The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggestions Thread

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
OK, I thought of a suggestion last night...

A friend asked me about the forum and I had to send her an email with the link.

MJ, what if you create a page from where members can invite friends to join the forum? This will send them the email with the invitation link to join the site.

Come up with a page that ask me for the email addresses of the people I want to invite, and when they join you make sure the new member appears as referred by me, increasing my counter for referrals.

Maybe giving more importance to the # of referrals will help other forum members to invite more people and to increase the number of members (i.e. top referrer of the month: PhxMJ).

Does it make sense?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Andviv-

This was actually suggested a few months ago, and I think the concern was that someone would go around and try to get a whole lot of folks joining that would not necessarily be good members.

(a quantity vs quality kind of thing).

But as I recall, this was for some kind of payback. Perhaps just getting recognition wouldn't be so bad.

I thought we had a "referred by" section when joining-- Seems I had 6 or 7 people who said they were referred by me (and I could see this on my profile). But I just looked for this and can't find it. So maybe it got buried/deleted during one of the re-dos.

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the sug, when I get back into the swing Ill check out to see if there is a mod for this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
MJ, do we have rel="nofollow" in the forum? (i'm still trying to understand the implications of this, but for what I read, having it reduces spam but makes the legitimate links carry no SEO weight... is that correct?)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm not sure of your question? As far as I know, posted links do not carry the "no-follow". No follow tells spiders not to follow the links.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hey MJ, can we add a bigears emoticon? Sometimes someone says something good and all I want to do is listen. It would be real appropriate.:cheers:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey MJ, can we add a bigears emoticon? Sometimes someone says something good and all I want to do is listen. It would be real appropriate.:cheers:

SHAMWOW BABY!

:ears:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A9fmnAsgdg]YouTube - SHAMWOW parody[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmlE71n-gFs&NR=1[/ame]

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I might be slow, but I just noticed the Legendary thread feed on the left side of the main screen. I think that was a great idea.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Hey MJ,

Here's a tweak that I think might make sense. Is there a way to change the Top 10 Posts to "The Top Ten Posts of the Last Year" (or six months, or...).

I can just see last year's B&P staying on the list for years otherwise.

Make sense?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good eye Bob! I'll see what I can do.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Looks like you figured it out!

Well I "fixed" it, then I reverted back to the old. Some important "off topic" threads were being lost. So it is back to the drawing board.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Forum suggestion/question--Possible new section for progress logs

I'm not sure if this has been suggested previously but I have seen this thread http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/your-goals-your-fastlane-plan/58-action-takers-what-you-up.html by ATW and thought it was a good idea.

However with the thread becoming cluttered with many responses it is hard for a person to report upon their goals and what they are doing to achieve these goals without them being forgotten once the next poster reports in.

My question is would the "Your Goals / Your Fastlane Plan" section be the appropriate section to make a log/diary or would it be better to have a dedicated section specifically for these type of threads?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Forum suggestion/question--Possible new section for progress logs

I'm not sure if this has been suggested previously but I have seen this thread http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/your-goals-your-fastlane-plan/58-action-takers-what-you-up.html by ATW and thought it was a good idea.

However with the thread becoming cluttered with many responses it is hard for a person to report upon their goals and what they are doing to achieve these goals without them being forgotten once the next poster reports in.

My question is would the "Your Goals / Your Fastlane Plan" section be the appropriate section to make a log/diary or would it be better to have a dedicated section specifically for these type of threads?

If you want to feature your goals and track them separately, please do post in that forum. That section was designed so you can create a thread highlighting your goals, and then keep updates on them. So to answer your question, that forum exists for your defined purpose. So, feel free!

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Along those same lines, people may enjoy blogging here... there is a vbulletin blog plug in.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
To add to both great suggestions, I have been having some challenges getting a local gathering setup and the main focus is to not only put faces with names(as I know that not everyone will be able to make it to B&P for all the fun and festivities :cheers:), but it would be nice to start networking in person and have some goal-setting/Cashflow playing meetings or I dunno, talk cars, sports or whatever else everyone here likes, besides of course fastlane biz ideas :smxB:

So long story short- Some type of Gatherings sub-forum.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I noticed the new button for the book pre-order. I like it, nice color selection. Great submit text.

I suggest you make the email field and the button the same size.
Also, making the button with rounded corners should give it a nice look, but that will not be as important as the size.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
Didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this is a dupe: Wouldn't it be nice to get a notice (mail, popup, whatever) when you get some rep?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's a nice idea and there is a plugin for it, I just have to determine if the additional load on the box is worth it ... (I requires a database change that is more processor intense)

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Now that your AdSense is in such a prominent position, I'll bet you that if you:

1. remove the border (blend into page by making it the same color)
  2. blend the ad background color to the page color
you'll see a dramatic increase in CTR.

Also worth split testing the link colors. In my experience (#000080 - Navy) performs the best.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Now that your AdSense is in such a prominent position, I'll bet you that if you:

1. remove the border (blend into page by making it the same color)
  2. blend the ad background color to the page color
you'll see a dramatic increase in CTR.

Also worth split testing the link colors. In my experience (#000080 - Navy) performs the best.

Do you mean, having a white background? There is no background in the upper section.

Thanks for the tip ... and BTW, the move already increased CTR X 10. Don't mind having that go up even more!! :icon_super:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Do you mean, having a white background? There is no background in the upper section.

Yes, when you are building the ad in AdSense, set the ad's background color to #FFFFFF, and the same for the ad's border color #FFFFFF.

(and remove that slight background color that is around the search box, so the entire area is white.)

and BTW, the move already increased CTR X 10. Don't mind having that go up even more!! :icon_super:

Yes, that is not surprising, you've put it right in the sweetspot of the page. My first thought was, "What can I advertise in that spot?" :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.