The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

STOP Paying Rent: Live For Free

soulprenuer

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 23, 2021
Has anyone done this in California lately? the market here is insane and I would rather not move but I'm trying to figure out the best way to house hack here...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Has anyone done this in California lately? the market here is insane and I would rather not move but I'm trying to figure out the best way to house hack here...
Yes, I just bought a house $475,000, 3/2, .5 acre in Sacramento, CA. My plan to rent out the main house for $2400/month and rent out the building in the back (converting into multiple studios to rent for $1250/month each)

Last edited:

soulprenuer

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 23, 2021
Yes, I just bought a house $490,000, 3/2, .5 acre in Sacramento, CA. My plan to rent out the main house for $2400/month and rent out detached garage (converting into studio $1250/month).
Nice, congrats! that sounds like a sweet deal.

fosterzz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 14, 2022
Fastlane brothers and sisters, I am here to show you the light should you so accept to see it. I’d like to offer some advice from my experiences and to share the wealth of living rent free.

This is not a revolutionary topic, and I am not a revolutionary human. Living rent free has been done by many. Living rent free with cash flow has also been done by many (including me). It is easy. It will likely end up costing you less than $10,000 (I only brought $5,900 to the closing table on my first property). It’s a no brainer move for those of you who are hungry and ready to forge your own path in life. Ever since I posted about my first 3-flat, members have reached out to me asking what type of financing I utilized, where I began, what books I read...this thread is a basic answer to many of those questions.

This thread is not intended to make you join the apartment investor Fastlane (although cash flow has severely addictive qualities, just ask @SteveO, @AroundTheWorld, @zen*******, @RealOG, @CashFlowDepot, etc.). No, this thread is here to help you make one simple move that can stabilize your life as your pursue whatever Fastlane you choose. Stop paying the man each month (me) and start focusing on your goals. I hope that this thread will help even JUST ONE person on here to live without the constant cloud of having a rent / mortgage payment every month.

No longer will the excuse of “I have too many bills to pay to quit my job and enter the Fastlane full time” remain valid. We are building your shelter. We are building your money tree. We are building the castle from which you will wage your war.

This thread is targeted for those of you who currently have:
  • A stream of income from your lame J.O.B., from your own business (need 2 years of 1099 history for this to work if self-employed), from your full blown Fastlane venture or from your sugar daddy/ momma (whatever) and
  • Currently do not have an FHA mortgage
We are going to learn how to purchase a duplex, 3-flat or 4-flat with as little as 3.5% down that will cash-flow and pay for itself.

Are you tired of paying your landlord your hard earned wage each month and having nothing to show for it? Do you wish you had a money tree in your backyard? Good. Let’s rock and roll.

Let’s break down what you will need to do into a simple list:

1. Contact / engage a mortgage broker
    1. Hop on Yelp! and search for the best mortgage broker in your city. Pick one who has high remarks in their reviews. Don’t get bogged down searching for the perfect mortgage broker. There are thousands in every city. Call a few and pick the one that pays attention to you (answers quickly, calls you back quickly, etc.)
    2. Obtain a mortgage pre-approval (broker will walk you through the steps) for an FHA mortgage (broker will walk you through all the documents they need you to sign)
i. An FHA mortgage is a tool that first time home buyers who will be owner-occupants (move into the property) can utilize​
ii. Broker will run your credit (FHA minimum score threshold is around 550 I think, so hopefully you are a responsible, bill-paying-son-of-a-b*tch)!​

3. Once you are pre-approved, the mortgage broker will get you the loan you need once your real estate broker (step 2) finds you the property you want. They will charge you a fee at closing (likely 1%, or 1 “point”) which can be rolled into your loan​

2. Engage a real estate broker
    1. Same thing, head to Yelp! and pick based on reviews. Call a few and tell them what you are searching for:
    2. Tell your broker you want to look for owner-occupant Freddie Mac (HomeSteps), Fannie Mae (HomePath) properties that are between 2 to 4 units (our ideal number is 3 or 4 units)
i. The reason we like Fannie and Freddie foreclosures is because owner-occupant buyers have a 14 day window to bid on these properties before investors. This restriction is intended to keep real estate investors from driving up the price of houses on the home buying citizens of America. Which is good for you, Mr. first time home-buyer!​

3. Look at some properties (criteria)
    1. Check out properties you think fit the size criteria, and that are in a good area of your city. Try to stick near big transportation hubs (trains) and try to pick an up-and-coming neighborhood (read: follow the hipsters)
i. Hipster neighborhoods are the next places that will “turn” economically in a given city, and are great spots to realize cash flow​

2. Hop on PadMapper.com (good for checking rents in an area) to see what kind of rents you can expect from the property you are looking at​
i. Example (all made up): 3 unit, Seattle with all units having 2 beds 1 bath.​
  • Rents in the area are $1,000 per unit on average (same size, quality, finishes, etc.)

3. Take the gross amount of rents and apply a safe buffer of 50% for expenses:​
i. 3 units x $1,000 = $3,000 per month gross rents x 50% = $1,500 expenses​
  • This means you keep $1,500 in your pocket (your “NOI” or Net Operating Income)

4. Figure out a buffer for your mortgage (and any possible cash flow)​
i. If you paid $200,000 for this property @ 4.25% for 30-years and 3.5% down, your monthly payment would be ~$1,500. Voila, no mortgage​
  • This doesn’t take into account that most months you will not hit 50% expenses. Some will be 0% (very cash positive), some will be 150% (cash drain) so be sure to keep reserves set aside from the good months for when the bad months come around
ii. You make your money when you BUY not when you sell​

4. Pull the trigger!
    1. I would recommend looking at 15 to 20 properties with your agent and getting a good feel for the market. You will start to recognize trends.
This whole process will only take 2 months or so and sets you up for months of lower-stress productivity. Stop subscribing to get rich quick mindset. Good things require process and take time.

If this interests you, just start calling people! Just because you talk to brokers doesn’t mean you HAVE to buy something. Good brokers will hold your hand through the whole process. If a property was recently rehabbed or isn't more than 10 years old...then use 40% for expenses when you do your quick-check math. If a property has under market rents...don't pay for what the property "COULD" be operating at. Pay what it is currently worth knowing that when you increase the rents you will cover your mortgage and realize equity appreciation. Just use common sense.

If you think you can spend your resources in a better place, or make the “jobless” leap without buying your “castle”, then please do. This thread is for people stuck in a job or who are too timid to take a leap of faith without first building a small form of support.

I did not even touch on the fact that you can utilize an FHA 203-k loan, and get rehab construction rolled up into your loan amount, or the larger fundamentals of apartment investing, but that is because I am not trying to teach you how to be a guru here, I am simply providing a path to ease your monthly financial burden.

If you are going to make this move and want to hit a home run, DO YOUR RESEARCH and take a dive down the rabbit hole. If you don’t want to spend a ton of time learning how to hit a home run, that’s alright because you must remember that singles, doubles and triples (pun intended) still put points on the board in the long-run. Just get moving NOW!

Read some apartment investing books over the course of a few weeks and then plan your path to freedom carefully. Don’t shoot in the dark, but make sure you do in fact shoot. No deal will ever be perfect. The timing will never be right. Pull the trigger now.

Note: I am not a financial advisor or a lawyer and this thread is purely an opinion that I hope you can draw from. Purchase property, or invest, at your own risk.

PS. Buy in the winter months if you want to get lower pricing and less market competition.

G
Quite interesting, thanks for sharing!
Anyone know any apartment investment books worth the read?

Awoken

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Dec 12, 2021
In the UK this doesnt seem to work the same, unit properties are not really a thing here other than flats, yet they tend to be owned separately.

You could rent out a bedroom of a main property to a lodger here, and there are schemes that incentivise this... if you’re alright with sharing the space and privacy. Or own two properties and rent one out to multiple lodgers (though the capital required is more substantial as you would not be a resident of the renting property).

I would definitely take advantage of this if I was across the pond. Considering the ‘UK variant’ too.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
In the UK this doesnt seem to work the same, unit properties are not really a thing here other than flats, yet they tend to be owned separately.

You could rent out a bedroom of a main property to a lodger here, and there are schemes that incentivise this... if you’re alright with sharing the space and privacy. Or own two properties and rent one out to multiple lodgers (though the capital required is more substantial as you would not be a resident of the renting property).

I would definitely take advantage of this if I was across the pond. Considering the ‘UK variant’ too.
Frustratingly this is true . It's not ideal here to get this sort of deal especially with uk house prices lol

I don't know much about property other than the fact I've bought 1 but the closest avenues we may have are HMO's or if they exist hopefully a house converted into flats and you could live in 1 while someone pays for the other

patchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Oct 15, 2022
I've been seeing alot of people talking about property and it just seems alot to me in my mid 20s. I guess i have to start somewhere and this is good info. Any books you recommend for a beginner??

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Is this still viable, and possible in Canada? The market here seems off the charts, but so is rent... and with the future influx of immigrants that are prospected to keep flooding in... I am trying to decide if this could be a good place to put some funds that are currently not being utilized rather than pay rent.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Is this still viable, and possible in Canada? The market here seems off the charts, but so is rent... and with the future influx of immigrants that are prospected to keep flooding in... I am trying to decide if this could be a good place to put some funds that are currently not being utilized rather than pay rent.

Buddy. Let's pretend for a second that no one answers you.

What are the steps that you would have to take in order to find out the answer to your question?

The more problems you solve for yourself, the more you exercise your entrepreneur muscle.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

What are the steps that you would have to take in order to find out the answer to your question?

The more problems you solve for yourself, the more you exercise your entrepreneur muscle.

swcmaYr.gif

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021

You are absolutely right, thank you.

barangokalp

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 22, 2023
Fastlane brothers and sisters, I am here to show you the light should you so accept to see it. I’d like to offer some advice from my experiences and to share the wealth of living rent free.

This is not a revolutionary topic, and I am not a revolutionary human. Living rent free has been done by many. Living rent free with cash flow has also been done by many (including me). It is easy. It will likely end up costing you less than $10,000 (I only brought $5,900 to the closing table on my first property). It’s a no brainer move for those of you who are hungry and ready to forge your own path in life. Ever since I posted about my first 3-flat, members have reached out to me asking what type of financing I utilized, where I began, what books I read...this thread is a basic answer to many of those questions.

This thread is not intended to make you join the apartment investor Fastlane (although cash flow has severely addictive qualities, just ask @SteveO, @AroundTheWorld, @zen*******, @RealOG, @CashFlowDepot, etc.). No, this thread is here to help you make one simple move that can stabilize your life as your pursue whatever Fastlane you choose. Stop paying the man each month (me) and start focusing on your goals. I hope that this thread will help even JUST ONE person on here to live without the constant cloud of having a rent / mortgage payment every month.

No longer will the excuse of “I have too many bills to pay to quit my job and enter the Fastlane full time” remain valid. We are building your shelter. We are building your money tree. We are building the castle from which you will wage your war.

• A stream of income from your lame J.O.B., from your own business (need 2 years of 1099 history for this to work if self-employed), from your full blown Fastlane venture or from your sugar daddy/ momma (whatever) and
We are going to learn how to purchase a duplex, 3-flat or 4-flat with as little as 3.5% down that will cash-flow and pay for itself.

Are you tired of paying your landlord your hard earned wage each month and having nothing to show for it? Do you wish you had a money tree in your backyard? Good. Let’s rock and roll.

1. Hop on Yelp! and search for the best mortgage broker in your city. Pick one who has high remarks in their reviews. Don’t get bogged down searching for the perfect mortgage broker. There are thousands in every city. Call a few and pick the one that pays attention to you (answers quickly, calls you back quickly, etc.)
    2. Obtain a mortgage pre-approval (broker will walk you through the steps) for an FHA mortgage (broker will walk you through all the documents they need you to sign)
i. An FHA mortgage is a tool that first time home buyers who will be owner-occupants (move into the property) can utilize​
ii. Broker will run your credit (FHA minimum score threshold is around 550 I think, so hopefully you are a responsible, bill-paying-son-of-a-b*tch)!​

3. Once you are pre-approved, the mortgage broker will get you the loan you need once your real estate broker (step 2) finds you the property you want. They will charge you a fee at closing (likely 1%, or 1 “point”) which can be rolled into your loan​

1. Same thing, head to Yelp! and pick based on reviews. Call a few and tell them what you are searching for:
    2. Tell your broker you want to look for owner-occupant Freddie Mac (HomeSteps), Fannie Mae (HomePath) properties that are between 2 to 4 units (our ideal number is 3 or 4 units)
i. The reason we like Fannie and Freddie foreclosures is because owner-occupant buyers have a 14 day window to bid on these properties before investors. This restriction is intended to keep real estate investors from driving up the price of houses on the home buying citizens of America. Which is good for you, Mr. first time home-buyer!​

1. Check out properties you think fit the size criteria, and that are in a good area of your city. Try to stick near big transportation hubs (trains) and try to pick an up-and-coming neighborhood (read: follow the hipsters)
i. Hipster neighborhoods are the next places that will “turn” economically in a given city, and are great spots to realize cash flow​

2. Hop on PadMapper.com (good for checking rents in an area) to see what kind of rents you can expect from the property you are looking at​
  • Rents in the area are $1,000 per unit on average (same size, quality, finishes, etc.)

• This means you keep $1,500 in your pocket (your “NOI” or Net Operating Income)

i. If you paid $200,000 for this property @ 4.25% for 30-years and 3.5% down, your monthly payment would be ~$1,500. Voila, no mortgage​
  • This doesn’t take into account that most months you will not hit 50% expenses. Some will be 0% (very cash positive), some will be 150% (cash drain) so be sure to keep reserves set aside from the good months for when the bad months come around

4. Pull the trigger!
    1. I would recommend looking at 15 to 20 properties with your agent and getting a good feel for the market. You will start to recognize trends.
This whole process will only take 2 months or so and sets you up for months of lower-stress productivity. Stop subscribing to get rich quick mindset. Good things require process and take time.

If this interests you, just start calling people! Just because you talk to brokers doesn’t mean you HAVE to buy something. Good brokers will hold your hand through the whole process. If a property was recently rehabbed or isn't more than 10 years old...then use 40% for expenses when you do your quick-check math. If a property has under market rents...don't pay for what the property "COULD" be operating at. Pay what it is currently worth knowing that when you increase the rents you will cover your mortgage and realize equity appreciation. Just use common sense.

If you think you can spend your resources in a better place, or make the “jobless” leap without buying your “castle”, then please do. This thread is for people stuck in a job or who are too timid to take a leap of faith without first building a small form of support.

I did not even touch on the fact that you can utilize an FHA 203-k loan, and get rehab construction rolled up into your loan amount, or the larger fundamentals of apartment investing, but that is because I am not trying to teach you how to be a guru here, I am simply providing a path to ease your monthly financial burden.

If you are going to make this move and want to hit a home run, DO YOUR RESEARCH and take a dive down the rabbit hole. If you don’t want to spend a ton of time learning how to hit a home run, that’s alright because you must remember that singles, doubles and triples (pun intended) still put points on the board in the long-run. Just get moving NOW!

Read some apartment investing books over the course of a few weeks and then plan your path to freedom carefully. Don’t shoot in the dark, but make sure you do in fact shoot. No deal will ever be perfect. The timing will never be right. Pull the trigger now.

Note: I am not a financial advisor or a lawyer and this thread is purely an opinion that I hope you can draw from. Purchase property, or invest, at your own risk.

PS. Buy in the winter months if you want to get lower pricing and less market competition.

G
Great post, I appreciate it.

Tiber

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 25, 2019
United States

4. Pull the trigger!

G
I'm a veteran looking to do this. We can get a home loan with no money down. Can that be combined with an FHA loan..?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I'm a veteran looking to do this. We can get a home loan with no money down. Can that be combined with an FHA loan..?
Uh? It's two different programs. Either way, you must occupy the property, put the utilities into your name, and have it as your primary residence.

Rufoskyline

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 1, 2022
San Diego, California
Thank you @G_Alexander, I will be moving to Massachusetts Boston, and planning on doing this. I am getting out of the military in April. I will be using the VA loan and I will be posting my journey and maybe someone could find it valuable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.