The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting business in 2022 is a bad idea??

Kimblis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 4, 2020
Lithuania
Hey guys, considering the things that are happening around the world right now- Huge inflation, ads getting more expensive and blocked, war, post covid stuff, possible recesion coming (people are less likely to spend on non necessities and to spend in general), is it still a good idea to start a business, or is it better to dive deeper into the job that makes you salary and education, and wait a bit till things will calm down a bit? What do you reckon?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Based on your questions, sounds like you don't have the mental fortitude to be an entrepreneur.

Uncertainty is part of the gig. If you are waiting for uncertainty to minimize or disappear, you'll wait forever.

With this type of thinking, you should stick to the illusive security of a job.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
huge inflation, ads getting more expensive and blocked, war, post covid stuff, possible recesion coming (people are less likely to spend on non necessities and to spend in general), is it still a good idea to start a business,
Giving all the things you've mentioned, it is a BETTER idea to start a business.

MJ has talked about this in his books about how little control and security you have in a job.

Read them.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
I would say that the things you're thinking about are sensible economic factors that will absolutely impact the probability of success with your business - thinking about these things is a good sign.

The problem you have, is that if you're facing all of these factors - shrinking economy, rapid inflation and stagnant wages - in that scenario your career is going to be a rough ride - and one company downsize is going to see you panhandling in no time.

At least with a business you're not capped by whatever your daily wage is. You have far more control over what you can do.

One last thing - there's a lot of people currently scared about the situation happening in the world, what if you aimed a product or service at them?

I'm seeing a lot of groups like HU etc are aiming directly at these people and making a lot of money doing so.

Offer people a light in the dark so to speak.

Kimblis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 4, 2020
Lithuania
I would say that the things you're thinking about are sensible economic factors that will absolutely impact the probability of success with your business - thinking about these things is a good sign.

The problem you have, is that if you're facing all of these factors - shrinking economy, rapid inflation and stagnant wages - in that scenario your career is going to be a rough ride - and one company downsize is going to see you panhandling in no time.

At least with a business you're not capped by whatever your daily wage is. You have far more control over what you can do.

One last thing - there's a lot of people currently scared about the situation happening in the world, what if you aimed a product or service at them?

I'm seeing a lot of groups like HU etc are aiming directly at these people and making a lot of money doing so.

Offer people a light in the dark so to speak.
There are some golden gems here. At least someone understood that I'm not trying to be just negative and scared. All I think is that it might really impact building startup from the ground like you said. Also don't have much money to start from, so yeah, It would mean building it on the side of the full time job with putting nearly all wage to it ( I'm from Lithuania where salaries aren't that big compared to something like USA) . But yes, there is no better time than just NOW whenever it is. However what I'm interested in- what are you doing differently considering all of these things? Are you searching for investors and trying to get money and build fast, or are you doing the opposite and doing all of it alone? Are you trying to keep costs as little as possible even if it means that you grow really slow, or are you going as big and fast as possible? Are you switching marketing sources since ads got so much more expensive? (also getting blocked).

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Hey guys, considering the things that are happening around the world right now- Huge inflation, ads getting more expensive and blocked, war, post covid stuff, possible recesion coming (people are less likely to spend on non necessities and to spend in general), is it still a good idea to start a business, or is it better to dive deeper into the job that makes you salary and education, and wait a bit till things will calm down a bit? What do you reckon?
Regardless of what is happening on Wall Street or in Washington, you can make money as an Entrepreneur.

There are always opporunities.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
There are some golden gems here. At least someone understood that I'm not trying to be just negative and scared. All I think is that it might really impact building startup from the ground like you said. Also don't have much money to start from, so yeah, It would mean building it on the side of the full time job with putting nearly all wage to it ( I'm from Lithuania where salaries aren't that big compared to something like USA) . But yes, there is no better time than just NOW whenever it is. However what I'm interested in- what are you doing differently considering all of these things? Are you searching for investors and trying to get money and build fast, or are you doing the opposite and doing all of it alone? Are you trying to keep costs as little as possible even if it means that you grow really slow, or are you going as big and fast as possible? Are you switching marketing sources since ads got so much more expensive? (also getting blocked).
Yeah I saw you were from Lithuania, I'm based in EE myself, a lot of people have no idea how it works in these countries - and just how hard it is to get started. I'm originally from the UK - and don't let anyone tell you starting a business is difficult there, compared to a lot of EU countries it's so easy.

If I were starting right now I'd be looking to solve a need that people have and sell an emotion - like fear/escapism/legit rapid income streams etc. Then I'd do everything myself - locally and then regionally to sell this idea.

The HU I said about is literally access to a discord group - the amount of people buying access to that for 50 Euro or whatever it is - is insane.

You could just do courses, or locally tell people how to be resilient in the changes to economy etc or do a mental health spin etc.

All you need for that are a website (go cheap and do Hugo+Github pages) and then advertisement can be done yourself via social media + affiliate OR if you just want to get up and running instantly - hire someone cheaply on Upwork to passively run your socials and help you with marketing strat etc.

It sounds really simple - but where most people fail is their idea never gets seen. But like in your situation you could corner the Lithuanian Market to start with, which has far less competition - create quality inbound content if you're selling an information product (i.e courses etc) and then build a following and go from there.

Information products are a good idea for beginners, as all you need is time.

Sėkmės my friend.

Kimblis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 4, 2020
Lithuania
Yeah I saw you were from Lithuania, I'm based in EE myself, a lot of people have no idea how it works in these countries - and just how hard it is to get started. I'm originally from the UK - and don't let anyone tell you starting a business is difficult there, compared to a lot of EU countries it's so easy.

If I were starting right now I'd be looking to solve a need that people have and sell an emotion - like fear/escapism/legit rapid income streams etc. Then I'd do everything myself - locally and then regionally to sell this idea.

The HU I said about is literally access to a discord group - the amount of people buying access to that for 50 Euro or whatever it is - is insane.

You could just do courses, or locally tell people how to be resilient in the changes to economy etc or do a mental health spin etc.

All you need for that are a website (go cheap and do Hugo+Github pages) and then advertisement can be done yourself via social media + affiliate OR if you just want to get up and running instantly - hire someone cheaply on Upwork to passively run your socials and help you with marketing strat etc.

It sounds really simple - but where most people fail is their idea never gets seen. But like in your situation you could corner the Lithuanian Market to start with, which has far less competition - create quality inbound content if you're selling an information product (i.e courses etc) and then build a following and go from there.

Information products are a good idea for beginners, as all you need is time.

Sėkmės my friend.
That actually touched a really interesting point that would need a separate discussion itself, but it is really important- If you go into a local market, you most likely to use local language there. This will make it way harder to reach outside the country (for example if you have a huge course on something, you would have to remake the course in English or any other language if you would like to go outside Lithuania boundaries). How you deal with that? Do you still start within your country and then take all that huge time needed to create a separate product in different language (or in case if you have a website in lithuanian just to add translations with some decent package), or do you start with more widely acceptable language like English and offer that to Lithuania market by also trying to get some reach from other countries as well from the start?

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
That actually touched a really interesting point that would need a separate discussion itself, but it is really important- If you go into a local market, you most likely to use local language there. This will make it way harder to reach outside the country (for example if you have a huge course on something, you would have to remake the course in English or any other language if you would like to go outside Lithuania boundaries). How you deal with that? Do you still start within your country and then take all that huge time needed to create a separate product in different language (or in case if you have a website in lithuanian just to add translations with some decent package), or do you start with more widely acceptable language like English and offer that to Lithuania market by also trying to get some reach from other countries as well from the start?
The thing with going local is competitors outside will never have the reach and connection you do - even if they hire an upwork translator and copywriter - I have been around that field for a long time as I previously ran a translation studio - and business models like dropshipping and SaaS that tried to expand into the countries where I keep a watch often failed unless they had the money to hire multiple full-time people for each expansion.

So that's the benefit.

The other benefit is so long as you've done your socials correctly - when/if you expand into the English-speaking market you aren't doing it alone you're doing it with the 10/100/1000+ people that are now loyal to your brand.

This is how some brands feel like they 'come from nowhere' because suddenly they have all of this social proof behind them.

Another way to do it is to continue to corner EE countries where true English speaking is low and utilize your loyal followers to help dominate these countries.

It sounds counter-intuitive but the thing is people massively overlook the fact that large swaths of these countries have low % of B2 level English speakers and many have aversion to foreign companies over local perceived offerings.

For me, I like this way.

If you start in English and offer to lithuanian I think you become like a small fish in the huge sea, hoping to get a bite.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
Some of the biggest regret you will ever have a few years from now, if you don't start building something, is that you should've started years earlier, make the mistakes then, and be on your way to something bigger.

I'd smack my 18 year old self to pieces if I had a chance for giving up things halfway, not having the balls to build a brand, or calling local businesses.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Keep the job *and* start a business?

2) “Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don’t have.”

3) Some businesses do better when times are tough anyway.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I’m not one that is yet qualified to talk much (im in my building phase of entrepreneurship), but I did hear a good quote I can’t remember where from but someone said

“it’s never a bad time to start a good business”

Hope this helps

EDIT; I think it was Gary vee

Last edited:

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
During a recession and tough times, money doesn’t just disappear, it simply changes hands and transfers. There are arguably even more opportunities during times of turmoil. More problems to solve means more opportunities.

BAUCE

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jun 21, 2021
1) Keep the job *and* start a business?

3) Some businesses do better when times are tough anyway.
#2 is genius and certainly hits home

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Yea, I didn't mean to be so terse in my response. But as I stated, if these are the questions on someone's mind, they likely aren't cracked up to be an entrepreneur. Timing is rarely right for anything. When people wait for "good timing" what they're actually doing is giving themselves an excuse to never act. It's mental gymnastics to make themselves feel good.

To parallel another question that I find equally a waste of time...

"Is it a good time to get into shape and prioritize my health? There are a lot of fast food restaurants in my city, my family eats all junk food, and it's hard to find healthy food."

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Finding these factors as excuses for not starting a business as such is like refusing to live for fear of dying. A true entrepreneur sees opportunities in every obstacle. .when a situation arises whether it is good or not, he must do so that the balance weighs more on his side.

PS: I never wait, I always do with what I have with what I have where I am. I never wait..

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Based on your questions, sounds like you don't have the mental fortitude to be an entrepreneur.

Uncertainty is part of the gig. If you are waiting for uncertainty to minimize or disappear, you'll wait forever.

With this type of thinking, you should stick to the illusive security of a job.
Hey MJ I was curious, what is your opinion on people who don't currently have the mental fortitude to become an entrepreneur or the right qualities, like discipline, focus etc. Would you suggest that they don't get into the entrepreneurship game at all because it's probably not for them, or would you say it's worth working on all those problems to achieve something bigger?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hey MJ I was curious, what is your opinion on people who don't currently have the mental fortitude to become an entrepreneur or the right qualities, like discipline, focus etc. Would you suggest that they don't get into the entrepreneurship game at all because it's probably not for them, or would you say it's worth working on all those problems to achieve something bigger?

I created a new thread with your question because I think it warrants its own discussion. And it is a very good (and tough) question.

Keith15203

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jan 19, 2021
Virginia
Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
If you believe that economy is going down this also means that some sectors will thrive.

When people are on survival mode their consumer pattern changes and bargain goods such as cheap gadget, cheap food and 2nd hand goods will thrive.

Divorce lawyer will have more business, unfortunate for the society as a whole.

Yogi_Fastlane

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 3, 2022
You're mindset is not yet into Entrepreneurial way of thinking.
All entrepreneurs have gone through this,
it's not the dearth of opportunities, it's your inability to find the gaps and the courage to pursue them, you've to think like a leader and abolish the herd mentality.
The context you've provided is the ideal scenario for many entrepreneurs, I would argue that the biggest wealth transfer have all occured during Recessions and Depressions.

The recent Covid induced recession created the most Billionaires and Millionaires in recent memory.

If you do not have the opportunity given the family responsibilities or anything else of that kind, you shall continue with the Job, it may give you comfort and make you feel secure for the time being and it's absolutely fine if you can live life in the slowlane.

Entrepreneurship is tough and it's for people who can make tough choices, persevere in the face of adversities and failures and still continue to fight determined to come on top.

Matt33

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Apr 14, 2013
FL

010-fit(960,960).7503b712.jpg

There is always opportunity to start a business. Focus on solving people's current problem; that is what is most on their mind.

Think of advertising. If you want to grow and advertise a new business, to aware people of how you are solving their problems, you will need to advertise to maximize your growth speed. When the cheap money party ends, and interest rates go up, inefficient businesses lose their ability to get cheap easy funding, and are culled, other firms will be cutting their brand advertising, and CPMs in everything will go down, and it will be a great opportunity for companies whose products are those which people truly need. They will be able to grow their brands with cheap advertising, albeit at a lower CVR because of the recession, but still an opportunity for the right company.

Right now, I'd see opportunity selling survival food in bulk, branded so that it looks like a good deal. And give them a good deal, but make the AOV nice and high.

Or, you could create a business which addresses an inefficiency in the food or commodities market, which would bring down prices for the consumer. You could use technology to achieve this.

Or, sell leads for people looking to offload their houses quickly, before the market turns.

Or, create an eCommerce store selling USDA Organic certified dry goods, like rice, beans, cereal, etc. in bulk. There is growing demand for Organic certified food, and the prices have been skyrocketing for this food.

Or, software which helps to save people money by comparing which companies have raised their prices the most among their industry/niche.

Or, an eBook on how to sell your house quickly, before the real estate downturn of the next 3-4 coming years.

Or, energy saving products.

Or, free YouTube videos on how to prepare for the recession, and upsell them an actually useful, need-filling product critical to what your channel is about.

Or, create a website for trading used electronics, which there may be an increase in demand for during a bad, prolonged, inflationary depression (recession hopefully).

Provide value in the things which are most needed in people's lives.

Attachments

• 1654087338661.png
    1654087338661.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 2
  • sgs-gdp.gif
    sgs-gdp.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 2
  • sale!.png
    sale!.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1652363601670.jpg
    1652363601670.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 2
  • market-cap-to-gdp.png
    market-cap-to-gdp.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 2
  • housing bubble.png
    housing bubble.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
see all these as opportunities and you are ready to start the business.

how CAN you?

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
I created a new thread with your question because I think it warrants its own discussion. And it is a very good (and tough) question.
Thanks you, I can't wait to read it.

Maliardo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Mar 25, 2022
I think starting a business in 2022 is a great idea.
I will tell you this. if you have an idea to build your business, it's just worth starting.
I too at first sat and wondered if I should start, but then an entrepreneur I know said one thing until you try it, you never know if your business will burn out or not, there are two ways to go.
Either you invest everything you can and grow, or your business goes bust and you start a new business.
Now, I already have my own business, which is going pretty well right now.
I've started to learn a lot that images have a strong impact on end-users because they can provide compelling samples and proof of how certain products and services work.
And I also recently came across a very interesting article https://newmediaservices.com.au/do-customers-prefer-to-use-live-chat-instead-of-sending-an-email/ , it will be very useful for people who have already started their business or want to start one.
It says that customers prefer online chat, with 46% more users finding it more convenient. Email certainly has its charms, too: more than 29% of customers use it instead of other forms of communication online.
I think this will be quite useful information)

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.