,
the tried and tested linear progression of supply chain will be replaced with more Circular models (due mostly to resource allocation and stricter government controls)

missing_link_in_the_circular_supply_chain_wide-1024x390.jpg

Which ultimately means that one would have to diversity and adapt their system(s) (be it supply chain, suppliers/vendors etc).

Diversifying your supply chain is easier said than done. You have to research new facilities and make sure they can provide the same quality your customers are used to. It’s an exhausting process, but by relying on a single source for your materials, manufacturing, or warehousing, you lose flexibility when delays occur—whether that’s due to a backed-up port or a local lockdown that halts production.

The thing is, with or without the pandemic, supply chain disruptions happen for many other reasons. So while diversifying your supply chain is an investment of time and resources short term, it could be worth having multiple relationships you can call on when disruptions occur and you need to change course. Smaller brands can use this as an opportunity to find cheaper places to source and produce their products without completely abandoning their original suppliers.

Have multiple fulfillment options, including self-fulfillment

According to Ryan Kelly, VP of ecommerce marketing at FedEx, “Many merchants only utilize a single location for fulfillment,” he explains. “If a business doesn’t have the ability to self-fulfill, it should consider that as a backup option.

If a business only self-fulfills, it may want to complement its supply chain with a third-party logistics provider in a different part of the country to serve as backup and also help improve transit times and lower costs.”

Develop a relationship with another factory or material provider

Similarly, you might consider establishing a relationship with an additional factory or other material providers in case of a local shutdown. For example, many companies manufacture in China, but Vietnam has become another prime soft goods manufacturing hub12 in recent years.

Shutdowns and delays can happen anywhere for any reason, so the lesson here is: Diversify your relationships geographically so you can adjust to sudden changes swiftly with less impact on your business.

References:

1“Why Shipping Is So Expensive in 2021 and How to Navigate It.” Optimoroute.com

2“The shipping crisis is getting worse. Here’s what that means for holiday shopping.” CNN.com

3“5 reasons global shipping costs will continue to rise.” Think.ing.com

4“How to Claim Section 321 for Your Ecommerce Shipment.” Shipbob.com

5“Lead times at record highs and ‘still accelerating’: ISM.” Supplychaindive.com

6“A record-breaking 44 container ships are stuck off the coast of California.” Businessinsider.com

7“North American retailers turn to airfreight as sales soar.” Aircargonews.net

8“Shipping Air or Ocean Freight.” Freightos.com

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hey @Arun Siva,

I'm shopping around for a lower product liability insurance rate, and was wondering if you knew anything about getting added onto a manufacturer's policy, and if that's possible to do, worth doing, and what all it would cover, if anything.

I came across this short article, and it got me thinking: https://www.chinalawblog.com/2010/09/if_you_are_a_retailer.html

"Importers/retailers can lower the price of their product liability insurance (and oftentimes increase their protection as well) by requiring their Chinese suppliers indemnify them for costs arising from faulty products and by requiring those suppliers secure their own product liability insurance naming the importer/retailer as an additional insured on these policies. If the importer/retailer is named as an additional insured on the Chinese manufacturer’s insurance policy, the importer/retailer itself will be able to file claims agaist the policy."

"The best way for American importers/retailers to protect themselves from product liability risk is usually to have their Chinese manufacturers secure a U.S.-based product liability policy... "

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Damn @Arun Siva! I just caught up with this thread and wished we got to talk a lot more at the summit! Pure gold here learned only through experience! New importers that read through this are going to cut their problems in half before they even begin.

Rep++

Yes agreed. thanks man

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
if anyone needs any analysis regarding their samples or defects of whatever they are sourcing feel free to pm me.

i will try to update when I return from my current trip.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
thanks for the words @amp0193 and the reps+ wonder how long it will take for it to be notable lol

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Sorry it has been awhile. Been swamped with some final projects here and had several major operations (luckily am recovered).

If anyone needs laser focused help growing their manufacturing/new product development business into perfection (we are talking about implementing and maintaining fluid/auto-pilot systems) please feel free to PM me.

I will be posting an ad soon on the marketplace as there are a myriad of supply chain issues (thanks COVID) and have been getting calls left and right about how to mitigate/cope/adapt to the situations post pandemic.

Last edited:

DukeDeValentino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 5, 2021
Thank you for taking so much time to provide us with the valuable information in this thread! It has been very helpful!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.