The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Teacher, Real Estate, Or Youtuber?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
So, would you guys advise against both real estate part time and advise against the youtube, knowing what I just said?

And if yes, then what should I do now?? Save up money and invest in properties??

For every idea you have, there are going to be people on this forum who advise you against it.

People make money doing/selling just about anything. Including youtube and real estate.

What are you interested in? Where are your strengths? How hard are you willing to work?

We can help you with the "how", but we can't tell you the "what" or the "why".

If you need other people to tell you what to do, then you aren't ready to take this seriously yet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Like others said before me, you are chasing money, not needs. You will never get money by chasing it. People don't give you their money because you want it. They give you money because you have something they want. Figure out what they want and the money will come.

That's literally all you should think about. Forget about every idea you have had up until this point. Write down on a piece of paper "What do people want?"

Go sit at a bus stop and watch people. Ask yourself what each person wants. Do that and nothing else for as long as it takes for it to click in your mind. If you're wondering if it clicked yet, it hasn't. Do that and you will figure it out.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
What do you do now?

I sell products. Ecommerce, wholesale to retail, Amazon.

So, I guess, from my understanding, youtube and real estate are both difficult

John, the point is, EVERYTHING is difficult. And there are people making money at every one of those difficult things. Easy money never lasts. Up above I underlined this quote: How hard are you willing to work? If the answer is what it should be, then difficulty isn't an issue.

.. but keep taking a shot at doing both? As hungry as I am for success I am also very confused and need to a definitive plan.. which is why I am posting the "what do I do !"?

Again, we can't give you a plan, or tell you what to do. That ball is in your court, my friend.

However, let me see if I can point you in the general direction.

In the book, MJ Lists these criteria for a fastlane business

N - Need
E - Entry (More difficult is BETTER)
C - Control
S - Scale
T - Time

Evaluate all of your ideas against that critera, and then give that idea a thumbs up or a thumbs down based on what your gut tells you.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I am ready to take this seriously. I read a ton, and I am always thinking of what to do. I would not be on the forum asking for advise if I didn't take thing extremely seriously. I would not have put countless hours into my youtube if I didn't take this seriously. I would not have paid for a real estate course and studied for hours every night if I didn't take this seriously.

You wouldn't be ready to quit after 4 strangers gave you critical feedback on your idea (and none of them told you to quit...), if you were taking this seriously.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes, like I said, I'm not trying to be a teacher the rest of my life. I'm good with people, I'm a good listener, I'm a hard worker.. I enjoy sales.. I enjoy helping people..

You'll get there. Keep that fire in your gut.

I used to be a teacher... and I completely understand how *those* kids are a daily reminder of how you need to do something else.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to the forum. Backing up what @DCDeuce said, start with the Gold Threads.

As for YouTube, what's the end goal. I hope it's just "get lots of followers count my money". YouTube has made A LOT of changes to its partners program. A lot of "YouTube stars" have either been cut off or aren't making as much. Also, being a YouTube celebrity is a huge violation of time for money. Sure, if you are very popular, you can make 6 figures... if you're constantly filming, editing and promoting. The minute you stop producing new content, your cash flow stops. There's so "set it and forget it"

Now this isn't all to say YouTube cannot be a good revenue stream, but it's got to be part of a bigger plan. Take your type of show, "living life to its fullest". If you used the show to get people to your site, to join a community and then sold them "life coaching" or tips on low cost vacations or used it to drive affiliate traffic, then you're getting somewhere. However, no one needs another life coach or affiliate.

If you want to use YouTube, use it as a traffic source not a traffic destination.

Once you finish the book and really understand the commandments and the money tree seeds, you'll see why this won't work.

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
For every idea you have, there are going to be people on this forum who advise you against it.

People make money doing/selling just about anything. Including youtube and real estate.

What are you interested in? Where are your strengths? How hard are you willing to work?

If you need other people to tell you what to do, then you aren't ready to take this seriously yet.

I am ready to take this seriously. I read a ton, and I am always thinking of what to do. I would not be on the forum asking for advise if I didn't take thing extremely seriously. I would not have put countless hours into my youtube if I didn't take this seriously. I would not have paid for a real estate course and studied for hours every night if I didn't take this seriously. THis is my life, I just don't know the best way to go about getting to the end goal of making a lot of money.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes, like I said, I'm not trying to be a teacher the rest of my life. I'm good with people, I'm a good listener, I'm a hard worker.. I enjoy sales.. I enjoy helping people..

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Stop chasing money. Chase needs. My only opinion.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
It's honestly just a lot to think about guys. And I don't mean to keep going back and fourth but the more I think about it the more it doesn't make sense.. Just being totally objective.. It's like.. I have 82 subscribers now with 12,000 views TOTAL. Even if I got to say 10,000 subscribers in 1 year, and sold say a book to 10% of them for $20 thats ONLY $20,000 profit before taxes. And say I made some money off affiliated products that I talked about in my videos and pretend I made an additional 10,000, thats still only 30,000 for the year..

And when I think about it more, yes there are a lot of lifestyle/life coaches out there. After a year, what else could I sell? Consultation services, and/or subscriptions to a website.. But I would have to sell A LOT of both of those to make this a big enough thing where I could quit my current full time job.. so this is tough.. It seems like its difficult to not just make a lot of money in this, but to make it a sustainable business.. PLUS, i'm working for the money, its not like its passive income thats just coming in..

This is your gut talking. Your gut is saying that you don't have anything of value to offer.

It doesn't matter what any of us say.

Your gut thinks it's a bad idea.

So can the youtube plan, and lets move on to something else.

Also, you're chasing doing what MJ calls in the book, "chasing money". Instead, you're thought process needs to be: "Am I adding value, or am I not"... NOT, "Is this going to pay my bills, or not".

Find something you know you can add value in. A problem you know you can solve.

Then, work RELENTLESSLY at it.

And you find that your bills have no problems paying themselves.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
There is a big world out there and you are viewing it with covers on your eyes. Take a note pad with you and write down all the different businesses you see. If you are truly seeing the picture, the entire note pad will be filled in days.

Opportunities abound...

DCDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Dec 3, 2016
Washington DC
@JohnBuffet

I cannot speak on how to monetize your youtube channel but what I can speak on is being in Real Estate, there have been a ton of people who think that getting into Real Estate part time is a good idea and on the outside, it sounds like a great idea! You'll say to yourself "I'll work real estate part time, i'll work evening and/or weekends" the reality of it is clients need to talk to you all the time, morning, noon and night. Additionally, you are in New York which is one of the hardest markets to get into as a brand new agent let alone a part time agent.

I'm not going to scare you with horror stories because the truth is I actually really like working in Rela Estate because of the clients, the money is great but it is only a byproduct of a job well done. Real Estate is a relationship based business so you may succeed working with family or friends who need to buy or sell so that may net you some additional income but it won't replace your teaching salary entirely until you go full time.

FYI - My first year in real estate I made a total of 4000.00 before taxes. I couldn't advertise and it was mostly from rentals, I lived on a budget of 500.00 for food and gas monthly....it was hell but I knew it was the only way I could get out of the rat race quickly. My 2nd year I made just under 30k which may sound great but I was still living on a budget and again the 30k was before taxes, it wasn't as bad as my first year but it was still very hard and I realized this was not sustainable. My 3rd year was better but only because I joined a new firm, I caught a break because I was a full time agent and the firm reached out to me because of that fact and a few others.

If I had any advice for you, it would be to start and Ecom business, that is what I am doing while still working in Real Estate, Real Estate is still full time but so is Ecom! That is the beauty of an Ecom business, you're able to make money while you sleep! I'm finding that it is a tremendous amount of work but check out:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...orting-wholesaling-for-resale-on-ebay.51843/” <--- This page is an AMA (ask me anything) that @Ecom man did on reselling items from China on Ebay, lots of good nuggets in the thread but the thread is 84 pages long so it may take a while.

AndyTalks with Forum Members (Master Thread) <---- This thread is one started by the legendary @Andy Black about getting started in business and lead generation.

Check out the threads labeled as "Gold", those threads are full of little nuggets.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and welcome to the forums. If you do decide to get into Real Estate feel free to reach out, my firm is not a traditional real estate firm that tells people to "Buy Now while the market is hot!" or crap like that, we actually advise clients.

Jonathan Polley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 26, 2016
Valencia, Spain
Youtube is a wonderful resource that can drive customers to your other pages. But to actually earn money directly off Youtube is incredibly hard. (Of course you should still monetize)

You need roughly 1000 views to earn 1 dollar. So a million views for $1000 dollars, it's great if you can get it going, but the competition is fierce on Youtube. And how many millions of views do you think you can secure a month?
The barrier to entry is practically non-existent.

I would also query advertising in order to get views. After all, are you selling a product directly related to the advert? Or are you just paying for exposure with no way to convert that exposure into money (other than Youtube monitisation)?

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
If I were you I would do this:

Make a subscription based service selling a product relating to your niche.

For example, dating. Create a website with INSIDERS tricks to pick up girls. Get people to pay for the tricks/secrets.

This is just an idea. Solve a need within the dating realm.

Last edited:

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Read the book. Chapters 38 and 39 need to get read asap. You're overthinking too much. It's like POA (paralysis of over-analysis) is crippling you.

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
@JohnBuffet The dating website concept could work.
Although it's a little "Me-Too" and the barrier of Entry is low, there is still a HUGE and timeless audience for dating advice.

This model could probably work *IF YOUR DATING ADVICE IS GOOD* and you have a DISTINCT audience / personality / approach.

Keep in mind the Online Dating market is already pretty busy, a lot of Titans and Gurus already set up -

How do you do things different than them?
What NEEDS are not being satisfied by the big guys?
What type of guy can you help the most?

Make sure you are capturing email addresses from the very beginning.

With the model you're proposing, the only meaningful profits will come from *repeat sales*. These will be men who trust your dating advice, who return for more (you probably have their email address), and who believe so strongly in your professional advice that they'll buy whatever you recommend.

Essentially what you're proposing is:

- Get eyeballs by creating your own content.
- Capture Leads by turning eyeballs into Email Addresses (give them AWESOME freemium rewards for signing up via Email)
- Consistently send great content to those email addresses.
- Periodically push some products / sales emails.

Just a word of warning... you probably aren't going to Get Rich off Amazon commissions alone.
Those things are like 6-7% and the cookie only lasts 24 hours.
You have to sell HELLA stuff to a big audience, over and over, to actually Get Wealthy from this.

I'm sure it can be done, but with 6% commissions, I'd just rather be selling my own products or services whenever possible... *much* higher profits.
And, you get much more "Control" in terms of the CENTS criteria.

I have much more I want to say to you! I'm only a year older than you and would love to see you succeed at escaping the rat race.
It's something I'm also working on... and I want to be *wealthy*... not just well-off.
I also am a teacher / tutor, with 7 years teaching experience in addition to my time as an entrepreneur.

Always looking for more participants in our future super-yacht race meetups from the forum ;)
Put the wind to your sails!

O%E2%80%99Pati-SuperYacht-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
@JohnBuffet The dating website concept could work.
Although it's a little "Me-Too" and the barrier of Entry is low, there is still a HUGE and timeless audience for dating advice.

This model could probably work *IF YOUR DATING ADVICE IS GOOD* and you have a DISTINCT audience / personality / approach.

Keep in mind the Online Dating market is already pretty busy, a lot of Titans and Gurus already set up -

How do you do things different than them?
What NEEDS are not being satisfied by the big guys?
What type of guy can you help the most?

Make sure you are capturing email addresses from the very beginning.

With the model you're proposing, the only meaningful profits will come from *repeat sales*. These will be men who trust your dating advice, who return for more (you probably have their email address), and who believe so strongly in your professional advice that they'll buy whatever you recommend.

Essentially what you're proposing is:

- Get eyeballs by creating your own content.
- Capture Leads by turning eyeballs into Email Addresses (give them AWESOME freemium rewards for signing up via Email)
- Consistently send great content to those email addresses.
- Periodically push some products / sales emails.

Just a word of warning... you probably aren't going to Get Rich off Amazon commissions alone.
Those things are like 6-7% and the cookie only lasts 24 hours.
You have to sell HELLA stuff to a big audience, over and over, to actually Get Wealthy from this.

I'm sure it can be done, but with 6% commissions, I'd just rather be selling my own products or services whenever possible... *much* higher profits.
And, you get much more "Control" in terms of the CENTS criteria.

I have much more I want to say to you! I'm only a year older than you and would love to see you succeed at escaping the rat race.
It's something I'm also working on... and I want to be *wealthy*... not just well-off.
I also am a teacher / tutor, with 7 years teaching experience in addition to my time as an entrepreneur.

Always looking for more participants in our future super-yacht race meetups from the forum ;)
Put the wind to your sails!

O%E2%80%99Pati-SuperYacht-1.jpg

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your time, and post.

I have officially put up www.2mlifestyle.com - I will sell fitness programs, and fashion and dating consultations. My goal is to help guys (or girls) to be successful in the dating world, successful at achieving a certain level of fitness, and successful at dressing well!

The fitness market is saturated, but I haven't seen too many consultants for dating, and not many for dating, fitness, and fashion. So, hopefully I can solve this need to people. I remember when I was younger I was always looking for better ways to dress, better approaches to talk to women, and how to get in shape. Now that I've found the answers to all of these 3 I figure I could make a business teaching other people.

I want to get out of the rat race asap!

Last edited by a moderator:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
With respect to your YouTube channel:

The presentation is decent. You are articulate and seem natural on camera. So I think you've cleared the first hurdle (i.e. not being awkward on camera).The problem I see is the content - it's pretty generic (at least the few videos I watched). If you want to pursue YT, then focus on what unique insights you can bring to the channel.

Think about some of the top fitness YouTube channels (I come back to these often because it's such a competitive vertical) - Pump Chasers, ft. Chris Jones is successful mostly because of his personality. The dude's optimism, sense of humor, and hustle are infectious. It's more of a motivational type channel than instructional, at least the past couple years.

Omar Isuf (hands down best fitness channel) fills the gap with quality content. Everything he posts is factually accurate and actionable. If you want serious advice on how to get bigger and stronger, that's the place to go. He's also got a good camera presence and a sense of humor, so his videos are fun to watch.

IMO, those are the best fitness channels on YouTube. Both bring something unique to the table - Chris Jones with his hustle and entrepreneurial life style, and Omar Isuf with his PhD level information that you don't find on other channels. They have an angle that works for them, and are both pretty successful in the niche.

You already said you didn't want to compete in fitness (wise choice), and want to do a male lifestyle channel. Great - what can you add that Alpha.M and Real Men Real Style don't already present?

I would stay away from the dating angle - the whole pick up artist bullshittery has kind of poisoned that well. It's not enough to tell men to up their value on the sexual market, you gotta tell them magical incantations that make womens' panties hit the floor.

TL;DR

Find and focus on what makes you unique in your vertical - make sure it distinguishes you from the other big dogs in that space

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
@lowtek , I loved your breakdown of OP's channel. Do you think you could do one on mine? (Alfred Awosanya)
I'm having a similar predicament with my channel, my content is a mix of motivation and business but recently I haven't been sharing much biz knowledge because I'm not at a stage in my life where I have massive amounts of knowledge from experience. I've been thinking of just calling it quits and return when I have had more experience but people advice me to keep going. I'm going to continue for a year and make my decision then.

Don't stop. You've got quite a bit going for you. The production quality is good, you're articulate, and you're starting from the bottom so it's an opportunity to chronicle your journey.

My one criticism is that it is motivation focused. I understand that motivation is what sells and it's easy and safe to produce that kind of content. That makes it a low barrier to entry field, and means that success is going to be more difficult. It's also an arena dominated by Tai Lopez, Gary V and Uncle G. I would swap out that content with more actionable material that reflects your real world experience. It will make the channel more valuable, and more of your own.

Check out Alex Berman's channel on YouTube for an example of what I consider to be a great business channel. He's not a mega millionaire, but he's out there in the shit making plays, so he's qualified to give me information - and the information he dispenses is quite good. He focuses on cold email and lead generation for B2B agencies, which is precisely the information I need.

Keep in mind, you don't have to be super successful to give advice to the general public. Just being on the path puts you at least 1 step ahead of most people - and you are thus expert enough to give them advice.

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
Hello everyone (and Mr. Demarco)

I just started reading the Millionaire Fastlane (which made me find this forum). It seems as if everyone here is extremely smart and all looking for the same thing! I figured what a great place to ask for advice!

Long story short, I'm 28 years old (about to be 29 in 2 weeks). I work as a school teacher in the Bronx NY (it's a tough job). I want to make a lot of money, and be young enough to enjoy it-. I have read countless books, (and as many books about money as possible): Think and Grow Rich, the Law of Success, The Science of Getting Rich, How to Get Rich to name a few.. Anyway, since I know I won't get rich on a teacher's salary I made a plan. I started a Youtube channel called "2M Lifestyle" --> John Buffet

It's a channel about living life to the max; a self help channel about improving yourself from your confidence, to your fitness, to your hair, etc, etc.

I started it a few months ago and it's been difficult getting followers and views. I only have 81 subscribers, and the only time my video's get a good amount of views is if I pay for advertisements..

Anyway, because of this I said I don't want to spend all my time doing a youtube channel that won't be profitable.. So, I decided to start studying to be a real estate agent.. figuring I could work as a teacher and do real estate part time, thinking real estate would hopefully take off and I could potentially get rich from making deals and quit my job...

I'm sorry for the long post, and I know I sound all over the place, but what do you guys think I should do? Should I continue the youtube and hope it takes off despite a very, very slow start? Should I ditch the youtube and focus my attention on studying and become a real estate agent? Or should I forget about both of them and just save up money to invest in a multi family house? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.. Its hard to balance teaching, with making the youtube videos, and studying/preparing to be a real estate agent.. But I know I want to become rich..

Thank you guys in advance..

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
It seems like you get some views on your videos, they are very random though haha. So maybe try to figure out what niche works the best and focus on that. You can always put YouTube in your schedule somehow, but I wouldn't do it to make a living out of it.

Don't do too much things at the same time, although I'm not following my own advice on that either :rofl:

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
Okay THANK you all SO MUCH.

For my response: The YouTube .. the end goal was to make money. How? I figured by making money off of views, and then putting out a book, a clothing line, consultation services, etc. But, I see what some of you mean. Those are good points that it should be used to promote a certain product, or drive traffic somewhere else, not just be a destination.. And yes, your right, no one needs another life coach.

So, if the youtube isn't a great idea, and doing real estate part time won't work.. both of my ideas are scratched.. And I'm not mad, believe me, I am happy to learn rather than in years from now.. So, would you guys advise against both real estate part time and advise against the youtube, knowing what I just said?

And if yes, then what should I do now?? Save up money and invest in properties??

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
LOL! AMP your right.. It is a difficult job, and even more difficult when some of the kids don't care, or are extremely disrespectful.

What do you do now?

So, I guess, from my understanding, youtube and real estate are both difficult.. but keep taking a shot at doing both? As hungry as I am for success I am also very confused and need to a definitive plan.. which is why I am posting the "what do I do !"?

"What do I do" is what every single person struggles with. I struggled with that for 6 months after I quit my job before I figured out what I wanted to do.

My advice, your not going to find that big thing on your first attempt. Take action on whatever thing that you are capable of doing now rather than spinning in your chair trying to figure out the thing that you'll make it big on. Walking through a door will open up other doors and opportunities that might be what you're looking for.

I think YouTube is a terrible idea to make money in coaching though. 90%+ of the lifestyle coaches use YouTube as a platform to get people to buy their coaching programs. If you want to be a lifestyle coach, I hope your living the life your trying to coach ppl on and there is a demand for these kind of coaches. If you said yes to those two, why not make a program(video series/Web book) to sell to people and use YouTube and other forms of social media to get your sales. Could start with a short $10 Web book and build up.

The issue with being a real estate agent is if your not out selling houses, your not getting paid. There are a lot of ways to make money in real estate though for sure. If real estate interests you, you can start out by being an agent and dive into another area that's more fastlane as you learn the business working under someone

Best of luck on your ventures and welcome.

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Hello everyone (and Mr. Demarco)

I just started reading the Millionaire Fastlane (which made me find this forum). It seems as if everyone here is extremely smart and all looking for the same thing! I figured what a great place to ask for advice!

Long story short, I'm 28 years old (about to be 29 in 2 weeks). I work as a school teacher in the Bronx NY (it's a tough job). I want to make a lot of money, and be young enough to enjoy it-. I have read countless books, (and as many books about money as possible): Think and Grow Rich, the Law of Success, The Science of Getting Rich, How to Get Rich to name a few.. Anyway, since I know I won't get rich on a teacher's salary I made a plan. I started a Youtube channel called "2M Lifestyle" --> John Buffet

It's a channel about living life to the max; a self help channel about improving yourself from your confidence, to your fitness, to your hair, etc, etc.

I started it a few months ago and it's been difficult getting followers and views. I only have 81 subscribers, and the only time my video's get a good amount of views is if I pay for advertisements..

Anyway, because of this I said I don't want to spend all my time doing a youtube channel that won't be profitable.. So, I decided to start studying to be a real estate agent.. figuring I could work as a teacher and do real estate part time, thinking real estate would hopefully take off and I could potentially get rich from making deals and quit my job...

I'm sorry for the long post, and I know I sound all over the place, but what do you guys think I should do? Should I continue the youtube and hope it takes off despite a very, very slow start? Should I ditch the youtube and focus my attention on studying and become a real estate agent? Or should I forget about both of them and just save up money to invest in a multi family house? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.. Its hard to balance teaching, with making the youtube videos, and studying/preparing to be a real estate agent.. But I know I want to become rich..

Thank you guys in advance..
Hi, I worked in a difficult school where there was no discipline. I've since spoken to many teachers in the uk and they say that classes are out of control. I don't know about the states but here this is a serious 'need' teachers need a program to help them cope. To give them either materials or procedures to deal with it. Schools would buy this I'm pretty sure. Ive recommended this to teacher friends but...
Just thought this was an angle for you to think about.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
If you are going to do YT, focus on one thing. Gym, dressing etc. Just one thing. I see that you are all around the place with the videos.

Also, the thumbnails are ugly, colors don't really fit into the picture and I didn't have any need to click it, furthermore it had the opposite effect. Find some big youtuber that you want to "be like" and see how they are doing their thumbnails. They should be something people want to click on. I like the "cover" that is on your profile. It looks nice. Make the thumbnails similar to that.

If you are experienced enough start offering coaching and meal plans. But focus on helping people. Not charging them 200$ for a meal plan. Bring value first. People will come.

I don't know if you saw Christian Guzman, but dude is killing it on youtube. See what was doing in the beginning.

My 2cents, good luck.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
This is interesting, so don't just do a youtube to do it.. make a service like a website where people say say 30/month and I provide dating tips?

Do youtube, provide value on dating on youtube and then "if you want more", go to my website.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Sound about right?
I think you are a little bit over simplifying the big steps when you can actually take small steps first.
Maybe there is a much better idea you can try out, and with taking it in small steps it's much easier to pivot.

I think you're like me, making quick decisions just to make one and then when you're focused on something big you can't let go of that image.

Because right now you're basically having youtube as a pillar to build on, what is no problem of course, just be aware of it :p

So just try it out man! But don't buy another youtube course for a lot of money and then figure out later you don't want to do youtube, got me?
Good luck :D

Here is a video from a fellow fastlaner

Have fun in what you do, don't focus on the end goal too much, that's my main point. You might fall over a small stone you didn't want to look at :p

Last edited:

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
Like others said before me, you are chasing money, not needs. You will never get money by chasing it. People don't give you their money because you want it. They give you money because you have something they want. Figure out what they want and the money will come.

That's literally all you should think about. Forget about every idea you have had up until this point. Write down on a piece of paper "What do people want?"

Go sit at a bus stop and watch people. Ask yourself what each person wants. Do that and nothing else for as long as it takes for it to click in your mind. If you're wondering if it clicked yet, it hasn't. Do that and you will figure it out.

With much consderation and thanks to everyone I believe I have it now.

What do people want? What especially do men ages 15 and up want? They want to lose weight or get muscular. They want to improve their fashion, and fashion accessories.. they want to improve their hair.. they want to look their best so they have a better time in life, and so they get more attention from women..

So how do they get that? I continue the youtube but also make a main site, and instagram. I dont sell myself for people to buy; i sell specific things people could buy to look and feel their best. I.e buying wholesale products and selling them through my instagram and other sites.. hair products, or clothes for example.. a one stop shop to get fresh.. and i use the youtube to push the products i am selling.. also then later on i would come out with a book..
So in a nutshell i am specifically trying to provide/sell products to men to inprove their appearance..

G

GuestUserX09

Someone already mentioned above but with your position, I would go in heavily on YouTube BUT use it to funnel to something else. So you'll have a double sourced single project. For instance, you could set up a coaching website to coach the youth or coach other teachers, etc. And you could funnel Youtube traffic.

At that point 6,000 views won't get you paid much BUT if 1 of every 6000 viewers go on to buy your coaching/product, then now you have maximized profit from the single stream, while at the same time using similar time commitment and little to no overhead.

G

GuestUserX09

The 6,000 views isnt actually legit for that one video because I paid for it through advertisment so, i dont know if i can claim that to be honest.

Sure, just for example but even though it's paid- the views are supposed to be people who suggested your video and would be interested anyways. So your paid traffic probably has the same or higher potential to convert if you did that again in the future.

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
Sure, just for example but even though it's paid- the views are supposed to be people who suggested your video and would be interested anyways. So your paid traffic probably has the same or higher potential to convert if you did that again in the future.

Thanks, sounds like we put together a solid plan, right?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.