The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting from not making enough

Outforpresidents

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 1, 2019
Pensacola Florida
Hi everyone I'm a 30-year-old guy from Pensacola working as a retail clerk at a store.

I've created this account over 2 years so I can finally find a way to escape my current situation.

I make around 24k a year as a clerk.
I work around 5-6 days a week and have done for the best part of the last decade.
Most of the jobs I've had during this time share one characteristic: low pay.
They also require very little concentration, brains, or even value.

Here is a few jobs I've had over the years: cashier, dishwasher, delivery guy, waiter/busser.
I got comfortable in this routine until 2018 and never thought past the next week.

I worked all the time and spend the rest of my free time escaping into movies, games and all the modern distractions.

I've tried to become a freelance copywriter by January 2019 made a whopping 500$ ..... in a year.

I spent more time consuming than creating.
I bought books, courses, and forum memberships instead of going out there and getting customers.
I sunk all my time and money into this pursuit but I failed to get any traction at it.
I gave up by the end of December 2019 since I wasn't getting any traction.

I just finished reading MJ DeMarco Millionaire Fastlane and figured I'd formally introduce myself to the forum and plan my next move.
As of now, my goal would be to make an extra 1000$ monthly.

To most of you, it's not a lot of money but I've learned first hand but it would make a difference in my life and I can see myself doing what's needed to hit such a goal.

I'm looking into mostly offline businesses right now like window cleaning, pressure washing, or even carpet cleaning ( thanks to @ice cream Kid's )

It's nice to meet you all and I hope to learn a lot from you guys

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi everyone I'm a 30-year-old guy from Pensacola working as a retail clerk at a store.

I've created this account over 2 years so I can finally find a way to escape my current situation.

I make around 24k a year as a clerk.
I work around 5-6 days a week and have done for the best part of the last decade.
Most of the jobs I've had during this time share one characteristic: low pay.
They also require very little concentration, brains, or even value.

Here is a few jobs I've had over the years: cashier, dishwasher, delivery guy, waiter/busser.
I got comfortable in this routine until 2018 and never thought past the next week.

I worked all the time and spend the rest of my free time escaping into movies, games and all the modern distractions.

I've tried to become a freelance copywriter by January 2019 made a whopping 500$ ..... in a year.

I spent more time consuming than creating.
I bought books, courses, and forum memberships instead of going out there and getting customers.
I sunk all my time and money into this pursuit but I failed to get any traction at it.
I gave up by the end of December 2019 since I wasn't getting any traction.

I just finished reading MJ DeMarco Millionaire Fastlane and figured I'd formally introduce myself to the forum and plan my next move.
As of now, my goal would be to make an extra 1000$ monthly.

To most of you, it's not a lot of money but I've learned first hand but it would make a difference in my life and I can see myself doing what's needed to hit such a goal.

I'm looking into mostly offline businesses right now like window cleaning, pressure washing, or even carpet cleaning ( thanks to @ice cream Kid's )

It's nice to meet you all and I hope to learn a lot from you guys
Welcome. Have you watched this:

Outforpresidents

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 1, 2019
Pensacola Florida

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yes, Andy, I've watched that video yesterday.
Thank you for linking it.
The next step is just to choose something to go into and get moving.

I have a bad habit of staying stuck in the "research " phase because of a lack of confidence and self-discipline.
I'm probably not alone in that situation either
You’re not alone. It’s easy to overthink.

Maybe check out the audios in these threads:

Outforpresidents

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 1, 2019
Pensacola Florida
You’re not alone. It’s easy to overthink.

Maybe check out the audios in these threads:
Thank Andrew, I have ordered 1500 business cards to sell myself as a window cleaner.

The plan is to get some storefront account ( recurring if possible).

Here is the overall plan

I've done the easy part of setting up gmb profile, website etc..

But I haven't done anything to generate customers yet

Last edited:

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum. It seems as if you realized the sidewalk is not a good place to be. Now how to find the ramp to the Fastlane? There is no shortage of shared knowledge in this forum, but you'll need to put in the time to find and read it. I recommend you set aside at least an hour every other day to read through the GOLD and NOTABLE threads. While you do that pay attention to the world around with new eyes, eyes that are searching for how to add value.

Looking forward to your progress and success.

Kwiksliver

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 21, 2021
England, UK
Setting up as a window cleaner is great, but who's going to be cleaning the windows? You? If so how do you propose that it's going to change your life? If you've read the books you know that your time is value. You need to think BIGGER! Don't just get a window cleaning contract...get 100 of them! Hire staff to to the legwork which gives you time to manage Your business...aim for the moon and at worst you'll end up on top of the world!! THINK BIG!!!

Outforpresidents

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 1, 2019
Pensacola Florida
Setting up as a window cleaner is great, but who's going to be cleaning the windows? You? If so how do you propose that it's going to change your life? If you've read the books you know that your time is value. You need to think BIGGER! Don't just get a window cleaning contract...get 100 of them! Hire staff to to the legwork which gives you time to manage Your business...aim for the moon and at worst you'll end up on top of the world!! THINK BIG!!!
True, that is not the end game for the fast lane.

It's my plan to get off the side walk ASAP.

Also, most of the guys who blew up their businesses(Joshua latimer and Chris lambrinides) started doing the work themselves and then started hiring.

Their businesses started as a one man operation and then turn into a human resource source system with the founder creating systems and focusing on high value activities like marketing.

I have wanted time freedom for a while but I haven't done enough to make a reality.

Right now I'm sinking 48 to 54 hours of my time into my day job and my first move is to put an end to that.

After, I can train other people to do the job, deliver good service and scale.

I appreciate your comment , I definitely struggle with thinking small and only aiming at targets I know I can hit.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think in his position starting out and cleaning windows is fine. All he is trying to do right now is increase his hourly rate.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thank Andrew, I have ordered 1500 business cards to sell myself as a window cleaner.

I've done the easy part of setting up gmb profile, website etc..

But I haven't done anything to generate customers yet
I suspect that this is also where your copywriting pursuit went wrong. You did the easy stuff and didn't concentrate on the getting customers part.

How do you plan on generating customers?

Outforpresidents

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 1, 2019
Pensacola Florida
I suspect that this is also where your copywriting pursuit went wrong. You did the easy stuff and didn't concentrate on the getting customers part.

How do you plan on generating customers?
Yep, that's exactly what happened, buying courses, buying books.
I wrote copy for products I enjoyed but not hitting a lot of potential customers.

I did join Upwork but never had a lot of customers on there
( did some work for a book publisher, a supplement company, and a few more jobs)

I wasn't sending enough offers out there to get traction
Also, I wasn't confident in my ability to deliver conversions or even produce decent enough results to warrant a check.

My plan is to walk into storefronts with quite a bit of glass, ask for the manager
pitch on getting his windows cleaned.
If they say or stall, I'll just follow up later and work some volume until I get sales

The end goal is to get them on a recurring basis.
This is not going to be easy but it beats sitting on my a$$ and doing nothing.
Also, I'll get some door hangers and hit up a few neighborhoods.
These will be time-intensive but other window cleaners made it work to get themselves started.

My biggest problem is just sticking with a defined plan of action until it pays off really.\

Once I do both of those actions, I'll find out if this is viable or not.
I already have the business cards ordered so I might as well use them.

I don't have a lot of money to use better methods right now (FB ads , or google or direct mail )

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
I recommend JNE on YouTube he just reached I believe 800k in revenue in his 4th year in biz doing softwashing/window cleaning & pressure washing.

I'm pretty familiar with Josh Latimer as well and Brandon Vaughn. Interesting industry I thought I was going to get into in the past. JNE interviews alot of them/ is good good friends with them.

I also recommend focusing on residential, you'll be able to charge more for quality. Commercial might be nice with the often reoccurring contracts but they aren't going to be looking for anything besides the cheapest window cleaners.

Get those fliers out baby and start going door to door. Don't even waste time on business cards yet man. You could be hustling windows starting tomorrow. If they say no just move onto the next door. When you finally get someone and do their property. Go to the next door and say hey I just did your neighbors windows, while I'm in the neighborhood I can do yours as well for 10% off or whatever.

As for the youtube channel I was recommending here's the link. I also recommend Kieth Kalfas on YT.

Outforpresidents

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 1, 2019
Pensacola Florida
I recommend JNE on YouTube he just reached I believe 800k in revenue in his 4th year in biz doing softwashing/window cleaning & pressure washing.

I'm pretty familiar with Josh Latimer as well and Brandon Vaughn. Interesting industry I thought I was going to get into in the past. JNE interviews alot of them/ is good good friends with them.

I also recommend focusing on residential, you'll be able to charge more for quality. Commercial might be nice with the often reoccurring contracts but they aren't going to be looking for anything besides the cheapest window cleaners.

Get those fliers out baby and start going door to door. Don't even waste time on business cards yet man. You could be hustling windows starting tomorrow. If they say no just move onto the next door. When you finally get someone and do their property. Go to the next door and say hey I just did your neighbors windows, while I'm in the neighborhood I can do yours as well for 10% off or whatever.

As for the youtube channel I was recommending here's the link. I also recommend Kieth Kalfas on YT.

Thanks, Parks, I appreciate the recommendation
I follow most of those guys especially Boby ( JNE) and Keith Kalfas.

The most important that kept coming up was just working on marketing first.
His story is truly inspiring he went from losing his job to creating a real business.

Obviously, it wasn't easy, clean or a smooth ride but he made it to the other side and much further beyond.

You're right, residential window cleaning pays much better for sure.

Pressure washing is also quite lucrative, there are at least ten pressure washers in my city ( Pensacola, FL).
Thanks for the clear plan, I can just go out there and get moving.
I don't have a flier but I can make one fairly quickly and just get some sales

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
My plan is to walk into storefronts with quite a bit of glass, ask for the manager
pitch on getting his windows cleaned.
I'm a fan of old fashioned approaches.

As long as you have the proper logistics in place, stay consistent, and get the right message across during the conversations, I'm positive you'll get your first customer in no time.

Captain Hoodie

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 17, 2017
Canada
Your story is very similar to mine.

I did some exterior cleaning last summer and even paid for yelp ads to try and get customers while working my dead end job. The yelp ads weren't effective in my area and the cost per click was wild. I only got 1 job from a few months of ads and quite a few clicks & hundreds of dollars later. Oh well, you gotta try and experiment and see what sticks. That one job I did get was the best job I had.

Once spring comes and the temperatures go back up I will try again using facebook ads instead and see how they fair.

I'm also thinking of going door to door because that allows me to pick the houses I wish to potentially clean. Certain houses are way simpler to work on when youre a one man team than others also it allows you to take on houses that could be worth more.

I'll be watching your progress and i'm sure i'll learn some things from you.

Outforpresidents

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 1, 2019
Pensacola Florida
I'm a fan of old fashioned approaches.

As long as you have the proper logistics in place, stay consistent, and get the right message across during the conversations, I'm positive you'll get your first customer in no time.
Thank you Itzin, I appreciate the encouragement

Your story is very similar to mine.

I did some exterior cleaning last summer and even paid for yelp ads to try and get customers while working my dead end job. The yelp ads weren't effective in my area and the cost per click was wild. I only got 1 job from a few months of ads and quite a few clicks & hundreds of dollars later. Oh well, you gotta try and experiment and see what sticks. That one job I did get was the best job I had.

Once spring comes and the temperatures go back up I will try again using facebook ads instead and see how they fair.

I'm also thinking of going door to door because that allows me to pick the houses I wish to potentially clean. Certain houses are way simpler to work on when youre a one man team than others also it allows you to take on houses that could be worth more.

I'll be watching your progress and i'm sure i'll learn some things from you.
I've heard of a few guys who made social ads work for them so it's possible.

Find Park's message in this thread and you can get yourself started.
Good luck with it

Outforpresidents

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 1, 2019
Pensacola Florida
I just used the WADM to decide what to do next.

The result was web design, this terrifies me for a few reasons I'm not sure I have the discipline required to learn enough and keep going.
And I don't want to mess things up for prospective clients
So here's go nothing

There's one person I think I can help.

My martial arts instructor, his website could use some work.

Now I choose window cleaning because I read it could produce some money and it doesn't seem too hard to master

But I also read MJ's words on money chasing, so I'm going to help my instructor with his web site and go from there.

Best case scenario I switch to web design, at worst I'll gain some momentum.

This worries me a bit but I think I can live with the worst-case scenario.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...