The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Text Marketing Q's

Marketing, social media, advertising

Gina H.

I help virtual assistants get HIRED.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
@MJ DeMarco this question is specifically for you, but happy to hear from ANYONE using this strategy (or thinking about it) that has insights to share too!

Yours is the only text "list" that I've joined – is there anywhere you've shared your thoughts on why you started it, what technology you use to deliver it, how it's going, etc?

I find myself wanting to share small tidbits, but don't want to clutter people's inboxes with them (nor make them "that official") and don't own social media channels (or enjoy using them, ha!).

Appreciate any insight anyone has to offer!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just got home from traveling, but happy to answer when I can get caught up here. I know @Kak @AllenCrawley use TXT messaging in their business, perhaps they can comment as well.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I use text messages, not to really sell anything, but to provide complementary content to the radio show. Kind of like a private social media account.

One thing I will say is it sucks that you can't have them all in one place. I have a telegram broadcast and also a text message broadcast. The only people that join at the text message community are people that have US phone numbers. This product isn't cheap, and the sad part is that Telegram, for free, is pretty much better in every way. On the other hand, not everyone has Telegram and gaining followers is easier with a phone number.

Overall, I like the strategy a LOT better than social media. The interactions are more personal and in my opinion, you have a stronger bond with the people that are following on Text and Telegram than on social media.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yours is the only text "list" that I've joined – is there anywhere you've shared your thoughts on why you started it, what technology you use to deliver it, how it's going, etc?

No, but I'd be happy to answer.

I started it to better connect to readers. What better way than by direct message to a smartphone that literally is now worn like a second pair of underwear?

As for how's it going, I couldn't be more happier with it, however, I rarely use it for marketing and link dropping (visit the forum for this story!! Buy my book!! ETC.) I only use it for short informational and/or motivational bursts. Thus far I've done a pretty good job of responding personally too, although it is getting harder as the subscribers grow.

So as far as an ROI perspective, there is NONE since I'm not selling anything.

I look at it as way to keep connected and readers engaged to a Fastlane/Unscripted business journey, which as you know, can be quite lonely.

Tools: I started with a texting service which charged PER TEXT and limited texts to 200 words. That was an utter failure and would have cost me $10,000/mo to use it how I wanted. That system was really for local/community use like a local restaurant who wanted to send out pizza coupons.

I ended up using both Telegram and Community. Community is $99/mo (US/CAN only) and is great to use but a bit expensive. Telegram is FREE with international scope, and I love that even better.

Overall, I look at the Unscripted Network and this forum as a tool for readers to accomplish the things I've outlined in the books.

Thank you for asking, great question. If you have any more questions regarding the txt system, feel free to ask.

Gina H.

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
I use text messages, not to really sell anything, but to provide complementary content to the radio show. Kind of like a private social media account.

One thing I will say is it sucks that you can't have them all in one place. I have a telegram broadcast and also a text message broadcast. The only people that join at the text message community are people that have US phone numbers. This product isn't cheap, and the sad part is that Telegram, for free, is pretty much better in every way. On the other hand, not everyone has Telegram and gaining followers is easier with a phone number.

Overall, I like the strategy a LOT better than social media. The interactions are more personal and in my opinion, you have a stronger bond with the people that are following on Text and Telegram than on social media.
Good food for thought, thanks! Are you using Community for the US-based text application? I'd prefer the direct route and don't see myself selling anything (at least not very often), but more building relationships at scale.

Gina H.

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
No, but I'd be happy to answer.

I started it to better connect to readers. What better way than by direct message to a smartphone that literally is now worn like a second pair of underwear?

As for how's it going, I couldn't be more happier with it, however, I rarely use it for marketing and link dropping (visit the forum for this story!! Buy my book!! ETC.) I only use it for short informational and/or motivational bursts. Thus far I've done a pretty good job of responding personally too, although it is getting harder as the subscribers grow.

So as far as an ROI perspective, there is NONE since I'm not selling anything.

I look at it as way to keep connected and readers engaged to a Fastlane/Unscripted business journey, which as you know, can be quite lonely.

Tools: I started with a texting service which charged PER TEXT and limited texts to 200 words. That was an utter failure and would have cost me $10,000/mo to use it how I wanted. That system was really for local/community use like a local restaurant who wanted to send out pizza coupons.

I ended up using both Telegram and Community. Community is $99/mo (US/CAN only) and is great to use but a bit expensive. Telegram is FREE with international scope, and I love that even better.

Overall, I look at the Unscripted Network and this forum as a tool for readers to accomplish the things I've outlined in the books.

Thank you for asking, great question. If you have any more questions regarding the txt system, feel free to ask.
Appreciate the insight – applied for Community so far to check it out.

Sounds like Telegram is great, but the barrier is that people have to download the app/set up an account on yet another tool, whereas Community integrates directly with their texting app?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good food for thought, thanks! Are you using Community for the US-based text application? I'd prefer the direct route and don't see myself selling anything (at least not very often), but more building relationships at scale.

Yes, I have Community. Like MJ said, it’s expensive, but really the only thing like it right now that’s worth it.

The per text message charges of the competitors make them useless and ridiculous. It really is a shame that Telegram can’t send traditional text messages, because it’s better.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
whereas Community integrates directly with their texting app?

Yup, it integrates directly to native text messaging. Telegram needs the app, but it does a good job of pushing alerts and notifications.

Gina H.

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Thanks all!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like a new competitor to Community.

And it allows monetization, Community does not.

Texty

Going to get more information. Community prohibits monetization, which IMO, is ridiculous.

Gina H.

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
On the completely other side of the fence, I think I'll be trying out personalized video messages through Bonjoro – anyone used that in their business?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
On the completely other side of the fence, I think I'll be trying out personalized video messages through Bonjoro – anyone used that in their business?

No, but I received them. Can't say they moved me to some type of action. Although I'm probably in the minority.

Gina H.

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Appreciate your candidness MJ. Probably depends who the sender is and why they're sending it too I imagine. We implemented the popup strategy (even though I hate them!) and it's worked out well for us. This might be another opportunity where we're in the minority, but it's effective for others? :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Appreciate your candidness MJ. Probably depends who the sender is and why they're sending it too I imagine. We implemented the popup strategy (even though I hate them!) and it's worked out well for us. This might be another opportunity where we're in the minority, but it's effective for others? :)

Yup, there are so many things like this where I hate something, but the data proves my opinion is clearly on the wrong side of the numbers.

Gina H.

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Yup, there are so many things like this where I hate something, but the data proves my opinion is clearly on the wrong side of the numbers.
What else comes to mind besides popups, text messaging and Bonjoro if anything?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I send personalised welcome/thank you Loom videos from my phone to people who signup to my courses/membership. Most people reply and are quite astounded.

Note that these are messages to people who have already bought. That’s Superior Unexpected Customer Service.

I don’t send them unsolicited.

Gina H.

Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 7, 2021
Minnesota, USA
I send personalised welcome/thank you Loom videos from my phone to people who signup to my courses/membership. Most people reply and are quite astounded.

Note that these are messages to people who have already bought. That’s Superior Unexpected Customer Service.

I don’t send them unsolicited.
Exactly what I'm planning @andy! Also, looking to re-engage canceled members (w/o a "selling" expectation) – is there a reason you use Loom over something like Bonjoro?

Also, what do you sell re: courses/membership (sorry if I missed this somewhere obvious...)?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Exactly what I'm planning @andy! Also, looking to re-engage canceled members (w/o a "selling" expectation) – is there a reason you use Loom over something like Bonjoro?

Also, what do you sell re: courses/membership (sorry if I missed this somewhere obvious...)?
I tried Bonjoro but found it clunky somehow (I can’t remember why).

I was already paying for Loom to quickly recording screencasts. I then found out it had an app.

I have a Google Ads course and newsletter membership linked to in my signature.

I’m expanding the membership to contain newsletters and courses on more than just Google Ads though. The INSIDERS progress thread is in my signature too.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Via Texty sales manager...

Texty differs from community.com in a few important ways. In the simplest form - Community is a cost-center, and Texty is a revenue-center.

The Texty app focuses on monetizing interactions with fans and followers. We empower you to engage directly with your audience via SMS, and turn engagements into monetization. You can offer text-based monthly memberships, sell digital content, generate leads via content, do paid Q&A, or even book paid calls – all through Texty and without any third party systems.

Our creators make thousands in revenue each month directly from their Texty audience, which is additive to their other channels.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.