The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The All Time Top 3 Life Changing Books...

For any book discussion

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Personally, I have so many business related books I absolutely love, it's hard to pick the top three.

1. The One Thing
2. The Slight Edge
3. The Compound Effect

These aren't 'business' books, per se, but they have had an incredible amount of impact on my day to day life.

Of course TMF is up there, The Miracle Morning, Influence, The Art of War, One Simple Idea, Blue Ocean Strategy... but for day to day business work, the three above have made a huge impact.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DustinG

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 28, 2011
Personally, I have so many business related books I absolutely love, it's hard to pick the top three.

1. The One Thing
2. The Slight Edge
3. The Compound Effect

Which did you prefer more between The Slight Edge and The Compound Effect? I've read the slight edge (as well as The One Thing), but it sounds like The Compound Effect is very similar to the Slight Edge. Is it worth reading the Compound Effect if I've already read the Slight Edge or is it re-hashing basically the same thing?

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
Which did you prefer more between The Slight Edge and The Compound Effect? I've read the slight edge (as well as The One Thing), but it sounds like The Compound Effect is very similar to the Slight Edge. Is it worth reading the Compound Effect if I've already read the Slight Edge or is it re-hashing basically the same thing?

Hi, I've read all three, and yes, The Compound Effect and the Slight Edge are basically identical premises.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
It's hard for me to list just three books. I've read so much over the past few years and they've all helped me change for the better...

I do plan to create a list of books I highly recommend very soon. So I'll be asking myself what they were (good thing I started keeping track of what I read in Evernote a while back ;)).

I'm really looking forward to your second book though @MJ DeMarco

But of course, no pressure. :D

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
Scientific Advertising, by Claude Hopkins

Written in 1923. You can easily download it for free online (copyright expired).

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I've never actually read Rich Dad Poor Dad. I know RK gets flack about the seminars but is the book a worthwhile read?
I'm at the end of Rich Dad Poor dad right now and I wish I would have read it a long time ago.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
i have alot trust me if i only give three then i am being too selfish so here i go: think and grow rich,the science of getting rich, the richest man in bobylon, the alchemist, rich dad poor dad,from rats to riches(very important) and the dip.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
The e-myth revisited was a great book. More, The Self-investment mentality is a good all-rounder and TMF is the best of the bunch

I personally didn't like E-myth. Too much filler in Michael Gerber's writings. He needs to get to the point.

I saw him in person and got a free copy of the book. He's a real passionate guy and great speaker, didn't really enjoy his book though. Maybe I just don't like his style.

WarWizard

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Sep 22, 2014
Maitland, Australia
I've got and have read too many but top 3-ish life changing:
#1. The Holy Bible
#2. Rich Dad, Poor Dad
#3. The Millionaire Fastlane

#4 - infinity - :p - too many to list

Bonus: The Ultimate Success Secret - Dan Kennedy

Marius S.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
May 19, 2015
Ireland
I would list them this way as of my short reading experience:

#1 MJ's TFLM
#2 Think and Grow Rich (get both versions for some extra taste)
#3 Rich Dad - Poor Dad

there are lots more, and I know - the more one reads - its not that hard to understand, how one book fill gaps that the other has left behind, and if you're bright enough - you shouldn't ever stop with the last book, some new gaps needs to be filled again

Deocto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 12, 2015
Tulsa
Hi all. I'm brand new here. Someone should really compile this into a list and tally em up.

The book that changed my whole mindset and put me on a different path from the doomed one I was on was:

"The Magic of Thinking Big." Schwartz

Truly changed my life and path overnight, even if it does have that fake Yale study about writing down your goals. Was the first book of that ilk I've read, and still the most influential on a quick transformation within I've had.

Curious to see how it holds up to the man I've become. Not a re-reader, but I think I'm going to pick it up right now.

As much as that changed my mindset about potential and growth,

"Rich Dad..." transitioned my thoughts on money. Though honestly, anyone who has read Fastlane and had it resonate with them, would likely find RDPD to be a step backwards. It helped me exponentially because of my socioeconomic background and parentage, and

"Money, master the game" by Tony robbins is fair, outside the box, and has some great interviews with some of the best financial minds in the finance industry. However it has a whole lot of fluff, and recommendations to get involved with Robbins other vehicles and businesses (like all of Robbins stuff does). One big takeaway : mutual funds are evil.

But I wouldn't list that in the top 3. Only mention it because it hasn't been mentioned yet. It's definitely a slowlane in principle type of book. (Save 10%, etc). But it's base advice on investing is relatively solid.

Many other great recommendations on here that I won't bother giving my personal account of. Win Friends, 4HWW and personal power audio series were all influential on me though.

/Deone

Fatal Jay

Contributor
Jul 16, 2015
1.Outwitting the devil
2.Think and Grow Rich

I won't post number 3 cause thos two books are the most powerful books for making money, which is ironic because they was written by the same guy

aaron bowe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jul 14, 2015
1. Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill.
2. How To Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie.
3. The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle.

tnzk

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 26, 2015
London, United Kingdom
I really liked Pitch Anything by Oren Klaff. It was a minor revolution in how to approach dealing with people.

It's actually more to do with sales than anything, however, based on his multi-million dollar deals he closed over many years, Oren talks about the psychology of business negotiation. While it deals with high stakes sales pitches, it can be applied to anything, like wooing a hot supermodel girl, as a review on the book cover says.

It's the only book I've read, re-read, then listened to the audiobook, then re-listened to the audiobook. Like The Millionaire Fastlane , it's just no-crap knowledge that is immediately executable.

Unfortunately, in the end Oren does try upsell his web package stuff, but the book itself should be enough to get you started on the road for years. Honestly, if you practice the techniques he outlines in the book, you'll actually see crazy good results.

Atlas Shrugged is the most awesome philosophical work ever written. It is better than the Bible, and definitely better than any single academic book on Philosophy.

It is not a light casual reading. It's no good, if you start reading it and then drop it halfway. I almost got depressed by the midpoint when I first read it. But I knew Ayn Rand could not be a downer forever, so I persevered.

Why do you need Philosophy, and why do you need a correct philosophy? You can't be without a philosophy. Everyone already has some type of philosophy that they follow, be it religion, or their life experience, or something that they read in a magazine or heard their friends say. At the very beginning of their independent lifes everyone has already bought someone else's philosophy. The only question is: whose philosophy did you buy?

There were occasional moments of elation, even when I read it first. But reading it the second time around was a sheer pleasure.

Atlas Shrugged is a different thing to different people. Some, those who it rubbed the wrong way, and who it described way too precisely, hate it fiercely. But I think those people are in the minority, even though you'd start seeing them on the news daily after reading this book.

To me Atlas Shrugged is about happiness. It is about being happy, and about pursuing happiness the right way and the wrong way. It is also about the people who do not want you to be happy, and about the methods that they use on you, with your own consent. And the worst part is that you give this consent to them yourself voluntarily, whether consciously or subconsciously, and then hate and doubt yourself when their methods work against you to their advantage and not yours.

It's about contradictions that most people store deep within themselves. The contradictions that often push them to act against their own best interest. It shows you how to identify and eradicate those contradictions. The contradictions that stand in the way of achieving and experiencing your own happiness.

I find that most people who evangelise about Ayn Rand and Atlas Shrugged have read it only very recently (within the last several years). The reason it's never caught on is probably because most people give up on it after about a decade of trying to live a lifestyle based around Objectivism. Spoiler alert: Ay Rand died lonely and miserable.

Ayn Rand is like the creator of a MLM scheme called "Objectivism" and Atlas Shrugged is that so-called "entrepreneur distributor kit" that leads you nowhere.

I personally don't recommend people trying to benefit from her beliefs. You may probably benefit from trying to sell people a philosophy, however =P

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
I find that most people who evangelise about Ayn Rand and Atlas Shrugged have read it only very recently (within the last several years). The reason it's never caught on is probably because most people give up on it after about a decade of trying to live a lifestyle based around Objectivism. Spoiler alert: Ay Rand died lonely and miserable.

Ayn Rand is like the creator of a MLM scheme called "Objectivism" and Atlas Shrugged is that so-called "entrepreneur distributor kit" that leads you nowhere.

I personally don't recommend people trying to benefit from her beliefs. You may probably benefit from trying to sell people a philosophy, however =P

I completely agree. I simply can't understand how this "philosophy" can be the main part of somebody's world view, especially after outgrowing the susceptible phases of one's youth. To see how shallow this is, I would recommend reading a couple of the good old classics.

Will Bauer

Either you run the day or the day runs you.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 25, 2014
Paderborn
Do not know if it was mentioned but my all time favorite book is Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

I love the story of Siddhartha's nonconformity, seeing him getting rid of everything then changing his mind completely. He's getting getting rich really fast through the power of focus and determination and finally he abandons all his material wealth and finds peace.

Definitely would recommend it to everyone especially if you only have business books in your Top 3.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
1.Outwitting the devil
2.Think and Grow Rich
What is the difference between the books?
DO you still recommend reading Outwitting the devil if you already have read Think and Grow Rich? Is the content very repetitive if you already have read TaGR?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Models: Attract Women Through Honesty by Mark Manson-Invest in yourself then the right woman/women will come. Be brutally honest with yourself and her. Honest lifestyle, honest communication etc

Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki-Taught the difference between the rich and the poor.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas-One of the greatest revenge stories ever told. A young merchant sailor is wrongly imprisoned. He is then mentored by a fellow prisoner. After his escape he uses his new skills to exact revenge against the people who wronged him.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

deep singh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 17, 2018
Vancouver
[QUOTE="The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield[/QUOTE]

A beautiful book. Highly recommended.

better

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
May 29, 2018
The Obstacle is The Way got me back on track.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.