The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggestions Thread

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Yes, the tangler link was for you to check out, nothing else.

This forums works great, I'm just proposing the chat thing for better interaction, not to replace. We could make meetings in there and stuff like that. As I said, it was just an idea :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for everone's comments. Anyone is FREE to use the forum as a staging ground into an offside chatroom. I think the "Fastlane Apprentice" guys have done that. Having an onsite chatroom here is something I want to avoid at the forum, but is more likely in my main site which hasn't been launched.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
just one tiny suggestion. something thats been bugging me lol.

I wish that there was a home page link at the bottom of the threads. like in line with the post reply and page numbers. or inbetween the previous thread and next thread links. would make things so much faster for me lol.

I know theres the forum jump at the very very bottom of the page, but it still makes me have to scroll.

Im just a pita so take this with a grain of salt lol...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
just one tiny suggestion. something thats been bugging me lol.

I wish that there was a home page link at the bottom of the threads. like in line with the post reply and page numbers. or inbetween the previous thread and next thread links. would make things so much faster for me lol.

I know theres the forum jump at the very very bottom of the page, but it still makes me have to scroll.

Im just a pita so take this with a grain of salt lol...

Ill check to see if there is anything I can do.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hi MJ,

I was just reading the legendary threads and the "one trick pony" link doesn't lead to that thread. I believe it should link to SteveO's post about being a one trick pony. Just wanted to let you know.

Sue

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thx for letting me know ... dyslexic attack, I transposed the thread #.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
One other quick suggestion, MJ (as always, we all appreciate the fact that you consider our suggestions!): a more in-depth rep system. I think it's been a beneficial addition thus far, but I think it could be leveraged and used a little better.

For instance, it'd be nice if we could track the rep we've given. Additionally, I think it'd be cool to see which posts have been given speed the most. Idk...I guess this is nothing too important really. Just some cool things that could be added. I think they've been mentioned before, though.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
10-15 post minimum for links. its an automatwed feature i have seen for Vbulliten im not sure about any of the other boards. this will fix any spam we have in which you cannot tell wether it is actually spam or not

Shawn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 14, 2007
Pick a www or non www version and redirect the other. I am too lazy to type in www. most times for most sites and when the cookie is set on the www version and it doesn't redirect, I have to log in again. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Pick a www or non www version and redirect the other. I am too lazy to type in www. most times for most sites and when the cookie is set on the www version and it doesn't redirect, I have to log in again. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it. :)

Great idea, thanx!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
first, and idea....
there are many many great threads in the forum. Alas, many of them get lost as they don't get updated so I forget about them (and I can't stick all of those, the stickys would be more than a page by now). It would be very cool if there was an area in my profile to add many threads that I consider "classic" or that I want to have there as quick ref if I want to read them again.

Now, a question.... I've noticing lately that the Yahoo spider has been going through the forums a lot lately. Did Yahoo just discover the forum? or there is a new setting that allows the robot to go through it and yahoo is swallowing everything?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Done!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What does everyone think about a "Failure" forum? A place were we all can post our failures? Since learning is done thru failure, I think it'd be nice to hear about our failures and what we can learn about them.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
What does everyone think about a "Failure" forum? A place were we all can post our failures? Since learning is done thru failure, I think it'd be nice to hear about our failures and what we can learn about them.
Brilliant! I tried to start a thread about something similar a while back, but it didn't get too many responses. I'd love to read about them, though. One less thing I'll have to deal with in the future. :)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

I love the idea! I think it would be great, maybe even help a few people out who haven't succeeded yet and learn how to overcome potential trials for ourselves and as a group.

So where is it? lol + child forum, title, description, settings, done! :)

Come on people, chime in! :fastlane:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I love the idea! I think it would be great, maybe even help a few people out who haven't succeeded yet and learn how to overcome potential trials for ourselves and as a group.

So where is it? lol + child forum, title, description, settings, done! :)

Come on people, chime in! :fastlane:

I don't want a failure forum that is empty --- that would make the failure forum a failure! And last I checked, that would tear a hole in the space-time continuum. We must tread carefully my young Skywalker. The dark side clouds my judgment ...:coolgleamA:

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I like the idea....it is good for us to realize that failures do happen....every project we take on is not going to be a winner but one thing will come out of it, we will learn from the mistakes made and apply it to our next venture and keep moving forward.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY

I think a failure forum could actually serve more to inspire people to not accept the failure they are perceiving in a project, and open up the forum to new ideas of taking that perceived failed project in a new direction to make it a successful one...if that makes any sense.

I think back to the post a few months ago about the guy who wanted to open some candy kiosks in malls. He took a lot of flack from the Fastlaners because it wasn't fastlane enough. I believe in his mind (Walley???) that idea quickly became a failure.

HOWEVER, with the advice and discussion that followed well after he stopped following that thread, some suggestions were made that quite possibly could have taken that guy's failed project and turned into a success.

Am I making any sense? It's late and I have been awake for a while. But I think I'm getting my point across!

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
MJ, not sure if its intended or not, but every time I rep someone their speed icon duplicates itself. Some folks I have given rep to 10 times or more and their speed icon shows up 10 times making the frame huge. This could become cumbersome the longer this forum is around. I do like knowing how many times Ive given someone rep. I think the icon duplication may become an issue as I approach 20+ reps on a person. I do spread the wealth, but certain folks just contribute more.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am aware of this issue; it happens to me too. Its on my list.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

Failure forum is a great idea, however, I honestly don't know if it would work.

It would mean that people would have to "come out of the closet" so to speak. While I think it is a very healthy thing to do, I don't know that many people would do it such a public way.

I firmly believe failure is a part of success - and there is no shame in talking about it - - - as long as you are coupling it with "this is what I've learned" or if you are in the middle of it... "what are your ideas for solutions?"

Opening yourself up in this way is very difficult - especially if you are in the middle of it. It would take a level of trust that I'm not sure can be developed on an open public forum.

The other issue I'm thinking of is that some of the people here are established experts / infopreneurs and what ever you say in the public domain opens the doors to criticism / etc.

So... I've pretty much rambled and not come to any conclusion. It is a very, very important topic and it is a shame if we don't have a place to cover it, but on the other hand, I don't know that many people would expose themselves in that public way.

Failure can be a teaching tool if you show how you came through the failure and solved the problem.

And... having a core group of people you can trust (a mastermind group, perhaps?) and can confide in when you are in the middle of a challenge is also very important.

I just don't know how those two things could be integrated into this forum

????

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I actually spent a few years writing a column on this; I'd be happy to share the articles.

The articles appeared under a variety of titles*, and were all about mistakes I'd made as a custom home electronics designer/installer.

BTW, I think a "What I've learned from my Mistakes" forum would be EXCELLENT. I'd prefer we structure it as each post outlines a specific mistake and what we learned from it, with follow up posts commenting on the specific mistake/lessons learned.

How about ideas for fastlane-type names?

I'll post a sep thread on this.

Good stuff. :)

-Russ

*Names the articles appeared under:

"Confessions of a Custom Installer",
"Making Lemonade: Learning from My Mistakes",
"S2S: Secrets to Success: Confessions of a Custom Installer"

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I also think that the failure thread would be a great idea.

I personally would have many to share lol.

as for names....

overcoming obstacles????

Idk. Ill think more and come back.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I'm not sure about the perceptions of others, but I think only the unsuccessful would hesitate to share their failures. Success, can mean many things to many people, I might add. After all, what do the successful care, they're successful.

Another way to express what I'm saying that might make more sense is: For example, the self help guru's. What do they talk about? Their failures and how they made it. How to follow in their footsteps, whether fictional or not. Whether directly or indirectly, that is what's happening. Wording can make a HUGE difference.

In short, they sell their failure stories.

I think it's a great idea, with one consideration. As mentioned above, Russ and a few others are willing to contribute initially. I think that MJ, Russ, and others who choose to, should post failure stories in the manner most conducive to make people comfortable, upon forum creation. Set the tone per say.

I think that will make the difference: others seeing the benefit or learning immediately and feeling comfortable.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I haven't hit financial success yet, but I would be more then willing to share my mistakes with others.

Actually my reasons are a bit selfish.
-I really learn from my mistakes if I fully fess up to them, what better way then to tell the general public.
-I kinda get a laugh out of it sometimes. Look back and go "What the heck was I thinking"
-I also want to help others learn from my mistakes. I don't have all the experience others have on this forum, but it is another way I can give back to the community.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Chat room would be nice. :tiphat:
I kinda disagree with the chat room idea. The biggest reason, ideas and discussions are not recorded. Folks can't look back 3 months from now at a breakthrough conversation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.