The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Costanza Method" Challenge

Anything related to matters of the mind

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I've been in a rut, my business ventures have slowed and got thrown way out of wack after moving back home with my inlaws. I'm having trouble gaining more clients for my "EngineerThis" service, and my Home service business Crystal Clear has also slowed due to the lack of homes in Northern Michigan... Besides that, I'm off my workout routines, and starting to spend copious amounts of time on Youtube again.. You get the picture. I've been trying to right the boat for a month now, and losing steam... For a bit of added pressure, my wife is expecting our first child in December! :D I'm super excited and need to make my efforts count. Clearly, they haven't... So got me thinking of a favorite Seinfeld episode... Where George's life is in the dump, and he realizes every decision he's made was wrong.. He gets the idea to start doing the opposite of his instincts.. He goes on to get the girl, the dream job and truly becomes an integrated male that's killing it.
Here's a clip
I need a refresher, I'm desperate, I'm wrong.... Let's change that with a challenge! I'm going to try and do the opposite of my intuition, and frankly my fears.. And see what happens! Obviously open to input, ideas, and teammates if anyone wants to join!
Example:
-I wake up early, and either flip on Youtube or read a book... Instead, I'm going for a bicycle ride!
Rules:
-Not changing things that obviously work fine (Low carb/sugar diet, Bed at 10pm, up at 6am, staying sober etc.)
-Loose _____ for the next day, if I succumb to what old Ian would do...
-Win _____ at the end of the day if i go the whole day doing opposite stuff...

Wish me luck! Will post here for accountability!

ps: It goes against my better judgment to "journal" online like this... So starting on the right foot already! Lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
That's not how you get ahead. It seems you put very little effort into your business from what I can observe. Have you tried every marketing strategy? every channel?

Changing up your daily routine isn't the silver bullet you think it is:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJpU43NA0c

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
I've been in a rut, my business ventures have slowed and got thrown way out of wack after moving back home with my inlaws. I'm having trouble gaining more clients for my "EngineerThis" service, and my Home service business Crystal Clear has also slowed due to the lack of homes in Northern Michigan... Besides that, I'm off my workout routines, and starting to spend copious amounts of time on Youtube again.. You get the picture. I've been trying to right the boat for a month now, and losing steam... For a bit of added pressure, my wife is expecting our first child in December! :D I'm super excited and need to make my efforts count. Clearly, they haven't... So got me thinking of a favorite Seinfeld episode... Where George's life is in the dump, and he realizes every decision he's made was wrong.. He gets the idea to start doing the opposite of his instincts.. He goes on to get the girl, the dream job and truly becomes an integrated male that's killing it.
Here's a clip
I need a refresher, I'm desperate, I'm wrong.... Let's change that with a challenge! I'm going to try and do the opposite of my intuition, and frankly my fears.. And see what happens! Obviously open to input, ideas, and teammates if anyone wants to join!
Example:
-I wake up early, and either flip on Youtube or read a book... Instead, I'm going for a bicycle ride!
Rules:
-Not changing things that obviously work fine (Low carb/sugar diet, Bed at 10pm, up at 6am, staying sober etc.)
-Loose _____ for the next day, if I succumb to what old Ian would do...
-Win _____ at the end of the day if i go the whole day doing opposite stuff...

Wish me luck! Will post here for accountability!

ps: It goes against my better judgment to "journal" online like this... So starting on the right foot already! Lol
I think you should try focusing on one thing at a time. Because by doing that you can give time to that venture and focus on growing it.

Try targeted paid ads to grow your business, but first make sure that you are providing good value to your customers.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
That's not how you get ahead. It seems you put very little effort into your business from what I can observe. Have you tried every marketing strategy? every channel?

Changing up your daily routine isn't the silver bullet you think it is:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJpU43NA0c
You are 100% correct, I haven't tried everything, not even close. I haven't had the energy or the willpower so to speak, it's not so much business related as it's my depression. That's why I wanted to shake things up and break the pattern. Today has been excellent actually, biked 10 miles and ran some errands before 7am! Had some more work come in, so the risk I took has paid off. Between the exercise, and knocking chores off my plate so early, I've already spent several hours working. Been a great day so far.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
So update! WOW Has my life improved. I love being Ian 2.0...
-Instead of assuming, I decided to ASK! I created a poll here to find out the biggest pain points people have when creating an invention. The results were different than I thought and I used this info to pivot my EngineerThis service! New Ian, also decided to giveaway 5 slots of my time to random responders of the poll. I wouldn't of "given' my time away in the past... This led to some amazing conversations! A couple gave glowing reviews I did not ask for, and another even offered to redo my website as a form of repayment for the knowledge I gave.. WOW! Way better to give than get!
-Everyday I've woke up at 6am and went right to bicycling, skateboarding, skating, or walking for an hour.. This gives me so much energy in the morning, and the quiet city gives me time to think. Way better than flipping on Youtube, as my old habit..
-With my newfound time in the morning, I volunteered a few hours one day at a local campground my wifes friend operates putting up new signs, this led to a happy wife. And super weird, one of my old friends from highschool, who I haven't seen or spoken to in 11 years.. WAS CAMPING THERE!! We're several hours from where we grew up. Totally weird, we caught up and it was fun.. Old Ian wouldn't have volunteered and probably would've dodged his old classmate.
-I've leaned heavily into the consulting side of my EngineerThis business, old Ian wasn't confident enough in his perceived knowledge, and would rather stay a designer on the computer. Business has picked way up, as I moved more into coaching/consulting!!! Super psyched!
-I've been reaching out to members on here whom I know I could help, or work together with them.. Old Ian would not of contacted them first.
-I thought a way I can help more people would be to do a seminar at the local college... Old Ian never considered this, as public speaking is scary, and "I'm not one of those guys".. Needless to say, I'm excited and have been practicing. I think this could be the start of something huge.
-Old Ian liked to work solo, new Ian asked one of his clients for help finding a networking group! In Person *Yikes* @OutofPoverty recommended BNI a networking group with chapters everywhere.. I signed up for the soonest meeting.
-I realized last night the meeting was over an hour away, and started at 7am.. Old Ian would've said F that... It didn't help I had no clue if I was even allowed to attend, how it would be conducted etc.... But I WENT.
-Old Ian would've sat in the back and made a good wall support. New Ian introduced himself to everyone, and actually shared some advice I thought could be helpful to some of the members! Everyone was extremely interested in my business and hoped I would attend again!
-Afterwards, they invited me to stay with a few of them for breakfast.. Normally I would've politely declined, New Ian accepted, I sat with 2 guy about my age who are building their own software. We hit it off big time, they have some work for me, and have friends that need me too! How about that! It felt absolutely wonderful to be around people that were entrepreneurial, making changes in their community, and trying to rise to the top. It felt so good to be around them all.

So I'd say I've had some major breakthroughs this week, I'm feeling fantastic, and will continue to challenge myself and my old ways because so far it's led to some interesting new roads that are BETTER!

Last edited:

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Ian, have you contacted your downstream (manufacturing) contacts to let them know about your company and explain how you can work together to develop a mutually beneficial relationship? I had a startup consulting engineering firm for 23 years that gravitated into mostly the industrial sector because working with architects was such a PITA. I developed relationships with everyone in the supply stream - contractors, equipment suppliers, utility providers - and seldom had to do much marketing other than phone calls and occasional lunch meeings to stay plugged in. After the other entities learn that you’re an honest and hard working team player they will funnel clients toward you.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Ian, have you contacted your downstream (manufacturing) contacts to let them know about your company and explain how you can work together to develop a mutually beneficial relationship? I had a startup consulting engineering firm for 23 years that gravitated into mostly the industrial sector because working with architects was such a PITA. I developed relationships with everyone in the supply stream - contractors, equipment suppliers, utility providers - and seldom had to do much marketing other than phone calls and occasional lunch meeings to stay plugged in. After the other entities learn that you’re an honest and hard working team player they will funnel clients toward you.
Currently, I'm cultivating sources that I can recommend to my clients as I know that's a huge value ad. I'm definitely looking for reputable manufacturers to send clients too.

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Update!
-I just had my first $1000 day yesterday! Old Ian was self-conscious about his prices, would cut deals, and under-count his hours spent. No more! Because I was going for gold, this was by far my favorite product design yet, and it really shows took me 12.5 hours.
-I will be attending my first-ever martial arts class tomorrow! Really excited! Old Ian was nervous and too cheap to ever pay for a class (Frankly doing anything in groups)

Big news: Currently in my business I offer education in marketing in the form of consultation and design expertise, my final product so far has been a detailed 3D concept and Renders of the client's invention. My clients are provided a plan for the next steps but I'm out of the picture while they find someone to make their landing page, advertisements, prototypes etc.. This ends now!
-Why should my clients have to find their own web designer and dictate how I told them it should look?
-Why should they be at the mercy of some random manufacturer?
-Why would they be expected to hire an SEO researcher, a graphic artist, or a patent lawyer when I know it well, and know who to call myself?

So starting with these last 2 clients, they accepted my offer to handle getting their landing page designed, built, and optimized so they can start tracking the analytic data ASAP, without these other headaches :) I told them after that, I will manage the work sent to a prototype shop, and all the other little steps. This way I can really help these guys the FULL way and not just on the front end. How about that!

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Few more cool items I did this week!
-Went to my first-ever martial arts class, turns out it was a perfect time! They are down on students since it's summer, so I got a lot of 1 on 1 training. Got to train with some sticks, and got sweaty, it was great!
-The sefu (owner) and assistant invited me out for some beers after, I didn't drink but had a lot of fun, and think I found a new friend group!
-This Sunday they're having a seminar with a couple of Grandmasters? From china coming to the school! I'm planning on going! What good timing!
-I went on "Meetup" and found a group that was practicing public speaking, guess its called "Toastmasters" Anyway I attended and loved it! I really need to work on this, going to join the membership!
-There's a large new invention/tech/business event called TC-Tech (Traverse City Tech).. A guy from my networking event last week told me about it.. AND IT SOUNDS AWESOME. So! I will be going come July, I signed up. They let anyone apply to do a presentation on stage, and that's my goal for August.
-For TC-Tech coming up, I actually decided to try "peacocking" lol.. I got a T-shirt custom designed, with my company EngineerThis on it.. Figured everyone else will be in ill-fitting suits, nothing wrong with standing out and having a conversation starter! Really excited!
Here's my shirt design:Capture66.PNG

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Update!
-Still doing at-least 5miles a day and Skating when I get up at 6am
-Went to the special martial arts seminar and besides the instructors, I was the only student!!! Received a freakin masterclass of one on one training from a big name master! He was surprised I only started last week, talk about a confidence boost :)
-I’m writing this in Traverse City from a beach on Lake Michigan, I’m meeting with 2 guys who have there own startup I met at a networking event for lunch, think we may be great friends :)
-Later today I’m going to the open house of this crazy building that’s apparently a hub for startups and entrepreneurs. They offer workspace, workshops, networking, mentorship, investors, and more. Crazy! Hopefully I’ll find a lot of people I can help there with my business.
-Big news!! I’ve been wanting to build a platform that can better help my previous clients.. So I did! I created a weekly newsletter! Thanks @MTF and @Andy Black for the idea!
It contains valuable advice, tips, client breakthroughs, challenges, and most importantly I will share and promote my past clients inventions I had designed! I shared it this past Monday, and collected subscriptions from everyone and my BNI group yesterday :D. I think this could be huge, and I really enjoy writing advice.

Last edited:

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
Been a crazy week with family, I stepped out of my comfort zone and offered to hang out with my Niece and Nephew from my wife's side for a few hours, they're 9 and 10 and I really didn't have much experience with kids... But we had a blast, between teaching them to skateboard at their school after hours, going on a long bike ride for ice cream, and learning to shoot with a little .22 at the range.. I'm now the coolest uncle :) and their parents were very happy for the break!

My newsletter has been going great, I enjoy the challenge, I just wrote about the breakthrough @xShepherdx had when I consulted him on his business. I'm up to 37 subscribers! Which is amazing!!! Sign up here

Martial arts have been going great, as has my daily morning routine of 6am bicycle rides..

I needed a new challenge... So! I decided to do something, I'd never done before... Pay for help!
I started Alzay's Productize Sprint: Productize 5 Day Sprint Workshop – Coveted Consultant
A course to productize your consulting services into a package, as opposed to an endlessly custom hourly package. I was well on track already but thought a workshop might be a benefit, plus I've never paid for a course before, so why not!?

So far it's been absolutely awesome, I've followed him for a while on Youtube, and getting 1:1 time has been worth the price alone. Until next week! Cheers!

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
373%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Congratulations on the 1k/day. I'll be following!

EngineerThis

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
I've had an extremely busy week, the 5-day sprint was fantastic, and I learned A LOT. I also was recognized for my service, and a massive new door was opened for me, more on that next week. I'll keep this short..
-I helped several clients have major breakthroughs, even though I was very intimidated because these clients' problems were very much out of my element, and they were experts in their own right.. It felt awesome to still provide massive value, even though I didn't "think" I could help initially.. Just another way I proved myself WRONG ;)

Ps. Side story because it's funny.. I went to this large startup networking and pitch event in Traverse City, had a great time meeting people, and my outrageous shirt was a great icebreaker. After the event, I went to head home it was late, and had an hour drive.. But I couldn't find where I parked!
I wandered around, and all of a sudden a guy spoke to me from an outside patio bar, said he was from the event, and didn't get a chance to talk! So instead of keeping it brief, and heading home... I sat down at his table lol

We're talking, the guy is cool. All of a sudden 3 more guys sit down! Guess they were inside ordering... These 3 guys were the ones hosting the entire event! They were very nice and wanted to know about me.. Then 2 more people sat down! One was guy who I saw on stage promoting his Investment Group, and the lady was from the Chamber of Commerce... Needless to say, I was privy to an hour of fun chat that mostly went over my head haha. First time in my life I got to sit at the cool kids table :)... I did eventually find my truck too ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.