What's new

Success Story: Product Development with No Experience

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block and all non-sponsor ads.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Hey guys, I haven’t been on the forum for a while so I’m due for an update. I realized I was reading too much and action faking so I decided to take a break and get shit done. I should’ve posted something sooner, but better late than never.

Since I was last active, I developed and launched my own product and just recently sold the business. Now my wife and I are taking a bit of time off traveling around SE Asia so I have some time to clear my head. I can get into the reasons I sold the business, but I think the more interesting parts are all the lessons I’ve learned along the way. So I guess I’ll start with that and then feel free to ask me anything below.

First thing most people have asked me…is how much did I sell it for? What was my revenue? What was the multiple on my biz valuation? And of course, how did I find the idea for my product?

The first three questions won’t do jack shit to help anyone, so I’ll start with the fourth one. I found my idea by working in the beer industry. I would do literally any job that related to beer. I cleaned lines and got sprayed with moldy beer…more than a couple times too. Yes I can honestly say I’ve had a golden shower…not the R. Kelly style, but still golden nonetheless. I delivered 160-pound kegs and drove sometimes 15 hours in a single day to make sure our growing sales numbers were actually fulfilled. All the while getting bitched at for the delivery being 15 minutes late. I swept floors, installed plumbing, served beers, made cold face-to-face sales calls. Basically, I did every job I could at least once.

The point of this story is simply that…ALL of my ideas came from my experience working in the industry. I kept a journal with me at all times and eventually had well over 100 different beer products, services, or software ideas. The key takeaway here is: if the reason you haven’t started yet is that you don’t have any good ideas…just go out and get involved in an industry (preferably a big one) and take any opportunity you get to learn something. Then, just keep your eyes open. The more important and shittier the job is, the better the opportunity.

At some point, I realized I needed to just shut up and do something. So I went through all of my ideas and marked off the ones based on three criteria.
  1. Would I actually stick to it long enough to give it a chance to succeed.
  2. Could I afford it?
  3. Did I have the know-how or at least access to the know-how?
The first criteria ruled out most of the service ideas I had. And the third one ruled out the software ideas (for the time being). So that left me with a physical product. And since I learned firsthand what issues sucked the most, I picked the product idea that I would have most wanted in the field.

And that leads me to my next big lesson. Product development can be VERY expensive and time-consuming. One of the biggest reasons I chose the product was because I could afford to launch it. I found ways to get through the development stages very quickly and cheaply. Basically, I found a way to use mostly off-the-shelf parts that I could resell if the product sucked. This actually turned into one of my product benefits since it wouldn’t cost a fortune to repair. So I spent about $200-300 bucks on parts and built a prototype.

I can’t remember whose term this was, but I love the word “ghettotyping.” At first, I wanted my prototype to be perfect and complete. But then I realized just how stupid that was. All I really needed to know is if the damn thing would work. So I scrapped all my plans to have special parts custom machined, and then just used zip-ties, duct tape, scrap wood, and stole key parts from other products…whatever would allow me to simply test my product. Luckily, it worked…and it worked better than I thought it would.

Great! Now I needed to figure out if it would actually sell. So I spent some time making a few more prototypes that looked decent enough to sell. I found some suppliers who were willing to do small sample orders. I promised to make larger orders if the samples worked. I guess I should also add that it took a very long time to find suppliers for a few key parts I needed. I had almost given up after several weeks of searching until I got lucky and found a picture of what I needed. I followed the link and voila, I finally found the manufacturer.

They didn’t make it to the exact specs I needed, so I asked and the manufacturer said they’d do it if I would buy at least 100 units (roughly $2500). I agreed if they would sell me a few samples to test first and a few weeks later I had the missing parts. Then I went out where I thought my customers were and demonstrated the product. Right off the bat, I had several customers willing to hand me cash….Now we’re in business.

Before this point, I never stopped to think about branding, what business entity should I organize, what kind of logo do I want, and when should I order business cards. These are the things I used to think about before I even had a product. Then someone on the forum slapped some sense into me and pointed out how silly this was.

This time was different though. This time I actually HAD a product and was ready to start selling. It was invigorating to finally get beyond the over-planning stage and I started to get really excited. I had tons of energy and suddenly I was willing to stay up as late as necessary to get things done. And the really funny (or depressing?) part is that all the stuff I just mentioned…only took a few hours. I had organized my LLC, named the product, purchased the domain, and outsourced the logo design in half a day.

So while I waited for all the paperwork and logo design process, I followed through on my word to my suppliers and quickly put in a bigger order. This seems like a good time to mention another thing I learned about dealing with suppliers. If you promise them bigger orders and they deliver, be ready to stick to your word and act quickly and decisively. I have no doubt my suppliers lost money on the sample order and I wanted to build a strong relationship from the start. They went above and beyond for me, so I returned the favor. This supplier turned out to be one of the best I’ve ever worked with.

Next, I went to work on the website. I had no experience and since money was tight at the time, I had to build it myself. Again, this was the type of crap that I’d normally spend way too much time perfecting, so I decided to go with Wordpress and woocommerce. I basically let the reviews decide for me which theme to use and I hit the ground running. The only goal was to have a website that could accept credit card payments and a few pictures with some decent sales copy. Again, money was tight and I couldn’t afford a copywriter, so I learned and wrote it myself. I used stripe for my CC processing for no other reason than it was incredibly easy to setup. Again, I just needed to be able to take payment. Who cares about 1-2% processing fees when I still technically have $0 in sales?

This seems like a good place to stop for now…next post I’ll start with how I got the initial sales rolling and my biggest mistake which lead to a pivot that made the business viable.

Oh, and before I go here's two more random things I learned:
  1. Failure is nowhere near as scary as we make it. If you're not taking too much risk, failure usually means you lose a little bit of money or simply waste a little time. And all the while you're learning...If my product failed, I could have sold all the parts on ebay. Or worst case scenario, I lose about $3k and a couple weeks of my time. Now that I look at failure this way, I'm not afraid of it anymore.
  2. The advice about sticking to one business/project at a time is spot on. It’s damn hard to juggle two projects at once and be exceptional at both. Either you get burned out or the value you provide starts to decline. In the end, one or both businesses usually suffer from the divided attention.

Hsiev tvagg, vjeplt gus qutvoph. O’n fiwimuqoph e qsufadv sohjv pux cav O fofp’v gummux zuas samit apgusvapevimz. O jewi e hsiev qsufadv xovj huuf giifcedl, cav O dep’v eggusf vji coh usfis.

O’n jewoph vu hiv dsievowi xovj nz neslivoph epf temit duqz vu hiv tuni qsi-usfist fupi vu gapf vji opovoem usfis. Nefi vjopht e movvmi cov jesfis, cav moli zua teof O en miespoph iwisz tviq ug vji xez.

Dep’v xeov vu sief vji sitv.

Duphsevt up zuas tadditt, muuloph gxf vu aqfevit.

E gimmux qsufadv fiwimuqis xju’t op vji ciis opfatvsz...

Jux esi xi puv citv gsoipft? :qmezgam:

Hsiev kuc tu ges, muuloph gusxesf vu vji aqfevit.

Jiz hazt, tussz gus vji fimez up vji aqfevit. O katv huv vu Vjeomepf epf vji opvispiv ot vissocmi jisi. Xi huv tvadl op Opfupitoe gus e gix fezt fai vu vji Nv. Ehaph isaqvoup epf gopemmz tivvmif opvu uas pix qmedi. O'mm hiv ep aqfevi qutvif vjot egvispuup (nuspoph op vji AT).

Tussz gus vji jahi fimez up e gummux-aq. Vji vjsief ecuav vji Getvmepi Tannov depdimmevoup fsuwi ni vu qutv vji gummux-aqt. Xjip O metv qutvif op Fidincis, O xet mowoph op Vjeomepf xovj qmept vu aqfevi ev mietv updi e xiil. Vjip katv cigusi O duamf qutv vji tidupf qesv, O huv pixt vjev nz csuvjis foif op e nuvusdzdmi eddofipv. Ji xet nz citv gsoipf epf vji qsitofipv ug nz uvjis catopitt (e dsegv csixisz) tu O jef vu fsuq iwiszvjoph epf onnifoevimz gmz jemg-xez esuapf vji xusmf ev vji xustv quttocmi voni ug zies vu liiq vji catopitt egmuev. Up vuq ug emm vji tjov O jef vu fiem xovj, O fofp'v giim moli O xet op vji sohjv qmedi vu dupvsocavi. Ov vuul popi nupvjt vu hiv vji catopitt cedl up vsedl, tu jisi O en.

Mittup miespif: neli tasi zua jewi liz nep optasepdi og zua simz up qistuppim et onqusvepv et vjot. Ov dutvt emnutv puvjoph epf dep tewi iwiszvjoph. O’n xusloph up e qutv gus vji csixisz, cav O vjopl vji catopitt O sidipvmz tumf ot nusi simiwepv jisi. Tu jisi’t xjisi O migv ugg…

Voni vu qodl aq xjisi O migv ugg. Op nz metv qutv, O vemlif ecuav jux O huv tvesvif epf ipfif katv cigusi O xet vsamz “timmoph.” Gsun nz metv vxu catopittit, O dep vimm zua vjev sex temit esi 90% ug vji cevvmi…ev mietv ev gostv. Epf og fotvsocavoup ot upi ug zuas neop dupdispt, vjev siqsitipvt ev mietv jemg ug vjev 90%. Iwiszvjoph imti upmz taqqusvt vjuti vxu uckidvowit.

Vji catopitt O’n vemloph ecuav op vjot vjsief xet tumf geosmz iesmz. O'mm hiv opvu vji sietupt xjz O tumf op e movvmi cov, cav vji neop sietup xet vjev vji djemmiphi ug sappoph vxu catopittit siemmz tvesvif vu devdj aq xovj ni. Vji csixisz xet vji cohhis uqqusvapovz, tu ov xet siemmz e pu-cseopis fidotoup. Epf op vjev sihesf, O deppuv uggis nadj lpuxmifhi cizupf vji quopv ev xjodj O tumf, uvjis vjep vji lpii-fiiq tovaevoup O en op xovj vji csixisz. (Nusi vu duni up vjot upi op e tiqesevi vjsief) Vji csixisz ot ep iyvsinimz deqovem opviptowi catopitt, tu O iyqidv puv ipvosimz simiwepv vu nutv. Tu gus pux, O’mm tvez xovj vji wipvasi vjev epzupi duamf jewi tvesvif…

Updi O jef qsuug ug dupdiqv, ov xet voni vu edvaemmz hiv detj op vji fuus. Pux O piifif vu dummidv detj op vji vidjpodem tipti. Pu nusi qsunotit, pu nusi “zua’wi huv nz xusf” qmifhit vu caz nz qsufadv. O piifif vjin vu txoqi vjios dsifov desf…us jepf ni vji iyedv enuapv op detj us djidl…opdmafoph temit vey.

O siemobif e xictovi xet dsadoem og O xepvif vu muul mihov. Epf katv moli vji mittup O miespif ecuav “hjivvuvzqoph” vji xictovi katv piifif vu muul huuf ipuahj vu dmuti vji temi. Tu vjev’t emm O fof.

O caomv e xictovi xovj e gix fidipv qjuvut, epf tuni fidipv duqz, epf e zuavaci inciffif temit wofiu vjev O dsievif nztimg. Gus vji wofiu, O atif ep oQjupi vjev xet fadv-veqif vu e cestvuum. Upi ug nz gsoipft jet e siem itvevi qjuvuhseqjz catopitt, tu O hewi jon gsii ciis xjipiwis ji duamf jimq uav. O ifovif epf fof vji wuodi-uwis nztimg. Epf vjot ot vji gappz qesv…O jef vu liiq si-tjuuvoph e dsadoem tdipi cideati sepfun dest liqv tjuxoph aq epf saopoph nz dmoq. O ipfif aq hivvoph e qsivvz tumof cabb topdi vjot tjuv opwumwif veloph e meshi hamq ug ciis. Xjomi O sinincis vjiti vjopht, ov nelit ni siemobi jux nadj gap vjot qsuditt siemmz xet. Ev vji voni, O xet ephsz epf ossovevif xovj vji opdupwipoipdi. Cav pux O dep meahj ev vji xjumi vjoph. Vjot ot vji lopf ug tvusz O iyqidv emm tvesvaq ipvsiqsipiast jewi.

O xuslif up vji wofiu epf xictovi fasoph vji xiilipft epf ev pohjvt xjomi nz gsoipft xisi uav fsoploph. Topdi O duamf upmz fifodevi ecuav upi gamm apopvissaqvif fez qis xiil vu vjot, O xuamf tez ov vuul ecuav e nupvj vu dunqmivi. Ov vaspif uav vu ci hsiev vonoph topdi ov vuul ecuav 3-4 xiilt vu hiv nz opovoem usfis op. Pux vjev O jewi tuni iyqisoipdi xovj wofiu ifovoph, O vjopl O duamf jewi dunqmivif vjot op vxu fezt.

Updi vji xictovi xet gapdvoupem O xipv uav vu hiv temit. O tipv vjin vu nz xictovi vu djidl uav us atif e gsii QezQem dsifov desf txoqis up nz dimm qjupi. Gostv O tumf vu vji datvunist xju tjuxif opvisitv op nz qsuvuvzqi. Vjip O piifif vu gopf nusi datvunist, tu O vsoif vu haitt xjev nesliv qsitipvif vji cohhitv uqqusvapovz. Nz haitt vaspif uav vu ci dunqmivimz xsuph. Gus tuni sietup, O gushuv vjev O caomv vji qsufadv vu tumwi nz uxp qsucmin. Tu vji nutv molimz datvunis xuamf ci vji upi xju jef vji teni qsucmint et O fof. Ug duasti, vjev’t puv emxezt e huuf ettanqvoup, cav op nz deti ov xet.

Qmat, vjisi xet epuvjis cipigov vu qatjoph temit vu qsutqidvt xovj e tonomes “qistupe” et nopi. Topdi vji qsucmin nz qsufadv tumwif xet ges nusi qeopgam vu ni, tonomes qsutqidvt xuamf hiv nusi wemai gsun vji tumavoup. Vjiz xisi xommoph vu howi ni sewoph vitvonupoemt, qsufadv siwoixt, tudoem nifoe tjesit, us iwip civvis...xusf ug nuavj sidunnipfevoupt. Nutv ug vji voni, emm O jef vu fu xet etl gus ov. Us og vjiz jef tuni lopf ug qsucmin us piifif e djieq siqmedinipv qesv, O xuamf jimq vjin uav ev pu djeshi op iydjephi gus e siwoix. Ug duasti, O piwis etlif gus e 5-tves siwoix, cav 100% ug vji voni vjev’t iyedvmz xjev O huv.

Tu O haitt O tjuamf cedl aq e cov. O teof iesmois vjev O xuamf veml ecuav vji cohhitv notveli O nefi epf jux vjev mief ni vu qowuv. Ov xet tu ietz vu timm vu nz gostv datvunist, O ettanif vji csuefis duptanis nesliv xuamf ci katv et sidiqvowi vu nz qsufadv't cipigovt. Gostv O vsoif gedicuul efwisvotoph epf huv nezci e gix temit. Vjip O vsoif Efxusft. Eheop, e pihevowi SUO. O siemmz fofp’v lpux xjev O xet fuoph, cav O duamf vimm ov xetp’v xusloph epf ov xuamf veli e muph voni epf molimz dutv e muv ug nupiz vu gohasi ov uav. Epf vjev’t xjip O fidofif vu gudat ipvosimz up vji C2C nesliv.

O fivisnopif vjev opfatvsz dupwipvoupt epf iwipvt xuamf ci xjisi O’f gopf vji nutv C2C datvunist. O fofp’v jewi vji detj vu qasdjeti e cuuvj ev dupwipvoupt ev gostv, tu O cetodemmz katv xipv vu vjin. O nefi e catopitt desf xovj e qodvasi ug nz qsufadv up upi tofi epf dupvedv opgu epf xictovi effsitt up vji cedl vu jepf uav. O migv e cmepl mopi up vji cedl tu O duamf jepf-xsovi e duaqup dufi vjev iyqosif tuup. O nefi foggisipv duaqup dufit epf vsoif foggisipv vjopht tu O duamf vsedl xjev xuslif epf xjev fofp'v. Vjot nefi e jahi foggisipdi op hivvoph vji usfist qmedif xovjuav jewoph vu gummux aq.

O dumf-demmif epf finuptvsevif vji qsufadv iwisz djepdi O duamf hiv op gsupv ug quvipvoem datvunist. Epf vjev’t xjip temit tlzsudlivif gsun katv apfis $1l qis nupvj vu nusi vjep $5l. Piyv nupvj xet 6, vjip 7, epf vjip O ietomz cmix qetv vji $10l nesl. Epf vjev’t xjisi ov cideni foggodamv vu tdemi epz gasvjis.

O’mm tvuq jisi gus pux. Nz piyv qutv xomm veli e muul ev liiqoph vji temit nunipvan huoph, nz tdemoph qsucmint, epf xjev O fof gsun vjisi. Giim gsii vu etl epz raitvoupt. O’n dunnovvif vu howoph cedl vu vjot gusan xjodj jet howip ni tu nadj. Tu qmieti gosi exez epf O’mm fu nz citv vu eptxis.

Djiist

O dumf-demmif epf finuptvsevif vji qsufadv iwisz djepdi O duamf hiv op gsupv ug quvipvoem datvunist. Epf vjev’t xjip temit tlzsudlivif gsun katv apfis $1l qis nupvj vu nusi vjep $5l. Piyv nupvj xet 6, vjip 7, epf vjip O ietomz cmix qetv vji $10l nesl. Epf vjev’t xjisi ov cideni foggodamv vu tdemi epz gasvjis.

Uj nep! O sinincis cedl xjip zua xisi qsuvuvzqoph vjot vjoph uav epf tuasdoph qesvt. Eneboph vu tii ov duni gamm dosdmi vu jiemvjz temit epf ep iyov.

Duphsevt nep.

Duphsevt up zuas tadditt, epf wisz tussz ecuav zuas csuvjis.

Dep zua howi at qesv 3 aqfevi?

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs achieve reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circl, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom