The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I raise Capital or teach myself product development

steel-potato

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 30, 2023
Australia
I already know HTML, CSS, and the basics of JS. But the business I am building will require a more complex backend such as React and Tailwind CSS. I currently work as a product designer for a reputable agency, so am confident in my ability to design the damn thing. But I am not a full-stack developer. That is something people learn for years at University. I've been teaching myself on the side and don't hate it. Development makes sense to me but I know it will take me a while to learn. 6 months minimum.

So far, I've done 6 interviews to validate the idea. I've gone through the ideation process and have just written my UVP. Now, I'm ready to start going into the specifics of the design. The question is: do I try to raise capital so that I can focus on this full time sooner; or do I keep building this by myself on the side? Pros of raising would be that I don't need to learn wed-dev, and it might speed things along. Cons: I lose equity, and I would have to quit my cozy job.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oneac

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 29, 2022
I already know HTML, CSS, and the basics of JS. But the business I am building will require a more complex backend such as React and Tailwind CSS. I currently work as a product designer for a reputable agency, so am confident in my ability to design the damn thing. But I am not a full-stack developer. That is something people learn for years at University. I've been teaching myself on the side and don't hate it. Development makes sense to me but I know it will take me a while to learn. 6 months minimum.

So far, I've done 6 interviews to validate the idea. I've gone through the ideation process and have just written my UVP. Now, I'm ready to start going into the specifics of the design. The question is: do I try to raise capital so that I can focus on this full time sooner; or do I keep building this by myself on the side? Pros of raising would be that I don't need to learn wed-dev, and it might speed things along. Cons: I lose equity, and I would have to quit my cozy job.

Thoughts?
Hey, sounds like you've been thinking a lot about this.

I recently found this free app that helps make big decisions. It's just an online weighted average decision matrix, MJ mentions this tool (WADM, not the specific website I showed you) in his books as a good way to make meaningful decisions.

I suggest you use this thread as suggestions and things to consider when making your decision. No one can give you a better answer than the decision you make yourself after careful meditation, taking your personal life in to consideration.

I wish you the best on your journey.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Thoughts?

No one can tell you the answer. You are the only one who knows, what does your gut tell you?

Job and monthly salary is addicting. Side hustle that pays you well gets you out of that addiction.

If you choose to raise capital, remember that the first round of investors are: 3F … family, friends and fools.

Worrying about equity isn’t a big deal. Worry about control. I’d rather own 1% of Amazon than 100% of your startup.

Good luck.

steel-potato

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 30, 2023
Australia
Hey, sounds like you've been thinking a lot about this.

I recently found this free app that helps make big decisions. It's just an online weighted average decision matrix, MJ mentions this tool (WADM, not the specific website I showed you) in his books as a good way to make meaningful decisions.

I suggest you use this thread as suggestions and things to consider when making your decision. No one can give you a better answer than the decision you make yourself after careful meditation, taking your personal life in to consideration.

I wish you the best on your journey.
Thank you for the resource! I've bookmarked it and will be using it in the future. Good point too that no one can tell me the right answer here. Hopefully I will gain some more insights though from someone who has perhaps been in a similar positon.

Cheers,
E

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

steel-potato

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 30, 2023
Australia
No one can tell you the answer. You are the only one who knows, what does your gut tell you?

Job and monthly salary is addicting. Side hustle that pays you well gets you out of that addiction.

If you choose to raise capital, remember that the first round of investors are: 3F … family, friends and fools.

Worrying about equity isn’t a big deal. Worry about control. I’d rather own 1% of Amazon than 100% of your startup.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. Good point re: equity. My gut is telling me to keep learning it on the side for a while, at least until I have something rudimentary up and running, which will hopefully validate that this is something that can work. Can think of investment again then.
Cheers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.